Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

scouting frederik gauthier

Old
06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

vCash: 500
scouting frederik gauthier

Ok, so the Leafs drafted Frederik Gauthier with the 21st pick, and since I live out west I haven't seen any gamjes of his. So I was wondering if anyone with experience watching Le Oceanic can tell me what his upside is? Thanks alot

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:09 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Big body, good skater, plays good in all three zones. Takes pride in his defensive play and is probably the best two-way forward in the 2013 NHL draft. Very high hockey IQ, hard worker on and off the ice and has a great attitude. Reminds a bit of Joe Colborne but he's better at the same age. IMO, he'll develop into a good 2nd/3rd line center. Scouts question his offensive upside at the next level.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Big body, good skater, plays good in all three zones. Takes pride in his defensive play and is probably the best two-way forward in the 2013 NHL draft. Very high hockey IQ, hard worker on and off the ice and has a great attitude. Reminds a bit of Joe Colborne but he's better at the same age. IMO, he'll develop into a good 2nd/3rd line center. Scouts question his offensive upside at the next level.
His skating is lightyears ahead of Colbourne's, fortunately. If he continues his offensive development, I can see him playing a similar role that Michal Handzus played during the playoffs.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Dgill

Quote:
He's exceptional in his two-way game but to dub him the best two-way of the draft is not right when you got guys such as Barkov.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
He's exceptional in his two-way game but to dub him the best two-way of the draft is not right when you got guys such as Barkov.
Pierre McGuire, Bob McKenzie and Dave Morrison are three people who mentioned that yesterday. I'd consider them very credible sources.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Pierre McGuire, Bob McKenzie and Dave Morrison are three people who mentioned that yesterday. I'd consider them very credible sources.
When was this?

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
When was this?
The McGuire was during the draft when he was picked. Bob McKenzie mentioned it during his pre draft analysis. Dave Morrisson said it in an interview, I think I can find the link to his..

There's also this from Chris Bordeleau..

"I've never seen a kid get back and play defence like he does in 20 years," said Chris Bordeleau of NHL Central Scouting. "In his own end, he's always around the puck. A kid that can play defence like he does at his age, with that kind of maturity, is very rare."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426693

Old
07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Leafs' Dave Morrisson..

“We're pretty comfortable that he should round out to a second-line centre top-end, but at least a third line guy that can be very responsible,” Nonis said of Gauthier, who remains a work in progress offensively, nonetheless totaling 22 goals in his first season with the Oceanic. “He's the type of player that you need to eat up minutes, a big-minute crunching centreman that right now we were lacking.”

Of those “indicators” which suggest NHL potential, Dave Morrison, the Leafs head scout, pointed to Gauthier's size, defensive savvy, and ability to process the game.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=426720

A hockey prospect scout also said:

"However, it is his defensive play that is his ticket to the NHL. He’s strong in the faceoff circle and is very effective on the penalty kill"

Last edited by WildcatMapleLeafs28: 07-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.