HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 11:47 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
I am a big fan of Andy Murray and I wish he was welcomed back into the Canadiens organization. Allowing him to develop our first round pick would be a way to let him do that for us externally. Murray loves the Habs, always has and would put extra time into McCarron. Only reason London put extra time into Tinordi was family connections.

Maybe that extra time is more necessary than OHL hockey.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can't believe I'll say that....I mean I am a NCAA fan but I always prefer our prospects to play in the CHL ....but geez do Andy Murray have SOLID arguments....

https://twitter.com/Habsfuture/statu...14896225898497
RT @WSpy: Coach of the Michigan Bronco's on TSN690 now, says they just measured Mike McCarron recently at 6'6" 240lbs with very low body fat

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/sta...15236706918400
Andy Murray: "If McCaron plays 2yrs at WMichigan he'll work on speed & skill. He will be playing in NHL in 2 years, maybe even 1yr from now"

Will McCarron be a circus show where he'll concentate in fighting while in order to make him a top 6, make him indeed concentrate in his speed and skills....I know he could do that in London too....but then, will the fighting help him to develop or will it make him more a sideshow than anything else. I'm on the fence...wouldn't be oppose to see him in Western Michigan even if they are MY enemy....
It is definitely obvious that if McCarron goes to London he gets more games and ability to fight. On the other hand if he goes to college they can with less games slowly work on increasing his offensive skill level and skating. One scenario we get a guy that learns to fight better. Other scenario we might just get one of the biggest and heaviest power forwards in the NHL with still adequate fighting abilities but more important big time player when the games count and dman can't control him in front of net.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Can't believe I'll say that....I mean I am a NCAA fan but I always prefer our prospects to play in the CHL ....but geez do Andy Murray have SOLID arguments....

RT @WSpy: Coach of the Michigan Bronco's on TSN690 now, says they just measured Mike McCarron recently at 6'6" 240lbs with very low body fat

Andy Murray: "If McCaron plays 2yrs at WMichigan he'll work on speed & skill. He will be playing in NHL in 2 years, maybe even 1yr from now"

Will McCarron be a circus show where he'll concentate in fighting while in order to make him a top 6, make him indeed concentrate in his speed and skills....I know he could do that in London too....but then, will the fighting help him to develop or will it make him more a sideshow than anything else. I'm on the fence...wouldn't be oppose to see him in Western Michigan even if they are MY enemy....
Of course they'll make him practice his fighting, but at the end of the day Hunter wants him to become the best player he can be. So he'll obviously work on his skating, hands, shot etc... None of us can say what will be better for him, but I would rather have him play more games per year in a pro style of game.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We said the same thing about Tinordi. He didn't turned bad! He worked on his defensive game, transition game + physical game. I prefer London A LOT more.

And the Hunters brother trade a lot to make sure they draft McCarron. They won't let him go this easy, espicially on a mémorial cup season.
Geez...I forgot...the Mem Cup!!!! Okay I change my mind! Go London!

Old
07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

The Bros will work on everything. Also, given that they host the of the Memorial cup, they'll want to do everything to have the best team.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post

heh yup

and if he goes his first 5 games without scoring and with no fights, he'll be a complete bust
might be the best comment about Habsfans anywhere.. the highs and the lowssssssss

Old
07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

And if McCarron really wants to be the next "Lucic", he better go to the OHL!!

Old
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
They also waited five years for him to become the player he was this year and, oh yeah, he was playing with Johnny T.
waiting 5 years is expected with drafts, and we got our own jonny T now

Old
07-01-2013, 12:18 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

He won't make it as a pure skill player however, he needs to develop the physical&tough mofo aspect of his game if he wants to be a good NHLer.

Sure he'll develop speed&skill at WMichigan but it won't help him playing tough guy in the NHL. In the OHL he'll definitely learn that AND he will still develop speed and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
And the Hunters brother trade a lot to make sure they draft McCarron. They won't let him go this easy, espicially on a mémorial cup season.
The memorial should be a pretty convincing argument to make him take the CHL route!

Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I didn't like his interview. I have to watch it again but he seemed like he thinks too highly of himself. "I like to fight".

We'll see if you like to fight when Lucic comes after you.

And if he wants to fight, go to the OHL playing for Hunter.
lol Lucic is 6"4 , 220 , ...maccaron is ALREADY 6"5 230 at freaking 18, so no matter what he's already got the size to TAKE on a lucic, ..i dont care how big lucic looks like on the ice, if IM 6"5 230 and i see lucic coming my way...i know hes a experienced fighter, but i sure as hell aint as "scared" as i would be if i was 6"2 210.

the pick is really interresting because im really HIGH on lucic, ..you watch him out there on the ice and hes easily one of if not the biggest forward on the ice at ALL times and when he turns it on, boy does he turn it ON, ..to see mccarron have that size and weight at 18 really makes you cant wait to see him play a couple of exhibition/preseason games to see just how much of a monster he'll look like out there for us and I for one and pretty excited, i dont CARE if we used a FIRST round selection on him, hes OURS now and we should all be thrilled anyhow

we have guys like collberg and kristo just waiting to jump into our top 6 one day (hopefully), and then we get guys like mccarron and de la rose to round everything out and its like OMG why didnt you draft another collberg! like what??

Old
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
If the Habs grabbed Fucale at #25 and McCarron at #36 posters would be jumping for joy.

Its about perceived value on draft day. If a player falls its a steal, if a player is grabbed early its a reach.
Absolutely true.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol Lucic is 6"4 , 220 , ...maccaron is ALREADY 6"5 230 at freaking 18, so no matter what he's already got the size to TAKE on a lucic, ..i dont care how big lucic looks like on the ice, if IM 6"5 230 and i see lucic coming my way...i know hes a experienced fighter, but i sure as hell aint as "scared" as i would be if i was 6"2 210.

the pick is really interresting because im really HIGH on lucic, ..you watch him out there on the ice and hes easily one of if not the biggest forward on the ice at ALL times and when he turns it on, boy does he turn it ON, ..to see mccarron have that size and weight at 18 really makes you cant wait to see him play a couple of exhibition/preseason games to see just how much of a monster he'll look like out there for us and I for one and pretty excited, i dont CARE if we used a FIRST round selection on him, hes OURS now and we should all be thrilled anyhow

we have guys like collberg and kristo just waiting to jump into our top 6 one day (hopefully), and then we get guys like mccarron and de la rose to round everything out and its like OMG why didnt you draft another collberg! like what??
if we got another 'smallish' skilled player people would be screaming we need size. we get size with skill that can get better and people scream we needed skill.. and they wonder why players do not want to sign here as free agents

Old
07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Memorial Cup for the win!

Old
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Memorial Cup for the win!
For sure. I forgot that memo. Not only it means playing in a big stage, but it also means that London will build, again, a really great team. Bo Horvat has to be back with London, play McCarron with him.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Not a lot of other families do that without knowing them. They were definitely clapping and it looked like Karl mouthed something to him. They were letting him have his moment with his family which is right. PK has many chances to congratulate him.
I know but still... Pk is Montreal best player and a leader and that kid just got drafted by Montreal... Costs nothing to high 5 him...

Old
07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
For sure. I forgot that memo. Not only it means playing in a big stage, but it also means that London will build, again, a really great team. Bo Horvat has to be back with London, play McCarron with him.
EIther that or Domi, win win situation.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Can we stop talking about Lucic? This is sad. Are Boston really in the heads of that many fans here? I know the kid said he liked to model his game after Lucic's, but come on... let him be his own player.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can we stop talking about Lucic? This is sad. Are Boston really in the heads of that many fans here? I know the kid said he liked to model his game after Lucic's, but come on... let him be his own player.
This has nothing to do with boston and while i agree all the lucic talk is getting overwhelming, again it has nothing to DO with boston, this is about the TYPE of player, and right now the TYPE of player that this guy most resembles off the bat IS unfortunately lucic and lucic unfortunately plays for boston.., and there's also bickell somewhat who just STARRED in the playoffs for chicago

if you can find me another 6"4 220+ winger playing in the NHL and thriving so that we may compare them, i am all ears (eyes.)

Old
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
There's only one Lucic. He's one heck of a player but this is getting ridiculous I agree. Also, Lucic had a very favorable development curve and he was a tremendous athlete when he was drafted.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Hopefully he goes to London. Memorial Cup is the cherry on the sundae

Old
07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Doesn't seem to really have any hands to speak of, which is worrisome. Not quite sure what we're hoping his offensive game to evolve to but I'll defer to others who have watched him more (namely, timmins) and choose to be cautiously optimistic.

I have to wonder, is he a player who plays tough and hits to hurt because he likes it? Or is he more a guy who just does it because that's what he's told to do? I always got the impression that everyone always told Tinordi to be mean like his dad, I just never really saw all that much nastiness in him. Big, tough, strong, definitely. Mean? Kinda sorta. I wonder where Mccarron falls on this spectrum. Guy's already talking about fighitng lucic or being the next lucic and I'm having a hard time finding any footage of him fighting. I hope he doesn't think that's something you just pick up at a weekend seminar.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
ChoseLa

Tinordi never sounded or acted like a meanie, he will just do what it takes to help his team. McCarron claim ti enjoy it and to be part of his game.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't see the Lucic comparison again 'cause when people think of Lucic, they don't think of Lucic the hockey player and how he improved his skills. They talk about how dominant a fighter he is. The idea, and I know my fellow HF members, they want a guy who will beat Lucic down in a fight. And frankly, while everything can happen, I don't see it till we have enough proof that he can.

As of now, I'm comparing McCarron way more to what a Byfuglien was able to do up front than a Lucic.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I like this bit from a TSN article, wet dream if he come anywhere close to be a Lucic for the Habs.

Quote:
Ultimately, Bergevin said he was very satisfied with the player the Canadiens ended up getting with their first choice, right-winger Mike McCarron.

McCarron is listed at six foot five, 228 pounds and would provide the Habs with much-needed size up front.

"This is a very physical player and he has character," Bergevin said. "He's still very young, and he will put on weight and get stronger. He has really good potential."

The Michigan native, selected 25th overall, has been compared to Milan Lucic, the Boston Bruins' forward who has given the Habs headaches in recent years.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
I don't see the Lucic comparison again 'cause when people think of Lucic, they don't think of Lucic the hockey player and how he improved his skills. They talk about how dominant a fighter he is. The idea, and I know my fellow HF members, they want a guy who will beat Lucic down in a fight. And frankly, while everything can happen, I don't see it till we have enough proof that he can.

As of now, I'm comparing McCarron way more to what a Byfuglien was able to do up front than a Lucic.
Hey, that's a really good comparison, I think. Nice one.

Doesn't have the shot of a byfuglien, though, it seems.

Closed Thread