HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
GDU

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wouldnt seven trades = 14 teams?
fair enough, chicago also made multiple trades and i can't really fault Mact for not being on Tanguay can you?

the fact is well over the half the league didnt make trades

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Approx half the league did make trades and Mact was quite vocal about being active in that regard. Just talking about it isnt enough. Tambellini never got the benefit of that kind of tolerance.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
copper_blue

Overall, MacT is doing just fine. We need to realize that only 3-4 roster players were traded yesterday at the draft.

Pros
- aggressive to make roster moves
- obtained Eakins
- open to the fans thru the media (recognizes the teams needs)
- turned 6 drafts picks into 10
- has not completed a bad trade as an eager, rookie GM (ex. Schneider)

Cons
- probably sold the hype (being bold) too much to the fans, set up huge expectations that will be difficult for him to realize
- missed an opportunity to at least obtain one roster player at the draft.

The reaction of some fans has been over the top, the anger towards MacT is unfair and unwarranted. There is no way he can fix the roster in one off-season.

Lets pass judgement at the end of the summer.

copper_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
WaitingForUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
If you don't think Acton is one of the "old boys" you should look up the 1987-1988 roster.
40 some odd games in an oiler sweater does not equate to OBC! Acton cut his teeth in coaching long ago without the oilers. He was selected by Eakins because they worked together in other places at other time previous.

WaitingForUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Chooch

So far, C-.

However, with the whole summer ahead, that can change drastically.

At the draft, after i saw Bolland get traded to Toronto for a reasonable price, it showed me that MacT was not being persistent enough about anybody other than Braydon Coburn. In his post draft interview yesterday, he stated that he wasn't as optimistic about helping the team as much as he thought he could but he's still hopeful. This just shows me that MacT, so far, simply got humbled and couldn't walk the talk at all. He's still got the rest of the summer to redeem himself to the fans, but with arguably our best trading asset gone (7th overall pick), it's going to be even tougher to make trades without paying even more of a significant price.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Heres my concern with Mact thus far. Indecision and confusion that has featured prominently.

1) MacT earlier goes looking for associate coach beans to help out Krueger who already had MacT's stated vote of confidence as head coach. MacT instead, as a surprise to everybody involved ends up buying the bean stalk instead and describes his *reasoning* in detail but that reads pretty much as feelings. Not one clear reason why Krueger was disposed was given. The dramatic change of direction had no tangible explanation. For lack of stated reasons this suggests confusion and org chaos.

2)MacT, by his own admission, goes to the draft table not being clear on what player to draft at 7 and not even clear that if both are available whether he will pick Niki, or Nurse. He stated this, he didn't know. He gargled something like "well figure it out at the draft table and with whats happening at the draft" ?! More confusion and chaos. An NHL club not even knowing who its going to pick number 1 while sitting at the draft table...

3)The reasons MacT cites for picking Nurse are at best superstitious. At worst completely random. MacT post draft interview is horrible. If he's trying to disarm other managers into thinking he's stumbling about at his job he's doing it well. Again indecision. If you can't come up with valid reasons for clearly selecting a top pick you don't have any. Waiting until the Oilers are called to the microphone won't provide any. This is like heading into final exams hoping the answers will magically jump in your head. it doesn't suggest a plan, any plan.

Well heres the deal. If you are not sure who you are even going to draft this would seem to symbolize that nobody is clearly jumping out at you between the two. Its clear as well given that that the org could forego either player. So in that case, knowing you are unsure with your pick why not package it, deal it, trade it. We need NHL players, not a long list of more draft picks.

Indecision, not impatience, is the word of the day.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-01-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
dnicks17

I'm not sure why MacT would be in on Bolland.

Pretty steep price to pay for a center who can't stay healthy or win a face-off and is a UFA after this coming season.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

So, far I'm happy with MacT. Grade: A

I'm okay with MacTavish's inaction on the trade front at the draft table. Like most everyone else, I was anticipating more moves at the table and still expect some as the summer progresses; but I'm not unhappy with draft day, and I really don't want MacT moving on deals that don't make sense for the club just to show activity. The truth is that there were not a lot of trades on draft day, and I'm not sure that I wanted the Oilers in on them anyway. MacTavish, in my view made an intelligent decision for the future of the club yesterday, by restocking the prospect cupboards.

A lot of people were upset that the Oilers didn't make the trade Toronto made to land Dave Bolland, a $3.75M centre, who is a UFA after next season. Let's look at how that played out: Dave Bolland was moved to the Leaf for a pick that would land Chicago Swedish defenseman Carl Dahlström in the second round and then they packaged their acquired 117th pick from Toronto. Chicago used the 117th pick and 156th pick to land another Swedish defenseman, Robin Norell. They still have Toronto's fourth round pick at next year's draft. For an equivalent, the Oilers would be giving up second round pick (#56) Marc-Olivier Roy and fourth round pick (#114) Aiden Muir and a fourth rounder next season. I guess that we'll see how Roy, Muir, and our fourth rounder next season turn out. I don't see that Bolland is a huge upgrade over Lander, and he makes a significant amount for a third line centre. In the new cap world, picks have an increased value. In my view, that deal does not make sense for the Oilers; they still need to look towards the future, without being too mired in the present with the players they have.

What I'm particularly happy about is the intelligence of the moves that MacTavish has made thus far. The Belov signing in the summer was a slick move. Also, turning the 37th overall pick yesterday (through two separate deals) into Bogdan Yakimov, Anton Slepyshev, Jackson Houck, Kyle Platzer, and Aidan Muir makes me smile quite a bit. I also like going to Russia for the two picks--Yakimov and Slepyshev. It makes a whole lot of sense to me. The Oilers have also had good success drafting from the BCHL, and went there again this year, selecting RWer Evan Campbell, who is NCAA bound.
I also like the following list of acquired prospects from yesterday. They fill some needs at the prospect level, where we were getting in short supply:
  • Nurse, a 6'4" D, a potential franchise defenseman.
  • Marc-Olivier Roy, a 6'1" C, a skilled, tenacious centreman with offensive upside.
  • Yakimov a 6'4" big, skilled centre in the KHL with good hands..
  • Slepyshev a 6'1" LWer in the KHL
  • Houck a 6'0" RWer, leading scorer on the Vancouver Giants (WHL)
  • Platzer 5'll" a skilled, two-way RWer who played sheltered minutes on a talented London Knights (OHL) squad.
  • Muir is 6'4" C or LWer, who plays a gritty, tough game, headed to Western Michigan University next season.
  • Campbell 6'2" RWer or LWer, a BCHLer committed to the University of Massachusetts Lowell next season
  • Betker 6'5" D, a shutdown defenseman, playing for the Silvertips of the WHL.
What I like most about the draft is that we can now afford to let a lot of these players develop seasoning (in the KHL, NCAA, and in the CHL). With the addition of ten prospects we add significant depth, and we can begin developing players instead of rushing them. This is a draft with the long-term interest of the club at heart. I'm glad that MacTavish is prepared to do that and show some patience, when he is in a position with so much expectation from the fans. To me, it shows character as well as intelligence.

As an aside, I also thought that MacT was easily the best draft day quote: “My deal-rate-per-spoken-word is very low right now.” Funny. My confidence in MacT is not shaken. He will get it done, and I'm glad he's not going to blink on a deal, that's when you lose your shirt.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Heres my concern with Mact thus far. Indecision and confusion that has featured prominently.

3)The reasons MacT cites for picking Nurse are at best superstitious. At worst completely random. MacT post draft interview is horrible. If he's trying to disarm other managers into thinking he's stumbling about at his job he's doing it well. Again indecision. If you can;'t come up with valid reasons for clearly selecting a top pick you don't have any.
That was a really strange interview. For a guy that is so well spoken, that sounded like the rantings of an 80 year old with Alzheimer's.

If these bold moves we've been talking about don't happen this offseason then MacT has failed. I'll reserve my judgement for now, but to miss out on doing anything on draft day doesn't make me feel hopeful.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:03 PM
GDU

Quote:
Approx half the league did make trades and Mact was quite vocal about being active in that regard. Just talking about it isnt enough. Tambellini never got the benefit of that kind of tolerance.
ummmm tambo got the benefit of doing nothing for four years... no one was calling for his head while he had the benefit of a shniy new 1st round pick every year while adding garbage ufas and contracts (horcoff, kahbby, belanger, eager)...

You're hate for Mact is hilarious, i agree he's talked up a big game, he's also acknowledged that his level of movement thus far has not lived up to that, any reasonable person would give him at least the summer or even season to live up to it...

if MacT starts signing garbage players to make yp for a lack of movement ill join the MacT hatewagon, until then i can't believe a knowledgeable hockey fan like yourself would not do the same

Old
07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
That was a really strange interview. For a guy that is so well spoken, that sounded like the rantings of an 80 year old with Alzheimer's.

If these bold moves we've been talking about don't happen this offseason then MacT has failed. I'll reserve my judgement for now, but to miss out on doing anything on draft day doesn't make me feel hopeful.
I had to watch it a few times wondering if he's had some giggle pops or if he's medicated or hasn't slept in a week. He was basically stammering. When the majority of what you are stating is um's and ahhhs you're stating a lot of nothing and you don't even have any planned thoughts to express. This is MacT talking in realtime as strange thoughts occur to him. The temptation is to keep the microphone on, prop him up against the wall, and let him keep rambling. My feeling being given enough time he would excommunicate himself out of a job. (on any regular or normal team or org)

Apparently for the Oilers its enough that he can string legible words together. Even if they don't make any sense.

Seriously, who here would be comfortable hearing that you were hired because the hiring Manager stated the reason you're hired is he took a piss with your uncle, fed your pet parakeet who was flying over his lawn, the groundhog said so, and he saw your momma on the bus who waved at him in a dream..

Just when you thought the defining jump the shark moment happened along comes another, and another.

The above meant to be viewed with some humor btw. This apparently needing to be stated. This org is worth a laugh sometimes. Better than crying.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
misfit

The only think I'm seriously dissapointed about is that they didn't make a similar (or better) offer for Dave Bolland than what Toronto was able to get him for. With two 2nds, we surely could've beat the 2nd, 3rd, future 4th price Chicago got for him. He's an ideal 3rd line C and not only an upgrade on Horcoff, but at $3.75M, he's a good deal.

07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The only think I'm seriously dissapointed about is that they didn't make a similar (or better) offer for Dave Bolland than what Toronto was able to get him for. With two 2nds, we surely could've beat the 2nd, 3rd, future 4th price Chicago got for him. He's an ideal 3rd line C and not only an upgrade on Horcoff, but at $3.75M, he's a good deal.
bolland was never coming here, he was traded to TO as a favour by Chic

Old
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
D. Hasn't done anything to improve the team Tambo wouldn't have done, and all the yapping about all the things he wants and which players he doesn't want to keep for next season was dumb.

Of course there is time to improve his grade, but so far he has been skipping class.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm not sure why MacT would be in on Bolland.

Pretty steep price to pay for a center who can't stay healthy or win a face-off and is a UFA after this coming season.

Because he'e got size, plays with grit, toughness, and can finish hits pretty well. Also, despite his role on a team, he does have offensive upside. To me, that sure as hell sounds like a player we desperately could use. You aren't going to find a player that's a unique snowflake, everyone has flaws in their game. I am sure you know this, but the whole point in trading for a UFA before free agency hits is to have the first crack at contract negotiation. If MacT was fine with pitching a trade for an overpaid Braydon Coburn, which thankfully did not happen, Dave Bolland can't be all that bad, can it? If you think the price for Bolland was steep, just wait until after free agency to see if players like that have their trade value decreased.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Beerfish

Anyone thinking that trading down for picks was Plan A or plan B has rocks in their heads. It was Plan C, even that is a suspect plan C. Much like trades being won often by the team that gets the best player so is the draft.

If they had wanted to add a number of picks in mid to late rounds they should have dealt Hemksy for picks. Of course this team has been bleating the last 2-3 years that we don't need or want any more prospects but rather want to get better now.

The team still needs to get nhl bodies and we have no draft picks as ammo. Horcoff gets you nothing, Hemksy will get you little. That means we are looking at parting with good prospects. MPS, Marincin, klefbom who knows.

So far I've been thoroughly unimpressed by our Gm. He is not acting like a competant, all business gm. As others have pointed out he still has free agency to go and till the start of the reg season.

So far he's been worse than I expected.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
JetsOilersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
F for fail.

He hasn't done anything to hurt us but he's done the exact same thing as Tambo has so far. He was brought in to get things done and it was expected to improve us at the draft.

I really like the guys he drafted, but that's not what we were supposed to be doing at this draft. You can give me a million reasons or excuses why (best one being there was pretty much no teams wanting to make any big moves at the draft) but the fact is that Tambo got fired because we needed to get things done.
It's funny about all these 'tambo' haters. Sorry,but you guys don't have a freaking clue about what goes on behind closed doors. I'll say it again (and again and again) Tambo had NOTHING to deal with when he took over. Go ahead tambo haters, prove me wrong. Go back to the first year he was GM here and YOU tell ME what we had that if you were a GM you'd trade for. Our farm system was a joke, our future prospects NON EXISTENT. His mandate first and formost was to build a FARM SYSTEM - you can't do that if you trade away all your picks.

Tambo was not a bad GM - he was actually really good by NOT trading away future picks/prospects for a bunch of ahole hockey players who would only be here a year or two then leave.

MacT is now starting to see just how tough it is. NOBODY is lining up for Hemsky or Horcoff - If you were a GM would you offer good players/prospect them? One of our top 4 will need to be traded and it's still a bit too early to do it. You gotta give to get and the 'get' has to be worth it. No one is interested in making us better right now.

MacT did alright - I wanted Jarry though you never know down the road we could trade for him

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Why would Chicago want to send him to us to make our roster stronger when all they would get back is draft picks? There's a reason guys like Bolland, Schneider, Clutterbuck have been sent out east. Their former teams don't want to deal with them 3-6 times a season.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Wouldnt seven trades = 14 teams?
Depends on how many of the teams were the same

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Let's play You-be-the-GM. Here's the deals that were made. What Oiler equivalent trades should he have made to vastly improve the club?
• Jets get Michael Frolik for a 3rd-Round Pick (2013), 5th-Round Pick (2013)
• Leafs acquire David Bolland for 2nd-Round Pick (2013), 4th-Round Pick (2013), and a 4th-Round Pick (2014)
• Hurricanes acquire Andrej Sekera D for Buffalo’s Jamie McBain and a 2nd-Round Pick (2013)
• Devils acquire Cory Schneider for a 1st-Round Pick (2013) from Vancouver
• Islanders acquire Cal Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick from the Wild for Nino Niederreiter
• Sharks acquire Tyler Kennedy for a 2nd Round Pick (2013)
• Rangers acquire Justin Falk D for Benn Ferriero F from the Wild and a 6th-Round Pick (2014)

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Why would Chicago want to send him to us to make our roster stronger when all they would get back is draft picks? There's a reason guys like Bolland, Schneider, Clutterbuck have been sent out east. Their former teams don't want to deal with them 3-6 times a season.
Minny and Chicago aren't going to be in Edmonton's division next year, nor will they be playing against Edmonton any more than they will NYi and Toronto respectively.

Besides, the whole "I don't want to make ____ team better" is a loser mentality. You make trades that best improve your team, and if you can get a better return for your player by one team, that's the one you make IMO. It carries a little more weight when it's directly within your division, but as I mentioned earlier, that wasn't the case with Chicago or Minnesota.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Everest

None of the roster players who were moved yesterday were really "bold" acquisitions.

Schneider is the biggest name and IMO he is a starting goaltender. Nothing more. Not a guy worth moving a top 10 pick.

So...Im not worried about NOT making a trade...but...the way we went about handling the draft itself looked a lot like a very inexperienced manager just randomly shuffling around with no reasoning behind any of it.

So...pretty much how it always goes with this team.

Don't get me wrong...I think Slepyshev might emerge as a player here someday...but...was it really necessary to draft him THIS year? Aren't there better ways to recruit KHLers?

And the other picks are just utterly strange when you consider how much we gave up...basically backing right out of the top half of the 2nd round.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
DousedInOil

Wow, some people on here just love to hate. I mean, MacT was on the record for being the busiest GM of the day. It's not his fault that the deals fell through- it takes two to tango. Whatever, keep on blindly hating fans. It's not like you would have done any better.

The draft was solid. B+

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Paralyzer008

So far, MacT gets a B.

Belov was a nice pick-up.
Dallas Eakins was a good hire in my opinion
Failed to grab Antti Raanta but was in the mix.
Targeted the wrong players on draft day in my opinion but didn't pull the trigger on tempting deals, which was a good thing on Schneider.
Drafted Darnell Nurse and picked up a good amount of draft picks when we didn't have much.

This week will be crucial in grading MacT. Who does he qualify? Does he find homes for Horcoff and Hemsky and maybe even Schultz? Does he make a bold trade? Does he pick up a few free agents?

When I say targeted the wrong players, I mean that instead of going after Coburn and Schneider, I'd rather have MacT go after Edler and Lecavalier

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Whatever do you mean? The fanbase tolerated all kinds of horrendous player transactions from Tambellini for the first year or two.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote