HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No trade Brewer.

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
No trade Brewer.

I know, I know. I acknowledge my bias as I do like Brewer. I defended him when he was playing BrewTAL earlier this season and he seems to be turning the corner lately becoming the Man back on D with Jason Smith gone. Fact is that J.Smith may be gone very soon since he is supposed to be a UFA at the end of next year? (i could be wrong).

I've said this before: 23 yo defensemen who can play top 3 minutes RIGHT NOW in the NHL are very very rare commodities. Do not trade him away. I strongly believe that this will be a trade that the Oilers will regret. Believe it or not, I would not trade Brewer for Vinny Lecavalier straight up. Lecavalier is certainly a fantastic player but has only been the 2nd line centre behind Richards in TB this year. While he certainly has Superstar labelled on him, I wonder if we could get Lecavalier without having to give up on Brewer. If the Oil fans will get on Brewer's case for having an below-par season, how badly would we tear up Lecavalier's performance so far this season?

My philosophy has always been to go with a strong defense. Most of the strongest teams in the NHL have tremendous players on defense. Colorado has Blake and Foote (and Morris and Skoula...), Detroit has Lidstrom, Chelios and Hatcher, NJ has Stevens and Niedermeyer, Ottawa has Redden and a solid fivesome. I think Dallas' fall has to be strongly related by the loss of Hatcher.

Who do the OIl have? Brewer. Smith. Staios. Smith is about to be UFA. Semenov is still inconsistent. Bergeron even more so. Cross is just a steady journeyman. Lynch may be next but still needs time. Our future looks bright but Lynch and Woywitka will need a strong veteran defender to help them through the rough spots in 2-3 years time, much like Niiniimaa and Smith helped Brewer develop.

Lastly, do you remember when Niiniimaa's first years here, he was known as Spaz? In the years before he was traded however, Niiniimaa settled down and developed into a strong two-way top two defenseman for the Oil. Brewer will do the same.

Do not give up on Brewer. He will get better.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:03 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I heartily agree. Trading this player would be a monumentally stupid move. I can understand and forgive trading Smith, he is older and we are likely to lose him to UFA in the next few years. But Brewer is just a kid. And he is really showing his potential right now

Old
01-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Cerebral

Pretty much any trade of Brewer that doesn't involve a quality defenceman coming back would give me the impression that management considered the season over and they were planning for post-CBA rather than the playoffs..

Old
01-07-2004, 11:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I've said this before: 23 yo defensemen who can play top 3 minutes RIGHT NOW in the NHL are very very rare commodities. Do not trade him away. I strongly believe that this will be a trade that the Oilers will regret. Believe it or not, I would not trade Brewer for Vinny Lecavalier straight up. Lecavalier is certainly a fantastic player but has only been the 2nd line centre behind Richards in TB this year. While he certainly has Superstar labelled on him, I wonder if we could get Lecavalier without having to give up on Brewer. If the Oil fans will get on Brewer's case for having an below-par season, how badly would we tear up Lecavalier's performance so far this season?
Well, no one should be tearing up VLC's performance this year, and if Brew could get you Vinny, you'd be insane not to do it.

Brew-potential star, certain good NHL'er

VLC-potential superstar, certain top point man and nearly certain star

I agree I'd like to get Vinny w/o giving up Brewer, I just see it as less likely, and would certainly do it if given the chance. I'm sure everyone's seen my T-bay offer by now.

shoulda been.......

Comrie+Smith+Brew

for

Vinny+Kubina

then trade Horc, Izzy, Laraque or whoever (Rita, picks) for a young d-man with upside, and acquire a goalie to split and then dump Salo, viola, a team that could go DEEP into the playoffs soon, and for a long time.

Vinny is a special player, and is EXACTLY the kind of guy the Oilers lack, both on the ice and in the system. They need a guy like him badly.

Smith+Horcoff+Rita+Picks

Vinny

Not happenin, but I'd do it.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Well, no one should be tearing up VLC's performance this year, and if Brew could get you Vinny, you'd be insane not to do it.

Brew-potential star, certain good NHL'er

VLC-potential superstar, certain top point man and nearly certain star

I agree I'd like to get Vinny w/o giving up Brewer, I just see it as less likely, and would certainly do it if given the chance. I'm sure everyone's seen my T-bay offer by now.

shoulda been.......

Comrie+Smith+Brew

for

Vinny+Kubina

then trade Horc, Izzy, Laraque or whoever (Rita, picks) for a young d-man with upside, and acquire a goalie to split and then dump Salo, viola, a team that could go DEEP into the playoffs soon, and for a long time.

Vinny is a special player, and is EXACTLY the kind of guy the Oilers lack, both on the ice and in the system. They need a guy like him badly.

Smith+Horcoff+Rita+Picks

Vinny

Not happenin, but I'd do it.
To be honest, yah, Comrie/Smith/Brewer for Lecavalier/Kubina would be extremely tempting and I definitely think that Lecavalier could help the Oil address their hole at the #1 centre position.

From what I've heard, the Lightning are looking for an offensive defenseman and from what I've seen of their lineup, they are certainly in need of a veteran defender to help lead the way on their blueline.

I wonder if Bergeron/Smith/Horcoff and 1st round pick or Isbister
for Lecavalier and Kubina. We probably need to throw in the Philly 1st round pick as well. sigh. man it seems like giving up a lot for a moody potential superstar who is fighting with his coach.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:50 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
man it seems like giving up a lot for a moody potential superstar who is fighting with his coach.
Or a moody coach fighting with his superstar player?

Old
01-08-2004, 02:57 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Or a moody coach fighting with his superstar player?
You seem to always take the player's side. First Comrie, now Lecavalier. Just an observation...

Old
01-08-2004, 03:18 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
You seem to always take the player's side. First Comrie, now Lecavalier. Just an observation...
Players are more valuable, players rarely have their side taken, coaches are tempermental people, not many people try to understand or are capable of understanding what it's like to be one of those guys, and I like to think I can somewhat understand.

2 observations is hardly convincing, BUT, in this case, I was pointing out that yet again, there are often 2 sides, but fans take the side of the organization for some strange reason.

Team and organization are 2 different things. I LOVE the Oilers, the team, the ideal, but I do no like the way the organization is run, and refuse to show blind loyalty.

Closed Thread