HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Minnesota isnt in our division anymore.

Unless you mean conference.

Either way, both deals were ridiculous if reports are to be believed.

The Isles got fleeced and the Devils did alright, but Im not a big fan of Schneider. I would rather have Nurse and whatever else would have been required.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Dubnykov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
He did quip on twitter to Hall about joining an Ironman thing
He did that because he was going to call him later in the day. He said that in his latest interview.

Dubnykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
oilersfan11

Also,why couldn't Craig Mactavish trade up with his 2nd round pick?

We could've had Fucale,now.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

The Isles got fleeced and the Devils did alright, but Im not a big fan of Schneider. I would rather have Nurse and whatever else would have been required.
I think that's the biggest positive out of MacT's draft performance. He didn't do anything stupid out of desperation.

And I think that's actually a bigger win than it sounds. New GM, lots of pressure to improve a struggling team. . . the ingredients were there for a bad trade.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Hopefully, you're right, because if Craig Mactavish can't make the much needed trades;we are most likely going to miss out on the playoffs for another season.
Like i've been posting in about every single thread, there's plenty of time.

It's stupid to give a guy an F- based on ONE DAY.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Halibut

I think MacT's performance so far has been fine, it's the PR machine that has sucked. Pinning everything that has gone wrong in the rebuild on Tambellini and suggesting MacT would ride in on a white horse and save the team was laughable. It's not so easy to trade build a team up when it's been so low and being "Bold" is just as likely to set your team back as it is to move it forward. You know who was a "Bold" Gm? Mike Milbury. Where'd he get the Islanders?

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Mentallydull

I love all the comments about how we should've been in on xxx player.

How do you know we weren't? How do you know the teams weren't asking for too much? From the reports a week or so ago, MacT was all over the place talking to teams - that's not good enough? Do we want a trade for the sake of a trade?

It wouldn't surprise me that if MacT pulled the trigger on some of these deals you'd all be *****ing about how we overpaid.

He's still in on Coburn and we'll see how free agency goes before there's any judgement from my side.

I liked how he drafted, so he gets an A from me so far.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Also,why couldn't Craig Mactavish trade up with his 2nd round pick?

We could've had Fucale,now.
His biggest blunder IMO yesterday.

Wanted a goalie all this time. Had the opp but decided against it to scoop up more later round picks.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:33 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Yeah, forgot about that. Either way, I'm glad MacT didn't try to match that offer if he had the chance. Gonna be another deal the Isles regret.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
His biggest blunder IMO yesterday.

Wanted a goalie all this time. Had the opp but decided against it to scoop up more later round picks.
If that was his biggest blunder then he deserves an A for his work yesterday. I don't know much about the later picks we made but missing out on a goalie prospect is hardly a blunder..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Meanashell11

Goalie smoalie, ever year you can pick one up for peanuts so why waste a 2nd and 5 years minimum developing them. We needed a stay at home stud D and got one who is no more than a season away. We can get a center.

MacT did fine, I can just imagine this place if he chose the Russian!

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I'll wait training camp starts. If any of Hemsky, Horcoff, or Belanger are on this roster. Then he failed. Then I'll wait until the end of the season to assess again.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If that was his biggest blunder then he deserves an A for his work yesterday. I don't know much about the later picks we made but missing out on a goalie prospect is hardly a blunder..
This.

MacT has done well so far.

Eakins was a good hire. Acton will bring some more fresh blood and not an 'old boy'. Sucks Smith and Bucky are still around, but it provides continuity.

Anything more than than the 7th overall and a little plus would have been a huge over payment for Schneider. Potentially for the best a deal didn't come off, although to anyone saying Dubnyk >/= Schneider ... really?

After the next week or so will be a better time to judge MacT as GM.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Meh, chances are Fucale busts anyway. Still would have been nice to have him.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
armandh01

B- for me.

I was hoping for a trade yesterday for Coburn but it wasn't a success. I can't blame it on him though if the asking price was ridiculous. Not a lot of moves in general were made. But it did waste currency.

Not mad about not trading up for Fucale, I think Edmonton needs to look to older European goalies.

Was perplexed at the trade down, I thought out Ana 2nd could of been used for that, at least the 2 3rd rounders (maybe not 4th).

Was very happy who he chose in the 3rd round. Very good quality vs. draft location.

Would of been happier with Zykov and Bognan. Slepyshev probably would have dropped to 4th round, but who knows.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
This.

MacT has done well so far.

Eakins was a good hire. Acton will bring some more fresh blood and not an 'old boy'. Sucks Smith and Bucky are still around, but it provides continuity.

Anything more than than the 7th overall and a little plus would have been a huge over payment for Schneider. Potentially for the best a deal didn't come off, although to anyone saying Dubnyk >/= Schneider ... really?

After the next week or so will be a better time to judge MacT as GM.
If you don't think Acton is one of the "old boys" you should look up the 1987-1988 roster.

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
I'm not mad about his performance other than him not being in on Bolland. If he was just sitting back I would have been ticked, but he went after Schneider and Coburne pretty hard.

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
was just the draft

I'm more concerned with roster turnover.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
dnicks17

Loved the draft.

And I can't really blame him for not making any trades.

There's virtually been none up to this point.

Obviously the prices are too high or something else has most of the GMs gun shy right now.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
If you don't think Acton is one of the "old boys" you should look up the 1987-1988 roster.
Does not mean he wasn't a great hire.. Check CBJ board and you will know how good he was for them. IMO MacT traded one time too many but o well.. Hopefully one of the extra 3rds and 4th amount to something..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
B- for me.

I was hoping for a trade yesterday for Coburn but it wasn't a success. I can't blame it on him though if the asking price was ridiculous. Not a lot of moves in general were made. But it did waste currency.

Not mad about not trading up for Fucale, I think Edmonton needs to look to older European goalies.

Was perplexed at the trade down, I thought out Ana 2nd could of been used for that, at least the 2 3rd rounders (maybe not 4th).

Was very happy who he chose in the 3rd round. Very good quality vs. draft location.

Would of been happier with Zykov and Bognan. Slepyshev probably would have dropped to 4th round, but who knows.
Just in regards to the bolded above...

Supposedly MacT and Holmgren met around 15 times yesterday and, although they didn't get anything done then, they're supposedly continuing talks.

It's not over yet

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
I am the Liquor

I bet they want Paajarvi.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
tiger_80

Amnesty buy-outs combined with cap going down will improve MacT's chances of addressing roster holes via free agency. I think he will land either a top 4 d-man or a top 6 LW.

IMHO, he will have to keep Horcoff for one more year and move Hemsky for a 3rd line winger, while eating 1-1.5M in salary.
Than move next year's 2nd plus a D prospect (Gernat/Musil/Davidson/Fedun) for defensive/top 6 help help.
The roster will look something like:

Dubnyk
X

Smid-Petry
J.Schultz-X
Belov-N.Schultz
Potter
Klefbom to the AHL

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
X-Horcoff-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Belanger-X
Smyth-Lander-Brown
Eager

Once RNH comes back, he bumps everybody down the depth chart.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:24 PM
GDU

His most significant move and most important has been to hire eakins which i give him an A for.

In the draft there were 7 trades for players, that means about 25 other teams did nothing. We were in on at least two of those guys, clutterbuck and scheinder. clutterbuck was always being traded east;

Bolland got to basically choose to go to TO so stop rambling about how MacT should have got him, it was never even an option;

Scheinder I wanted and i was very glad Mact wanted him too because DD is not the answer, alas, trading klef and the first would have been ridiculous so im glad he passed... I'm pretty sure we offered the first and a second and possible a prospect like pitlick, ultimately, he was never being traded here without a core piece, i don't know how you can fault him for: A wanting scheinder, or B refusing to give up a kings ransom to get him... Ultimately he helped gillis look more like an idiot than he already is...

Coburn... I was really hoping this would get done, he'd be a great player to have until Nurse is ready, we'll see what happens, again I think its shows MacT realizes he needs another top 4 Dman

Draft; like the Nurse pick more and more, Nich was an absolute gamble this organization doesn't have to take, Nurse has huge upside

My biggest concerns:

He didn't move up and try and grab Lazar or Horvat, both of which would have been great additions and depth, we need players like this.

We need centre depth,

we need a goalie, at the very least is a 1B to time share

We need a top 4 d man who can log big minutes against good competition

We need bottom 6 players who compete and can score

Still a long ways to go... still lots of time left to address some of these issues

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Wouldnt seven trades = 14 teams?