HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Legwand

Old
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Persona5

vCash: 500
David Legwand

He is 32 now and has this next season left on his contract. Should Poile be looking at an extension or would a trade come into play at some point. The last thing we need is for him to bolt at the end of next season for nothing at all. He may not be an amazing player but he does hold a good amount of value.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
He is 32 now and has this next season left on his contract. Should Poile be looking at an extension or would a trade come into play at some point. The last thing we need is for him to bolt at the end of next season for nothing at all. He may not be an amazing player but he does hold a good amount of value.
Weird to think of Legwand not on the Preds, but this is a real situation. Fisher's contract runs out a year later, so we're forced to push the issue with Leggy, provided we don't trade Fisher. I think the general consensus is that we don't have room for both of them long term. Last year, Trotz said he wanted to try Wilson at center, but with no training camp, he scrapped that idea. If Trotz truly wants him to be a center going forward, that may have something to do with what we do with Legwand. If we aren't in the playoff race, you know the trade offers will be coming our way. I think long-term, it boils down to keeping either Legwand or Fisher. Legwand turns 33 in August, Fisher turned 33 in June. Same age, same position, some production.

I literally have no idea.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
ilikeblocks

Keep Fisher, let Leggy leave.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I think had we got Mackinnon or Barkov yesterday then Fishers career here would have been over at the end of his next contract.

Legwand, however, will almost certainly be extended. Hes not going to command huge money as a UFA at age 33 and Im guessing he doesnt really want to leave.

I can see Poile offering 4 years at 4 million cap hit

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I think if (massive 'if') we can manage to land a very good center that we can keep on the first line, we can keep Legwand and Fisher long-term as second and third liners. Not an elite center necessarily, but a solid one that can be on the top line at the least. We can upgrade from Leggy and Fisher but still keep them around. A sufficient first liner/Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad is certainly a decent enough set of centers.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Persona5

Looking at the teams cap numbers over the next few season they seem to have set us up well down the road. Fishers contract ends when Smith, Wilson, and Bourque will be due new contracts. Gaustads contract ends when Forsberg will be due a new contract more than likely.

If we keep Legwand I could see a two year extension at the same number as Fisher at 4.2m. I would hate to see Legwand in another uniform but it could be a reality.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think if (massive 'if') we can manage to land a very good center that we can keep on the first line, we can keep Legwand and Fisher long-term as second and third liners. Not an elite center necessarily, but a solid one that can be on the top line at the least. We can upgrade from Leggy and Fisher but still keep them around. A sufficient first liner/Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad is certainly a decent enough set of centers.
Like maybe a Filppula?

Old
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
PanniniClaus

He plays in his own zone at a Selke level. When I want to teach centers to play low in the D zone - I use Legwand footage.

If it comes down to him or Fisher I send Fisher packing every time.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
He plays in his own zone at a Selke level. When I want to teach centers to play low in the D zone - I use Legwand footage.
Too true.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:46 PM
NoNecksCurse

if leggy gets a 4 year, 16 million contract... ill be angry

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Like maybe a Filppula?
Looking at his point totals, I don't get his appeal as a top forward. But.....I obviously don't see many Wings games so, maybe there's more to it.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Looking at his point totals, I don't get his appeal as a top forward. But.....I obviously don't see many Wings games so, maybe there's more to it.
He's a name, and he's not on our team, is about all I can gather. Filppula was terrible last season. Not an upgrade over Fisher/Legwand. Different skill set, perhaps...

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Predsrule

cant see him not retiring a ped. long term i think he gets 2nd line and fisher gets 3rd line if we can bring in a number 1 center. worse case move him to the wing and et him and fisher set the shut down 3rd line

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
cant see him not retiring a ped. long term i think he gets 2nd line and fisher gets 3rd line if we can bring in a number 1 center. worse case move him to the wing and et him and fisher set the shut down 3rd line
Does everyone hate Fisher that much. I thought he was our #1 center last season and even if we pick up someone to fit into that #1 spot I would think Fisher would move to the 2nd line with Legwand going to the 3rd or moving to the wing.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Looking at the free agent options at center, there's not a ton that stands out. Ribeiro is the guy I want, but that's what about 24 other teams are going to say too.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Does everyone hate Fisher that much. I thought he was our #1 center last season and even if we pick up someone to fit into that #1 spot I would think Fisher would move to the 2nd line with Legwand going to the 3rd or moving to the wing.
no hate at all just being realistic... he gets hurt a lot, and will be 35 by the end of his next contract. I cant see us needing his services after that, unless he takes a big discount and none of our other center prospects have worked out

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
weeze

Quote:
I agree, not sure why people are down on Fisher. I think he is a better player than Leggy. Doesn't make the mistakes, will give out some big hits and even drop the gloves. All things Leggy does not do. Plus the Underwood connection I think might be to big to ignore.

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Looking at the free agent options at center, there's not a ton that stands out. Ribeiro is the guy I want, but that's what about 24 other teams are going to say too.
No way the Preds spend the kind of money it will take to land Ribeiro.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
predfan24

Quote:
In theory that sounds good but that's just too much money tied into Fish/Leggy/Gaustad AND a top line center. It would never happen. One or two of those guys has to go in the next few years if we are able to upgrade on them.

For example, I know it's a longshot but if we were able to bring in Vinny that would be a solid center group.

Vinny
Fish
Leggy
Gaustad

But not one that is sustainable financially. Also don't forgot this might be the year Trotz tries Willy at center. I'll be honest when I say I don't have much faith in that working out but if it did it would just be another reason one or two of these guys would be expenable.

predfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
In theory that sounds good but that's just too much money tied into Fish/Leggy/Gaustad AND a top line center. It would never happen. One or two of those guys has to go in the next few years if we are able to upgrade on them.

For example, I know it's a longshot but if we were able to bring in Vinny that would be a solid center group.

Vinny
Fish
Leggy
Gaustad

But not one that is sustainable financially. Also don't forgot this might be the year Trotz tries Willy at center. I'll be honest when I say I don't have much faith in that working out but if it did it would just be another reason one or two of these guys would be expenable.
Past even being a longshot. Preds and I think the wild were the only ones not mentioned as meeting with Vinny over the weekend.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote