HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro vs Niinimaa

View Poll Results: Who won this trade?
Habs fleeced them bigtime! 12 3.72%
Habs look better now than before 97 30.03%
Even trade 114 35.29%
Dallas improved here 64 19.81%
Gainey got smoked again! 36 11.15%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-21-2006, 03:55 PM
pavlako11

vCash: 500
So 6 games later and we're getting "fleeced" on deals already?

Common! You have to let the year go by and then look at the trade at that point. If we wrote off Higgins in the first half of last year he never would've gotten the 20+ he did in the second half.

Say BG kept Ribeiro, who's the odd man out? Bonk is not a 4th line centre, and he's shown a lot thus far and our 3rd line has been great, the first line amazing and our fourth line does what it does and that is create energy. It's not as easy as "we should've kept Ribs because our 2nd line sucks." With him in the lineup, lines 2,3,4 are all different.

Ribs had a one-year deal last year, why? Because Gainey gave him a chance to prove himself, which he didn't, so he got the boot. How bout we all act like rational people and WAIT a little longer to see how the season goes first.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
So 6 games later and we're getting "fleeced" on deals already?

Common! You have to let the year go by and then look at the trade at that point. If we wrote off Higgins in the first half of last year he never would've gotten the 20+ he did in the second half.

Say BG kept Ribeiro, who's the odd man out? Bonk is not a 4th line centre, and he's shown a lot thus far and our 3rd line has been great, the first line amazing and our fourth line does what it does and that is create energy. It's not as easy as "we should've kept Ribs because our 2nd line sucks." With him in the lineup, lines 2,3,4 are all different.

Ribs had a one-year deal last year, why? Because Gainey gave him a chance to prove himself, which he didn't, so he got the boot. How bout we all act like rational people and WAIT a little longer to see how the season goes first.
And Gainey gave him a raise for this year, why? 'Cause Gainey wanted to see what he could finally do with two alledged great wingers and based on a 1-year contract, you knew you would get something good from him. And then most of us were saying that he was Carbo's little project and most of us were fine with that. It wouldn't hurt to have him work better defensively while he was suppose to have that great chemistry with Kovy and that alledge superstar in Sammy.

As far as who's the odd-man out, well, who knows what Pleks with Johnson and Perez would do. And who knows what Bonk-Bégin-Lats/Murray/Downey would've done. Or even Pleks centering the 4th though he'll have tons of icetime with the PK and sometimes a 4ht of Pleks-Bégin-Lats/Murray/Downey might be your 2nd best of any game. I hate to put a number on lines 'cause it all depens on who's hot on a specific game. While Sammy's on the 2nd, he played tons of time less than all members of the 3rd. And I can't believe you find that our 4th is doing a good job, Lats is still wondering what to do, Bégin is not at ease at the center position and Murray is not the Murray we knew last year......

But at least, it would have give us the time to properly know if Ribs would be more serious about his game, more time to evaluate Pleks offensive performances by giving him some PP time and on a 3rd offensive line as well.

Or even if Ribs do well, and Bonk is your #3 centerman and don't find appropriate to put Pleks on the 4th and still need a d-man, well you trade him and obviously get a better return than Niniimaa. 'Cause to get some you need to give some and I believe the return could've been much better.....

But for the record, I did say that Dallas won SO FAR. I just can't believe that RIGHT NOW, some people could even think that we won or that's even, 'cause RIGHT NOW it just not. That's all.

But you're also right when you say that we can't judge a trade with just a few games played. I do remember though people saying how Gainey was a god after the Hossa-Murray trade 'cause Murray was so effective. Well, I'm beginning to hear how Murray is so ineffective and shouldn't be part of our actual roster but then Hossa is still a part of the Rangers roster (not saying he's doing any miracles though like I thought he would too, that I acknowledge I was really wrong about it.....)

So Let's wait for a final judgment, I agree.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 04:20 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And Gainey gave him a raise for this year, why? 'Cause Gainey wanted to see what he could finally do with two alledged great wingers and based on a 1-year contract, you knew you would get something good from him. And then most of us were saying that he was Carbo's little project and most of us were fine with that. It wouldn't hurt to have him work better defensively while he was suppose to have that great chemistry with Kovy and that alledge superstar in Sammy.

As far as who's the odd-man out, well, who knows what Pleks with Johnson and Perez would do. And who knows what Bonk-Bégin-Lats/Murray/Downey would've done. Or even Pleks centering the 4th though he'll have tons of icetime with the PK and sometimes a 4ht of Pleks-Bégin-Lats/Murray/Downey might be your 2nd best of any game. I hate to put a number on lines 'cause it all depens on who's hot on a specific game. While Sammy's on the 2nd, he played tons of time less than all members of the 3rd. And I can't believe you find that our 4th is doing a good job, Lats is still wondering what to do, Bégin is not at ease at the center position and Murray is not the Murray we knew last year......

But at least, it would have give us the time to properly know if Ribs would be more serious about his game, more time to evaluate Pleks offensive performances by giving him some PP time and on a 3rd offensive line as well.

Or even if Ribs do well, and Bonk is your #3 centerman and don't find appropriate to put Pleks on the 4th and still need a d-man, well you trade him and obviously get a better return than Niniimaa. 'Cause to get some you need to give some and I believe the return could've been much better.....

But for the record, I did say that Dallas won SO FAR. I just can't believe that RIGHT NOW, some people could even think that we won or that's even, 'cause RIGHT NOW it just not. That's all.

But you're also right when you say that we can't judge a trade with just a few games played. I do remember though people saying how Gainey was a god after the Hossa-Murray trade 'cause Murray was so effective. Well, I'm beginning to hear how Murray is so ineffective and shouldn't be part of our actual roster but then Hossa is still a part of the Rangers roster (not saying he's doing any miracles though like I thought he would too, that I acknowledge I was really wrong about it.....)

So Let's wait for a final judgment, I agree.
Sounds good I agree with what you wrote that makes sense.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well personally I can look at this trade and say that RIGHT NOW, it's not even close. You win a trade based on the fact that while not loosing anything you gain something good. Niniimaa would not have played right now for the Stars and they gain a PPG player. Habs while gaining a body, still didn't replace Ribs on the 2nd line. Easy win SO FAR but we'll see on the long run. I believe Ribs might begin having more problems when he'll be confortable with his team. He'll then begin loosing up on the defensive side of it, will not backcheck as hard and will only think of making the 2nd line produce, which he'll succeed but might 'cause some defensive lapses as well. Or not and it was the Habs system the problem with him, system where he would've never fit and is fitting right at home in Dallas.

But right now, Stars win by far. Niniimaa while not used on PP, which is totally stupid based on the fact that Rivet is, doesn't play bad but still is a direct reason for some goals against. Ribeiro is the reason for the goals for.....

Again, not saying we should not have traded Ribeiro, I had enough of him, just thinking Niniimaa was not the right one, while he looks OK, on the base of who wins, it's a pretty easy decision right now. But we'll see.

Fair enough.. Ribeiro scored the game winner tonight as well, btw..

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote