HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Tambellini was always a misunderstood man. He was too intelligent for the rest of us, really.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Why on earth is Kelly B still here? Has K-Lowe convinced Katz that we owe our older players because they played in a time that players didn't make so much money while these guys sacrificed so much for us? That doesn't justify things.

Nobody forced them to be hockey players. They chose to do it.
Bucky is still here because he's been in charge of the only thing working for this team over the past 2 years, special teams. Our PK especially under him has been great. Just because he's one of the "old boys" guys doesn't mean he automatically sucks.

People talking trash about Bucky just shows how ignorant about coaching they truly are.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
aqib

I am going to wait until the trade deadline before I make a call. So far he has landed one of the most sought after coaches in the league and drafted a top flight defenseman in the first round. Considering that I have been hoping for a top flight defenseman since Pronger left I have to be happy with what has transpired so far. Let's see how things unfold before overreacting just because we weren't onboard with the decision to hire him in the first place.

aqib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Bucky is still here because he's been in charge of the only thing working for this team over the past 2 years, special teams. Our PK especially under him has been great. Just because he's one of the "old boys" guys doesn't mean he automatically sucks.

People talking trash about Bucky just shows how ignorant about coaching they truly are.
Smith got the credit for the PK this season. Also pretty sure I read that Krueger was the big reason for the PP turning around last year, in addition to having better players to work with of course, and that carried over to this season (somewhat, it dropped off a bit). Still not sure what Buchy does...haven't really heard of him getting credit for anything so far in his time as an assistant coach, aside from setting records for surviving head coach changes.

Last edited by oobga: 07-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
shiva

hard to rate because there are a lot of things outside of his control. Other GM's may want too much, certain players were drafted ahead, and of course the constant criticism here when people should have paid attention to what he was trying to do.

- Lack of center? None available, all top centers taken, all left at 7 were "2nd tier" type, which he DID get one in Roy. Nurse sounds like a hell of a good player.
- no goalie? MacT made the trade right after the Habs nabbed the goalie he wanted. It was a very weak year for goalies, and drafting one there may have been a good chance that goalie was no better than what we already had. Instead, he traded twice, and got us FIVE picks, and the players he did draft then, were more than fair value for the traded pick (those two Russians come to mind) and replaced the picks thrown away by Tambi
- With no trades possible, he drafted exactly what the team needed for prospect depth, forwards with size (a few centers as well) with some very good upside. I really like a few of those names, and all were with those 5 picks.

he added some great pieces, and fixed the depth problem for forward prospects.If you get a NHL level player with a 3rd round plus pick, that is a major success. I think he got 2, with a 3rd possible, and that is a successful draft.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Smartguy

Still early but ill give him an A right now I liked the draft aside from slightly wanting nish more than nurse but nurse wasn't an awful pick so can't complain. The next couple weeks will have to be huge for him to stay at an A for me though. He tried to make moves yesterday just realized that its harder than he thought and he admitted that. Whenever I start thinking its bad I just tell myself our GM could be feaster

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Everest

Im sure this has been talked about many times before...but...I just tweeted it so I'll drop it in here too:

From the 2nd round or later...in the past 10 (ten) drafts...the Oilers have ONE guy in their current roster.

Jeff Petry.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
ummmm tambo got the benefit of doing nothing for four years... no one was calling for his head while he had the benefit of a shniy new 1st round pick every year while adding garbage ufas and contracts (horcoff, kahbby, belanger, eager)...
Sure he did. From those who were on him from the start over his questionable signings and trades, Cole, O'Sullivan, Kotalik, Khabby, Heatley, it goes on and on. And then there were those who didnt like "tanking". They wanted him gone for doing that alone.

Quote:
You're hate for Mact is hilarious, i agree he's talked up a big game, he's also acknowledged that his level of movement thus far has not lived up to that, any reasonable person would give him at least the summer or even season to live up to it...
Ive seen this movie before. I wont spoil the ending but the guys in the red shirts dont make it back to the Enterprise. Maybe if Mact hadnt already burned through eight freakin years of ineptitude here already, I may be a little more receptive to giving him some time.

Quote:
if MacT starts signing garbage players to make yp for a lack of movement ill join the MacT hatewagon, until then i can't believe a knowledgeable hockey fan like yourself would not do the same
I presented my views as pertaining to the question at hand (subject of the thread) on page one. I gave him credit where it was due, and gave my opinion of where his shortcomings have been as far as the draft is concerned. I would expect anyone to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Let's play You-be-the-GM. Here's the deals that were made. What Oiler equivalent trades should he have made to vastly improve the club?
• Jets get Michael Frolik for a 3rd-Round Pick (2013), 5th-Round Pick (2013)
• Leafs acquire David Bolland for 2nd-Round Pick (2013), 4th-Round Pick (2013), and a 4th-Round Pick (2014)
• Hurricanes acquire Andrej Sekera D for Buffalo’s Jamie McBain and a 2nd-Round Pick (2013)
• Devils acquire Cory Schneider for a 1st-Round Pick (2013) from Vancouver
• Islanders acquire Cal Clutterbuck and a 3rd round pick from the Wild for Nino Niederreiter
• Sharks acquire Tyler Kennedy for a 2nd Round Pick (2013)
• Rangers acquire Justin Falk D for Benn Ferriero F from the Wild and a 6th-Round Pick (2014)
Im not the gm, nor should I be. Fact of the matter is Mact made promises that he couldnt deliver.

Perhaps next time he should just keep his mouth shut and let his actions speak for him. The fans dont need to be spoonfed a blow by blow commentary on the state of affairs, they want to see a winning product on the ice. Its his job to make that happen, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Whatever do you mean? The fanbase tolerated all kinds of horrendous player transactions from Tambellini for the first year or two.
Not true. They were on him from the get go. From Eric Cole to Tom Gilbert, he was harangued at every turn. Not only for the moves he made, but especially for the moves he didnt make. Perhaps it wasnt so easy to make things happen after all?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Everest

As much as I like Nichushkin...the Oilers have now added 3 Russian players to their depth list in the last couple months. Doesn't seem likely they were shy of "The Russian Factor".

They simply liked Nurse better. Im good with that.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Im sure this has been talked about many times before...but...I just tweeted it so I'll drop it in here too:

From the 2nd round or later...in the past 10 (ten) drafts...the Oilers have ONE guy in their current roster.

Jeff Petry.
I understand the point that you are making, but we need comparisons to other teams in order to draw a conclusion from that.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post

He's here because he is friends with Katz.

That's it. Period.

Any link to any proof that he is in charge and has been in charge of special teams would be appreciated. Because Im calling shenanigans on that.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Smith got the credit for the PK this season. Also pretty sure I read that Krueger was the big reason for the PP turning around last year, in addition to having better players to work with of course, and that carried over to this season (somewhat, it dropped off a bit). Still not sure what Buchy does...haven't really heard of him getting credit for anything so far in his time as an assistant coach, aside from setting records for surviving head coach changes.
With RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, Hemsky and Schultz I'm pretty sure a blind monkey can turn that into a good PP.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Jeff Petry.
I made a thread about this. Had a poll and everything. Did you vote?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1454217

Old
07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I understand the point that you are making, but we need comparisons to other teams in order to draw a conclusion from that.
Do we really?

I think its safe to assume there aren't many teams with LESS success outside of round one.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
He should've been in on Kennedy and Bolland. We could have made better offers than what they went for.
Wait, you would have given up more than a second round pick for Kennedy? The guy is extraordinarily average. He would have fit in perfectly with all the other players who need to be moved.

Very surprised San Jose gave up that much for him.

As for Bolland, what would you have offered to guarantee a trade, knowing that Chicago didn't want to trade him within the conference?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I made a thread about this. Had a poll and everything. Did you vote?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1454217
I voted for the one with all the asterix's.

There is nothing to indicate Stu is any better than any random person off the street at his job.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Quinteoilers

Some what disappointed, but I'll wait until opening night to see if anything has changed.

Quinteoilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Do we really?

I think its safe to assume there aren't many teams with LESS success outside of round one.
And Phoenix had more guys selected in the top 10 than any other team. Stats like that don't always prove much

07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
And Phoenix had more guys selected in the top 10 than any other team. Stats like that don't always prove much
It proves we have FAILED to produce any quality out of our depth picks in...forever.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
edmonton_ice

Give him some time

Rome wasn't built in a day and we know the Oiler's were never built under tambo. Give MacT some time to make the deals. GM's are asking for alot in return and who knows maybe Nurse will be a stud. 2-3 years from now we can look back at this thread and rate his performance.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Asher

Very unimpressed so far.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
S Crumb

Mac T has been OK (B). I guess he hasn't really messed up yet but he hasn't made next year's team any better either. We are banking only on improvement through development of our young guys at this point. Nurse was the easy pick for me so he hasn't done anything better than Tambo yet except for hiring a new coach. I guess I give him credit for having the stones to do so. Apart from that, I can't grade him because he hasn't done anything exceptional yet and that is not a knock against him. We will have to wait and see. It looks like the Oilers might be going the route of building their entire team through the draft though. No other GMs go this route because there is no way they would keep their jobs throughout the process. We have added to proving that theory. He said he wants to get better now but gives up a better player to get more draft picks. I really don't understand that move. Does he feel the need to fill holes on the farm? I don't know. All we have left for trading chips outside of the so called untouchables are Horcoff and Hemmer so don't expect much in the way of acquiring talent for the bottom 6 unless we dip into the safe deposit box. As I said about Tambo a couple of years ago, let's see what you got Mac T.

S Crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Approx half the league did make trades and Mact was quite vocal about being active in that regard. Just talking about it isnt enough. Tambellini never got the benefit of that kind of tolerance.
Tolerance? Let's consider what tolerance this tolerance looks like: MacTavish has been the GM for 10 weeks. There has been at least one Fire MacT thread on this board (8 weeks in) and people are giving him performance grades at the draft (10 weeks in) a few days after the Stanley Cup is awarded. Some people in this thread, including you (and I enjoy your posting by the way), are angrily writing about his inactivity and are seemingly surprised that in 10 weeks he hasn't found deals to turn around our franchise.

So far, MacTavish has made a few small but fairly significant moves. Anton Belov addresses a significant need on the blueline. He also addressed a weakness in the depth of our prospect system by turning a 2nd round draft pick into picks that enabled our scouts to draft two skilled Russian players with size and to place some great bets on players like Jackson Houck, Kyle Platzer and Aidan Muir. He's also been far from inactive and involved in the most discussions of any GM according to most reports; he just hasn't found a dance partner for a trade that makes our team better. It takes time to make such deals in the NHL and to find a partner in them. He has an entire summer to pull the trigger on some deals. Deals are going to happen between now and Free Agency, after more compliance buy-outs take place, etc., and beyond the remainder of the summer and on into the season. I'm glad MacTavish isn't merely in an assessment phase; he seems to know what this team's needs are, and he's actively pursuing it. Every GM is trying to make their team better, so it's not an easy process to acquire the pieces without giving up significant pieces in the process.

Quote:
Im not the gm, nor should I be. Fact of the matter is Mact made promises that he couldnt deliver.

Perhaps next time he should just keep his mouth shut and let his actions speak for him. The fans dont need to be spoonfed a blow by blow commentary on the state of affairs, they want to see a winning product on the ice. Its his job to make that happen, not mine.
Couldn't deliver? After 10 whole weeks? Don't you think that you are being a tad unrealistic? I thought MacT said he was an impatient man. He should meet you!

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
JetsOilersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Whatever do you mean? The fanbase tolerated all kinds of horrendous player transactions from Tambellini for the first year or two.
Really- and what would you have done? Go back and look at the roster. Tell me what yo would have done! And remember, hind sight is 20/20 so you need to look at what was available, what we had to offer, and also whether or not the player would have signed here. Don't kid yourself, Dany Heatley and Michael Nylander were not the only players who didn't want to come here. NO ONE of any value wanted to come here. Trust me, were were the LAST choice of just about everybody. It's amazing how all these arm chair GM's think they can do better. MacT is learning quickly it's not easy. OF course, Tambo was just probably building up some relationships when we fired him, now MacT has to start from square one. Only deals he'll be able to make are ones where we get fleeced. You watch and see.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
If MacT wanted a fair and level report card and time to work as GM, then he should have never come back to the Oilers with all his alumni buddies. People are already fed up with having a team that can't win for seven years. Coming back to the team where fans were saying "Fire MacT!" already when he was a coach was asking for punishment. Then making bold promises about huge changes happening rapidly is setting himself up to fail.

As long as he's GM for the Oilers, MacT will always be under a extra layer of scrutiny. Much of it earned by his own actions.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote