HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Back in Paul MacLean's days as a player, he would have played yesterday's game

Is this the Maclean in Diehard?

Old
05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
yianik

When it comes to concussions toughness has nothing to do with it. If you have the symptoms the last thing you want is the guy to cover them up in order to play.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:19 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomaLightDevils View Post
Why would i say something that was not true? Im not a Senator, Bruin or Maple Leafs fan
Thanks for the Eller update. Really appreciated from Habs fans here on HFboards.

BTW, watching the Can-Den game, as I write this, and I am really impressed with the Danish teams play.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Is this the Maclean in Diehard?
Nope, MacLean/McClane... but they both had more hair back then

Old
05-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain Saku

I want Lars to play on Sunday.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Probably not the right place but I don't understand how people can STILL say that was a clean hit on Eller?
When watching the video in slow motion (from behind the net), you clearly see Eller's head twisting before the shoulder moves. The head is clearly the point of contact. Even if the shoulder and head are hit at the same time, the head is still principle point of contact in my mind ..

And people calling it a "beauty of a hit" .... Even if Eller was not injured it wasn't much of a hit .. It looks nuts because Eller was unconscious from the hit.

People saying it'll turn into No Hitting League because of people getting suspended you still see plenty of great hits with no injury as a result.
This is the type of hit that will be polarizing until the NHL changes it's stance to completely disallow shots to the head, regardless of intent. Yes there will always be accidents that are unavoidable and there needs to be a vehicle for that but..... this was not an accident, the result was, but there is no doubt that Gryba read the play and made a predatory hit to a vulnerable player. Calling it a strong hockey play is only hiding from the truth. It was avoidable and unnecessary. To date players have not been truly held accountable for actions like these and have always been able to hide behind "hockey play", "I didn't know where I was on the ice", "he had his head down", "it's not my fault he's 5'7" and I'm 6'4" ... always excuses in an effort to gain a competitive edge. Let's take the excuses away and move towards making changes that allow the game to be fast and physical but disallow predatory hits.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
This is the type of hit that will be polarizing until the NHL changes it's stance to completely disallow shots to the head, regardless of intent. Yes there will always be accidents that are unavoidable and there needs to be a vehicle for that but..... this was not an accident, the result was, but there is no doubt that Gryba read the play and made a predatory hit to a vulnerable player. Calling it a strong hockey play is only hiding from the truth. It was avoidable and unnecessary. To date players have not been truly held accountable for actions like these and have always been able to hide behind "hockey play", "I didn't know where I was on the ice", "he had his head down", "it's not my fault he's 5'7" and I'm 6'4" ... always excuses in an effort to gain a competitive edge. Let's take the excuses away and move towards making changes that allow the game to be fast and physical but disallow predatory hits.
Excellent post. I agree 100%.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Human nature to blame the victim. We're always looking for reasons to excuse the horrendous actions of another individual because we don't want to believe that human beings have the capability to do something so harmful.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:52 AM
BomaLightDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Thanks for the Eller update. Really appreciated from Habs fans here on HFboards.

BTW, watching the Can-Den game, as I write this, and I am really impressed with the Danish teams play.
Thanks, and right back. The GDT´s are amazing in here.

On the Can-Den game, yes i do think we played a really good game, especially our "New" man on d Oliver Holten Lauridsen. He has played so well for Philly since being called up, another dane in the NHL, We keep coming into the league. The Canada game isent were we are going to get our points but like the way we came out push the play made some hits. At the end we ran out of air and the ref also made some questionable calls. Maybe with F. Nieslen (Islanders) Regin (Senators) Larsen (Stars) Hansen (Nucks) and offcourse our hometown hero Eller the results could have been different. But would rather have it like this with others getting some playoff exsperience.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:01 PM
HCH

Quote:
Very, very good post.

Your point about the predatory hit is particularly accurate. It describes that kind of play perfectly.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Good post. I'd add to it that the language in rule 48 is almost useless. Words like principal, which could mean many things, are never specified. It is never specified what "targeting the head" means, or how the disciplinary process would discern whether the head was "targeted" or not. Then it says a bunch of other things like whether the victim put himself in a vulnerable position will be considered.

Then when it comes time to apply the rule, there is a guise of specificity concealing a process which is essentially arbitrary. And surprise, surprise: this being the first time there was any consequence for a habs player getting brained, the world is up in arms.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomaLightDevils View Post
Thanks, and right back. The GDT´s are amazing in here.

On the Can-Den game, yes i do think we played a really good game, especially our "New" man on d Oliver Holten Lauridsen. He has played so well for Philly since being called up, another dane in the NHL, We keep coming into the league. The Canada game isent were we are going to get our points but like the way we came out push the play made some hits. At the end we ran out of air and the ref also made some questionable calls. Maybe with F. Nieslen (Islanders) Regin (Senators) Larsen (Stars) Hansen (Nucks) and offcourse our hometown hero Eller the results could have been different. But would rather have it like this with others getting some playoff exsperience.
You are forgetting Frederik Andersen from the Ducks as goalie which would be a tremendous leap forward. Larsen will step in tomorrow when we face our old brothers, Norway. And off course the two youngsters in NA, Oliver Bjorkstrand and Nicklas Jensen will also play in a few years. The future look brighter now as we soon have a whole team of NHL'ers to support our european skaters. As for Regin, I am not sure NHL is the right thing for him. Moving back to Sweden would be the right thing for him IMO.

Edit: Sorry for hi-jacking the Eller thread talking about other danish players.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Et le But

Our season went down with Eller.

Not that Eller is some kind of superstar, just that he had become an anchor of the team, and is like the only guy who can both skate around and through the opposition.

Oh well.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Not that Eller is some kind of superstar, just that he had become an anchor of the team, and is like the only guy who can both skate around and through the opposition.

Oh well.
2nd best centre on the team and the chemistry with Galchenyuk is undeniable. I think it's a different series if he's healthy.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
NLHabsFan

I look forward to Eller coming back next season with a chip on his shoulder and more maturity. I can see him still getting stronger. I believe he'll be a top 30 center next season, he has been constantly improving and really taking off the last part of the season.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Oh well.
Yup. It was a bad sign...like the beginning of a health jinx.
It snowballed after Eller's injury...Prust, Pacioretty, Gionta, White, and then...Price.

Can't win with so many injuries or very very hard to.
No excuses (just valid reasons!).

Old
05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Assuming he can rebound from the injury, and have a good year next year, I think he's the next captain.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I look forward to Eller coming back next season with a chip on his shoulder and more maturity. I can see him still getting stronger. I believe he'll be a top 30 center next season, he has been constantly improving and really taking off the last part of the season.
Bourque-Plekanec-UFA?/Gionta?
Pacioretty-Eller-UFA/DD?
Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Moen-White-UFA?/Armstrong

OR if you don't want to play DD at wing, it'll probably be the same thing:
Bourque-Plekanec-UFA?/Gionta?
Pacioretty-DD-UFA?
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-White-Prust

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-09-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Et le But

Saw this on twitter, so time to remind everyone:

Quote:
A reminder of how awesome Lars Eller is: 15th in the NHL among forwards in even strength points per 60 minutes played.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:56 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
If you like that, look at his PP production

Old
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:
The comeback will be something special...

Old
07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
And yet he's still underrated by the casual fans here in Montreal, easily the second best center in Montreal right now. The great part is that he's only going to get better.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I think how well his season will go will depend on the opportunities that Therrien gives him. If we want Eller to reach his potential he needs to be given a chance. And with DD slated as the second line center for next season (which I think is a given considering the contract extension) I don't think Eller will be given that chance.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
TroyM

I cannot wait to see Eller and Chuckie in real offensive roles. It just doesn't seem like it will happen quite yet if DD/Pleks are still here. I expect them to be. And I'm not really complaining, definitely not about Pleks. Perfect 2nd line C in my opinion. I just wish one of those guys was ready to jump right in.

I think they are both ready for #2 center duties but need some time to see who will excel, Chuckie being the obvious choice to take over #1. It does really look like DD is the odd man out and I am perplexed about the contract. I try really hard not to be a contrarian and trust the team especially with the new regime but man, how can DD fit on this team with Eller/Chuckie/Pleks clearly needing those 3 C slots and bringing more IMO to the table. I guess its not like hes making big money, I think its very tradeable though some disagree.

Just curious to see how this plays out, getting close to time to make a decision and not having someone like Eller stagnate.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Et le But

I'm fine with Galchenyuk spending another year on the wing. If he is a C, he shouldn't be given any big defensive minutes yet in that role.

Closed Thread