HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Possible foot injury?

Old
06-17-2013, 03:23 AM
deadphish23

vCash: 500
Possible foot injury?

I took a shot (not a very hard one) off of my middle instep tonight. Hurt like hell for about 10 minutes and then went away. It was just pick up hockey so not much adrenaline or anything. While getting undressed I notice there is a dull pain in the area between the base of my toes and the top of my foot.

I'm OK walking, but the dull pain kicks in as I flex my toes at the end of a stride. I have been icing it and that improves the moderate pain, but heat seems to amplify it. There is absolutely no swelling or bruising anywhere. It seems strange that this pain is not really at the point of impact.

Unfortunately I do not have insurance at this time, and in lieu of paying out of pocket for exams and x-rays and such, I call on the wisdom of this fine board for any theories, thoughts, or advice.

TLDR:
- took a wrist shot of my instep
- left rink with dull pain as I flex my toes
- no bruising or swelling
- ice reduces pain, heat increases it
- ideas?

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:03 PM
AIREAYE

umm shouldn't you be seeking the advice of a medical professional instead?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ice, rest, and take Advil. If it's not better in three days, I would go get it checked out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:37 PM
deadphish23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ice, rest, and take Advil. If it's not better in three days, I would go get it checked out.
Thanks, Jarick. That's the plan for now. Just seems so strange that there is no bruising or swelling whatsoever.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
iLandHer

Usually there is swelling on a break, at least in my experience, so I'd just leave it be for a few days as someone suggested. Otherwise, what else are you going to do? It'd suck to pay for xrays and not have needed them.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:31 AM
deadphish23

After a full day of RICE my foot has improved a great deal. Some very subtle bruising has surfaced, but I certainly seem to be on the mend. It's tempting to play in my pick up group tonight, but I suppose I should continue to fully heal before lacing up again.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:31 AM
jazzykat

I have a recommendation, don't play for a couple of weeks and let it mostly heal. Also go on youtube and do some rehab exercises. If you hurt it again (unlikely I imagine) then it is almost certainly going to be worse.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:14 PM
ganave

If you can put weight on it it's probably minor. I'm pretty fragile but I don't bother with the doctor unless something hasn't been working right for weeks after a night in the net.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's what happened to my foot. Severe pain that I couldn't put any pressure on, was going to go to the doc for X-rays the next day but the pain went 90% away. Then I got re-injured two weeks later when I jumped the boards and landed on it hard. Played through it about 75% speed and one leg. Healed again within a few days but I still get random aches and pains.

I think there's two ways to do it:

1. Go to the doctor whenever you get hurt, get proper evaluation and treatment, let it fully rest and recover before playing again.

2. Advil and ignore the injury, play again when the pain is low enough to be tolerable, and put up with the odd aches and pains for the rest of your life.

I usually fall into category #2 where I still have left knee, right shoulder, and both arches occasionally hurt. And I've been playing hockey for 7 years recreationally as an adult...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
deadphish23

Well a week later and I have resumed playing. The pain comes and goes depending on how high my activity level is. The pain is a fraction of the original pain level...more of a lingering effect, but still present and localised in the metatarsal area.

I go on vacation this weekend and will be off skates for several days, so that's a nice stretch to do some more healing I suppose. Perhaps I should be off of feet my a lot more, but damn it's hard to stay away from the rink.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
jazzykat

One last thought, your age+overall health also plays a big part in how quickly you can recover. I'm out with a non-hockey related (recurring)ankle injury that 10 years ago I would have been playing again on already.

Jarrick got it right (mostly) with regards to not getting proper medical attention and playing through it. Depending on how bad you mess something up, no matter how much medical attention you get you may start feeling it randomly act up.

The most value I've taken from a doctor for the lesser/recurring injuries is the physical rehabilitation aspect (that they often don't do). Obviously if you break something/blow it out then having a doc put you back together is also necessary.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote