HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Lucic has a hunched back from living in a cave for all those years.
LOL i laughed so hard at that.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hey, that's a really good comparison, I think. Nice one.

Doesn't have the shot of a byfuglien, though, it seems.
Byfuglien didnt need that "shot" in front of the net , ..mccarron wont be playing point on our powerplay anytime soon.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I rather he be in front of the net with his size than at the point.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Can we stop talking about Lucic? This is sad. Are Boston really in the heads of that many fans here? I know the kid said he liked to model his game after Lucic's, but come on... let him be his own player.
Problem is that this Habs team who once thought skills and size was enough, did mention we needed to get bigger. And while the Bruins aren't the only ones to also believe that...let just say that we had enough examples that we also had to take that route.

I do agree with you though. People should talk about the overall aspect of toughness and grit and not about Lucic. Of all the NHL players right now, there is 1 freakin Lucic. If it would be that easy to groom one, there would be more....Where's Kyle Beach? Where's Andrew Conboy? Where's Garrett Klotz? How's Zach Kassian? etc...

Old
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
DanltQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Problem is that this Habs team who once thought skills and size was enough, did mention we needed to get bigger. And while the Bruins aren't the only ones to also believe that...let just say that we had enough examples that we also had to take that route.

I do agree with you though. People should talk about the overall aspect of toughness and grit and not about Lucic. Of all the NHL players right now, there is 1 freakin Lucic. If it would be that easy to groom one, there would be more....Where's Kyle Beach? Where's Andrew Conboy? Where's Garrett Klotz? How's Zach Kassian? etc...
the thing is McCaron is also a good hockey player. He has good hockey sense and a good shot

Old
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

He definitely addresses the size issue. He could end up 6'7" 250lbs, aren't too many guys that size around. He's also a righty, which makes him rarer.

If he can be a bigger/faster Bickell/Lucic hybrid, he'll be worth it. Definite project though.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
PricePkPatch

someone has news from our resident expert? He disapeared yesterday during the draft, mentionned he'd go at Marinaro's show..

Since he's the one who's been propping McCarron for the last 2 weeks, I think he deserves to come and take a bow

Old
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Yup, Hudon as well.

Last year was skill.
This year was size and grit.

Mix those two together and voila.
Early on yes, but they went with skill afterwards with Lehkonen ,Andrighetto and Réway.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Top Shelf Prospects did not like this pick whatsoever. They had him ranked as the 60th prospect and think the Habs reached quite a bit to grab him. It was all due to his size.

Full Profile: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-60/

Old
07-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Very excited about this pick...i don't think you can go wrong with him going to the London Knights or Western Michigan

Really a great option either way. Can't imagine how big this guy will be when he eventually makes it

Very excited about this pick

P.S. Please stop with the Lucic talk

Old
07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
At 25 I like the fact that Timmins took a risk and drafted the best available for a specific need. Last year he drafted plenty of skill and JDR is going to be a special player so this pick makes a lot of sense to me.

With his size and development curve this could be a homerun or a risk that doens't pan out. Everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot but in 3-4 years teams defensemen could actually be scared to play MTL and that chance is worth the risk in this pick for me.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a risk? I think when you look at his size you think he fits into the pre-conceived notion of being a project.

But the guy can play, he just happens to be very, very big...

I was very excited to hear Murray's comments on 990 today

Even if he becomes a 3rd liner who can bang/crash and chip in offense, that's fine

Old
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a risk? I think when you look at his size you think he fits into the pre-conceived notion of being a project.

Even if he becomes a 3rd liner who can bang/crash and chip in offense, that's fine
Hopefully he can play a top 6 role so he gets more ice time to inflict pain and fear. It's been a while since a MTL player puts the fear of god into defenders going back for the puck!

Old
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Hopefully he can play a top 6 role so he gets more ice time to inflict pain and fear. It's been a while since a MTL player puts the fear of god into defenders going back for the puck!
Yes forget fighting aside. I'd rather have him throw 3-4 crushing hits a game on dmen than him stuck in a box for 5 minutes. Our rivals won't like this guy hammering their dmen.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
yianik

Quote:

There is a safety net there. If he can skate, which TT says he can, then he will be able to at least hit , which means he should make the NHL in some capacity. If he comes to the NHL with a good enough skill set for his role, he could be a real complementary piece with more skilled players and chip in about 20 goals while being a punishing force to the opposition.
I agree with the hold up on the Lucic talk. It would be fine with me if he never fights the guy or becomes Lucic, but does play the kind of game I just described. Bickell doesn't fight and I don't know if Clarkson, Malone or Clowe have ever taken on Lucic, but they play the game and produce the way I hope this kid does.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

It's a risk in the first round since both his offence and fighting ability are question marks.

It's safe in the sense that at worst he can be an energy line guy due to his size and willingness to hit.

I was the first to try and kill the Lucic talk, but both Timmins and McCarron mentioned Lucic as a comparison so the Lucic talk is their own fault.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Early on yes, but they went with skill afterwards with Lehkonen ,Andrighetto and Réway.
Crisp and Grégoire rounded up the crop nicely. Crisp is a gritty fighter and Grégoire is a defensive centre that wins face-offs and plays the body.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-01-2013, 03:10 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Crisp and Grégoire rounded up the crop nicely. Crisp is a gritty fighter and Grégoire is a defensive centre that wins face-offs and plays the body.
I think people are disappointed because this draft is as unsexy as it gets. Especially for the first three picks.

As you wisely pointed out, Habs have plenty of goal scorers/skilled guys in the pool already with Hudon, Bozon, Kristo, Collberg. They got guys to complement those in 2013.

And they added a few swing for the fences picks in Réway and Andrighetto.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Et le But

Well, it's "safe" to the extent that there's good odds he could at least be the next Blunden. After that anything is possible.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
A day later and I am still happy as hell to get McCarron.

Top 9 is the target. Any forward position on any line is fine as well.

A big guy who can be physical and play hockey. Thank you Bergevin.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He definitely addresses the size issue. He could end up 6'7" 250lbs, aren't too many guys that size around. He's also a righty, which makes him rarer.

If he can be a bigger/faster Bickell/Lucic hybrid, he'll be worth it. Definite project though.
Don't forget he can actually skate very well for his size and age, which I believe is 18... Just imagine when he is physically mature. LMAO He's not some giant plug that has had no success with other than his size. Just give it some time.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:24 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Could you for one second, as a parent, imagine what it took to feed this kid from age 11-18? LMAO His family has to be cattle ranchers or own a very large chicken farm. Maybe both!

Old
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akipa View Post
Top Shelf Prospects did not like this pick whatsoever. They had him ranked as the 60th prospect and think the Habs reached quite a bit to grab him. It was all due to his size.

Full Profile: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-60/
I don't put a lot of stock in these scouting services. I'd put them below ISS etc and them below the actual teams scouts.

If they were any good, they' be hired as scouts for professional teams and not a 3rd tier scouting service, IMO.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Apparently he had already committed to Mich State then de-committed to presumably play with his brother elsewhere but then he went with Western... quite odd. Certainly has no problem de-committing.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Is this is some kind of Ben Eager type project?

Closed Thread