HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #75 - Pavel Buchnevich

Old
06-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
Double

06-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I love these boom or bust picks. People want sure-fire depth players? Our whole ****ing prospect pool is sure-fire depth players.

Hagelin has made it, Kreider will make it, Miller will make it, Lindberg will make it, Fast will probably make it. Not a single one is gonna be a top offensive talent.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:48 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I love these boom or bust picks. People want sure-fire depth players? Our whole ****ing prospect pool is sure-fire depth players.

Hagelin has made it, Kreider will make it, Miller will make it, Lindberg will make it, Fast will probably make it. Not a single one is gonna be a top offensive talent.

There's a higher chance of Kreider becoming a top end player than this kid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
There's a higher chance of Kreider becoming a top end player than this kid.
Maybe not this kid specifically but he's my least favorite of our 3 first rounders. Really high on Duclair.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

We'll either hate or love this pick down the line

07-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
We'll either hate or love this pick down the line
wouldnt it be more like love this pick or completely forget about him down the line?

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
wouldnt it be more like love this pick or completely forget about him down the line?
No people will complain about us taking a Russian. That said, I have very high hopes for the kid. Heck, he may be smaller, but in actual scoring, Buchnevich isn't much different from Nichushkin. He outscored him by quiet a margin in the U-18

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 AM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
No people will complain about us taking a Russian. That said, I have very high hopes for the kid. Heck, he may be smaller, but in actual scoring, Buchnevich isn't much different from Nichushkin. He outscored him by quiet a margin in the U-18
the work ethic is a concern. i always thought the whole russian reputation was overblown.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Pavel Buchnevich -- New York Rangers -- 75th overall

The Rangers didn't have any picks until the third round, but may have had the good fortune of the “Russian Factor” causing Pavel Buchnevich to tumble. He has first-round skills and could turn out to be a highly productive goal scorer if he reaches his full potential. Seeing as the Rangers didn't have a chance to select in the first round, Buchnevich affords the team a first-round caliber player at a range far below what his skills suggest. If the Rangers can lure him away from the KHL at some point, he could go down as one of the steals of this draft.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...steals-in-2013

He has two years remaining on his KHL contract. Mark Gandler is his agent.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:04 AM
DekeR

High end talents that fall into the third round always have an issue. My question is it easier to teach a decent projected third liner enough skill level to advance to the NHL or is it easier to take a high end skill level who has character issues and work on the mental game to get to the desired results? Bottom line to me-it's always a work in progress.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
And here I thought you were a cool guy.
Pfft. Criminal.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Synergy27

So, is this guy basically a Kabanov that hasn't even made his way over to NA yet? I'm fine with going for upside in thus draft. As a fan, it's not really fair to approach a draft that the team had already sold out on (no first our second) and expect it to be "successful". I like the lottery ticket approach this year.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
So, is this guy basically a Kabanov that hasn't even made his way over to NA yet? I'm fine with going for upside in thus draft. As a fan, it's not really fair to approach a draft that the team had already sold out on (no first our second) and expect it to be "successful". I like the lottery ticket approach this year.
Honestly, I don't. They need to be able to get players out of every draft. I wouldn't have cared if they got (2) 4th liners out of this one considering where they were picking, but they need to get players. Boom or bust players should be for drafts where you have stocked the cupboard with picks or moved back to acquire more picks.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:41 AM
broadwayblue

4th liners can always be had on the cheap through FA. I'm happy we went for risky picks with good upside.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

4th liner players are a dime a dozen. They can be found anywhere and everywhere. It's seems our whole farm system is full of 3rd and 4th liners.

Go for the home run every once in a while. Judging by what I've read we don't have anyone in the system with this skill set. Kreisler is a safer pick to be a good player but this guy can be a first liner type player. If it works then its incredible. If not then we aren't hurt. There will be another 3rd or 4th liner that can replace him.

Besides, I don't think the rangers threw caution to the wind here. Judging by how cautious they've always been with their picks I find it extremely disbelievable that they'd just throw away the pick. I'd be pretty confident to assume that they've done plenty of research on the kid, talked to him, and feel not only is he coming over but that they can work on his work ethic issues.

07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
4th liners can always be had on the cheap through FA. I'm happy we went for risky picks with good upside.
Why does it have to be one or the other ? High end skill or 3rd/4th liner, ya guys act like there is no in between !

You get the BPA period. That doesn't mean a guy who can only play when he's 10 feet from the net on either side of the ice.

There were still good overall hockey players available in round 3, guys that could become 1st and 2nd liners. Look back at recent drafts, you can find overall talents in the 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Let me ask you something, would you like to work with a coworker that constantly complains? A lot of people are heavy users of HFBoards and don't want to read complaining in every thread, especially considering most people actually don't think that the team is the worst thing in the history of the world. (I complain too, though I try to keep it to GDTs, though that doesn't always happen).
I choose not to associate with co-workers who constantly complain. And I've never said the team is the worst thing in the world. But the incompetence of this current regime is something that can't be ignored. If that ruins your reading experience, so be it.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
ColonialsHockey10

People seem to think we never make picks like this.

We actually do it every single year. Christian Thomas, Chris Doyle, Grachev, Roman Horak, Nieves, St. Croix and McColgan are all high risk, high reward picks in recent years outside the 1st round. The jury is still out or they didn't pan out, that's why the cupboard seems to be stocked with roleplayers.

The Rangers didn't do anything different this year (not that I have a problem with that).

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
People seem to think we never make picks like this.

We actually do it every single year. Christian Thomas, Chris Doyle, Grachev, Roman Horak, Nieves, St. Croix and McColgan are all high risk, high reward picks in recent years outside the 1st round. The jury is still out or they didn't pan out, that's why the cupboard seems to be stocked with roleplayers.

The Rangers didn't do anything different this year (not that I have a problem with that).
Kenny Roche, Billy Ryan, Nigel Dawes, Marcus Jonasen....

Old
07-01-2013, 11:26 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Let me ask you something, would you like to work with a coworker that constantly complains? A lot of people are heavy users of HFBoards and don't want to read complaining in every thread, especially considering most people actually don't think that the team is the worst thing in the history of the world. (I complain too, though I try to keep it to GDTs, though that doesn't always happen).
Coming from the guy who chirps the best player the Rangers have drafted since Leetch in every thread, that's pretty rich. Don't enjoy reading that after every game but you don't seem too concerned about the HF user experience then.

07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You're missing the point. I hate drafting players without compete levels. That's my pet peeve. Always has been. I don't care if he is 18 or 2.
I agree. And I'll trade a lower ceiling for a bigger heart.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Kenny Roche, Billy Ryan, Nigel Dawes, Marcus Jonasen....
I said in recent years, but yes.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
LetterJ

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 13h

Gordie Clark says third-rounder Pavel Buchnevich reminds him, in his style of play, in the late Alexei Cherepanov.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

LetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Coming from the guy who chirps the best player the Rangers have drafted since Leetch in every thread, that's pretty rich. Don't enjoy reading that after every game but you don't seem too concerned about the HF user experience then.
I already admitted it numerous times, but I mostly ***** in GDTs, when emotions are high and where everyone is doing it. I don't do it in EVERY thread. This guy does it 24/7 in every thread. THAT'S the difference.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 13h

Gordie Clark says third-rounder Pavel Buchnevich reminds him, in his style of play, in the late Alexei Cherepanov.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord
I don't remember if it was work ethic, but didn't Cherepanov also have some big red flags post-draft?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote