HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #101
shifting
Registered User
 
shifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Yea they don't care about winning at all. Let's be serious here, there is not a single quality player that is not interested in championships. We all know what VL's contract looked like right? Even if he wants to milk it for all that he can, why would he not want to win? We have cap space, we are led to believe that the owners are willing to spend, what can any other team realistically offer him that we can't? The cap is dropping and we are one of the few true contenders that can still add salary. Talk about a perfect opportunity to fill the biggest hole in an already stacked roster. And we give up zero assets to do so. I like our chances. I'm really only concerned about Montreal and Washington.
I agree with you on a lot of what you say, but it is my belief that when it comes down to Detroit, Washington or St Louis, Free Agents would pick the Blues last most of the time.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
  #102
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I agree with you on a lot of what you say, but it is my belief that when it comes down to Detroit, Washington or St Louis, Free Agents would pick the Blues last most of the time.
Depends on how much worth they give to someone like Al MacInnis.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
  #103
shifting
Registered User
 
shifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
I know it's Eklund but:

"On Vinny Lecavalier..

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested..."

Nobody that would go to Philly or the Stars give's two ***** about contending.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...4#.UdHxCfnkund

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
  #104
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Vinny will be looking for the perfect situation, doubt money will be much of a deciding point.
I feel this way as well. He'll be getting a ton of money to not play for Tampa over the next 10-14 years or so. Money shouldn't be the deciding factor.

On the Blues, Vinny would be the #1 center on a contender. He'll have a chance to play with several quality wingers that are capable of putting up 50+ points. He'd be, perhaps, the biggest star attraction on the team but he'd be in a fan and media friendly environment.

One thing is for sure, Vinny would be a great addition for us among the available centers. His style of play and size makes him ideal for Hitchcock's system. I'm sure Hitch wants Vinny in the worst way.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
  #105
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I know it's Eklund but:

"On Vinny Lecavalier..

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested..."

Nobody that would go to Philly or the Stars give's two ***** about contending.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...4#.UdHxCfnkund
You could also read that as he's decided on the Red Wings and is using the other two names as a bit of negotiation leverage until they agree on a deal.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
  #106
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I agree with you on a lot of what you say, but it is my belief that when it comes down to Detroit, Washington or St Louis, Free Agents would pick the Blues last most of the time.
If I were to be a full-on cynical individual I would note I would agree that if Vinny's goal is to win another cup then signing with the Blues is likely the worst thing he can do.

But, I am trying to not hold on to that particular mindset and go a bit more Pollyanna...and thus will poke holes in your argument instead.

First of all, I would hope that any top tier free agent (which Vinny qualifies as) would thoroughly investigate any team before deciding to include/exclude and ultimately sign with them.

Does Vinny want the media spotlight?
Does Vinny believe he needs to play #1 center?
Is Vinny willing to play in a more defensive system with the realization that his points might go down and not having any sort of guarantee that he wins another cup? (in particular if he signs with the Blues?...sorry, sorry I'm trying, I really am)
Are the wingers on the Blues satisfactory to Vinny's playing style?
Is the coach a good mesh?
Will the team do whatever is needed?
Will the team give Vinny the contract he wants or as close to is as possible? A consideration if Helene St. James is correct with Detroit since they are supposedly only offering 2 years.


And you are reducing the entire thing to a mere "Impact Free Agents don't like St. Louis" as the whole of your argument?
Some simplification can help to clear things up, but this seems more than a bit too far.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  #107
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual
 
Multimoodia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Range
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
I know it's Eklund but:

"On Vinny Lecavalier..

Vinny has gone from wanting a short-term deal to a 5 or 6 year deal and it appears three teams are out front at this point... The Flyers are the favorites, but the Stars and Red Wings are also very interested..."

Nobody that would go to Philly or the Stars give's two ***** about contending.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...4#.UdHxCfnkund
One of those teams is not like the other.
If he wants to be "The Man" then he cannot play on either Philly or Detroit. The opposite is true of Dallas.
As you correctly note as well, Dallas and Philly are likely at least a few years from being deep contenders for the Stanley Cup. Detroit is more of a question mark regardless.

I just do not see any team besides Detroit being all that attractive for him.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  #108
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
I don't think we'll get him, but if we do, we're an instant cup contender.
.....if he is healthy during the playoffs.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:56 PM
  #109
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
If I were to be a full-on cynical individual I would note I would agree that if Vinny's goal is to win another cup then signing with the Blues is likely the worst thing he can do.

But, I am trying to not hold on to that particular mindset and go a bit more Pollyanna...and thus will poke holes in your argument instead.

First of all, I would hope that any top tier free agent (which Vinny qualifies as) would thoroughly investigate any team before deciding to include/exclude and ultimately sign with them.

Does Vinny want the media spotlight?
Does Vinny believe he needs to play #1 center?
Is Vinny willing to play in a more defensive system with the realization that his points might go down and not having any sort of guarantee that he wins another cup? (in particular if he signs with the Blues?...sorry, sorry I'm trying, I really am)
Are the wingers on the Blues satisfactory to Vinny's playing style?
Is the coach a good mesh?
Will the team do whatever is needed?
Will the team give Vinny the contract he wants or as close to is as possible? A consideration if Helene St. James is correct with Detroit since they are supposedly only offering 2 years.


And you are reducing the entire thing to a mere "Impact Free Agents don't like St. Louis" as the whole of your argument?
Some simplification can help to clear things up, but this seems more than a bit too far.
For a guy like Vinny, there might be aomeemphasis on the actual city, because he is concerned with the needs of his family.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
  #110
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
I think Army is waiting to see how this shakes out before moving forward accordingly.

Whether that means going after another free agent center (Weiss, Ribeiro...etc.) or making a trade (Pleckanec if he lands in MTL).

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
  #111
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
Strickland is saying that people close to Tampa think Vinny's skating is declining. If that's true, he should get no more than 2 years at 4 million per.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:56 PM
  #112
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
Apparently he is going to the Stars, so much for him wanting to play for a contender.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
  #113
The Note
Overrated
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
I know DAL has been one of the front runners but did something new happen? Last I saw the only news was DET is out.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
  #114
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
I know DAL has been one of the front runners but did something new happen? Last I saw the only news was DET is out.
Just some pretty strong reports.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
  #115
Edgar
Registered User
 
Edgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 50
There GM was pretty jacked up about how well the meeting went between them. I think that's why they are so strongly rumoured

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
  #116
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,797
vCash: 500
Well, if he's wanting 4+ years, I'd rather not sign him and go after someone younger.

Not a big deal of we miss out on him. If he wants to go to Dallas then have fun there, I don't think that's a good decision though.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
  #117
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Dreger and Ward reporting that Dallas is out.

That's encouraging as it means it's not all about term and money.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
  #118
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Wings beat writer saying DET is out as well.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
  #119
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Would be pumped to have him. Even if he wants four years, and we only get two solid years out of him before he starts to decline. We'd get that 70+ point center that we've wanted forever.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:00 PM
  #120
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
I guess we haven't been officially eliminated yet. I wouldn't give him more than 3 years.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
  #121
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,797
vCash: 500
Wow, Detroit, Montreal, Dallas all potentially out? This is getting interesting...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:26 PM
  #122
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
If he ain't going to Montreal he ain't going to Toronto. Boston has cap issues. Philly ain't close to a Cup. STL makes too much sense.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
  #123
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
If he does go to Philly, at least the offersheet talk can end.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  #124
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Uh oh, Flyers source says Philly got him. Mr. Flyer Eklund also has been hinting Philly was the front runner.

This might not be all bad. Philly has a crazy surplus of centers.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
  #125
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Uh oh, Flyers source says Philly got him. Mr. Flyer Eklund also has been hinting Philly was the front runner.

This might not be all bad. Philly has a crazy surplus of centers.
Couturier to St. Louis?

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.