HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Completely forgot about Petr...

I've actually seen some Vrana jerseys at the Rock. He had some potential in the beginning but just fizzled out.
I don't think Vrana ever really got a fair shake.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Cory is going to be running a new town now

Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I don't think Vrana ever really got a fair shake.
Just looking at his numbers, they're all over the map. Good years mixed in with mediocre years. Perhaps he's just wildly inconsistent and his shot at the NHL came at one of his down times and then he decided to go back to Europe rather than stay in NA.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I may have been mad when I first heard of this news, but it has warmed up to me greatly. Anyone else wake up this morning like "**** yeah, we have Schneider!" No? Just me. Okay.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
I may have been mad when I first heard of this news, but it has warmed up to me greatly. Anyone else wake up this morning like "**** yeah, we have Schneider!" No? Just me. Okay.
Everyone

Old
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
I woke up with the same thought lol. I was pissed at first bc once nich fell to us I was so pumped and then Lou took him away from us. Now our goalie situation is solved for years to come if we sign him which is pretty damn important.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:50 AM
dismantlingsummer
No closer to heaven.

I'm still so effing happy. Lou's still got it. We finally have an heir apparent to the greatest of all time.

Also, I spoke to Lebrun at the draft yesterday, and I know this guarantees nothing, but he said he "absolutely" thinks Schneider will sign a long term deal here.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
I was in shock when it happened. I was not sure what to think, like most here. After i had time to calm down and think about it i quickly realized what a smart and extremely needed move it was and quickly loved it.

Just sucks that hockey is so far away.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Team Concept

I was watching Lou very closely right before the Devils were about to make their pick. At one point he walked around the entire Devil's table and whispered in the men's ears (by twos) some tidbit of information. As he informed the brain trust (2 at a time) I thought he was either telling them that he had made a trade to move down or informing them of what selection he was going to make at #9. I was absolutely floored when the trade was announced. To my right were 2 Columbus Blue Jacket fans (probably the only 2 in the entire building) who immediately reacted that we had fleeced the Canucks. My immediate concern was his contract status. As long as Schneider stays with the Devils for lets say 7 years then the trade is totally justified. The logic being that a first round pick by the time they make the big club is under control for 7 years like that turncoat Parise.

One concern with all the tight games the Devils play is that Schneider's shootout percentage the last 2 years is very mediocore which could hurt the Devils and probably cost them a playoff spot this year.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

From Devils Trap's post in the Zubrus thread:

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 26m
Dainius Zubrus told me this morning he has agreed to a three-year contract to stay with the Devils.
Zubrus: "I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did."

Zubrus on the trade for goalie Cory Schneider: "It was unexpected. It's a big deal... He's been a very good goalie for a few years now."
Zubrus said he feels bad for Johan Hedberg. "Honestly, he's probably the most-liked guy in the locker room."

I wonder how Lou will solve this situation in the most respectful way with Moose.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
From Devils Trap's post in the Zubrus thread:

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 26m
Dainius Zubrus told me this morning he has agreed to a three-year contract to stay with the Devils.
Zubrus: "I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did."

Zubrus on the trade for goalie Cory Schneider: "It was unexpected. It's a big deal... He's been a very good goalie for a few years now."
Zubrus said he feels bad for Johan Hedberg. "Honestly, he's probably the most-liked guy in the locker room."

I wonder how Lou will solve this situation in the most respectful way with Moose.
My guess is he will ask Moose what he wants . If he wants to keep on playing we will move him, if not, Lou will offer him a job in the organization (After he buys him out / Moose retires)

Old
07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Scott04

Too many posts since I was last on (well before the draft) and too many closed threads to comment with anything other than a blanket comment:

"LOL" at anyone that doesn't like/didn't like the Schneider trade. I'll take the proven #1 goalie for below market value over the project forward who may/may not pan out and may/may not contribute to this team for at least a couple of years any day of the week. If you don't recognize that, then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
That's pretty much been my feeling non-stop since about 30 seconds after the trade was announced.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Johan Hedberg, classy as always, says he "needs to think a little bit" about his plans and is choosing not to talk about Devils' situation.

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 1m
Hedberg is leaving for Sweden today.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

I have no clue how any Devils fan does not like this! We robbed Vancouver and got ourselves an absolute stud!

Old
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
NJDevils7

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hedberg go to the Isles. I feel bad. I know it was important for him to have a NTC on his last contract because he wanted to buy a house in NJ and have his family close by. I doubt he will agree to go anywhere outside the division.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hedberg go to the Isles. I feel bad. I know it was important for him to have a NTC on his last contract because he wanted to buy a house in NJ and have his family close by. I doubt he will agree to go anywhere outside the division.
His family lives in Atlanta though im pretty sure

Old
07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
wreckless

woke up this morning even more devastated by this trade from a vancouver standpoint.

we have a few very astute and intelligent radio personalities and they are running in circles trying to justify this trade.. they just can't do it.

our fan base calling in is outright calling for GMMG's head.

like i've said before, last season when he went on that 4 goals in 5 game stretch, he was the best goalie i've seen play since roy/bro in their prime in terms of mechanics/speed/agility.

i LOVE luongo and have always had this thing against schenider due to him threatening Lu, but it didn't take long for me to realize this kid is a STUD and will be a Vezina candidate every year for the next 5 years +.

it may sound like i'm exaggerating, but by the end of next season there will be no disputing this kid.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
His family lives in Atlanta though im pretty sure
He wanted 2 years + NTC so he could move his family up here, he's been living awy from them since he left Atlanta. They came up before this season.
That's kind of why, as happy as I am for this trade, I can't stop feeling for the guy.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
He wanted 2 years + NTC so he could move his family up here, he's been living awy from them since he left Atlanta. They came up before this season.
That's kind of why, as happy as I am for this trade, I can't stop feeling for the guy.
Oh that makes sense. Well then I hope he stays with the organization somehow

Old
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Bologna 1

all else aside, like many others have echoed i feel really bad for moose. i mean how can anyone not love the guy? whatever ends up happening to him, i hope it all works out in a way that he wants and he ends up an ideal situation.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
all else aside, like many others have echoed i feel really bad for moose. i mean how can anyone not love the guy?
Such a good guy . Soo respectable and classy, I hope Lou gives him a job somewhere in the organization

Old
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Hedberg is a great guy. bad situation for him, but important move for the team

Old
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Still don't know how we got a potential top 5 goalie for a measly 9th overall pick, and nothing else. Depending on how Schneids adaps to his new home, this trade might go down as being as big or a bigger heist than Kovy.

It took a first, a good prospect, an okay defenseman, and a lesser prospect to get 2-4 months of a rental Kovy on an expiring contract. We're getting at least 2 years of a guy who's probably at least a top 10 goalie for just the first straight up. I think we'll make a point to lock him up early too. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given an extension before the start of 14-15.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 13s
Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left.

They want to get this started ASAP

Old
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 13s
Devils would like to see Cory Schneider signed beyond his 2 remaining yrs, but extension talk can't begin until there is only 1 yr left.

They want to get this started ASAP
Haha I just said the same thing! Wouldn't be surprised to see him extended before the 14-15 season starts. I'm actually at the point of hoping the Rangers keep Lundqvist, and Pittsburgh finds someone cause he will be in HUGE demand if he ever hit the market.

He's from Massachusetts, and luckily Rask will likely be the man there for years to come.

Closed Thread