HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part VII: The Continuing GDT for Draft Day

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

that would be sooooo dumb!

Old
07-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
that would be sooooo dumb!
It matters if he was training and keeping in shape. If he is conditioned(which one would assume since he is coming back) I would love it. I have been advocating this since last season. 1 year deal to come in here and give us an excellent 1-2 punch.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Quote:
It matters if he was training and keeping in shape. If he is conditioned(which one would assume since he is coming back) I would love it. I have been advocating this since last season. 1 year deal to come in here and give us an excellent 1-2 punch.
yeah, you're right. it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I dont think anyone would be upset about that. But I am very, very skeptical it happens
Well, then, let me into that exclusive club. No more quick, mega-million fixes for me!

Old
07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Not a fan of Tim Thomas at all, we just got rid of one locker room crazy goalie.

1 year at the most.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
healthyscratch

So what's he going to sign for? Is he even free from the Islanders? Do we have to acquire his rights as well? I need answers!!

Got one answer:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 18s

So, Tim Thomas will be UFA Friday like any other player on an expiring deal

Old
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

A Thomas/Mason tandem would make me happy.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Not a fan of Tim Thomas at all, we just got rid of one locker room crazy goalie.

1 year at the most.
I hate his politics, but apparently he's a very good guy on and off the ice and someone you'd like in the locker room.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I hate his politics, but apparently he's a very good guy on and off the ice and someone you'd like in the locker room.
I don't give a **** about his politics. I am only concerned with whether he can still perform an an elite level after taking a year off while he's approaching 40. Any word on whether he's been playing or if he's stayed in shape? What are his salary demands?

Old
07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
healthyscratch

Ek at it again:

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested...

While players cant sign deals until the 5th since Briere and Lecavalier have been bought out and are not owned by any NHL team they can agree to a deal and start negotiating (which they have) now. I expect we will know where these two players are signing very shortly..perhaps even in the next 24-72 hours. I am hearing Vinny will decide tomorrow or Wednesday. Some have said Briere's list will shorten over the next few days...

Old
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't give a **** about his politics. I am only concerned with whether he can still perform an an elite level after taking a year off while he's approaching 40. Any word on whether he's been playing or if he's stayed in shape? What are his salary demands?
I second this. It has nothing to do with any off-ice issues. It has to do with how a 40 year old man who is out of hockey for a year can "recover" from that absence. If it is a low cap hit one year deal, fine. Bring him in as backup and use him sparingly (hopefully). If he wants more than Mason and more than one year, let someone else experiment. Might work out great for someone else, or it might not.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Ewww @ a 5 or 6 year deal.

Give him 3 or 4.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Newsflash: It's highly unlikely that everyone in a given locker room has identical political views. It's just a non-factor. I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I second this. It has nothing to do with any off-ice issues. It has to do with how a 40 year old man who is out of hockey for a year can "recover" from that absence. If it is a low cap hit one year deal, fine. Bring him in as backup and use him sparingly (hopefully). If he wants more than Mason and more than one year, let someone else experiment. Might work out great for someone else, or it might not.
I was just responding to the "crazy" part of what I quoted.

But yeah, if he isn't fit enough, don't sign him. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Ek at it again:

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested...

While players cant sign deals until the 5th since Briere and Lecavalier have been bought out and are not owned by any NHL team they can agree to a deal and start negotiating (which they have) now. I expect we will know where these two players are signing very shortly..perhaps even in the next 24-72 hours. I am hearing Vinny will decide tomorrow or Wednesday. Some have said Briere's list will shorten over the next few days...
If he is signed for that long, I hope it's a very low cap (front loaded) and no NTC/NMC.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Do not want vinny at all. We need to develop schenn as our 2nd line center.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:23 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Well, then, let me into that exclusive club. No more quick, mega-million fixes for me!
To each his own but it would to be hard for me to turn down the opportunity to have a young core like this

Forwards:
Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton

Defense:
Pietrangelo
Schenn
Gus

Add in some vets like hartnell, talbot, Streit, and grossmann and we would have a very balanced team going forward.

Harntell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
XXX-Laughton-XXX
Talbot-XXX-Rinaldo

Gus-Pietrangelo
Streit-Schenn
Grossmann-XXX

We also have aome pretty good prospects in Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Flanagan, Straka etc.

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 07-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

I might be in the minority, but if Thomas really comes over, I will be so excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Newsflash: It's highly unlikely that everyone in a given locker room has identical political views. It's just a non-factor. I don't know why people keep bringing it up.
"Oh, so you're the guy who rejected to meet president Obama? Grrrrrr I think I hate you, I hate you with passion. Don't sit next to me."

Old
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
I might be in the minority, but if Thomas really comes over, I will be so excited.
Ill be curious.

I think this next season's first priority ( in terms of goaltending) is to give mason enough games to evaluate him as a future starting candidate.

If we sign Thomas he might be able to put together an excellent year which would help now but would not give us the opportunity to evaluate mason as a starter.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I like "curious." That sounds right. It would strike me as yet another goaltending experiment.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Damaged Goods

Dominik Hasek was a similarly spectacular goalie who elected to go in and out of the NHL at various times during his age 37-42 seasons. If Tim Thomas at 39 can replicate what Hasek did at ages 41 and 42 for Ottawa and Detroit, it would be a great catch for the Flyers. I don't make a Hasek comparison lightly, but Tim Thomas is in that class. From age 33-37, he posted all-time great numbers and was even better in the playoffs. Looking at our goaltending situation, I don't see how the Flyers could afford to turn their noses up at Tim Thomas (as many posters want to do). What if he has one more great playoff run left? His resume emphatically suggests that he is capable of it.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Dominik Hasek was a similarly spectacular goalie who elected to go in and out of the NHL at various times during his age 37-42 seasons. If Tim Thomas at 39 can replicate what Hasek did at ages 41 and 42 for Ottawa and Detroit, it would be a great catch for the Flyers. I don't make a Hasek comparison lightly, but Tim Thomas is in that class. From age 33-37, he posted all-time great numbers and was even better in the playoffs. Looking at our goaltending situation, I don't see how the Flyers could afford to turn their noses up at Tim Thomas (as many posters want to do). What if he has one more great playoff run left? His resume emphatically suggests that he is capable of it.
I mentioned this a few days ago, although I mentioned Hasek's later comebacks to "inferior" leagues - took a year off at 43 and then had very successful seasons at the age of 44 (CZE) and more importantly 45 (KHL). Obviously these leagues are worse than the NHL but then again, Thomas is 39, not 44.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
That would be ****ing beautiful. That means we have rumored interest going both ways.

Did everyone forget that Tim Thomas is a great goaltender and that his run from 2007 to 2012 was legendary? Or that his career playoff numbers are simply mind-boggling?

Perhaps all of that somehow evaporated in his year off... but clearly Tim Thomas thinks he still has something left. I would take him up on it.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Kris Newbury? why?

Old
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I would like to add that Thomas would likely be the only American in our locker next year (unless we acquire another one). I just don't see a bunch of Canadian's and Euro's emotionally connected to American affairs as much as Thomas or any other American would.

There's just as much people in this country that could care less about politics as there are who are gung-ho about them like Thomas.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Kris Newbury? why?
It gives younger guys more minutes with Syvert going.

Closed Thread