HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Relo vs Expansion - The Pros and Cons of QC and SEA

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
GF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I think it's pretty much a given at his point that this team doesn't go to Seattle without some assurance of a new arena in 3 years. I don't think anyone's disputed that one?
I thought you (and some others) were. My bad.

Still, I do not rule Seattle out at this point because we're talking about the NHL here. They could do it even if it makes no sense at this point in time.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Like I said many times since it was announced on Hockey Night in Canada that they would be sold for 220 millions to Seattle, I think it's a done deal (barring a miracle) that they go there if Glendale fails.

Anyone getting their hopes up is foolish. The NHL will do the insane thing and have a lot of problems in Seattle, but they are willing to have these problems.

Like I said, we shouldn't be angry, it only means more spare money to travel and enjoy life.

I think our best chance is for expansion.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:21 PM
gstommylee

I think we all agree who ever gets the coyotes the other will get expansion.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:56 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post

Notice Quebec and Seattle NHL fans stats
There was a very similar one done for MLS before Seattle had a team. The results were that there were more hockey fans than soccer fans in Seattle.

Then Seattle got an MLS team, and the Sounders not only have led the league in attendance every year, they're double the average of everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I think we all agree who ever gets the coyotes the other will get expansion.
I'm still a conspiracy theorist. I think the league's gonna expand to 32 with Quebec and Markham.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Fraser Read

Haven't read through the thread, and this area of hockey is far from my specialty. But id just like to chime in that a lot of us here in BC are really excited about the possible Seattle re-location. It will be the first geographical rival the Canucks have ever had, and it will be so nice to have another arena you can make a trip to go see some star players for what I would imagine would be significantly less than we pay for games up here. So I would say based on the BC crowd alone you will be pulling in tonnes of people for any Canucks game, and when any of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos or other eastern teams/players we haven't got to see much of lately come through.

Also, from my experience I think the people from Seattle can definitely support a team, this may be a incredibly small and ridiculous sample, but any time I go to big Canucks games it seems like i always end up meeting a ridiculous amount of people from Seattle, to the point where I can explicitly remember commenting to a friend "everybody in here is from Seattle" and at least one time in particular it really felt that way. Also here in Victoria I can take a ferry right into downtown Seattle, so I would definitely be making the trip for a couple games next season. Anyways I know nothings official, but I'm pulling for em.

Last edited by Fraser Read: 06-28-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 12:16 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I'm still a conspiracy theorist. I think the league's gonna expand to 32 with Quebec and Markham.
No way they ignore Seattle and go with two Canadian teams if coyotes stay.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
beenhereandthere

If the Coyotes move to QC, instead of Seattle, well, counting NY/NJ and LA/Orange County as one market each, that would only leave 17 US Major Metro Areas with NHL teams.
By contrast, the NFL would have 26, the NBA would have 26 and MLB would have 20, using the same measurement, about TV markets/metro areas.
NBC would have lost 2 NHL markets, after singing that breakthrough deal in 2010.
I love QC as a town, but, well, the haters will have more ammo to call the NHL and oversized CFL if Phoenix is lost and they choose QC over Seattle now.
Hell, I think MLS, would have more (or equal) amount of US towns as the NHL if QC is chosen.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If the Coyotes move to QC, instead of Seattle, well, counting NY/NJ and LA/Orange County as one market each, that would only leave 17 US Major Metro Areas with NHL teams.
By contrast, the NFL would have 26, the NBA would have 26 and MLB would have 20, using the same measurement, about TV markets/metro areas.
NBC would have lost 2 NHL markets, after singing that breakthrough deal in 2010.
I love QC as a town, but, well, the haters will have more ammo to call the NHL and oversized CFL if Phoenix is lost and they choose QC over Seattle now.
Hell, I think MLS, would have more (or equal) amount of US towns as the NHL if QC is chosen.
I dont think you understand how saturated the American sports market is and how underserved the Canadian sports market is in comparison.

In the USA, you've got: Baseball, Football, BBall, Soccer, Matorsports, Golf, Tennis, etc... all fighting for attention.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I dont think you understand how saturated the American sports market is and how underserved the Canadian sports market is in comparison.

In the USA, you've got: Baseball, Football, BBall, Soccer, Matorsports, Golf, Tennis, etc... all fighting for attention.
We have 350 million people.....I think we can handle the saturation.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
massey1984

1) No more teams in the Eastern Time Zone...
2) No more talk of KC or Houston as a possible relocation site. Neither city has a love for the game/base for a team.
3) A team in the Pacific Northwest...Seattle is my first choice and Portland is a back up option.
4) The location for a 2nd franchise should be...Omaha...
-Great Omaha (50 mile radius from Omaha's center) has 1.2 million people and no pro sports teams;
-It has the corporate base to support a team...home to 5 Fortune 500 companies;
-The city loves its hockey and it is a great fit (time zone and geographically) for the up coming central division.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Shaz

There are certain states that should never have a pro team of any kind

Nebraska is one of them

Old
06-30-2013, 07:41 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

I still have this feeling that Glendale figures it out and the Coyotes stay. That said, I can’t even begin to make sense of everything that’s been reported, speculated and just pulled out of the clouds. If you just remove all the noise and chatter and look at the actual facts that have been presented something tells me that Quebec City is where the Coyotes lands if they have to move, but that’s not discounting Seattle in anyway.

1. QC is issuing two RFP for renovating the Colisee and updating the ice plant.
2. QC is building a new 18,000 seat arena schedule to open in 2015
3. Quebecor’s purchased Gestev
4. Quebecor hiring Aldo Giampaolo
5. PKP stepping down from Quebecor to take on a likely role within the organization

Those are real compelling points to Quebec City being in a position to land the Coyotes should they move… so let’s look at Seattle.

1. Glen Healy makes a reference to Seattle on CBC’s Hot Stove, giving information on owners, purchase price and timeline for deal to be complete.
2. Ken Campbell of THN writes a story claiming that Seattle is in fact stop No. 1 for the NHL should the Coyotes need to relocated.
3. Mayor of Seattle conducts a TV interview saying that they are “Plan B” for the NHL.
4. Chris Daniels interviews city councilor who says they’ve met prospective buyers and potential lease is in place.
5. Forbes release a story that claims NHLPA memo has been circulated that Seattle is option one for the Coyotes if they have to move.
6. Lack of a guaranteed plan for an arena. (Yes, I understand the MOU, but as with Glendale politics is fickle.)
7. No renovations have been undertaken as of yet at Key Arena. We’re less than 100 days from the beginning of the season.

I look at Seattle and I’m just left wanting more… That’s not a knock on Seattle. They will be a fantastic NHL city, but I look at the reports and I’ve seen nothing that jumps out to me and says they are getting the team. I could be wrong, for sure, because none of us know what the NHL is really thinking. We can only guess and speculate.

Last edited by wildcat48: 07-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old
07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
TorontoSports

The new arena in QC is going to be the new copps coliseum.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
tony d
Follow your Nose

I don't mind a team going to Seattle. Makes sense with the realignment and seems like a good market. Hopefully the NHL will expand to 2 of Quebec City, Houston or Kansas City by 2016.

07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Cotton

To the poster who included Hamilton in the GTA, Hamilton isn't in the GTA isn't apart of Halton/Niagara region and closer to Buffalo then Toronto.

I think the NHL should seriously consider re-locating more team's to Canada before enough people get po'd and something stupid happens ala rival league or some government involvement to stop having our game and players sold south while we get the short end of the stick. Harper has publicly called out Bettman already and one day, who knows.

Point is, it's tiring to a hockey fan in a hockey market see it pushed in places everyone knows it's going to fail. Peety-puck say's if you haven't got a passion for it yet I'm heading back north. Phoenix to Seattle okay, but then re-establish some markets; Quebec City/Hartford/Hamilton ect.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
To the poster who included Hamilton in the GTA, Hamilton isn't in the GTA isn't apart of Halton/Niagara region and closer to Buffalo then Toronto.

I think the NHL should seriously consider re-locating more team's to Canada before enough people get po'd and something stupid happens ala rival league or some government involvement to stop having our game and players sold south while we get the short end of the stick. Harper has publicly called out Bettman already and one day, who knows.

Point is, it's tiring to a hockey fan in a hockey market see it pushed in places everyone knows it's going to fail. Peety-puck say's if you haven't got a passion for it yet I'm heading back north. Phoenix to Seattle okay, but then re-establish some markets; Quebec City/Hartford/Hamilton ect.
Halton is part of the GTA. That's all I will say.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
Different cities, different situations, and different buildings.

The two aren't remotely comparable.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
seattletotems

Quote:

Hmmm what does the Canadian goverment do? Revoke all the NHL teams in the USA and force them to move to, Saskatoon ,QC Hamilton ,Moose Jaw and Yellowknife? When is the prejudice going to end? It is all about business ( MONEY)...Not FAN SUPPORT!!!! Sorry that is the honest truth!

Old
07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
seattletotems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
Hey the above quote was written by me and deleted by the Mod's for some reason.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletotems View Post
Hmmm what does the Canadian goverment do? Revoke all the NHL teams in the USA and force them to move to, Saskatoon ,QC Hamilton ,Moose Jaw and Yellowknife? When is the prejudice going to end? It is all about business ( MONEY)...Not FAN SUPPORT!!!! Sorry that is the honest truth!
I'm going to ignore the government talk because it's stupid to begin with. However fan support and business (money) go hand in hand and there is no way that someone can argue Seattle is in a position to make more money than Quebec in the next 3-5 years.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
seattletotems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
I'm going to ignore the government talk because it's stupid to begin with. However fan support and business (money) go hand in hand and there is no way that someone can argue Seattle is in a position to make more money than Quebec in the next 3-5 years.
You can argue that Seattle will make more money selling out 150-200
suites in a new arena at a cost of over $ 100,000 . We have the fastest growing economy in the United States.Our property values are increasing more in value than any other part of the USA. W e have more fortune 500 companies than QC . We have more televisions than QC .The list goes on and on...Your city is not special but your passion is.... Good luck to you.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Revo

Quote:
You can argue that Seattle will make more money selling out 150-200
suites in a new arena at a cost of over $ 100,000 . We have the fastest growing economy in the United States.Our property values are increasing more in value than any other part of the USA. W e have more fortune 500 companies than QC . We have more televisions than QC .The list goes on and on...Your city is not special but your passion is.... Good luck to you.
Yes, and there wouldn't be corporate support for a team in Québec City... right.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying... you have no clue how the economy is over here.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Whether people like it or not the NHL is for all intents and purposes an American sports league that happens to have some Canadian teams. While hockey is Canada's national sport, Canada does NOT own hockey: It's a sport that's played world-wide now and as such it belongs to the world not any one nation.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
The NHL doesn't think in terms of 3-5 years but in terms of 20-30 years. That's what major corporations do.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4500
Quote:

Yeah unlike the good ole days when the Original 6 were all Canadian teams, and Canada and the US had equal populations. Jesus, talk about a raging inferiority complex.

Closed Thread