HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

Old
07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
MonkeyBusiness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
eller is not very physical. de la rose is very physical.
Actually Eller is a pretty physical player, led all of the habs forwards in hits this season and really likes to finish his checks on the forecheck.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
ChoseLa

Eller wasn't that physical before this season though so i can understand why people don't see him as an overly physical player.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Eller wasn't that physical before this season though so i can understand why people don't see him as an overly physical player.
I agree, he gained weight during the offseason and was a different player. Really showed what he's capable of.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Character! He'll do well if one day he is able to make the squad. For a European guy his age to be answering interview questions like that is very impressive. That's what people often forget on these boards. Not only do we need to pick talent and size, but we will also need to pick players who can deal with s**tty over critical fans.

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Erik Estrada

I made it a point to watch lots of the top Swedes this year. I saw lots of Lindhom, Wennberg, DeLaRose. Much less of Burakowski....

Based on some reports on DLR questionning his upside, it made me in turn question the upside of Wennberg and Lindholm. I find the CHL players a lot easier to separate. Time will tell. He could become anything....

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

If DLR can play center, that will definitely increase his value. He's a comparable prospect to Gauthier IMO (if he can stick at center)

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Top Shelf Prospects like this pick. Jacob De La Rose was the 34th ranked prospect and therefore we believe it was the right pick for the Canadiens. Nice size and the kind of forward the Habs are looking for.

Full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-34/

Akipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If DLR can play center, that will definitely increase his value. He's a comparable prospect to Gauthier IMO (if he can stick at center)
He's not a great puck handler, he's much better off at the wing. I don't think he has played C in a long time.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
strutsboa

I really like this pick!

I watched plenty games with Leksand in 11/12 when I was scouting Filip Forsberg for the 2012 draft and quite often de la Rose was the most intriguing player of the two. I said back then that I really wanted de la Rose next year and honestly I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't blossomed more yet (offensively).

However there are some explanations that he hasn't produced more. Firstly, Leksand was stacked last year and they managed to be promoted to the SEL through qualification. Secondly, he has mostly played 3rd-4th line (3 games 1st line, 19 games 3rd line and 16 games 4th line).

I hope that he gets plenty of opportunities this year in the SEL.

Some interesting stats is that he only was on the ice for 8 goals against (he was +8) in those 38 games and 4 of his 6 goals actually became game-winners. Besides a game-misconduct he also only had 6 PIM's despite playing with an edge to his game.

Obviously there is still some questionmarks for de la Rose (like every prospect), but one thing is absolutely clear (in my mind). If de la Rose ever makes the Canadiens, everyone will love this kid!

For me it's a great pick at #34 and I have high hopes for him. Also fun to get another Swede to cheer for in the SEL and I will obviously try to watch as many games as possible.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's not a great puck handler, he's much better off at the wing. I don't think he has played C in a long time.
He played C at the 2012 U18s I remember, but sounds like he's viewed as a 2nd/3rd line LW.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I really like this pick!

I watched plenty games with Leksand in 11/12 when I was scouting Filip Forsberg for the 2012 draft and quite often de la Rose was the most intriguing player of the two. I said back then that I really wanted de la Rose next year and honestly I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't blossomed more yet (offensively).

However there are some explanations that he hasn't produced more. Firstly, Leksand was stacked last year and they managed to be promoted to the SEL through qualification. Secondly, he has mostly played 3rd-4th line (3 games 1st line, 19 games 3rd line and 16 games 4th line).

Some interesting stats is that he only was on the ice for 8 goals against (he was +8) in those 38 games and 4 of his 6 goals actually became game-winners. Besides a game-misconduct he also only had 6 PIM's despite playing with an edge to his game.

Obviously there is still some questionmarks for de la Rose (like every prospect), but one thing is absolutely clear (in my mind). If de la Rose ever makes the Canadiens, everyone will love this kid!

For me it's a great pick at #34 and I have high hopes for him. Also fun to get another Swede to cheer for in the SEL and I will obviously try to watch as many games as possible.

Interesting info, thanks! Looking forward to seeing how he does in the SEL next year and at the WJC's.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I really like this pick!
Great. Hoping to see tons of reports from you. As, for me, he is the pick I was more against mostly because of who was still there. I rarely saw any games where I was impressed by him and I preferred other players at that pick for sure. So, he can only surprise me from now on and make me eat some crow. We'll wait from your reports from now on!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I have the most hope in this pick.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:44 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

He seems to be a guy who will hit people to hurt.
Also not afraid to block shots.

Thanks for posting that video.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great. Hoping to see tons of reports from you. As, for me, he is the pick I was more against mostly because of who was still there. I rarely saw any games where I was impressed by him and I preferred other players at that pick for sure. So, he can only surprise me from now on and make me eat some crow. We'll wait from your reports from now on!
I'll do my best, but unfortunately I play sports myself and also are season ticket holder for another team, so I might not be able to watch as much as I would want...

I watch to little hockey from the North American skaters to know if Zykov, Compher, Dauphin, Santini, etc would have been better choices, but it's safe to say that I really like de la Rose.

I also think that if he would have played more on the 1st or 2nd line the points would have come and he would have been a first rounder. Wasn't there some talks a year ago about him possibly going mid 1st round?

The SEL will be tough next year (especially since Leksands is newcomers), so I wouldn't expect any offensive production from him next season. But if he gets the opportunity to play regulary on the 3rd-4th line in SEL and build on his sound 2-way game, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If some people are negative about this pick I think de la Rose will surprise quite a few of you!

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I have the most hope in this pick.
I fully agree. De la Rose has great potential and was extremely happy with the pick after the 'surprise' of MacCarron.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a mix of Zetterberg/J.Staal/Backes in him? In an interview, he said he's 6'2" 190, so if he can get up to 210 and improve offensively, I think he could be a steal. He's already got an elite defensive game and he loves to initiate contact. He has the potential, IMO, to be one hell of a player.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else see a mix of Zetterberg/J.Staal/Backes in him? In an interview, he said he's 6'2" 190, so if he can get up to 210 and improve offensively, I think he could be a steal. He's already got an elite defensive game and he loves to initiate contact. He has the potential, IMO, to be one hell of a player.
He reminds me a little of Backes. Not quite as nasty, but he has it in him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I'll do my best, but unfortunately I play sports myself and also are season ticket holder for another team, so I might not be able to watch as much as I would want...

I watch to little hockey from the North American skaters to know if Zykov, Compher, Dauphin, Santini, etc would have been better choices, but it's safe to say that I really like de la Rose.

I also think that if he would have played more on the 1st or 2nd line the points would have come and he would have been a first rounder. Wasn't there some talks a year ago about him possibly going mid 1st round?

The SEL will be tough next year (especially since Leksands is newcomers), so I wouldn't expect any offensive production from him next season. But if he gets the opportunity to play regulary on the 3rd-4th line in SEL and build on his sound 2-way game, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If some people are negative about this pick I think de la Rose will surprise quite a few of you!
Thanks again. You do as much as you can, that's the only thing we can ask from you. We also know there's like something called "life" so we won't be too furious if you skip 1 or 2 games...

As far as production for next year, well I know what to expect which is not a lot based on what you just said. Thing is you still have to hope that he shows some things offensively.

As far as being surprised...that's all I ask. I want us to have gotten a really good player. To make up for the ones I loved and didn'T get and who I'm pretty sold right now and think they will have decent careers.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Marc-E-

DLR will be a fan favorite and he's the type of guy who brings a lot to the table. He'll be a playoffs performer and a great character-nergy guy who plays on the edge. Great third liner with some upsides for spark plugging a second and an first line sometimes.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:21 PM
habsroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmartZing View Post
Erne, Zykov, Fucale, Lehkonen!
erne wasn't even picked in the second round by patrick roy his jr coach ...now that says something about him!!!!!!!!!

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I really like this pick!

Great report!

Whenever you can catch a can and give feedback it's much appreciated.

I'm already excited for the World Juniors.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
DLR will be a fan favorite and he's the type of guy who brings a lot to the table. He'll be a playoffs performer and a great character-nergy guy who plays on the edge. Great third liner with some upsides for spark plugging a second and an first line sometimes.
I just hate the question marks about his offensive upside. At the very least he needs to be a 20-30-50 guy.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
After watching a few videos. There is upside in this guy.

He's a engine on skates... he never stop. I value such intensity very much in a 18 years old kid.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just hate the question marks about his offensive upside. At the very least he needs to be a 20-30-50 guy.
The way I see it though, based on all his strength, there's no way he's available at 34 without those question marks.

- Big
- Fast
- Defensively Good
- Physical
- Leader
- Work Ethic on ice good
- 'Character'
- Good looks

If you mix in a consensus projection of 'has offensive skill to be a 50 point guy if he makes it' he's basically a stud that Habs fans will want to keep forever.

What's really intriguing is people see offensive upside in him. The disagreement is mostly how high that upside is...potential for him being a steal is there.

I'm off to research his shooting rate. Players who get pucks on net a lot tend to be good at producing points even if they don't have the highest skill level.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 07-01-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote