HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Early 2013-14 Season Predictions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2013, 05:49 AM
  #26
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Absolutely everything needs to go right. Corneil needs to have a Greg McKegg sophomore year, Ritchie needs to play 60 plus games and score 35-40. They need someone to step up and be a leader on the back end. I know they are denying it, but there is alot of fire around the Janus back home story.

They need to hit on that Import pick with a quality 96 defender, need Giugovaz to prove hes a #1 and guys like Varga, Nosad and McGuire to take big steps.

I think they will be a playoff team, but probably moreso in the 6th - 7th in the conference.
There is no way they go defence with their pick when they have

Boland, Devlin, Armstrong, Varga one of Seymour/Trojanovic and then Spencer and Lizotte.


Last edited by defensehockey19: 06-30-2013 at 06:47 AM.
defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:40 AM
  #27
OHLEYE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
I agree, Petes are set at D.

Armstrong Seymour/Trojanovic
Boland Devlin
Varga Spencer
Lizotte Robinson

Need to leave room in case they can land Santini and or Clifton.


The OHL and NHL are all about forwards. You need to grab a bunch. Mike Oke has drafted way too many defenceman and the Petes are in need of top end forwards.

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  #28
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
There is no way they go defence with their pick when they have

Boland, Devlin, Armstrong, Varga one of Seymour/Trojanovic and then Spencer and Lizotte.
Are you sure?

Most of those defenceman are 5-6s. You should only have 2-3 depth guys, not 4-5.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:27 AM
  #29
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Are you sure?

Most of those defenceman are 5-6s. You should only have 2-3 depth guys, not 4-5.
I just cant see it. You could be right but I just dont see it happening right now. We need a scorer upfront.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:35 AM
  #30
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I just cant see it. You could be right but I just dont see it happening right now. We need a scorer upfront.
Agreed. Matt Spencer will be in the Top 4 immediately. I see Matt Spencer in the first pairing before the end of the season, in fact I see him inside the top pairing before the first 15 games are done, similar talent and smarts to Roland Mckeown. Lizzotte is another solid piece on the backend, who I think can develop in the 5-6 role this year facing other teams 3rd and 4th line. If he flourishes give him more minutes. The Petes will love how Nasty Lizzotte can be. With questions somewhat surrounding Cornel, they have to add talent up front. I think Cornel has a bounce back year this year and the Petes could surprise a few teams. Ritchie will show u his cards this year, the draft should bring everything out of him.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
  #31
OHLEYE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Those aren't 5-6 defenceman. They might not be stud defenceman but you don't just drop them down to 5-6 and consider them depth. The Penguins didn't draft Seymour because he was a depth defenceman in the OHL. The Petes are projecting Spencer to be top 4 this season.

8th overall pick likely won't be more than a 5-6 defenceman as well.

I can guarantee that the majority of Petes fans will not be happy with a European defenceman at 8, when we need forwards bad. Do they have someone in mind?

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  #32
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
Those aren't 5-6 defenceman. They might not be stud defenceman but you don't just drop them down to 5-6 and consider them depth. The Penguins didn't draft Seymour because he was a depth defenceman in the OHL. The Petes are projecting Spencer to be top 4 this season.

8th overall pick likely won't be more than a 5-6 defenceman as well.

I can guarantee that the majority of Petes fans will not be happy with a European defenceman at 8, when we need forwards bad. Do they have someone in mind?
Absoulutely. I believe Matt Spencer is a future Top 10 NHL pick. I think he is a little further along than Roland Mckeown was at the same age. Mckeown to me had one advantage. A tireless work ethic. Spencer though without a doubt has a harder shot and is a faster skater, doesnt pinch as much as Mckeown.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  #33
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Agreed. Matt Spencer will be in the Top 4 immediately. I see Matt Spencer in the first pairing before the end of the season, in fact I see him inside the top pairing before the first 15 games are done, similar talent and smarts to Roland Mckeown. Lizzotte is another solid piece on the backend, who I think can develop in the 5-6 role this year facing other teams 3rd and 4th line. If he flourishes give him more minutes. The Petes will love how Nasty Lizzotte can be. With questions somewhat surrounding Cornel, they have to add talent up front. I think Cornel has a bounce back year this year and the Petes could surprise a few teams. Ritchie will show u his cards this year, the draft should bring everything out of him.
Lizotte already looks like a 20 year old. Kid is going to be huge.

Interested to see if he will drop the gloves. Petes in need of someone who can do it.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
  #34
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
Those aren't 5-6 defenceman. They might not be stud defenceman but you don't just drop them down to 5-6 and consider them depth. The Penguins didn't draft Seymour because he was a depth defenceman in the OHL. The Petes are projecting Spencer to be top 4 this season.

8th overall pick likely won't be more than a 5-6 defenceman as well.

I can guarantee that the majority of Petes fans will not be happy with a European defenceman at 8, when we need forwards bad. Do they have someone in mind?
At that level you take the best player available that you can. There are better defenceman headed over this year vs. forwards. I'm not guaranteeing that they are taking a defenceman, but that's where the value is, especially considering the style that they probably will be playing next year.

Seymour and Spencer are top 4 guys. Varga, Boland, Devlin and Robinson are depth guys. Lizotte will also start out in the bottom pairing. Im not sure what Armstrong is at this point, maybe a top 4 guy, but hes a wildcard given hes an OA with only 24 games behind him.


Last edited by SeanLafortune: 06-30-2013 at 01:06 PM.
SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:31 PM
  #35
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra
 
ErieOttersNews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Erie,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
At that level you take the best player available that you can. There are better defenceman headed over this year vs. forwards. I'm not guaranteeing that they are taking a defenceman, but that's where the value is, especially considering the style that they probably will be playing next year.

Seymour and Spencer are top 4 guys. Varga, Boland, Devlin and Robinson are depth guys. Lizotte will also start out in the bottom pairing. Im not sure what Armstrong is at this point, maybe a top 4 guy, but hes a wildcard given hes an OA with only 24 games behind him.
Hey Sean, any idea who the Otters could be looking at with the number 5 pick? I noticed above you mentioned that dmen are better in this years draft, and the Otters need a top 4 guy to stabilize the defense.

ErieOttersNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:49 PM
  #36
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Lizotte already looks like a 20 year old. Kid is going to be huge.

Interested to see if he will drop the gloves. Petes in need of someone who can do it.
I think he will fight, he plays like he wants too. He is a physical beast for his age, he will piss people off with his aggression. A good trait he has. Whether he fights throughout his OHL career like Sefton does, is another story. He plays a style of game where fights will definately be on the table for him. Lizzotte does look 20, as does Mike Baird selected to North Bay.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:03 PM
  #37
OHLEYE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Armstrong is the best defenceman on the team and isn't going anywhere. He's local, left school to come here, and played for Hull in the past.

Lizotte should be the 7th defenceman going into the season.

You should always draft need first unless someone is on the board who is clearly better than the position you want. The Petes just took defenceman with their top two picks, they don't need to take another.

Devlin and Boland are top 4 defenceman and will likely be better than Spencer this season. Robinson hasn't played a game in the league yet, so who knows. Varga is a defensive defenceman similar to Boland and is lower on the Petes depth chart, but he has played well enough to be on the 2nd pairing. He likely remains a depth player. The Petes will more than likely trade Trojanovic of Seymour so they can keep Armstrong and D'agostini.

Adding a Euro defenceman means you'll have to get rid of a veteran. Adding Santini or Clifton adds to that headache. The Petes won't go anywhere until they get some forwards.

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:52 PM
  #38
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Hope he gets back there, but even my friends within the Colts are not sure what he is right now, and there are no veterans are the market right now, so...
He's a wildcard I suppose, but I also hope he can get back there. I thought the Colts believed in him - elsewise why not trade him away at the deadline? I'm sure teams were sniffing after him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Shore won't be coming to Barrie. Jim Nill took over in Dallas after being the right hand man and 'prosepct guru' in Detroit. Nill loves players to 'cook' in the minors. Brendan Smith, Riley Sheehan, Landon Ferrero, etc. I can't remember the last prospect that Nill has moved into the CHL. Shore probably is a 3-4 year guy in Maine.
They did say the same thing about Lemieux...but assuming you're right, how about LaBanc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
With regards to Imports, its not simply 'deciding' to bring in a high end import. The Colts will be picking 47th and 107th, and you are no longer allowed to trade Import picks.
Is the no-trading for sure? Nobody seems to be able to point to that decision being made. Assuming it is, you may be right.

I guess we'll see - but Ekblad has demonstrated a high level of play as the de facto number one defenceman through 4 rounds of the OHL playoffs. No way to know how McKeown will respond to that pressure until such time as he does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Barrie has too many holes and too many players leaving in order to be 'the team to beat' versus teams like Sudbury, North Bay and Kingston, who are simply looking to fill holes, not will the shoes of a Schiefele or Camara.
I never said "team to beat", I just have confidence that they can make it. As for Kingston, they haven't finished in the top three in the Eastern conference in 20 years. I expect their leadership will screw things up.

Interestingly, Horvat and Domi just went higher than others expected (I expected Bo to go top 10) in the draft...wonder what that means...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:31 PM
  #39
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I never said "team to beat", I just have confidence that they can make it. As for Kingston, they haven't finished in the top three in the Eastern conference in 20 years. I expect their leadership will screw things up.

Interestingly, Horvat and Domi just went higher than others expected (I expected Bo to go top 10) in the draft...wonder what that means...
We are probably debating semantics then. I don't doubt they are in the top 4, but just don't have the players to replace Schiefele and Camara, so many 'ifs' versus other teams.

It means that London has probably the best 1-2 punch down the middle in the OHL. Vancouver has Gaunce and the Jets have Scheifele who would make the teams ahead of them.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
  #40
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
"I guess we'll see - but Ekblad has demonstrated a high level of play as the de facto number one defenceman through 4 rounds of the OHL playoffs. No way to know how McKeown will respond to that pressure until such time as he does it."
I think Ekblad is a stud but he does make mistakes in crunch time, as would many a youngin. Watch the game 7 GWG again.
Having said that I doubt it happens again. Once is a learning exp, 2x is a mistake

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
  #41
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post

Kingston will be improved, only because they have had some fantastic drafts in the past few years. The 96 core is one of the best in the OHL, and probably will allow them to compete a year earlier then expected. Matt Watson will be a really important piece next year for them. Consider that Darcy Greenaway who scored 24 goals and 20 assists last year will be the teams third line centre next year, thats how deep they suddenly are up front. McKeown will be one of the best defenceman in the OHL next year (we have him right with Ekbald next year for the NHL at McKeens), and guys like Steele, Vainonen and Moffett will allow them to have a pretty solid top 4. Big loss will be Ikonen, have to find a top 6 guy at the Import draft or on the trade market, but luckly they also have alot of picks to use. Crouse probably could step in, but better to be patient, as he may be a premier forward at the OHL level for 2-3 years, but will need some time. Probably becomes a top 6 guy by years end however.
Any chance he returns to Kingston with the Lightning selecting him?

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
  #42
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Any chance he returns to Kingston with the Lightning selecting him?
It actually sounds like he may be back now. The back story is that KalPa loaned him to Kingston for a single season, and he would have to come back after the conclusion of the year. In talking with some in a position to know yesterday, it sounds like Kingston has found a way to retain him for next year.

If true, that's a big get, fills the third forward spot on their top line. Now they just need a true second line right winger and they have a pretty strong top 9 core.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:22 AM
  #43
OHLEYE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Will Mahalak be playing in Kingston or pro somewhere? They need him or another goalie bad. They also need to add some physicality if they want to go far.

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
  #44
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
We are probably debating semantics then. I don't doubt they are in the top 4, but just don't have the players to replace Schiefele and Camara, so many 'ifs' versus other teams.

It means that London has probably the best 1-2 punch down the middle in the OHL. Vancouver has Gaunce and the Jets have Scheifele who would make the teams ahead of them.
Domi got drafted by the Coyotes, did he not?

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
  #45
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I think Ekblad is a stud but he does make mistakes in crunch time, as would many a youngin. Watch the game 7 GWG again.
Having said that I doubt it happens again. Once is a learning exp, 2x is a mistake
I've watched that goal enough times, thanks very much . He did make a mistake on that play but my point was he was out there with the game on the line and seconds to go in game seven against London's best. While he was gaining that experience, McKeown was 5 weeks into the golf season...

PS EA5 was out there to close out many other playoff games where he was solid.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
  #46
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
Will Mahalak be playing in Kingston or pro somewhere? They need him or another goalie bad. They also need to add some physicality if they want to go far.
Yes, he will be in Kingston. Lucas Peressini and Jeremy Helvig will fight for the backup. They also have Joel Howard in the wings. They are pretty set between the pipes for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Domi got drafted by the Coyotes, did he not?
LOL always confuse the former and current Jets .

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:35 PM
  #47
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Any chance he returns to Kingston with the Lightning selecting him?
Any chance that since the Sabres let Lepkowski and then drafted Zadorov, that they keep him up because of their dire need for defensemen?

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:50 PM
  #48
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
It actually sounds like he may be back now. The back story is that KalPa loaned him to Kingston for a single season, and he would have to come back after the conclusion of the year. In talking with some in a position to know yesterday, it sounds like Kingston has found a way to retain him for next year.

If true, that's a big get, fills the third forward spot on their top line. Now they just need a true second line right winger and they have a pretty strong top 9 core.
Thanks!

As for the second line RW, I think they will play Povorozniuk there, requiring a third line RW (or Schutt).

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:07 PM
  #49
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Any chance that since the Sabres let Lepkowski and then drafted Zadorov, that they keep him up because of their dire need for defensemen?
We also drafted Ristolainen who is in that mold. But neither of them will be playing in Rochester and there are considerable holes on the farm team with the Dmen either being promoted (Psysk, McNabb) or unsigned (Schistel, Biega, Pardy).

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in Rochester this year. But, long term Sabres-wise it looks like we are no longer as desperate for players like him.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
  #50
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Thanks!

As for the second line RW, I think they will play Povorozniuk there, requiring a third line RW (or Schutt).
Ya, I think Povorozniuk would be better suited on the third line. I know he has the numbers to support him as a top 6 guy, but he would need to improve his three zone play. Plus, I think that one spot is a big opportunity to upgrade.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.