HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer '13 Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Minnesota can't buy him out because he's hurt. Had shoulder surgery. I guess I don't notice a drop off when I watch the Wild. He still seems dangerous. If he's not a fit then I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to throw some names around that have been offensive producers. With Heatley, he was still an 80+ point guy less than 2 seasons ago.
90% of that was because of Jumbo Joe. Remember Cheechoo won the rocket because of him

Old
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Minnesota can't buy him out because he's hurt. Had shoulder surgery. I guess I don't notice a drop off when I watch the Wild. He still seems dangerous. If he's not a fit then I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to throw some names around that have been offensive producers. With Heatley, he was still an 80+ point guy less than 2 seasons ago.
If there is nothing else on the table he's not a ball fall back if the Wild are giving him away. Last year of the contract and he'll score 25 goals for us.

He should be ready to go to start the season.

I'm not a big Heatley fan, but when he's going he's still a handful for opposing teams and he's in the last year of his contract. He'd be a stop gap that might pay off big time or just be secondary scoring threat. The latter isn't worth 7.5, but if you have the cap space and are allowed to use it there are worse options.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
90% of that was because of Jumbo Joe. Remember Cheechoo won the rocket because of him
He was 1 goal in two different seasons of going 5 seasons in a row with 40+ goals. He's had a drop off, that isn't surprising, but to lay that season at someone else's feet is just revisionist history in attempt to support your position.

And before you say anything, I am the furthest thing from a Heatley fan. However, for a one year stop gap he's depth that can score you 25 goals. I would rather go in another direction, as would the front office, but if you can get him for a conditional 7th, or something, there are worse options if there isn't anything else available. He's better than a couple other names going around.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
I agree with blahblah.

Heater has slowed down, shot isn't as accurate but he actually plays manageable D and can score 20+ goals. But I'm not sure if the Wild are giving up on him for cheap. Interesting to see how they sort out those cap issues.

I wouldn't give anything valuable for Heater but like C level prospect or mid pick and I'm all for it. Just doubt that gets it done.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Quote:
He's a possibility, but is he worth the reported 6 year, 36M he's after? He has a hard time staying healthy. If he does stay healthy, he immediately becomes our top line LW.

I think that the Jackets are going to be a cap team this year, because all the rumors are the cap will go back up to 70-75M in '14-'15. If they sign Horton, I think it means either that Vinny is back or someone is going to get traded to make room for another top scorer. Umberger?

I'm almost amazed at how you seem to work in an Umberger trade/buyout with almost every post.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
I'm almost amazed at how you seem to work in an Umberger trade/buyout with almost every post.
Albatross contracts tend to bring that out in me. If there is one player on this team that is horribly overpaid, it is R.J. He tends to get a pass for his underperformance. This is nothing personal against him, I just think that money could be spent on improving this club for a playoff run.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Albatross contracts tend to bring that out in me. If there is one player on this team that is horribly overpaid, it is R.J. He tends to get a pass for his underperformance. This is nothing personal against him, I just think that money could be spent on improving this club for a playoff run.
Really?

Old
07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
stevo61

Wonder if I'd be the only ecstatic one if Zherdev made his way back to Columbus...

Old
07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Really?
Your right, he's gotten it pretty good over the past season. Regardless, the point is he's overpaid and his contract is now awful.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
Wonder if I'd be the only ecstatic one if Zherdev made his way back to Columbus...
Well, maybe you and IHeartZherdev! If Nik came back to North American with all his talent intact and his head on straight, he'd help anyone. My guess, though, is that ship sailed long ago.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
But let's not count the 12M the organization would have to pay him over the next 8 years to not play.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
But let's not count the 12M the organization would have to pay him over the next 8 years to not play.
I wouldn't buy him out. If you can't trade him, then I guess your stuck with him.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I wouldn't buy him out. If you can't trade him, then I guess your stuck with him.
And you can't trade him until he plays better, and once he plays better you're probably not going to want to trade him.

So best case scenario: he gets it in gear and becomes that player again that he once was.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Roadman
Moving On

After Bob deal, if you use McElhinney's 600K as the back up cap hit, the CBJ are left with 8.99M of cap space with 7 D and 11 forwards.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Jimmys7

Quote:
RJ also has a NTC in his deal for this season and a modified NTC for the next 2 years. I don't know the specifics of the modified NTC though.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And you can't trade him until he plays better, and once he plays better you're probably not going to want to trade him.

So best case scenario: he gets it in gear and becomes that player again that he once was.
My point exactly. My whole question has been "Who is this magical/foolish team that's beating down the door for Umby this year?" Guy had a bad start to the year, as did others. His scoring was pretty hit or miss and I thought his play vastly improved toward the end of the year, but it seems like the kneejerk reaction has basically been "Umby sucks we HAVE to get rid of him"

Old
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys7 View Post
RJ also has a NTC in his deal for this season and a modified NTC for the next 2 years. I don't know the specifics of the modified NTC though.
These are worth the paper they're written on. Once a player feels that a team no longer wants them, they waive. If they found a suitor, I don't think this would be a problem.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
My point exactly. My whole question has been "Who is this magical/foolish team that's beating down the door for Umby this year?" Guy had a bad start to the year, as did others. His scoring was pretty hit or miss and I thought his play vastly improved toward the end of the year, but it seems like the kneejerk reaction has basically been "Umby sucks we HAVE to get rid of him"
Umby sucks, we have to get rid of him if we want to get better.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:02 PM
EspenK

Draft is over. Bob signed. Some happy. Some not. Time to move on.

Short of a trade which we can conjure up from now until the start of the season free agency presents some definite choices.

From looking at the list on CapGeek, I see little sure fire help. Some guys could help but are too old or would cost too much or both.

Couple guys I think would warrant a look are:

Damian Brunner Affordable,young and a potential 20+ goal scorer

Michael Ryder - always liked him and at 33 not that old but could want too much -

And then there are the usual suspects in Stallberg, Mason Raymond, Clarkson and your personal favorite(s)

May be better to stay with what we know with Vinny & Comeau with Jenner if he makes it.

Thoughts?

Old
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
thebus2288

Just coming in here to say the same things. RJ was terrible last year and I will go as far to say he was the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Obviously coaches are the ones putting him on the ice, but for gods sake when your out there do something, make a SMART play. He's our highest paid forward after Gaborik and the longest signed. Makes more than both Tyutin and Johnson. The kicker is that when he's on the ice he doesn't make a single CBJ line any better if not WORSE. The contract is going to look/be worse every year from now on. I don't know the role he really plays in the room or how the guys feel about him personally, but 1 thing is for certain. They know when he plays like ****, when he hurts the team. And it happened far to often last year, in all aspects. There are guys on this team that most definitely have some sort of issue with the ice time and favorable line matchups he gets, by feeling they (or somebody else) can help the team more in his spot. JK n JD say they will do anything they can to improve the club. At this point I honestly feel, at a 4.5 cap hit, there's nothing RJ Umberger can do to improve this team by being on the roster next year. You do?? How about 4 more years!?!?!

Old
07-01-2013, 06:44 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If there is nothing else on the table he's not a ball fall back if the Wild are giving him away. Last year of the contract and he'll score 25 goals for us.

He should be ready to go to start the season.

I'm not a big Heatley fan, but when he's going he's still a handful for opposing teams and he's in the last year of his contract. He'd be a stop gap that might pay off big time or just be secondary scoring threat. The latter isn't worth 7.5, but if you have the cap space and are allowed to use it there are worse options.
I basically think of the current version of Dany Heatley as a Vinny Prospal with a bad attitude. We should pay to not have him on the roster.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post
Just coming in here to say the same things. RJ was terrible last year and I will go as far to say he was the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Obviously coaches are the ones putting him on the ice, but for gods sake when your out there do something, make a SMART play. He's our highest paid forward after Gaborik and the longest signed. Makes more than both Tyutin and Johnson. The kicker is that when he's on the ice he doesn't make a single CBJ line any better if not WORSE. The contract is going to look/be worse every year from now on. I don't know the role he really plays in the room or how the guys feel about him personally, but 1 thing is for certain. They know when he plays like ****, when he hurts the team. And it happened far to often last year, in all aspects. There are guys on this team that most definitely have some sort of issue with the ice time and favorable line matchups he gets, by feeling they (or somebody else) can help the team more in his spot. JK n JD say they will do anything they can to improve the club. At this point I honestly feel, at a 4.5 cap hit, there's nothing RJ Umberger can do to improve this team by being on the roster next year. You do?? How about 4 more years!?!?!
1) He did get way too much ice time. Led the forwards in ice time.

2) He did not get favorable matchups, although too much PP. Was on the shutdown line for much of the year, and lots of PK.

3) When you miss the playoffs by a tie-breaker, every screw up all year long, every post, every blown call could be "the reason we missed the playoffs". Take your pick.

4) It doesn't help us to pay him for 8 more years to play for someone else, so it's on us to wait and see how he plays this coming year. If it really is a fitness issue, as so many think it is, then he's got a full summer to work on it. There's another amnesty buyout window next summer. If there is a buyout, it will be then.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Draft is over. Bob signed. Some happy. Some not. Time to move on.

Short of a trade which we can conjure up from now until the start of the season free agency presents some definite choices.

From looking at the list on CapGeek, I see little sure fire help. Some guys could help but are too old or would cost too much or both.

Couple guys I think would warrant a look are:

Damian Brunner Affordable,young and a potential 20+ goal scorer

Michael Ryder - always liked him and at 33 not that old but could want too much -

And then there are the usual suspects in Stallberg, Mason Raymond, Clarkson and your personal favorite(s)

May be better to stay with what we know with Vinny & Comeau with Jenner if he makes it.

Thoughts?
I want us to stick with the guys we know, like Comeau and Prospal. The chemistry is good, and these guys are fighting for each other.

The only exception is guys who really can significantly up our scoring. Brunner and Ryder are both potential improvements. I'm even more interested in a guy like Lecavalier, and I'd offer something like 2 years $12 million to get him.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I want us to stick with the guys we know, like Comeau and Prospal. The chemistry is good, and these guys are fighting for each other.

The only exception is guys who really can significantly up our scoring. Brunner and Ryder are both potential improvements. I'm even more interested in a guy like Lecavalier, and I'd offer something like 2 years $12 million to get him.
While Lecavalier would be great, I don't think the Jackets will make his short list.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
major major

Quote:
While Lecavalier would be great, I don't think the Jackets will make his short list.
Why? Columbus ain't Anchorage. And our team was way better than his last team.

Closed Thread