HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #65 - Adam Tambellini

Old
06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
aufheben
Jung at heart

vCash: 50
Big, scoring winger who can skate. Sounds good to me. Then again, what the **** do I know about prospects. I also like the UND aspect of this.

Edit: Didn't realize we had 3 picks within 15 spots, that's pretty awesome, all things considered, lol.

Last edited by aufheben: 06-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.
aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not really all hindsight. At the time you weigh all the factors, and Stepan had legitimate reasons to go that high. Being a beast at Shattuck where some of the best talent was assembled was a great indication that he could be a special player in that class.

Tambellini cut his teeth in Edmonton youth leagues, this is yet another Edmonton based pick, yet I'm supposed to think he was the bpa.

Not gonna happen.
???

He went lower than a lot of people thought. So it's not like this is some out of the blue pick.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:10 PM
eco's bones

North Dakota is an excellent program and hopefully he develops into a good player.

This draft leaves me a bit cold though and if Adam is anything like his Dad or his brother he'll probably play in the NHL but he won't make a great impact. Both of them were slick skaters and nifty with the puck but neither of them had much grit or determination. Both of them could be knocked around and they weren't great defensive players either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:29 PM
as15

I have watched him quite a bit, and I think he will spend 3 years at UND. Do a re-draft in 5 years and this kid will be picked Top-20. All he needs is to build strength. His best attribute is his release, its at an above average NHL level right now.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post
I have watched him quite a bit, and I think he will spend 3 years at UND. Do a re-draft in 5 years and this kid will be picked Top-20. All he needs is to build strength. His best attribute is his release, its at an above average NHL level right now.
Thanks for the assessment. Most everyone seems to think the only reason he went so late in the draft was his weight and the fact that he's going to take a few years. He's a pretty damn skilled player.

Any way you can tell us a bit more what you like about him?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Jim Cerny with Adam Tabellini

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Is this the one that people were saying had an attitude problem?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Seems like a Fogarty/Nieves mold?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Jonas1235

He used to play for the Vernon Vipers, my hometown team. A fantastic organization, has missed playoffs twice in 30 years. I guarantee that his dad made the team trade him to Surrey Eagles. That's where any attitude starts from. Teams never trade these kind of players in junior A. If he wanted to play for Surrey he would have chose them in the first place.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
He used to play for the Vernon Vipers, my hometown team. A fantastic organization, has missed playoffs twice in 30 years. I guarantee that his dad made the team trade him to Surrey Eagles. That's where any attitude starts from. Teams never trade these kind of players in junior A. If he wanted to play for Surrey he would have chose them in the first place.
This is like the reverse Adam Banks effect

"My son is a Hawk."

"No, he's being traded to the Mighty Ducks. He lives in that district"

"Dad, I just want to play hockey"

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:55 AM
McRanger

Unlike with Fogarty and ND, I have faith in the NoDak program.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Crease

I like the idea of swinging for the fences with offensive prospects but a player who projects to needing 4 years of NCAA doesn't strike me as someone with high-end potential.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
LetterJ

What Gordie had to say:

Quote:
They took center Adam Tambellini, the son of former NHLer Steve Tambellini, with the No. 65 pick — their first of three third-round selections — left wing Pavel Buchnevich, and fellow forward Anthony Duclair out of the QMJHL.

“I think a lot of Steve Tambellini,” Clark said of Adam’s lineage. “His other son was shorter and faster. This one is taller and more of a playmaker. Both of them have Steve’s shot — an NHL shot. He needs to put a little bit of weight on and he is going to have time to put that on at North Dakota.”

Buchnevich is committed to playing in Russia’s KHL, and Tambellini is still several years away from making a difference with the Rangers.

“It was interesting how it went because you just have to wait and watch them all go off the board,” Clark said. “In the end, we really liked Adam Tambellini and the skill of Buchnevich.

“When you are looking at those guys after the third round, you’re looking for things that stood out.”
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...ter-long-wait/

LetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I like the idea of swinging for the fences with offensive prospects but a player who projects to needed 4 years of NCAA doesn't strike me as someone with high-end potential.
I think it has as much to do with physical development than anything else. Similar things were said about Nieves, Travis Zajac, and other "raw" picks throughout the years.

07-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

"I think alot of Steve Tambellini" - Clark

Did he draft Jeff Tambellini for the Isles ??

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Miz

Quote:
Did he draft Jeff Tambellini for the Isles ??
I thought he was drafted by the Kings?

Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
LetterJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
I thought he was drafted by the Kings?
. With Dustin Brown and Brian Boyle in the first round of 2003.

LetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Right, the Isles traded for him while Gordie was with them I believe.

Never ever liked the Tambellini's.

You have no idea what it was like opening a pack of hockey cards in the early 1980's and getting doubles of Steve Tambellini's card, and he was wearing one jersey in the picture but listed a different team cause he was traded so much

I hated Jeff Tambellini in his draft year. One trick pony, and that one trick was always overrated.

Now this kid. I'm not too thrilled but he can score and has some size, those are good qualities, right?

Old
07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
eco's bones

As hockey players Steve the father and Jeff the brother could be compared in my eyes anyway to someone like Eric Christensen. Nice skaters--nice hand skills and that's about it. Very little physicality and you wouldn't spot them killing penalties, throwing checks or haymakers very often. Not a gritty family. Steve was a passenger on some good Islander teams back in the 80's. Hopefully Adam isn't as bad as all that but I have to wonder just because the bios are pretty similar.

So we may have just drafted Eric Christensen the 2nd--hoo-****ing-ray.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Right, the Isles traded for him while Gordie was with them I believe.

Never ever liked the Tambellini's.

You have no idea what it was like opening a pack of hockey cards in the early 1980's and getting doubles of Steve Tambellini's card, and he was wearing one jersey in the picture but listed a different team cause he was traded so much

I hated Jeff Tambellini in his draft year. One trick pony, and that one trick was always overrated.

Now this kid. I'm not too thrilled but he can score and has some size, those are good qualities, right?
He can score, has size, can skate, and has a good, projectable body. Much higher upside than his one-trick pony brother, IMO.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Tawnos

With the physical development he needs, I can't imagine there's a better place for him than NCAA, where players go to become gym rats.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He can score, has size, can skate, and has a good, projectable body. Much higher upside than his one-trick pony brother, IMO.
But like we say alot around here, whats the use of that size when he doesn't know how or is unwilling to use it ?

Old
07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Baby Punisher

I'm sure this has been covered already, but 6'2" 169 pounds? My God someone get this kid a sandwhich. He is gonna get pushed around alot at the NHL level IF he makes it.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
But like we say alot around here, whats the use of that size when he doesn't know how or is unwilling to use it ?
Well, he's a TOOTHPICK right now, man. He's going to go to a great strength-and-conditioning school. I can't really blame him for not using his height when I could break him in half. Let's revisit this after a couple of years building his body up. He may very well learn to use it once he can do it without getting killed, lol.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Similar things where said of Jessmen. We all know how that turned out. I have to agree with you here. I don't think this kid will be an NHL player.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote