HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #75 - Pavel Buchnevich

Old
07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Zherdev pt. 2.

He needs to get his head right and get his compete level up. He will not even be in NA for another two full seasons (something I despise).
Is it a general for all Euros or only as it relates to Russian prospects/

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't remember if it was work ethic, but didn't Cherepanov also have some big red flags post-draft?
I thought the concerns were signability and interest in coming west.

07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't remember if it was work ethic, but didn't Cherepanov also have some big red flags post-draft?
His numbers dropped the year after the draft.

From what I recall, he lit up the Russian league at a young age, broke Bure's record,did better than Ovechkn at the same age. But the big knock on Cherepanov was that he didn't really stand out in one particular asset. Okay skating, okay shot, he just produced.

Obviously, I'llbe keeping an eye on this kid if that's really who they think he's comparable to. But if you look at the Russians playing in the NHL right now, they're either old-time grabs like Dats and Markov, or high 1st round picks. Anisimov is one notable exception.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:12 AM
scott99

Islander's fan coming in peace. You guys did GREAT in the 3rd round ! I love this pick. I was hoping the Islanders would have been smart enough to pick this guy at 70, but no, they pick a goalie. This is a home run pick, you guys watch, Buchnevich will dominate at the WJC's this year, he tore up the U18's a couple of months ago even outperforming Nichushkin. I'm so jealous of this pick, this guy is an elite talent. Some had him going in the first round, at worst, second round. Isles picked one pick after Buchnevich and who did we pick, a 5'6" midget who weighs 150 pounds and was rated 176 by ISS, and we picked him 76th. Love the Buchnevich pick.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Islander's fan coming in peace. You guys did GREAT in the 3rd round ! I love this pick. I was hoping the Islanders would have been smart enough to pick this guy at 70, but no, they pick a goalie. This is a home run pick, you guys watch, Buchnevich will dominate at the WJC's this year, he tore up the U18's a couple of months ago even outperforming Nichushkin. I'm so jealous of this pick, this guy is an elite talent. Some had him going in the first round, at worst, second round. Isles picked one pick after Buchnevich and who did we pick, a 5'6" midget who weighs 150 pounds and was rated 176 by ISS, and we picked him 76th. Love the Buchnevich pick.

sorry for Islander fans at the draft, not only did Islanders overpay for a 3rd liner, they traded one of their better prospects although was rushed into the NHL.. what if Clutterbuck does not want to play for the Islanders and wants to be traded again. he is an RFA.....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
sorry for Islander fans at the draft, not only did Islanders overpay for a 3rd liner, they traded one of their better prospects although was rushed into the NHL.. what if Clutterbuck does not want to play for the Islanders and wants to be traded again. he is an RFA.....
Clutterbuck really has no option as a RFA. Either he signs with the Islanders, or maybe he goes to the KHL. He rights can be traded, AND lots of teams were interested in trading for him. I doubt other teams would give him an offer letter though, they can get him cheaper trading for his rights.

That being said, his twitter response was typical Clutterbuck, it was all about helping the Islanders winning and looking forward to the opportunity. Plus he's a good friend of John Tavares, rode shotgun with JT in junior hockey protecting him when JT was only 16. Was on JT's line when JT scored 72 goals, and there was a lot of space for JT to play with Clutterbuck on his line. So I'm pretty sure Clutterbuck signs with the Isles, not too worried.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree. And I'll trade a lower ceiling for a bigger heart.
Always.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Is it a general for all Euros or only as it relates to Russian prospects/
I prefer for all European prospects to have the ability to come over after a season. It's worse for me with KHL guys since the obvious loyalty they have to that league.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Clutterbuck really has no option as a RFA. Either he signs with the Islanders, or maybe he goes to the KHL. He rights can be traded, AND lots of teams were interested in trading for him. I doubt other teams would give him an offer letter though, they can get him cheaper trading for his rights.

That being said, his twitter response was typical Clutterbuck, it was all about helping the Islanders winning and looking forward to the opportunity. Plus he's a good friend of John Tavares, rode shotgun with JT in junior hockey protecting him when JT was only 16. Was on JT's line when JT scored 72 goals, and there was a lot of space for JT to play with Clutterbuck on his line. So I'm pretty sure Clutterbuck signs with the Isles, not too worried.
i cant wait to watch Clutterbuck vs Dorsett. that will be fun to watch

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

From what I recall, he lit up the Russian league at a young age, broke Bure's record,did better than Ovechkn at the same age. But the big knock on Cherepanov was that he didn't really stand out in one particular asset. Okay skating, okay shot, he just produced.

Obviously, I'llbe keeping an eye on this kid if that's really who they think he's comparable to. But if you look at the Russians playing in the NHL right now, they're either old-time grabs like Dats and Markov, or high 1st round picks. Anisimov is one notable exception.
His red flag at the draft was that he was in piss poor shape. Along with obviously his commitment to coming to NA.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
This kid? No. Have not. Every scouting report I've seen has red flags in it, though. Even his freaking coach isn't high on him.
Coaches speaking critically of their own players is a Russian thing. It is culturally ingrained that a person of patriarchal authority show "tough love" to his pupil.

This contrasts with the West, where it is more common to be complimentary above all.

I wouldn't take the comments too seriously.

Having seen Buchnevich play, I think the comments about effort level are a bit overstated. He is simply very young, very skinny and needs time.

Valeri Bragin, while coaching the U20 team, was one of his biggest fans and compared Buchnevich to Malkin.

Fantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Fantomas

Why Rangers fans should be happy about this pick:

- last spring, Buchnevich went through a stretch where he performed better than Nichushkin and some services rated him higher, before a sluggish start to the past season partly due to injuries

- He made the U20 team before Nichushkin did and performed very well, but a coaching change put him out of favor

- He went into the draft on a strong upward trajectory late in the year, playing healthy and being one of Russia's best performers at the U18s, arguably outplaying Nichushkin.

For a third round pick, this is a very good one. The complaints are puzzling.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
So, is this guy basically a Kabanov that hasn't even made his way over to NA yet? I'm fine with going for upside in thus draft. As a fan, it's not really fair to approach a draft that the team had already sold out on (no first our second) and expect it to be "successful". I like the lottery ticket approach this year.
How is he Kabanov? I don't see any similarity to Kabanov.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:25 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

very good pick in the 3rd round. i approve.

high end skills. he got 1st round talent. something we lack bigtime.

anyone who has watched this kid in international competition knows he has the goods. he was lights out in sochi. wore an A as well. played great at the 5 natiosn u18's and won gold at the u17's. really impressive young talent.

his skating is flawless. great stride. very creative player who seems to ooze offensive hockey smarts. classic russian scoring winger. his skills are undeniable.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-56/

"Buchnevich is a terrific skater. He has very fast top end speed, excellent acceleration and great first step quickness. This makes him extremely dangerous off the rush, and he is not afraid to go wide on a defenceman and then cut to the net. He also has great agility, and good balance on his skates. Buchnevich could stand to add some weight to his frame but even with that, his balance and strength on the puck is good at the Under 18 level. It will need to be much better though for the pro game.

Buchnevich is able to play all three forward positions which is a major plus for any prospect. He’s a pure sniper, with a fantastic wrist shot and snap shot. They are both powerful, accurate, and feature quick releases. He also has a very good one timer. Buchnevich is often able to force defenders to give him space due to his skating and it as at this point he can unleash is shot on the rush. He has good stickhandling skills and protects the puck very well. He’s not afraid to go through traffic and take the puck right to the net in order to get chances. Buchnevich is a skilled playmaker as well, he is very creative and is willing to try things that most players wouldn’t have the skill level to dream about. He also is willing to work hard in the corners and digging for loose pucks."

the other stuff is mostly more anti russian bias and lack of transfer agreement nonsense, and perhaps a bit of immaturity. hes gotten by on skill up to now. he needs to get stronger and more dedicated to off ice workouts.

as a 3rd rounder, this pick is an absolute steal/no brainer. we have a gem here if things fall the right way.

hard to read the above article and not salivate over the boom potential with this kid.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the other stuff is mostly more anti russian bias and lack of transfer agreement nonsense, and perhaps a bit of immaturity. hes gotten by on skill up to now. he needs to get stronger and more dedicated to off ice workouts.
He does. What's annoying though is that this is often misconstrued as "he's lazy."

In many people's minds, the combination of "Russian" + "needs to get stronger" adds up to "huge headcase."

There is no evidence whatsoever that Buchnevich is lazy. If anything, he proved completely otherwise with his strong showing at the U18s.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

as a 3rd rounder, this pick is an absolute steal/no brainer. we have a gem here if things fall the right way.

hard to read the above article and not salivate over the boom potential with this kid.
His own coach saying he doesn't have the drive to practice and lacks desire is "anti russian bias and lack of transfer agreement nonsense?" That's a new excuse

Old
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yeah I think the lazy tag is warranted but overblown.

You pick this player because of the skating, the hands, the offensive instincts all in a large frame. I think the skating is what stands out here, usually in the 3rd round you have someone like Grachev, skating is good enough, not great. As Ranger fan I like that he can snipe the corners, very accurate shooter.

Great value at #75, just would have used #65 on one of Pesce, Hansson, Goulbourne, and of course the Detroit pick that will be amazing Janmark-Nylen

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Coaches speaking critically of their own players is a Russian thing. It is culturally ingrained that a person of patriarchal authority show "tough love" to his pupil.
It's not a Russian thing. It's a coach thing. Coaches do that here, too. However, players' desire and heart are rarely questioned since, at the pro level, those two things are usually not issues. You can't make it to this level on skill alone. So yes. It's a huge red flag. He can have all the skill in the world but if the desire isn't there, than he's useless.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

I'm not sure I totally agree Fitzy. Voynov was a 2nd rounder. TB has a few of Russian kids in their system (Namestnikov - late 1st, Vasilivskiey - late 1st, Kucherov - 2nd). Boston has 1 (Khoklachev) as well.

I would have to think the plan is similar to that of Fast. Let him play for a couple of years and then re-evaluate.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'm not sure I totally agree Fitzy. Voynov was a 2nd rounder. TB has a few of Russian kids in their system (Namestnikov - late 1st, Vasilivskiey - late 1st, Kucherov - 2nd). Boston has 1 (Khoklachev) as well.

I would have to think the plan is similar to that of Fast. Let him play for a couple of years and then re-evaluate.
I think it's impossible to truly hate the pick either way. The Rangers are swinging for the fences and I give them credit there. I just would have preferred us to go with one big, mean player in the 3rd round who can play. I'd of preferred two of the skill guys and one big, mean forward.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I think it's impossible to truly hate the pick either way. The Rangers are swinging for the fences and I give them credit there. I just would have preferred us to go with one big, mean player in the 3rd round who can play. I'd of preferred two of the skill guys and one big, mean forward.
I agree.

Swinging for the fences on 3 offensive players doesn't give me much confidence in any particular one of them. Clark almost made it sound like he watched all the guys he wanted go in round 1 and 2. Well, yeah Gordie, that's what happens when you are the last team to pick a player and your best is #65.

What really peeved me about his presser was his trying to justify the Clowe 2nd rounder, like he would have done that all over again exactly the same.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I agree.

Swinging for the fences on 3 offensive players doesn't give me much confidence in any particular one of them. Clark almost made it sound like he watched all the guys he wanted go in round 1 and 2. Well, yeah Gordie, that's what happens when you are the last team to pick a player and your best is #65.

What really peeved me about his presser was his trying to justify the Clowe 2nd rounder, like he would have done that all over again exactly the same.
I don't mind the Clowe trade. I mean, I am not the biggest fan of it now that he's not going to be re-signed. But injuries happen. Meh. Oh well. I do not see the need to keep all three 3rd rounders, though, and not move into the 2nd. That perplexes me.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

at 75, this is a terrific value pick. you dont get a kid like this unless he has some "issues". this kid is our MOST SKILLED offensive prospect right now. today.

with wheels like he has and his offensive instincts, hes a dangerous offensive player. been a long time since we've been able to say that.

at 75, the chance that he will mature and settle into being a pro out weights any bust concerns for me.

i just really like that we didnt go safe 3rd line type with this pick.

in fact our first 3 picks i really like. we went scoring forward with great skating ability on all 3. hard to argue there. all the 3rd rounders we chose are all solid boom kids.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:31 PM
broadwayblue

Eh, I hate trading 2nd round picks for rentals. It basically never works out. Antropov, Clowe, etc. Anyone could see this team wasn't a Ryan Clowe away from winning it all...but they do it anyway.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
at 75, this is a terrific value pick. you dont get a kid like this unless he has some "issues". this kid is our MOST SKILLED offensive prospect right now. today.

with wheels like he has and his offensive instincts, hes a dangerous offensive player. been a long time since we've been able to say that.

at 75, the chance that he will mature and settle into being a pro out weights any bust concerns for me.

i just really like that we didnt go safe 3rd line type with this pick.

in fact our first 3 picks i really like. we went scoring forward with great skating ability on all 3. hard to argue there. all the 3rd rounders we chose are all solid boom kids.
The problem isn't that we didn't go safe. No one is even really mentioning that. The problem is that we, yet again, didn't draft a big, tough forward. We continue to not draft those type of players and it continues to annoy the fanbase. I have no real problem taking guys that are boom or bust players. However, why do we have to take three skill boom or bust players? Why not take one big, mean boom or bust player as well?

I don't get the need to take three extremely similar guys in this third round.