HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 NHL Draft - Pick #75 - Pavel Buchnevich

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
slipknottin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Just because he hits doesn't make him a powerforward. Callahan hits and I don't consider him one.

I just think that Kreider is a large, fast sniper.
Callahan isn't a power forward because hes 5'11 and can be out muscled by most defenders. Kreider is bigger than most guys he plays against. He is still developing, but he does show in spurts how physical and strong he is along the boards, and how powerful his lower body is especially

Old
07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

power forward. generally speaking, would be atleast 6'2 and 200 + lbs.

a guy who can use his size to:

physically impose his will on opposing players (not necessarily fighting)
protect the puck
work in dirty areas
score goals near the net
create down low matchup problems with smaller defenders

if you apply that set of criteria i believe that we have a number of prospects who would fit that mold.

krieder has elite wheels which makes him a very unique talent and the only true multi skill blue chipper we currently have.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
power forward. generally speaking, would be atleast 6'2 and 200 + lbs.

a guy who can use his size to:

physically impose his will on opposing players (not necessarily fighting)
protect the puck
work in dirty areas
score goals near the net
create down low matchup problems with smaller defenders

if you apply that set of criteria i believe that we have a number of prospects who would fit that mold.

krieder has elite wheels which makes him a very unique talent and the only true multi skill blue chipper we currently have.
I think what Jon and some other folks are getting at is that the Rangers scare no one. Not with their offense or the more physical aspects of the game.

The best teams almost always have a good blend of both.

Bottom line is that I think all us of want a team that can score and beat you in the alley should that become necessary.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:54 PM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think what Jon and some other folks are getting at is that the Rangers scare no one. Not with their offense or the more physical aspects of the game.

Bottom line is that I think all us of want a team that can score and beat you in the alley should that become necessary.
well, in maybe 2 years, we may feature both mcilrath and noreau and the "scare factor" should go up exponentially. that should put an end to anyone not respecting us.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
slipknottin

Quote:

Well I think all of us would love a team of Lucic's. But how many of those guys are there in the league? It's not that you can just bash the rangers for not drafting them when there aren't any

Old
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well, in maybe 2 years, we may feature both mcilrath and noreau and the "scare factor" should go up exponentially. that should put an end to anyone not respecting us.
Agreed. Steps in the right direction. This team needs some forwards that do the same thing, imo....

Old
07-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Well I think all of us would love a team of Lucic's. But how many of those guys are there in the league? It's not that you can just bash the rangers for not drafting them when there aren't any
...they are rarer than big foot. I get that. But they are out there. And I'm not bashing. I think Gordie does one heck of a good job. We took a good shot with Clowe, but true to typical Rangers luck, he is now damaged goods.

Go out and get another one guys.

Foligno - Sabes

Matthias - Cats

Coyle - Wild

Are players in the mold I'm looking for. This team is too small up front as of today.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
...they are rarer than big foot. I get that. But they are out there. And I'm not bashing. I think Gordie does one heck of a good job. We took a good shot with Clowe, but true to typical Rangers luck, he is now damaged goods.

Go out and get another one guys.

Foligno - Sabes

Matthias - Cats

Coyle - Wild

Are players in the mold I'm looking for. This team is too small up front as of today.
It's not like they aren't trying. Yogan's a big guy. Fogarty has a good combination of size and skill as well. And we just drafted Tambellini. You'd like to figure that one guy matures and eventually fills that kind of role (maybe two if we're lucky).

Unfortunately there's just no quick, foolproof way to get the desired player (along with many others). Downside to trying to draft them is that they take a while to develop and might not pan out. We all know the downsides to going through free agency. You can try to trade for one, but it's going to cost serious assets. Sucks, but it's part of the puzzle of trying to put together a Stanley Cup winning team.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Imagine if we had competent management to go along with that legendary goaltender.

You're out to lunch on the topic -- If you want someone to blow sunshine up your ass, I suggest you dont read my posts.
So not whining about the Rangers is blowing sunshine up my ass? Lundqvist is just one player in a league where goaltending is becoming less and less important. I know that it's easier to pretend that he walks on water for someome that thinks our team and management are Oilers quality but that's a bit of a reach.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Complaining about management and hating/rooting against the team aren't the same thing.
Exactly. There is a major difference between the two. It can't be stated enough.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
DudMan28

I keep hearing about the "Russian factor". Does that basically mean there is a chance this kid will want to stay in the KHL for life?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Exactly. There is a major difference between the two. It can't be stated enough.
As an eternal pessimist, I don't think there is. Pessmists don't like it when something positive happens. Makes them uncomfortable. I mean, if the Rangers win the cup, next season the usual suspects will be saying that year was a fluke and the Rangers won't be that great next year. No one is consciously rooting against the Rangers, but you get off from *****ing about them.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
I keep hearing about the "Russian factor". Does that basically mean there is a chance this kid will want to stay in the KHL for life?
these days that is the assumed risk with pretty much all russians. he has 2 years left on his khl deal, the rangers hope that if he develops they can convince him to come over but its possible at that point he'd make more in the khl than an ELC in the nhl

Old
07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
As an eternal pessimist, I don't think there is. Pessmists don't like it when something positive happens. Makes them uncomfortable. I mean, if the Rangers win the cup, next season the usual suspects will be saying that year was a fluke and the Rangers won't be that great next year. No one is consciously rooting against the Rangers, but you get off from *****ing about them.
Maybe for you. They are complete opposites IMO. You can hate on management, but still root for the team. Have you been to Chicago, there are many diehard, insufferable cubs fans that still rooted for the team even when hating management.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
It's not like they aren't trying. Yogan's a big guy. Fogarty has a good combination of size and skill as well. And we just drafted Tambellini. You'd like to figure that one guy matures and eventually fills that kind of role (maybe two if we're lucky).

Unfortunately there's just no quick, foolproof way to get the desired player (along with many others). Downside to trying to draft them is that they take a while to develop and might not pan out. We all know the downsides to going through free agency. You can try to trade for one, but it's going to cost serious assets. Sucks, but it's part of the puzzle of trying to put together a Stanley Cup winning team.
Yogan maybe fills the bill.

Fogarty and Tambellini are not those kind of players from what I've read/heard.

I'm in agreement with those that say we need to draft bigger, meaner players that can actually play. I do think that with only three picks the options were extremely limited in this draft. Your better off opting for skill that has a decent shot at making it.

That said I have a question for Jon.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think it's impossible to truly hate the pick either way. The Rangers are swinging for the fences and I give them credit there. I just would have preferred us to go with one big, mean player in the 3rd round who can play. I'd of preferred two of the skill guys and one big, mean forward.
Your way better at this than me bro. Give me some names of guys we passed on there.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm of the opinion that this will be one of the more interesting drafts to look back on as time goes by.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Maybe for you. They are complete opposites IMO. You can hate on management, but still root for the team. Have you been to Chicago, there are many diehard, insufferable cubs fans that still rooted for the team even when hating management.
If we were the Oilers, I'd agree you can be both. When you're one of a handful of teams to make the playoffs all but one year since the lockout, and all you do is ***** in every thread about how much the Rangers suck, then you just like being miserable.

The Cubs, in addition to an over 100 year championship drought that's twice as long as the one we had, have made the playoffs twice in the last 8 years, we've done it 7 times.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
If we were the Oilers, I'd agree you can be both. When you're one of a handful of teams to make the playoffs all but one year since the lockout, and all you do is ***** in every thread about how much the Rangers suck, then you just like being miserable.

The Cubs, in addition to an over 100 year championship drought that's twice as long as the one we had, have made the playoffs twice in the last 8 years, we've done it 7 times.
Well I can tell you for a fact that I do not like being miserable. Perhaps it could be because I've cheered for largely successful teams in other sports.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

The Cubs don't play in a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't.

07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Well I can tell you for a fact that I do not like being miserable. Perhaps it could be because I've cheered for largely successful teams in other sports.
Well I'm a Giants fan that laughs at Jets fans that flaunt their 2 AFC championship losses BUT, you don't have to brag, you can understand, no we're not a premium franchise but we're also not some garbage that you and others have portrayed us to be.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Well I'm a Giants fan that laughs at Jets fans that flaunt their 2 AFC championship losses BUT, you don't have to brag, you can understand, no we're not a premium franchise but we're also not some garbage that you and others have portrayed us to be.
And the Giants are the perfect example of a team with competent management. A great reason why I have not spent a penny on the Rangers since the first lockout but without fail renew my Giants season tickets and parking passes.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
And the Giants are the perfect example of a team with competent management.
And even then there are people that ***** about every single draft pick made.

Look, there are genuine qualms with Sather and if people want to have educated disagreements with certain moves and whatnot then that's fair. But I think it's also fair to say that there's a certain contingency in every fan base (ours no exception) that likes to ***** and moan for the sake of *****ing and moaning and will find any justification that allows them to do so.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
The Cubs don't play in a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't.
Since the last time the Cubs made the playoffs (4 and a half seasons) the Cubs are 75 games under .500. I don't think shootouts and loser points bump our record so much to make the Cubs catch up.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
And even then there are people that ***** about every single draft pick made.

Look, there are genuine qualms with Sather and if people want to have educated disagreements with certain moves and whatnot then that's fair. But I think it's also fair to say that there's a certain contingency in every fan base (ours no exception) that likes to ***** and moan for the sake of *****ing and moaning and will find any justification that allows them to do so.
Maybe. Reese has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Since the last time the Cubs made the playoffs (4 and a half seasons) the Cubs are 75 games under .500. I don't think shootouts and loser points bump our record so much to make the Cubs catch up.
That's my point. The two leagues/teams aren't comparable.

Closed Thread