HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft: 2nd Pick - Marc-Olivier Roy (F)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
  #51
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
they have roy, bunz, hoivinen, tuohiima...

i know none of them project to be hall of fame goalies....but neither did any of the dudes past fucale.....

hell...maybe he'll just sign a Euro/NCAA goalie and get the new scrivens/fasth
^i hear yuh! think of it this way....Montreal picked Zack Fucale and they already have Carey Price...Dallas picked Philippe Desrosiers but already have Kari Lehtonen and Jack Campbell, who went #11 overall in 2010. Pittsburgh has Fleury but took Tristan Jarry...i just wanted them to take one measly goalie....

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:58 AM
  #52
Dangerdanger
Registered User
 
Dangerdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Well, I can't say I've seen him play but after watching his interview I'm definitely cheering for him. He's got a pretty infectious personality and he should get on well with the group of guys.

Any chance we'll see him at the WJC's?

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:57 AM
  #53
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If he ends up a Burrows/Marchand type, I'll be thrilled
Exactly. These Quebec players seem to all have an element of the skill game to them, even if they're in 3rd/4th line roles (at least while starting out). It makes them a threat to score - which is more than can be said when compared to OHL/WHL players going in the same rounds. Often times these guys are bigger bodies but have stonehands.

Burrows, Marchand, Pageau, Roussell, etc

Will be interested to hear more fan input into how he plays, and what his skills are. Haven't seen even one game of this kid play before.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
  #54
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^i hear yuh! think of it this way....Montreal picked Zack Fucale and they already have Carey Price...Dallas picked Philippe Desrosiers but already have Kari Lehtonen and Jack Campbell, who went #11 overall in 2010. Pittsburgh has Fleury but took Tristan Jarry...i just wanted them to take one measly goalie....
They will get a goalie for sure undrafted or a free agent.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:05 PM
  #55
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
And picked who? Who was much better than Roy and the subsequent picks?
I would have picked Robert Hagg every day of the week (and twice on draft-Sunday...). I think he could have gone top 25 in this draft and I was on my toes until the very end hoping that no one would pick him ahead of us... Then we traded and he was picked up at 41.

Anyway, I am not going to cry about it. I just think it would have been a better move to grab him as I think that he has a bigger chance of making it to the big show as soon as he learns to be more consistent. 2nd pair PK specialist who can play big minutes if necessary is my guess when it comes to his potential upside.

Ok, I am done. No more complaints.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
  #56
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,613
vCash: 500
the more I read about him, the more I love this prospect...great pick at 57

unfortunately he's comfortable at RW than C

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
  #57
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 500
He, alongside mostly everyone from this draft, will be at prospect's camp? Yes? No?

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
  #58
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,467
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the more I read about him, the more I love this prospect...great pick at 57

unfortunately he's comfortable at RW than C
Things can change. He's still years away

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
  #59
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I would have picked Robert Hagg every day of the week (and twice on draft-Sunday...). I think he could have gone top 25 in this draft and I was on my toes until the very end hoping that no one would pick him ahead of us... Then we traded and he was picked up at 41.

Anyway, I am not going to cry about it. I just think it would have been a better move to grab him as I think that he has a bigger chance of making it to the big show as soon as he learns to be more consistent. 2nd pair PK specialist who can play big minutes if necessary is my guess when it comes to his potential upside.

Ok, I am done. No more complaints.
Yeah, Hägg where he was picked is an amazing pick up by the Flyers. If he puts his game together he could be another top swedish defenseman. He's got pretty much everything you want from a dman he just needs to match all the pieces.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  #60
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the more I read about him, the more I love this prospect...great pick at 57

unfortunately he's comfortable at RW than C
He himself said he's a center first and foremost.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
  #61
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,613
vCash: 500
Hello I have seen plenty of Marc-Olivier Roy since he came into the league. Was mostly an afterthought in his first half of season, but made his way to our 1st line with Paquette and Clapperton and that line has been great for us ever since. They've been producing at a torrid pace for more than one calendar year. Roy is mostly a RW but was a C before he entered the Q.

He would have been drafted much earlier if it wasn't for size, but then again he is 5'10 which isnt so bad, he just needs to bulk up. He's got amazing speed, to me he is the fastest skater available from the Q this year. Great playmaking abilities as well, Roy often makes unbeliveable passes and can really create scoring chances. Figures his favourite player his RNH.

Some of you are thinking of him as a future 3rd or even 4th liner? No way. First of all he is too frail to play a grinder game at the NHL level imo. Plus, he is way too skilled and thinks way too much offense to be considered just a 3rd liner. He is great defensively, sure, and is very smart on the ice. But if he makes the NHL and is just a 3rd liner, he will be an offensive-minded one.

He reminds me a bit of Sergei Kostitsyn, fast, amazing vision, hands and playmaking abilities. Of course Roy is a lot more dependable than SK and doesnt have issues like him, but the offensive skills are similar. Roy imo is a great pick and should wow you guys in training camp with his speed and hands. He was also the first hometown boy to play with the Armada! (born in Blainville).

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:21 AM
  #62
oilpen
Registered User
 
oilpen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cole Harbour
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Hello I have seen plenty of Marc-Olivier Roy since he came into the league. Was mostly an afterthought in his first half of season, but made his way to our 1st line with Paquette and Clapperton and that line has been great for us ever since. They've been producing at a torrid pace for more than one calendar year. Roy is mostly a RW but was a C before he entered the Q.

He would have been drafted much earlier if it wasn't for size, but then again he is 5'10 which isnt so bad, he just needs to bulk up. He's got amazing speed, to me he is the fastest skater available from the Q this year. Great playmaking abilities as well, Roy often makes unbeliveable passes and can really create scoring chances. Figures his favourite player his RNH.

Some of you are thinking of him as a future 3rd or even 4th liner? No way. First of all he is too frail to play a grinder game at the NHL level imo. Plus, he is way too skilled and thinks way too much offense to be considered just a 3rd liner. He is great defensively, sure, and is very smart on the ice. But if he makes the NHL and is just a 3rd liner, he will be an offensive-minded one.

He reminds me a bit of Sergei Kostitsyn, fast, amazing vision, hands and playmaking abilities. Of course Roy is a lot more dependable than SK and doesnt have issues like him, but the offensive skills are similar. Roy imo is a great pick and should wow you guys in training camp with his speed and hands. He was also the first hometown boy to play with the Armada! (born in Blainville).
Thanks for your insight. I've seen him live a few times, and what stuck with me was his speed. I hadn't heard of him, but he made me take notice 'cause the kid had wheels....

He's listed on nhl.com as 6'0, and the Armada website as 6'1. Did he have a growth spurt?

oilpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
  #63
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpen View Post
Thanks for your insight. I've seen him live a few times, and what stuck with me was his speed. I hadn't heard of him, but he made me take notice 'cause the kid had wheels....

He's listed on nhl.com as 6'0, and the Armada website as 6'1. Did he have a growth spurt?
The NHL website is probably using combine numbers.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  #64
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,613
vCash: 500
I remember seeing his height at 5'10, and honestly on the ice he looks very small. If he is indeed 6'0 then good for him, though!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  #65
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Hello I have seen plenty of Marc-Olivier Roy since he came into the league. Was mostly an afterthought in his first half of season, but made his way to our 1st line with Paquette and Clapperton and that line has been great for us ever since. They've been producing at a torrid pace for more than one calendar year. Roy is mostly a RW but was a C before he entered the Q.

He would have been drafted much earlier if it wasn't for size, but then again he is 5'10 which isnt so bad, he just needs to bulk up. He's got amazing speed, to me he is the fastest skater available from the Q this year. Great playmaking abilities as well, Roy often makes unbeliveable passes and can really create scoring chances. Figures his favourite player his RNH.

Some of you are thinking of him as a future 3rd or even 4th liner? No way. First of all he is too frail to play a grinder game at the NHL level imo. Plus, he is way too skilled and thinks way too much offense to be considered just a 3rd liner. He is great defensively, sure, and is very smart on the ice. But if he makes the NHL and is just a 3rd liner, he will be an offensive-minded one.

He reminds me a bit of Sergei Kostitsyn, fast, amazing vision, hands and playmaking abilities. Of course Roy is a lot more dependable than SK and doesnt have issues like him, but the offensive skills are similar. Roy imo is a great pick and should wow you guys in training camp with his speed and hands. He was also the first hometown boy to play with the Armada! (born in Blainville).
awesome!
I'm excited to see him at rookie camp this week

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:18 PM
  #66
hockeyjack89
Thrashers
 
hockeyjack89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Is he kind lf like a heart and soul, shot blocking kind of guy?

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
  #67
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Roy was traded to the Quebec Remparts today. Should be a good experience for him to play in the Memorial Cup next year.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
  #68
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Roy was traded to the Quebec Remparts today. Should be a good experience for him to play in the Memorial Cup next year.
Is Roy not a 94? Why wouldn't he be in the AHL or ECHL next year? I am assuming the Oiler's sign him

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 08:40 PM
  #69
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Is Roy not a 94? Why wouldn't he be in the AHL or ECHL next year? I am assuming the Oiler's sign him
With his injuries last year it may make sense for him to stay and try dominate on the Ramparts.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:46 PM
  #70
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
With his injuries last year it may make sense for him to stay and try dominate on the Ramparts.
Agreed, that is likely what's best for him and the team.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
  #71
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,467
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, that is likely what's best for him and the team.
Especially when you consider how many young guys we have down in the AHL

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:29 AM
  #72
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
Quebec wants to play him at center.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:49 AM
  #73
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Quebec wants to play him at center.
Might be an ideal situation. He had an injury filled year, so playing his 20 year season for the Memorial cup hosts as a center could end up being good for his development.

I don't see the negative stigma from playing your 20 year old season in this situation.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 12:20 PM
  #74
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Especially when you consider how many young guys we have down in the AHL
Yup, give him an extra year to get bigger and stronger as well as more confidence down in the Q. The Memorial Cup should be a huge experience for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Quebec wants to play him at center.
That's good news for us, we need some home grown centers to become NHLers one day.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 12:30 PM
  #75
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yup, give him an extra year to get bigger and stronger as well as more confidence down in the Q. The Memorial Cup should be a huge experience for him.



That's good news for us, we need some home grown centers to become NHLers one day.
Agreed, lets hope he stays healthy and rips it up in junior. With the additions to OKC this coming year I am almost as excited to see that team play as i am to see the Oilers. They have some beefy kids that should play like a team of wrecking balls. So yes leave him in junior, it can only help.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.