HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers Free Agency Targets 2013- Bold Moves?

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
BestWestern

vCash: 500
Enthropi: Hadn't thought about Matt Cullen, what do you think would make him a good fit for ur 3C? What kind of money/term would you give him? TBH the only way I trade Horcoff is if I can find a better 3C in FA, without giving up an asset. There is another compliance buyout window next summer, and Horcs trade value will probably be higher around trade deadline.

I don't really want a banger/crasher for a 4th line C, if you want that, get a winger not a centre. I want a centre who can get the puck out of his own end, win face-offs, and who is defensively responsible. Gordon > Lapierre for this, but I would take either.

I'm looking at Richardson as a potential winger as well. And I would stay the hell away from Clowe. No offence, footspeed fading fast, and age is catching up with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league in 3 years. Unless Detroit signs him.

At this point, I don't really wanna waste a contract on 5's, 6's, and 7's who MIGHT turn out to be top 4 Dmen. If we're acquiring any D-man, I want a bonafide top 4 LH Dman. If our bottom 4 D men are:

N.Schultz-Potter
Klefbom-Belov
I'm fine with that. No need to add another contract. The bigger issue is:
????-J. Schultz
Smid-Petry

No maybe's or sorta's. Gimme Tyutin!

Also, just look at what carrying 8 dmen last year resulted in: Harti up and down because he wouldn't have to clear waivers. If you sign another Potter, not a Fistric, then you don't run into that problem with Lander, etc.

But as far as free agency goes, I Would only target a RH depth dman, who is solid enough to play bottom pairing if someone is injured.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Penner actually wouldn't be a bad option if he's willing to sign for cheap. He had his best year here in Edmonton and we still have a need for a player with size that can grind down low. He's not really physical but he does play a solid puck possession game.

It would come down to the dollars but I would be fine giving him a short-term deal over a 5 year, mega-bucks deal to a guy like Clarkson.
Penner and Eakins. The comedy between those two could write itself.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
BestWestern

Jawanda Puck:

I think in order to convince Ference to come here, you'll have to give him $4M per for at least 3 years. You really wanna do that with a 35 Y/O #4 Dman? No thanks. He'd get slaughtered playing in a top pairing.

Also, going after Ference... and Stalberg AND Macarthur AND Chipchura is going to put us in a really uncomfortable cap situation (especially if we end up retaining salary with Hemsky, Horcoff, etc.) we'll be better off IMO being selective with our FA adds; not signing every live body to a long term contract.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
armandh01

Hopeful UFA list, slim pickings.

#1C: Lecavlier - I'd go between 5 - 7m at most depending on term but so unlikely I am ashamed to put it here.

#2C: Weiss if cheaper than Gagner

2nd/3rd Line Wingers: Horton, Clarkson, Morrow, Clark MacArthur, Stalberg, Prospal, Cooke,

#3C: Cullen, Antropov for the right price, very little too choose here in UFA

#4 C: Gordon, Lapierre, Chipchura

4th Line Wingers: Armstrong, Jones, Petrell - Slim pickins here surprisingly.

Goalie: Khudobin, Ellis, Emery

I think MacT needs to take advantage of teams in a cap crunch, teams who have a lot of signings to do or teams who have internal caps and RFA offersheet a couple of players.

RFA targets: Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Bogosian

Old
07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestWestern View Post
Jawanda Puck:

I think in order to convince Ference to come here, you'll have to give him $4M per for at least 3 years. You really wanna do that with a 35 Y/O #4 Dman? No thanks. He'd get slaughtered playing in a top pairing.

Also, going after Ference... and Stalberg AND Macarthur AND Chipchura is going to put us in a really uncomfortable cap situation (especially if we end up retaining salary with Hemsky, Horcoff, etc.) we'll be better off IMO being selective with our FA adds; not signing every live body to a long term contract.
I targeted players who fit their respective bottom six profiles or temporary top pair profile, and purposely chose those with ties to nearby communities which should facilitate some sort of hometown discount helping reduce the longterm contract exposure:

Ference is from Edmonton and offseasons in Vernon BC
Gordon is from Unity SK and played WHL in Red Deer AB
MacArthur is from Lloydminister AB
Chipchura is from Westlock AB
Nystrom's family (Bob) is from Hinton AB and has played in CGY before

Stalberg is the only one without ties...if he costs too much money and term, ok, don't sign him, promote Nystrom to the third line instead.

07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Enthropi: Hadn't thought about Matt Cullen, what do you think would make him a good fit for ur 3C? What kind of money/term would you give him? TBH the only way I trade Horcoff is if I can find a better 3C in FA, without giving up an asset. There is another compliance buyout window next summer, and Horcs trade value will probably be higher around trade deadline.

I don't really want a banger/crasher for a 4th line C, if you want that, get a winger not a centre. I want a centre who can get the puck out of his own end, win face-offs, and who is defensively responsible. Gordon > Lapierre for this, but I would take either.

I'm looking at Richardson as a potential winger as well. And I would stay the hell away from Clowe. No offence, footspeed fading fast, and age is catching up with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league in 3 years. Unless Detroit signs him.

At this point, I don't really wanna waste a contract on 5's, 6's, and 7's who MIGHT turn out to be top 4 Dmen. If we're acquiring any D-man, I want a bonafide top 4 LH Dman. If our bottom 4 D men are:

N.Schultz-Potter
Klefbom-Belov
I'm fine with that. No need to add another contract. The bigger issue is:
????-J. Schultz
Smid-Petry

No maybe's or sorta's. Gimme Tyutin!

Also, just look at what carrying 8 dmen last year resulted in: Harti up and down because he wouldn't have to clear waivers. If you sign another Potter, not a Fistric, then you don't run into that problem with Lander, etc.

But as far as free agency goes, I Would only target a RH depth dman, who is solid enough to play bottom pairing if someone is injured.
I imagine Cullen would want a similar deal to what he had in MN, 3.5M or so, 2-3y. He's good on the dot, responsible, decent size but no overly physical, still better than Horcoff though, and he had a very solid offensive season. Has a Cup ring too I believe and a good leader.

I want one of our Cs to be a banger, we thought we'd be good with defensively responsible guys like Horcoff and Belanger, but in the end, defensive ability doesn't make you harder to play against, we need guys that will stop only poke-checking and actually separate opponents from the puck. I also want more physical wingers, but at least 1C that can do that too. Adds another dimension to line-matching when you can throw out a vet shutdown guy who can counter-punch with offense, or a physical shutdown guy who will make softer players stay shy.

I also don't really like Clowe, but as I said, it's really the only big top-6 LW UFA. *Shrug* I'd much rather MacT to be proactive and approach WSH about Laich, they are up to the cap, with significant RFAs to sign. I really think they want Ribeiro back too, and they barely had Laich this season at all, it's the perfect time to pounce. And Laich can take face-offs on Gagner or RNH's line too, wherever he plays. Really a perfect fit.

The D us really up in the air. Pretty obvious Petry, Smid, JSchultz and Belov will be a part of the D. NSchultz they seem to like like. So it's like pieces of a puzzle all in place, but you still feel like it's not right. But other pieces you try don't seem like they'll make that much of a difference. Maybe if a Daley or Robidas would be available from Dallas, that would be a proper upgrade, but I'd still like a serious hitter in there too. I mean Smid hits a lot but not in an intimidating way, I'd want to add someone who wrecks people, and in the top-4 ideally. Tough to find though. Maybe Orpik? even if he's lost a step allegedly.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I'm not 100% against the idea of signing Stalberg cause I do think he is a useful player if deployed correctly, but really all he brings to the ice is speed and size, he's not very physical, doesn't utilize his linemates all that well, and if we are looking at how Chicago deployed him he apparently needs to be sheltered and honestly with all the youth we have, there isn't that many places to hide deficient players on our roster.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
thinlizzy

I like the idea of Moen and we could probably get him at a decent price. I don't think Penner will be coming due to his distruption in the dressing room and RC coach. Vinny is looking at Boston, Montreal, and possibly Detroit at 5 years 6 million which is a tad steep. Talk about greedy man.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Cerebral

I think we need some depth forwards who can score like Stalberg, Pouliot, and Galiardi.

However, I'd also love to sign Nystrom as an upgrade to Brown. I love Brown but he sucks.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Personally I find the Lecavalier situation a little disgusting.

Guy signs a contract that will pay him more than 7.5M per year. Goes on to underperform later on in his contract.

His "punishment" is that he gets bought out, earning a sizeable portion of that contract.

Goes to UFA where he will likely sign another contract paying him more than 4M per year, and probably on a better team as well.

I'm going to be sick if he ends up getting paid more than 7.5M when you add in the buyout + his new contract.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
stangconv

What happened to Boychuk and Peverly for cheap? We could use both...

Old
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
skorf

#1 D - none available. We already got Belov and I think management will bring back 1 other guy (I'm thinking Brewer) and resign Frstic for depth

#2 W - Clarkson/Horton will both be overpaid and will end up being a Horcoff type of contract in the future; I hope we stay away from them. I could see management even looking at Vinny or someone like Briere and trying Gagner some at 2nd line LW, but I am more hoping that we give Paajarvi the chance this year since there aren't many better options out there and we can see if he can play top 6 forward minutes consistently... I could see us give Flippula a long look too especially if Mac gets desperate

#3 W - I think Penner makes some sense like people have mentioned. If he's willing to put in a solid effort like he did with Mac half the time then he could be a solid 3rd line winger or even supplant Paajarvi on the 2nd line halfway through the year if he really struggles.

2nd #3 W - since I bumped Paajarvi up to the 2nd line, we will need another 3rd line W. I think we sign a Boyes or Richardson type of player. And they will kind of replace Jones. Smyth may get some looks here as well.

#3C - I'm dreading thinking Horcoff will still be here. His skill set would make him a decent #3C, just the way he's paid they almost feel obligated to give him minutes elsewhere plus we need new leadership and it's hard to have a new leader when the old one is still kicking around. I think the end of the day, Mac will find someone to take him on though.
Smith from Ottawa, I think in the end, we will get this trade done. we likely will have to eat half of hemsky's salary but mac gets the C we need

#2G - I hope we don't overpay for a backup, Dubnyk has been in the top half of the league in save % with arguably the worst defense in front of him. He's our starter and no reason to give someone big bucks. If there's a veteran out there for 1.5 million a year then i wouldn't mind us making a move for them, but i think in the end we give danis a shot for at least a year to make room in the ahl for the young guys

#4C - Lander though I would not mind seeing Gordon signed and to have Lander play some wing or even some third line wing. A guy like Malhotra would not be a bad signing either or even Steckel

#4W Petrell resign, Smyth and Brown are there too. I wouldn't be surprised if Smithson is brought back as well

Hall/Nuge/Eberle
Paajarvi/Gagner/Yakupov
Penner/Smith/Boyes
Smithson/Lander/Petrell
Box: Smyth, Brown

JSchultz/Smid
Brewer/Petry
Belov/NSchultz
Box: Frstic or Potter

Dubs
Danis

Old
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
BestWestern

Enthropi: My main aversion to Cullen is that I don't want to get Belanger'd. it's not unlikely for 35+ forwards to just fall off the map offensively, and I don't wanna get stuck with a 35+ contract at 3.5 mill for the next 2-3 years.

Re: Laich. I have a lot of time for Brooks Laich, but as a 3C not a 2LW. Sub 40 point player who just turned 30? Not exactly fitting the bill for that 2LW. If he can step up and fill that role in a pinch that's great; but I don't want him getting paid for that role.

Like I said on our D, I wouldn't go for anybody other than a RH #8 D-man in FA. No top pairing guys available, so why waste money on inferior players. I don't feel the need to have a D-man who obliterates people in open ice. Orpik is definitely declining, Robidas is ancient, and I don't know enough about Robidas to present an informed opinion. I still think Fedor Tyutin and Braydon Coburn would be great fits.

I think a big Centre fills your "banger" criteria while still being good defensively. Martin Hanzal is by no means a guy with a noted mean streak or a big hitter, but the dude makes plays. Finding that in a 4C? tough tho. Gordon's Corsi was phenomenal considering his role and ZS %, doesn't look like his lack of hitting hurt him there.

Burnt Biscuts:

That's exactly the reason I am averse to Stalberg. He is an intriguing player though, with potential if he can put it all together. But yes, not exactly what Edmonton needs though.

Jawanda Puck: When has this worked with players from Edmonton (and surrounding area), who are actually good hockey players?

Every year I hear on HF boards how the "local boys" will come home and play for cheap. Vernon fiddler last year is the most recent, but I don't think you can count on cap friendly contracts because of geographical connection.

Skorf:

I think Clarkson has potential to be a Horcoff contract, but not Horton. Why? Clarkson had 2 good offensive seasons (Horcoff) but horton's first 6 NHL seasons were consistent (45-62 points) and his last 2 have been 32 points in 46 games and 22 points in 42 (followed by a playoff where he went 19 in 22). Consistent Offensive production throughout his career. If it's a cap friendly number, and the coaching staff thinks either he or Yak can play LW, i have no problem signing him to a 4 year + deal.

I really like Penner as a 3W option. Him and paajarvi would be a nice duo on that 3L. A cheaper Clowe.

Lander has to find his offence. He really started to get on track near the end of the year and playoffs in OKC. He improved, but by no means was racking up points. I think he needs another year to build upon that production in OKC. Good call-up option tho.

Yan Danis is not an NHL goalie. Phenomenal AHL guy, but I jsut don't think you can rely on him to win games when Dubnyk is struggling/needs a night off. Labarberra or Khudobin could probably be had for less than $2M, and I'd take them over Danis.

If we come out of FA with:

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
????-Gagner-Yak
MacArthur/Cooke-(Horc)-PRV
Smyth-Gordon-Richardson/Comeau

????-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
Belov-N.Schultz
Klefbom-Potter

Dubnyk
Labarberra

We have 2 holes in our roster (#1 LD and #2 LW). Horc is an average #3C with a big cap hit. I'd only move him if we can acquire an average 3C who is under 28 and with a small cap hit. Otherwise, Keep the Kaptain.

Surely MacT can make something happen via trade?

Old
07-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Angry Boys

I suspect that we will be much more active on the trade front than free agency. I wouldnt be surprised if we sign Andrew Ference, a back up goalie , and not much else from Free agency
There will be better opportunities for trades on Salary cap challenged teams ( ie Philly, St Louis, Boston, perhaps NYR if they sign Vinny L) this season than previous years. MacT needs to be smart and hold his nerve - these teams will need the cap space

We may be much more active on the waiver wire in October too, to fill out the roster. We should be able to get 4th liners and 7th/8th defensemen without giving up trade picks like last year.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Jawanda Puck: When has this worked with players from Edmonton (and surrounding area), who are actually good hockey players?

Every year I hear on HF boards how the "local boys" will come home and play for cheap. Vernon fiddler last year is the most recent, but I don't think you can count on cap friendly contracts because of geographical connection.
Works in Vancouver (Hamhuis & Garrison, and just missed out on J.Schultz, well, because of the other two). Works in MIN as well (Parise & Suter). This year's crop seems to have quite a bounty of central & northern AB/SK players who accurately fit third & fourth-line profiles. I would guess at least a couple end up in Oiler jersey's this summer.

For similar reasons, I suspect CGY has a great shot at landing Bozak and M.Raymond (just like they got that college kid a couple weeks ago from High River).

Old
07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
armandh01

Trading Horcoff at 35% retention, Hemsky at 20% retention, Belanger buyout gives us a total of 24m into Free Agency. If dreams are met then buying out Smyth would give us 26.5m

Personally I hope they manage to trade Nick Schultz. Is there any teams out there that could use him? He's a bit overpriced.

Last edited by armandh01: 07-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
BestWestern

Jawanda Puck: That's Vancouver. British Columbia. California North. We are Edmonton. Alberta. Montana North. I think it's more so Vancouver/BC is a nice place to live, and Edmonton/AB is not as nice. Whether it's climate, urban development, etc. Vancouver is a nicer place than Edmonton, imo.

Even good 'ol Edmonton boy Andy Ference doesn't come home for summer. He summers in Vernon. Even if we do sign these AB/Sask guys:

1) We shouldn't be approaching them just because of their ties to the area
and
2) Even if any do sign here, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that their ties to the area will be the deciding factor. If it's a good hockey decision, the fact that your home is nearby is just a bonus.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
BestWestern

armhandh01:

I really do hope we can move those players with some salary retention, but I don't think it would be wise to make this year our "spending" year. New contracts for Schultz, Yak, and Nuge are on the horizon. I wouldn't mind Horc playing out the year and getting traded at the deadline (if we're out of it) or after the season and freeing up money next summer for the extensions. That way, we don't have to rush and fill a centre spot this offseason, and can give prospects another year to develop.

I have a feeling that N. Schultz with some salary retention could be part of a 3 for 1 trade:

remember:

Brewer, Woywitka, 1st for Pronger?

what about:

N. Schultz (25% Retention), 1st, PRV for Tyutin?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
I will probably get flamed for this but I would give top free agents a 1 year overpayment for this season we have the cap room , reasoning we propel into playoffs and after their deal is done they will sign longer term at reasonable rate knowing we have a chance to win.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Bergeron47

Sorry to be Buzz Killington, but you may as well cut out all the Cullen talk. Russo ( Wild insider) said on Oilers Now a couple weeks ago that at Cullen's stage of his career he's going to be signing a cheap deal on a contending team. He's in the 'win before I retire' mode.

On a related note, why in the world would Thomas sign on to split duties on a rebuilding team in a cold city when he may only have 1 or 2 years left? What a ridiculous thought.

I think Penner's now been far enough removed from his Oilers days that he'd be happy to play 3rd liner minutes on a 3rd liner contract. I have no issue bringing him back on a 2 year, 4-5 mil deal.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
armhandh01:

I really do hope we can move those players with some salary retention, but I don't think it would be wise to make this year our "spending" year. New contracts for Schultz, Yak, and Nuge are on the horizon. I wouldn't mind Horc playing out the year and getting traded at the deadline (if we're out of it) or after the season and freeing up money next summer for the extensions. That way, we don't have to rush and fill a centre spot this offseason, and can give prospects another year to develop.

I have a feeling that N. Schultz with some salary retention could be part of a 3 for 1 trade:

remember:

what about:

Sweet Jebus, Tyutin isn't Pronger back that up. This is the UFA thread anyways.

I really want the Oilers to be in on Gordon, he seems like the perfect fit.

I'm still on Ron Hainsey, played 20mins+ in Winnipeg, LHD, would be a nice add to the depth of the blueline.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
armhandh01:

remember:

what about:

Not a chance

Old
07-01-2013, 10:24 PM
BestWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Sorry to be Buzz Killington, but you may as well cut out all the Cullen talk. Russo ( Wild insider) said on Oilers Now a couple weeks ago that at Cullen's stage of his career he's going to be signing a cheap deal on a contending team. He's in the 'win before I retire' mode.

On a related note, why in the world would Thomas sign on to split duties on a rebuilding team in a cold city when he may only have 1 or 2 years left? What a ridiculous thought.

I think Penner's now been far enough removed from his Oilers days that he'd be happy to play 3rd liner minutes on a 3rd liner contract. I have no issue bringing him back on a 2 year, 4-5 mil deal.
This.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
BestWestern

Jimmi Jenkins:

was not comparing them as players just structure of the trade
i.e. 1st rd. pick, prospect, established NHL d-man for better NHL dman
the "3 for 1" that Lowetide always talks about.

Oil Tank Job: Why? How so? If you want to elaborate, DM me. Don't want to disrupt the thread.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Everest

It would have be "bold" of Mac-T to gamble with where exactly the '14 pick will end up...top 20 seems a solid bet...but...if he uses that pick to land Coburn...I think I would be good with it...and even if PHI ends up getting a top 10 prospect next June...We could swallow that pill, I think.

The only problem is...we tend to rely on our 1rst rounders to hold our entire development network above water. So, history says trading ANY 1rst rounder will mean that draft is, essentially/entirely a wash.

Would Holmgren bite on that?

I have to think he would have to think long & hard about it.

Closed Thread