HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #75 - Pavel Buchnevich

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 01:53 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The problem isn't that we didn't go safe. No one is even really mentioning that. The problem is that we, yet again, didn't draft a big, tough forward. We continue to not draft those type of players and it continues to annoy the fanbase. I have no real problem taking guys that are boom or bust players. However, why do we have to take three skill boom or bust players? Why not take one big, mean boom or bust player as well?

I don't get the need to take three extremely similar guys in this third round.
Exactly this. I am not upset with THIS pick. I am upset they, for the umpteenth time, decided not to draft a big kid who can skate and drop the gloves. Why can every other organization draft those types?

Old
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Pizza

I've said it in the past and every draft day it appears that it needs to be said again:

Gordie Clark has forgotten more about hockey than ANY of us will ever know. If he thought this kid was good enough to pick than that is gospel to me....and should be to you. If you've got a lick of sense that is.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Foolish Samurai

Because we need skilled "boom or bust" guys just as much as we need tough guys.

There's no reason to dislike what appears to be a very talented player, since we definitely need that as well.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Pizza

Quote:
The problem isn't that we didn't go safe. No one is even really mentioning that. The problem is that we, yet again, didn't draft a big, tough forward. We continue to not draft those type of players and it continues to annoy the fanbase. I have no real problem taking guys that are boom or bust players. However, why do we have to take three skill boom or bust players? Why not take one big, mean boom or bust player as well?

I don't get the need to take three extremely similar guys in this third round.
I've often posted that we need to do exactly what you've stated above. It's true. We need bigger, tougher players....that can also play. No question on that. I'm glad to see so many people agreeing with that. Including a few whose opinions I really respect.

I just think Clarks job is to take the best three players here and he did what he thought was best.

The Rangers know they need the bigger, meaner guys or they would not have gotten Clowe. What do they do to address that need from here? I don't know. But it will be interesting

Old
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You can't keep swinging for the fences when you don't have a first or second round pick.
Sure you can especially when your team is loaded with depth and devoid of top end talent. Besides we used our 1st on rick nash. We unfortunately pissed away our 2nd

Old
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Exactly this. I am not upset with THIS pick. I am upset they, for the umpteenth time, decided not to draft a big kid who can skate and drop the gloves. Why can every other organization draft those types?
while ill agree we lack a big time monster forward prospect, we do not lack for power forward type players.

kreider, miller and fogarty all project to be that kind of player. andrew yogan if he can remain healthy can be that kinda of player as well.

we have those kinda guys in the organization now. throw in both mcilrath and noreau and we have a bunch of kids that play a tough, gritty brand of hockey.

what we lack/lacked is guys who can bring it on the scoreboard and/or create chances themselves. we lack pure offensive players. even our purely offensive speed type guys we have now are slightly undersized and/or have marginal hands. kreider is the only truly all around blue chip prospect we currently have.

all 3 of the picks we made in this years 3rd round directly address that organization hole. they all have some ways to go, but the skating and skills are definitely there.

i say good for gordie for seeing a need and addressing it.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Sure you can especially when your team is loaded with depth and devoid of top end talent. Besides we used our 1st on rick nash. We unfortunately pissed away our 2nd
I would argue the notion that this team is loaded with depth when they couldn't reach down for a fourth liner this season and had a revolving door of Haley, Mashinter, Ferreiro, Halpern, Rupp, Powe, etc...

07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I love these boom or bust picks. People want sure-fire depth players? Our whole ****ing prospect pool is sure-fire depth players.

Hagelin has made it, Kreider will make it, Miller will make it, Lindberg will make it, Fast will probably make it. Not a single one is gonna be a top offensive talent.
I have no problem if people think he won't develop but the complaints seem to be centered on a fantasy land assumption we never draft sure fire players when our roster is loaded with them... THAT is really annoying and set snowblind off for good reason and made me waste my time.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
I would argue the notion that this team is loaded with depth when they couldn't reach down for a fourth liner this season and had a revolving door of Haley, Mashinter, Ferreiro, Halpern, Rupp, Powe, etc...
We have TONS of NHL quality players who can play I think it's a matter of sticking them in the right places a little more often and I also think that it's not about our depth it's about this absolute void of top talent which sucks everyone up out of their position/line/role. So you want to argue lack of depth, fine but it should be lack of depth because the top is empty not the bottom imo. Stepan, Nash and who else really belongs at the top? Hagelin can play a good role on a line with other top players but he isn't a 1st line talent or player he's a good complimentary piece though. BR fell off a cliff, MZA is hopefully developing more and more but when someone like him is playing you MUST have the right type of linemates with him. CK is hopefully developing. Potential is there for our top but no definitive top talents. Tons of people for the 2nd and 3rd lines though

Old
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
slipknottin

Anyone around 6' or bigger has no issue with size (provided they ever fill out their frame). The rangers have clearly been focusing in guys who are good/great skaters lately. Which is very clearly a need if you watch this team play.

Almost nobody on the team apart from Nash threatens a Dman one on one, get some guys with blazing speed and even if they aren't great with the puck, they can at least get the D in their heels a bit and maybe set something up on a D miscalculation or overreaction

Old
07-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while ill agree we lack a big time monster forward prospect, we do not lack for power forward type players.

kreider, miller and fogarty all project to be that kind of player. andrew yogan if he can remain healthy can be that kinda of player as well.
None of those players are power forward prospects. The only one there could be Yogan. But I don't see him as playing the type of game we are talking about at all.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
None of those players are power forward prospects. The only one there could be Yogan. But I don't see him as playing the type of game we are talking about at all.
How is Kreider not a power forward? Because he doesn't fight?

Old
07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Anyone around 6' or bigger has no issue with size (provided they ever fill out their frame). The rangers have clearly been focusing in guys who are good/great skaters lately. Which is very clearly a need if you watch this team play.

Almost nobody on the team apart from Nash threatens a Dman one on one, get some guys with blazing speed and even if they aren't great with the puck, they can at least get the D in their heels a bit and maybe set something up on a D miscalculation or overreaction
Kreider? Hagelin? Callahan? They all have very good speed.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Quote:
This has been discussed numerous times on this site. Players like Kreider, Pacioretty, Vanek, etc are power forwards. So are Lucic, Clowe and Kassian. There really should be a different name for one of those types.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Kreider? Hagelin? Callahan? They all have very good speed.
Callahan is not fast. He has excellent timing. And he has great short area quickness.

Hags does threaten teams, kreider did on the playoffs last season, but never really seemed to have the puck during the regular season this year.

But either way, they need more guys who can skate. Especially the bottom 6 which had almost no ability to skate at all. When Boyle is the best skater in the bottom 6 you need to find some better skaters

Old
07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I choose not to associate with co-workers who constantly complain. And I've never said the team is the worst thing in the world. But the incompetence of this current regime is something that can't be ignored. If that ruins your reading experience, so be it.
I wasn't even talking about you. And no matter what this team does it's "incompetent". Bleeding Blue or whatever his name is conveniently *****es about the skill level or depth whenever it's convenient for him to prove how incompetent the team is. The team has made the 2nd round 2 straight years (one of only 2 team in the NHL) and made the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years. No they haven't won a cup but the way some post (including this post), you'd think the Rangers have been the Oilers. A bunch of entitled people on this board.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Quote:
How is he a power forward? To me, he's a big forward who occasionally uses his size when he should use it a hell of a lot more. I don't see anything imposing in Kreider and I don't see him using his size to his advantage often. In fact, I don't even think he realizes just how damn big he is. Perhaps he can grow into the role, but as of right now he's just a big, fast kid.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I wasn't even talking about you. And no matter what this team does it's "incompetent". Bleeding Blue or whatever his name is conveniently *****es about the skill level or depth whenever it's convenient for him to prove how incompetent the team is. The team has made the 2nd round 2 straight years (one of only 2 team in the NHL) and made the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years. No they haven't won a cup but the way some post (including this post), you'd think the Rangers have been the Oilers. A bunch of entitled people on this board.
Entitled? I don't think any Ranger fan can be categorized as being entitled. The team doesn't win enough to be entitled. Asking for competent management is not the same as acting entitled. The current regime has had 13 years and the team is still extremely flawed.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Callahan is not fast. He has excellent timing. And he has great short area quickness.

Hags does threaten teams, kreider did on the playoffs last season, but never really seemed to have the puck during the regular season this year.

But either way, they need more guys who can skate. Especially the bottom 6 which had almost no ability to skate at all. When Boyle is the best skater in the bottom 6 you need to find some better skaters
Callahan has excellent speed. That's not debatable.

Quote:
How is he a power forward? To me, he's a big forward who occasionally uses his size when he should use it a hell of a lot more. I don't see anything imposing in Kreider and I don't see him using his size to his advantage often. In fact, I don't even think he realizes just how damn big he is. Perhaps he can grow into the role, but as of right now he's just a big, fast kid.
Kreider is easily a power forward. When he is on his game, he is actually quite a pain to play against. Again, it's consistency.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Antithesis
Eye Test Dinosaur

Kreider can aspire to become a Chimera or a Grabner. Frankly, I'd rather he be a Grabner but it's up to him and the coach.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Well he certainly is still thinking too much when he plays and is/was worried about where to be positionally and such things, but when he is going he is absolutely a power forward in every sense of the term.

Just watch him in the Boston series after he got going, he smashed Chara, and ran over another D (don't remember who) twice on the same shift.

It's just a mental thing for him, have a head coach who gives him a bit more freedom and you might see him blossom.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Callahan has excellent speed. That's not debatable.
Hags and Kreider have excellent speed. Callahan does not. He's a good skater, but not special. Short area quickness and timing are where he is special

Old
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Quote:
Kreider is easily a power forward. When he is on his game, he is actually quite a pain to play against. Again, it's consistency.
That to me has no bearing on whether he's a powerforward. His game isn't really based on puck protection like a typical powerforward and he's too easily knocked off the puck. I really view him as a large, fast sniper. He is actually brutal in front of the net. He was improperly used that way during the WJCs and it went so poorly.

He's at his best when he's skating around and freewheeling. I really don't see the PF aspect of his game at all.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Well he certainly is still thinking too much when he plays and is/was worried about where to be positionally and such things, but when he is going he is absolutely a power forward in every sense of the term.

Just watch him in the Boston series after he got going, he smashed Chara, and ran over another D (don't remember who) twice on the same shift.

It's just a mental thing for him, have a head coach who gives him a bit more freedom and you might see him blossom.
Just because he hits doesn't make him a powerforward. Callahan hits and I don't consider him one.

I just think that Kreider is a large, fast sniper.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Imagine if we had competent management to go along with that legendary goaltender.

You're out to lunch on the topic -- If you want someone to blow sunshine up your ass, I suggest you dont read my posts.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

Quote:
jon.

i generally agree with most of what you say. i usually find you pretty well informed.

this time, you are flat out incorrect. i guess its a matter of semantics. power forward, i guess, can have many definitions.

those 3 i mentioned most definitely are power forward type players.

the kassian/biggs type player, although easy to fall in love with, generally does best in a bottom 6 role. the thought of a guy who can fight and grind and score goals all at the same time is rare, to say the least.

Closed Thread