HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saku Koivu vs. Todd Bertuzzi

Old
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
KaptainKourage*

vCash: 500
Saku Koivu vs. Todd Bertuzzi

Saku have been drafted 21th overall, and Big Todd 23th overall at 1993 draft (cup year ! cup year ! cup year ! ) even if Bertuzzi had a biggest impact in the past, who you rather have right now in your team, and why ?

PS : I know those two guys are very different players, but I want to make a discussion on it because I think it could bring decent a decent conversation.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
GSK*

Right now...

Koivu is doing very well RIGHT NOW, Bertuzzi can't be a good captain after act like he was doing but if he was on the habs roster that would be a hudge add for the team, he's the type of players we need, but more then Koivu ? (lack of center)

I doubt.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
MasterD

I'd probably take Koivu, simply because I think Bertuzzi might have problems being confident he can play a physical game night-in-night-out, which is key to his success, after what happened.

Also, back in 94 before his injury Koivu was leading the league in scoring... I would have drafted him before Bert, because I think injury free Koivu would be a really great player, its too bad he/we've been unlucky about that.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I'd probably take Koivu, simply because I think Bertuzzi might have problems being confident he can play a physical game night-in-night-out, which is key to his success, after what happened.

Also, back in 94 before his injury Koivu was leading the league in scoring... I would have drafted him before Bert, because I think injury free Koivu would be a really great player, its too bad he/we've been unlucky about that.
I think it was 96-97, in 94 he was in Finland.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 12:28 AM
White Snake*

Yeah i think everynoe forgets the 1996-97 season. ON Dec 6th Koivu led the entire NHL in points. He was 3 points ahead of Joe Skaic and Peter Forsberg with two games in hand on them. After scoring the go ahead goal(which was beauty) Koivu put a beauty move at the blueluine and was kneed by Jeff Shantz and was out til March and never regained that scoring touch. Still a great player in my books but could've been something really special. THree weeks after his injury we went from 5th place to 13th in the conference. Managed to sneak into 8th mainly due to Recchi.

Imagine if Koivu statys healthy that year, Mario Trembley may still be the coach of the Habs.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's incongruous to use Bertuzzi and decent in the same sentence.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 01:44 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Koivu hands down! He's the kind of captain we need...a guy with intensity that can do everything to help your team. We need more Koivu's on our team.

Bertuzzi took a lot of time to start producing in the NHL...we aren't patient enough. We'd have gotten rid of him and labeled him a bust ala Jason Ward.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Talent Analyst

I ratter have Koivu . He's a center , what we need . He's a warrior , a good guys , a leader . He's also a very good player .

Big bert is a power-foward ,who don't want it .. but ... with media here and the accident with Moore , no-way that he can survive there . And he's not a leader and not a center ..

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:31 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Koivu although I have asked myself the same question before.
I was at that game Koivu got injured with my dad I will never forget it. It was the day after my birthday.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:38 AM
les Habs

Is this thread serious? Koivu's been a loyal servant of the club for years. That's not to mention how much he brings in terms of leadership now and more importantly what he brought in the past.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Koivu, no contest. Bertuzzi can't bring the whole package that Koivu can, he can't bring the leadership, the history, the pride, all the intangible stuff that basically doubles Koivu's value relative to what he does on the ice. For what they do on the ice, maybe it's close, but Bertuzzi seems to be slowing down, he seems to need good players around to complement him, he's an impending free agent, there are a host of other issues there that also conspire to make him less appealing to our team, and particularly to our team's needs up the middle, than Koivu. So in the grand total tally, it's not even close: Koivu in a landslide.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 11:25 AM
KaptainKourage*

Now that I had all this answers from Habs fans POV (and the reactions I except), im gonna ask the question on the general board.

Old
10-21-2006, 12:03 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Bertuzzi hands down

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 12:16 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Bertuzzi hands down
Can you elaborate why now ?

Old
10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Riffo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Bertuzzi hands down
x2

Much,much more talent, isn't as weak as Koivu.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:34 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm looking at this as a question of draft preference (i.e. had we taken Bertuzzi).
I think it's a matter of leadership vs ability. Bertuzzi has more ability, and presence during a game, though doesn't possess the leadership qualities Koivu does. Also, it seems that impact wingers are about a dime a dozen nowadays, but quality centres are really hard to come by. I'd take Koivu, but it really comes down to the needs of an organization.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

At the time he was drafted Koivu was one of the best players in the world. If he had escaped his serious injuries and illness he might have amassed 200 more career scoring points than Bertuzzi, who was a klutz when he played for the Islanders. Even with the knee injuries that have slowed him down, not to mention the poor quality of the Habs during most of his playing years, Koivu has averaged 0.81 point a game vs. 0.78 for Bertuzzi.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 10-21-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Habfan1234

Koivu. He has been the heart and soul of the Habs for at least the last six to eight years and, if it were not for injuries, would have been one of the top scoring players in the past decade. Moreover, Betruzzi has played well for only for a total of three seasons or so while Koivu has played well throughout his career, despite the said injuries. I still remember the game when Koivu was first injured at a time when he was tied with Forsberg in points (56). It was a knee-on-knee collision with Jim Cummins when he played for the Blackhawks. Ever since then, it has been a series of injuries for Koivu that took away a potentially prolific NHL career.

Habfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffo View Post
x2

Much,much more talent, isn't as weak as Koivu.
weak? Name me one time he backed away from ANYONE in the corner or infront of the net. That's heart, and I'll take Koivu with heart over Tuzzi with more talent ANY day of the week.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Koivu!

To really simplify thinggs, Koivu is a winner and Bertuzzi is a loser. Koivu makes the players around him better on and off the ice whereas Bertuzzi is an angry, whiny prima donna who simply isn't a functional ingredient to a winning team.

Saku is to Montreal what Derek Jeter is to the Yankees. They are both talented players who wear their heart on their sleeve and lead their teammates through adversity. These kind of athletes are very rare and are desevedly coveted for these attributes.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
weak? Name me one time he backed away from ANYONE in the corner or infront of the net. That's heart, and I'll take Koivu with heart over Tuzzi with more talent ANY day of the week.
Yeah. Define WEAK please. Is coming back from cancer to lead is team to playoff weak ? Is coming back from 1cm near to lose his eye to have a great start weak ? Is going in front of the net while yu know your teammate who have at the same time the biggest shot and the most non-accuarate shot is shooting right there ?