HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the the 177th selection in the 2013 entry draft, the Ducks select Miro Aaltonen

Old
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
With the the 177th selection in the 2013 entry draft, the Ducks select Miro Aaltonen

Welcome to the Ducks!

Last edited by Ducks DVM: 06-30-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

About time we were going Finnish again!

From EliteProspects:
Quote:
A fairly small forward, Aaltonen can play as a center or in the left wing. He is a goal-scorer with good puckhandling and creativity. He also has very good playmaking-ability and is a useful assett on the man-advantage. Aaltonen skates well and has decent top-speed. He works hard but lacks physicality and needs to add plenty of strength. The 2012/2013 season was an important one for Aaltonen who took a big step forward in the summer and started to get on the board regularily in the SM-liiga. However, he missed a great part of the 2nd half of the season after breaking his ankle at the World Junior Championships. (Matias Strozyk, 2013)
He scored 11 goals and 16 points in 33 in the Finnish top league this year, but he's also 20 years old already, so it's not his first year of draft eligibility. Again, a bit undersized, but talented.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:28 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I like this one. Part of the U20s and he showed some good upside. He's a bit on the small side but he already has pro experience in the SM-Liga. Actually one of the guys I wanted in this round. Even though I really wanted Emil Djuse.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Exit Dose

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Here is what I wrote on the Draft thread:

Quote:
I'm not sure about Aaltonen's NHL potential, but I do like him as a player. Smart, responsible, and skilled. I guess you could say there is some similarities between him, and former Ducks finnish draft pick Petteri Wirtanen.

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Antti Aaltonen.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Barf.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothpick View Post
Here is what I wrote on the Draft thread:
That's not saying much, though. Wirtanen had a cup of joe and that's it, if I remember right.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:35 AM

He looked really good in the WJCs before he got injured. I'd like to see him come over to play in the AHL next year

44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Ryan Lasch?

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Gaps

He's not actually very far off from guys like Markus Granlund talent-wiseat this point. He's had a couple of serious injuries, but he's bounced back both times and especially last season was great from him development-wise. He has a nice scoring touch, is a good skater, works hard and leads. Good package for a 6th rounder IMO.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:01 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
He's not actually very far off from guys like Markus Granlund talent-wiseat this point. He's had a couple of serious injuries, but he's bounced back both times and especially last season was great from him development-wise. He has a nice scoring touch, is a good skater, works hard and leads. Good package for a 6th rounder IMO.
Agreed. Either he makes it as a top 6 player in NHL or he doesn't make it at all. Would like to see him in Norfol in Autumn.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Meh.

Would rather see us drafting Lipsbergs (for obvious reasons )
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=51912

But he was also Theodedors teams best scorer. Really don`t understand this, i think he would be a solid pickup even in 5th round or 4th.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Meh.

Would rather see us drafting Lipsbergs (for obvious reasons )
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=51912

But he was also Theodedors teams best scorer. Really don`t understand this, i think he would be a solid pickup even in 5th round or 4th.
Pretty sick that he went undrafted.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
That's not saying much, though. Wirtanen had a cup of joe and that's it, if I remember right.
I was just saying he reminds me of him when they were the same age. Wirtanen was just bigger and better defensively, while Aaltonen is more talented offensively. They are hard-working players and they both have a good understanding of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Agreed. Either he makes it as a top 6 player in NHL or he doesn't make it at all. Would like to see him in Norfol in Autumn.
I'm not so sure about that. I mean obviously he isn't ever going to be a 4th line bruiser or anything, but I could see him making it as a top9 forward, maybe in a similar role as Vladimir Sobotka plays for the Blues.

And I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Norfolk this season.

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothpick View Post
I was just saying he reminds me of him when they were the same age. Wirtanen was just bigger and better defensively, while Aaltonen is more talented offensively. They are hard-working players and they both have a good understanding of the game.
IMO Aaltonen is twice faster than Wirtanen also much better offensively in every category.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Silent Quacker

Thought I'd bump this thread

Our late pick had a nice start in FEL. Hat-trick in the first game. 5th in league scoring. Given that only so few games played and his team has played more games than most other teams. But still. Playing against "professionals"

GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SOG %
7 4 2 6 -1 0 2 16 25,0

I was so excited that we got him so late. I thought he was one of the best scorers in last finnish junior team. Even with such first rounders in the same team as Barkov, Teravainen, and Granlunds.

Might be that we never see him as a duck but you never know. Quite one-dimensional player and small. All offence and little anything else. Good in european style hockey, but that transition to NA is always a big question mark.

Silent Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2015, 04:19 AM
Finnpin

Miro getting some love in NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771379

"the organization may have uncovered a diamond in the rough in center Miro Aaltonen (2013, No. 177), who continues to impress in Liiga, Finland's top professional league"

Miro had strong season and will play in the top team Kärpät next season. One of the best clubs in whole Europe. Though he is already 22 but players have been late bloomers even in older years. Kemppainen for example signed to Boston from Kärpät at 27.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44162

Last edited by Finnpin: 06-23-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Opak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

"the organization may have uncovered a diamond in the rough in center Miro Aaltonen (2013, No. 177), who continues to impress in Liiga, Finland's top professional league"

Miro had strong season and will play in the top team Kärpät next season. One of the best clubs in whole Europe. Though he is already 22 but players have been late bloomers even in older years. Kemppainen for example signed to Boston from Kärpät at 27.

Yeah, it's a shame he isn't our prospect anymore. If Bob wanted to hang on to his rights, he should've signed him by now. Now it looks like Aaltonen will take the Donskoi route.

Opak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opak View Post
Yeah, it's a shame he isn't our prospect anymore. If Bob wanted to hang on to his rights, he should've signed him by now. Now it looks like Aaltonen will take the Donskoi route.
Theoretically we can still sign him but so can the other 29 teams. Considering our lack of center depth in the minors it's very telling to me that we didn't sign him right now. I mean he may just really like to play in Finland but I have little doubt the Ducks aren't the team he'd prefer to play for in the NHL. But that's a big long-shot anyway.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

That's the first time I've heard of him referred to as a potential gem. I wonder what changed.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote