HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
He is no longer handling the Q

"The trio handling the CHL (Canadian Junior Leagues) are former Flyer Mark Greig (WHL), Dennis Patterson (OHL) and Todd Hearty (QMJHL)."

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675644
So, you're saying it's time to panic?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
everyone panic
Read my mind.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
As much as Pronger will provide feedback to guys like Morin, Hagg, etc....I really think Morin is going to blossom under Derian Hatcher's eye. If Morin can become a Hatcher type player but with better skating, the league will take notice. I also noticed that big Sam wasn't an invite to the U20 Summer Camp. Hopefully the big fella will get to the prospect camp in Philadelphia, listen to what the coaches say, and then go back to junior and get started on putting it all together. Like I said in many posts about Sam, we're probably looking at 5 to 6 years before he really makes a mark on the NHL. Hopefully the Flyers will be patient with him as there's going to be some growing pains.
I think him not going to u20 camp is a blessing in disguise. He needs 60 games next year

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
King Fish

I guess the London Knights are like the crimson tide of junior hockey!
Roll Tide!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Which is what zadorov currently is even if his offense doesn't develop
Morin is a better skater than Zad. THere is something very alarming about zad's skating.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Morin > Zadorov IMO. Morin is a better skater, is more athletic and has higher iq on the ice. I've never liked zad. I liked morin before the draft, but expressed my concern over the fact that he was a late riser. I'll maintain that I do definitely think he's an NHL player. I'm certain of that. I'm just anxious to see whether he turns out to be a 1st pairing guy or a 3rd pairing guy. He has the potential to be a top pairing shutdown guy with good mobility and a bomb on the pp, but could just as easily be a limited ice time 3rd pairing defenseman.

It's simply too early to tell given his age and how much he's played. I will say that I do not think we're done. I think Lecavalier is signed and one of couts or Laughton is moved for a young defenseman.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Morin is a better skater than Zad. THere is something very alarming about zad's skating.
Link?

Everyone has said he skates very very well for a huge D man

Old
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
He is no longer handling the Q

"The trio handling the CHL (Canadian Junior Leagues) are former Flyer Mark Greig (WHL), Dennis Patterson (OHL) and Todd Hearty (QMJHL)."

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675644
But he did scout Morin:

Morin, scouted by former Flyer Simon Nolet, is intriguing because of his size and physicality...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...efensemen.html

"Simon Nolet and Todd Hearty spent a lot of time following Sam around," Holmgren said. "They're very excited that we were able to draft him."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e_defense.html

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Pierre still credited Nolet as a scout up there. He might not be the main scout anymore but I think he still does scouting up there for us.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Krishna

McKeen's on Morin

Old
07-01-2013, 11:37 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
McKeen's on Morin

I really believe that this kids offensive ability is going to surprise a lot of people in the next few years. I don't see any reason why he can't develop a strong 2-way game and I think the flyers took him knowing that.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
puzzle

This guy lives really close to me in Quebec and I have a few friends in common with him. He seems dedicated to hockey and really has a great attitude. He may take time to developp, but he's going to be a really good defensive defenseman in this league. He won't be a puckmover, but remember a guy like Chara isnt really a good puckmover either. Morin can only improve, and I think he'll be a good #1 Dman, or a great #2.

puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Todd Hearty handling the Q changed after Nolet had been scouting Morin for a while.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think him not going to u20 camp is a blessing in disguise. He needs 60 games next year
Well there's two camps a summer and a winter. Some of the kids on the summer invite list might be playing in the NHL next year.

Morin's still probably on the outside looking in but if he has a strong start to the season he might find himself at that winter camp. It wouldn't be the worst thing if he made the WJC's.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I really believe that this kids offensive ability is going to surprise a lot of people in the next few years. I don't see any reason why he can't develop a strong 2-way game and I think the flyers took him knowing that.
I think we'll find out this upcoming year. He's one of the younger players in the draft, so it's not crazy to think he's a little behind development wise. I'm not willing to write off his offensive ability just yet. I think next year will give us a better idea, as he'll almost be the same age next year that Jones was this year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Imagine if Homer got his preferred choice in Tom Wilson in last years draft on top of Morin in this draft? That would have been some serious size and physicality in back to back first rounders.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Bryz4shiz

The thing I don't like about this pick is that it's very possible that Morin reaches his full potential, but it's also very possible it take close to a decade for that to happen. Think about Chara on the Islanders or during his first few years with the Sens.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Imagine if Homer got his preferred choice in Tom Wilson in last years draft on top of Morin in this draft? That would have been some serious size and physicality in back to back first rounders.
Tom Wilson would be one of Couturier's wingers this year while Laughton is expected to be the 4th line center.

I think one of Laughton or Schenn should be moved outside, but I'll leave that process up to Lavi. Not like I have much of a say in the matter.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
The thing I don't like about this pick is that it's very possible that Morin reaches his full potential, but it's also very possible it take close to a decade for that to happen. Think about Chara on the Islanders or during his first few years with the Sens.
Chara had 23 and 39 points his first two years in Ottawa. His first three in New York were nothing to write home about though. That's why I said with Morin, when he gets to the NHL, you're looking at a 5 to 6 year window before he really hits his stride, same with guys like Chara.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Meh, the same could be said about any pick though really. It's just as likely that Zadorov takes a longer time to develop than Morin. I'm not too worried about that. Send him back to juniors and let the contract slide (or sign him at the last second before his rights expire...I don't know the rules with that). Let him go at his own pace and make it to the NHL in 2015 or 2016.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
When you take into consideration what was selected before and after our pick wouldn't that be a good thing?

Old
07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Tom Wilson would be one of Couturier's wingers this year while Laughton is expected to be the 4th line center.

I think one of Laughton or Schenn should be moved outside, but I'll leave that process up to Lavi. Not like I have much of a say in the matter.
They both had some similarities regarding hype leading up to the draft. Most hyped up their size, physicality, and pugilistic skills. Also both didn't produce much statistically during their draft year until the playoffs.

Wilson took the next step the next year so lets hope Morin can do so also.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Having slept on it, I guess they've watched him infinitely more than I have. It's not like they're terrible at this, they drafted Giroux late in the first after all.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:36 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

I know we all get you want to move someone to wing :-p Not saying I disagree but let them earn the minutes.

I really hope Morin turns into a stud defender. I trust Homer in the first round and Chris Pronger I always trust.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I know we all get you want to move someone to wing :-p Not saying I disagree but let them earn the minutes.

I really hope Morin turns into a stud defender. I trust Homer in the first round and Chris Pronger I always trust.
I'm starting the think that the most likely scenario (as long as his offense doesn't bust completely) is basically something similar to Tyler Myers.

Young players finishing the season strong offensively and making dominant headway in the postseason is seemingly the sign of a breakout season the following year; at least it's something that's been apparent in a lot of cases involving the Flyers, whether prospects currently in the CHL or young guys already in the NHL.