HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist; will he stay or go?

Old
06-28-2013, 10:46 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
On the other hand if the Rangers let Henrik go they'll be in a better position to sign MDZ for the money he deserves.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:45 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
If you're a fan of the team, and have been following Henrik for the past 7-8 years, you know how he feels toward the team itself, the city, his intentions are clear. For any of you to think otherwise simply means you haven't been paying close enough attention.

He himself has said it many, many times over the years. He wants to retire a New York Ranger, AND he's mentioned in countless interviews how New York is his true second home, and he will be making a life here even after his career is finished.

Sweden will always be his number one home, but he is settled here, and wants to raise his family here. He is the king of this city, and wants to win a cup HERE. Not anywhere else.

Oh, and I am coaching a goalie clinic with him again this year in August, so I will be sure to talk with him about it again and further cement his sentiment with you guys here.
Until Lundqvist signs on the bottom line everything you are saying is just white noise too me. Once he signs, for whatever amount he signs for he better deliver otherwise he is just going to be known as another over paid athelte who coldn't get it done in NY.

As far as i'm concerned the guy hasn't done anything note worthy in his career as a Ranger. Indvidual accomplishments aside, which mean nothing to me, but mean a lot to his own bottom line when it comes to contract talks. All that I care about is a Championship.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He absolutely will, especially if it benefits the team. He's not some pompous, ******* basketball or baseball player who is going to command to be paid the most, just because he is the best. He has all the money he will ever need ALREADY, now its just about winning and doing whats best to win HERE in New York.

He will paid handsomely and will be locked up for the rest of his career with this extension.
He hasn't taken a discount on any of his contracts to date.

It's a salary cap world, and if he truly wants to win, as a star player it's on him to settle for less than maximum. We'll only know for sure when/if a new contract is signed.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Until Lundqvist signs on the bottom line everything you are saying is just white noise too me. Once he signs, for whatever amount he signs for he better deliver otherwise he is just going to be known as another over paid athelte who coldn't get it done in NY.

As far as i'm concerned the guy hasn't done anything note worthy in his career as a Ranger. Indvidual accomplishments aside, which mean nothing to me, but mean a lot to his own bottom line when it comes to contract talks. All that I care about is a Championship.
Yeah, he's been quite pedestrian.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:43 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

Yeah, Lundqvist can't get it done in New York....

He carried us to the playoffs by himself in 2007-09, 2011 and 2013. Won us playoff series by himself. Took us to a conference final. What else do you want from him with garbage teams in front him? The only time we've had a great team in Lundqvist's time here was 2012 and that team played too grueling of a style to go further than they did.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, he's been quite pedestrian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Yeah, Lundqvist can't get it done in New York....

He carried us to the playoffs by himself in 2007-09, 2011 and 2013. Won us playoff series by himself. Took us to a conference final. What else do you want from him with garbage teams in front him? The only time we've had a great team in Lundqvist's time here was 2012 and that team played too grueling of a style to go further than they did.
I didn't say he hasn't been good. The indvidual accomplishments don't impress me enough to hold him up to this God like status that many on this board want to give him. Win a cup & that will change for me. OBviously we have a better chance of winning a Championship with him on this team. But the balance of keeping Lundvist on this team & being able to bring players in as we need them has to be addressed in his new contract. What good is it giving him a ton of money as he goes in to his late 30's & not be able to ice a team that is capable of winning a cup.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I didn't say he hasn't been good. The indvidual accomplishments don't impress me enough to hold him up to this God like status that many on this board want to give him. Win a cup & that will change for me. OBviously we have a better chance of winning a Championship with him on this team. But the balance of keeping Lundvist on this team & being able to bring players in as we need them has to be addressed in his new contract. What good is it giving him a ton of money as he goes in to his late 30's & not be able to ice a team that is capable of winning a cup.
Hank's salary, relative to his performance, will have very little impact on the team's ability to be successful for at least the next 5 or so years. He's a better value at 7M/season than just about any other player on the team. And the cap will no doubt go up. Paying him an extra 1M or so isn't going to be the reason they aren't capable of icing a team capable of winning a cup.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Legend23

Quote:

What more do you want the guy to do....score? He hasn't asked for a salary to this point that has hampered us filling the rest of the team. My goodness, he has been a Vezina finalist 5 of the 8 years he has been in the league and he has played well in the playoffs despite not winning a Cup yet. We have been offensively challenged since he got here.

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Kershaw

Yeah go win a cup and then he'll earn your respect. Wow. You do realize hockey is a team sport, right? The team in front of Lundqvist for the most part, has been garbage his entire career.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yeah go win a cup and then he'll earn your respect. Wow. You do realize hockey is a team sport, right? The team in front of Lundqvist for the most part, has been garbage his entire career.
Well for the amount of whining Hank has done during post games about not getting enough goal support at times makes me wonder if he needs to be reminded that this game is indeed a TEAM sport.

Shut up & stop the puck.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hank's salary, relative to his performance, will have very little impact on the team's ability to be successful for at least the next 5 or so years. He's a better value at 7M/season than just about any other player on the team. And the cap will no doubt go up. Paying him an extra 1M or so isn't going to be the reason they aren't capable of icing a team capable of winning a cup.
I think that's wishfull thinking, but I hope that you are right.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Well for the amount of whining Hank has done during post games about not getting enough goal support at times makes me wonder if he needs to be reminded that this game is indeed a TEAM sport.

Shut up & stop the puck.
When was he whining?

And he does stop the puck, better than any goalie in the league according to his accumulated sv% post lockout. He is consistently the best goalie in the league.

Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny 3m
RT @NYDNRangers: Lundqvist reps and #NYR have met to discuss a contract extension already, and have plans to meet again.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
When was he whining?
Whining may not be the best word, but there are PGT's on these boards filled with people here discussing Hank's comments about not getting enough goal support, the team not playing hard enough in front of him, etc.

Hank is smart enough not to call out anybody by name, but the impression he's given a lot of people after games is that he was unhappy with the team in front of him.

Some may interpret that as whining.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Whining may not be the best word, but there are PGT's on these boards filled with people here discussing Hank's comments about not getting enough goal support, the team not playing hard enough in front of him, etc.

Hank is smart enough not to call out anybody by name, but the impression he's given a lot of people after games is that he was unhappy with the team in front of him.

Some others may interpret that as leadership.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Exactly. He's never publicly called out a teammate (not that I recall of). The worst I can recall of was when he said he couldn't help team score goals in overtime after game 1 lost to the Bruins, and even then, he took himself accountable for the GWG against. That was a game where the Rangers were outshot 16-5 in OT and had 93 shot attempts against them vs. 66 on Rask, it was really a miracle they even made it to OT. He is a leader of this team and when he does open his mouth, he backs it up with his play on the ice. Same can't be said for other individuals on this roster over the years.

Last edited by Kershaw: 07-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny 3m
RT @NYDNRangers: Lundqvist reps and #NYR have met to discuss a contract extension already, and have plans to meet again.
great news. lock him up ASAP.

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
When was he whining?

And he does stop the puck, better than any goalie in the league according to his accumulated sv% post lockout. He is consistently the best goalie in the league.
Apparently he hasn't stoped enough pucks because I don't recall winning anything with him in net. or did I miss the parade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Well if he was trying to lead by way of the media the message fell on deaf ears.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Apparently he hasn't stoped enough pucks because I don't recall winning anything with him in net. or did I miss the parade?
Youve missed the mark on any sort of logical point.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy setting up the strawman "Hanks a God" argument just to turn around and demand a Cup out of a man who has made a career of dragging flawed rosters to just about as much success as their capable of.

But my favorite part of your argument is that saving some cash on Lundqvist to give to other players is a viable option. Yes, indeed, lets give Sather more cap space - hes proven to be a real wizard when it comes to filling holes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youve missed the mark on any sort of logical point.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy setting up the strawman "Hanks a God" argument just to turn around and demand a Cup out of a man who has made a career of dragging flawed rosters to just about as much success as their capable of.

But my favorite part of your argument is that saving some cash on Lundqvist to give to other players is a viable option. Yes, indeed, lets give Sather more cap space - hes proven to be a real wizard when it comes to filling holes.
By your logic you would rather have Sather give one player most of our money towards his deal & soak up more cap space.

Everyone assumes the cap is going to go up year in & year out. It very well may, but we don't know that for sure.

The cap COULD go down, though that to is ver unlikely.

We could be looking at some extreme all be it unlikely scenerio where Lundqvist signs this crazy retirement contract, Richards get's hurt & can't be bought out & the cap stays the same OR goes down.

Lemme tell you somthing if that did happen there would be people on this board jumping off bridges. If that is the case I really hope they use the bridges at MSG for their sawn dive because that irony would be so perfect.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
By your logic you would rather have Sather give one player most of our money towards his deal & soak up more cap space.

Everyone assumes the cap is going to go up year in & year out. It very well may, but we don't know that for sure.

We could be looking at some extreme all be it unlikely scenerio where Lundqvist signs this crazy retirement contract, Richards get's hurt & can't be bought out & the cap stays the same OR goes down.

Lemme tell you somthing if that did happen there would be people on this board jumping off bridges. If that is the case I really hope they use the bridges at MSG for their sawn dive because that irony would be so perfect.
The new CBA states the cap can't drop below 64.3M

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
The new CBA states the cap can't drop below 64.3M
That's a relief.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Even if the cap stays the same, your argument is whacko.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
lol.

Once again, hockey is a team sport. No individual player can win a cup on their own. Not a very tough concept to grasp.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
lol.

Once again, hockey is a team sport. No individual player can win a cup on their own. Not a very tough concept to grasp.
Exactly my point that's why we can't tie up one player with a max contract no matter how good he is.