HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
that's what i'm thinking. I heard they may also consider trading Thad Young and Evan Turner? Hinkie stockpiling draft picks.
don't consider just do it. turner and young will never be cogs on a championship team. Both avg 2 fta a game and that is just pathetic for that position.

I do hold hope for Turner, but any team that acquires him has to make him their pg. He would be an intresting pg going forward but it is clear as day he is no sg.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
That's the idea. I'm trying not to put all the hope on Wiggins though. Even if we finish with the worst record there's a 75% chance we don't get the 1st pick. But after Wiggins there are potential stars in Randle, Parker, and Gordon. The team will hopefully walk away with one out of those four and get another guy with the Pelicans pick in the late lottery.
If there really are sports gods, they have to be looking down on us with some mercy this year. I can't handle another season with the worst record in the league and not getting the best player.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:06 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
If there really are sports gods, they have to be looking down on us with some mercy this year. I can't handle another season with the worst record in the league and not getting the best player.
If we have our pick + NO's pick, we could potentially have 2 lottery picks, which means a much higher chance that we'd get the #1 pick with one of them.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
If we have our pick + NO's pick, we could potentially have 2 lottery picks, which means a much higher chance that we'd get the #1 pick with one of them.
New Orleans pick is protected 1-3 I think. I hope that it somehow becomes the 4th pick. That would be amazing.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Jtown

Quote:
New Orleans pick is protected 1-3 I think. I hope that it somehow becomes the 4th pick. That would be amazing.
protected 1-5. I think the sixers are going to get rid of any potential vetran that can contribute to wins next year and may trade for some other teams prospects with baggage in hopes of finding a stud. Also sixers can take on capspace so a team that wants to part with a bad contract may be able to add an asset. This next year is all about tanking. ANd in sports you either have to suck or be reallly good to win championships. Can't be caught in the middle like the sixers have been for the past 12 years.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:19 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
protected 1-5. I think the sixers are going to get rid of any potential vetran that can contribute to wins next year and may trade for some other teams prospects with baggage in hopes of finding a stud. Also sixers can take on capspace so a team that wants to part with a bad contract may be able to add an asset. This next year is all about tanking. ANd in sports you either have to suck or be reallly good to win championships. Can't be caught in the middle like the sixers have been for the past 12 years.
What kind of guys is Hinkey looking to sign? I know he's into advanced stats but I know literally nothing about advanced basketball statistics.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:
What kind of guys is Hinkey looking to sign? I know he's into advanced stats but I know literally nothing about advanced basketball statistics.
No one. First off philly is not going to attrack any of the big free agents. He is not going to overpay for anyone. I think he is going to accumulate youth, talent. and then when the time is right package them for a legitimate star. But right now sixers just need to stockpile young assets and we are in a great position to do so. I doubt very much we sign anyone to help us next year.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Go For It

I want to preface this with the statement that I do not follow the NBA at all and only have a limited understanding of their CBA/salary structure. However, with the Sixers clearing all this cap space for the future, is there a chance that LeBron comes to Philly if he opts out of his deal next season?

Old
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I want to preface this with the statement that I do not follow the NBA at all and only have a limited understanding of their CBA/salary structure. However, with the Sixers clearing all this cap space for the future, is there a chance that LeBron comes to Philly if he opts out of his deal next season?
I hate LeBron James. He's a stuck up, whiny, entitled ass clown who is so full of himself I have no idea where his internal organs fit.

I'll buy a Lebron jersey 10 seconds after the signing if it happens.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
do we get a different pick if theirs ends up 1-3 or 1-5 or whatever it is?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
No one. First off philly is not going to attrack any of the big free agents. He is not going to overpay for anyone. I think he is going to accumulate youth, talent. and then when the time is right package them for a legitimate star. But right now sixers just need to stockpile young assets and we are in a great position to do so. I doubt very much we sign anyone to help us next year.
does that mindset change though if we were to land wiggins, who some say is the next superstar in the league?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
It rolls to the next year.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Quote:
The way it usually works is that we would get their 2015 1st rounder if they have a top 5 pick next draft. The trade hasn't been finalized yet so I can't say for sure. The best we can hope for would be picks 1 and 6.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Jtown

Quote:
does that mindset change though if we were to land wiggins, who some say is the next superstar in the league?
well if you get wiggins then you go about the okc route. Develop all the young players and cross your fingers that they blossom. But ill say NN, MCW, and AW would be legitmate pieces to build around. The thing is this team will only be able to improve themselves through the draft much like OKC. FA's are not coming to philly and if they do so its cause we overpaid.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Yes. If we can stockpile great young talent that would be very appealing for a big time FA to join the team if it looks like we have a legitimate shot at doing something special. But I don't think the sixers will be breaking the bank over anyone for at least 2-3 offseasons.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I don't even mean next year, I mean in general. What does a guy like him look for? What are some advanced statistics and how do they work>?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Jtown

Quote:
I don't even mean next year, I mean in general. What does a guy like him look for? What are some advanced statistics and how do they work>?
in terms of advanced stats. It is all about effiencency. point per shot, shot attempts per to.

Analytics are nice, and now more than ever we can not only see who the good players in the nba are but what makes them so good. But unlike in baseball , there is no 1 stat that a person can hang their hat on as the preeminent stat. In bball you have obp, and then slg percentage. in the early 2000's gm's were paying guys based off slugging percentage, but guys with the high obp were the ones that were winning games. THen there was a switch later in the decade.

Basketball is in its infancy in terms of analytics, and really there is no telling stat , that can predict a players ability to contribute to wins.

Darryl morey who is considered the bill james of basketball, cut jeremy lin. Then signed him to a huge deal when his advanced stats showed how productive he was, now he is trying to trade him again.

IMO analytics within basketball are really bad at predicting a players value.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
You could look into Player Efficiency Rating (PER). It's not perfect but is still a valuable stat. A guy like Evan Turner is likely out the door in the near future partly because his PER is around 12, which pretty poor/inefficient. On the contrary Thad Young has a PER of 18 the last 3 seasons, which is very good.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Wiggins and a healthy Noel is easily worth the gamble of losing Jrue Holiday
Cheaper too.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:38 PM
zarley zelepukin

Seems like the Pelicans are looking to use some cap space up this offseason. They gave an offer sheet to Tyreke Evans and they've been linked to Andre Iguodala. If they to make another significant addition, we might be looking at their 1st rounder being in the teens next year rather than the top 10.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
You could look into Player Efficiency Rating (PER). It's not perfect but is still a valuable stat. A guy like Evan Turner is likely out the door in the near future partly because his PER is around 12, which pretty poor/inefficient. On the contrary Thad Young has a PER of 18 the last 3 seasons, which is very good.
Yeah, Turner is not efficient at all, but his problems go beyond that as well unfortunately.

His inability to learn to play without the ball in his hands really irks me. If anyone watches, they see him just stand there the entire possession.

Also, his poor shooting and overall mechanics are something he has to work on but I have to confidence that it will be fixed.

I get mad just watching him and thinking we drafted him #2.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
you don't think that potentially Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel + Whoever we draft with our other 1st next year will be better than having Jrue Holiday?

i'm asking genuinely, i don't know much about basketball, but from what i've read, it seems like this wiggins kid could be the next superstar.
We won't be picking Wiggins, Parker, Smart or whoever with the Pelicans pick though. That will be our own. I know trading Holiday will probably improve OUR pick but I'm basing on Noel + Pelicans pick for Holiday and taking our pick out of the equation. We we're like a Top 5-7 pick WITH Holiday next year. Without him we'll challenge for the worst record in the league.

The Pelicans will be a borderline playoff team next year adding Holiday, a healthy Eric Gordon, to Vazquez and year older Davis and Rivers. Add in the fact that they just signed Tyreke Evans to an offer sheet and have interest in Iguodala, I'd be shocked if that pick they gave us is higher than 10th. (Regardless, even if the Pelicans are god awful for some reason that pick is top 5 protected. So at the absolute best is the 6th pick next year.)

I think Noel can be a solid player but I don't see superstar. That is if his knees hold up and he puts on weight. I think he maxes out at Camby or Tyson Chandler. That's not terrible, but not franchise changing. As for MCW. I think his max potential is Holiday but more likely just a solid starting PG. He's a better passer than Holiday but nowhere near the shooter and Holiday is probably a better defender too.

I'm starting to come around to the trade a little bit from where I was originally (which was irate) but Holiday was still young enough to be here for the tank and turn around.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
There's as good of a chance of me playing for the Sixers than there is LeBron and I am terrible at basketball.

LeBron will either stay in Miami, go back to Cleveland or sign with whoever the trendy, potential Miami part 2, Super Team is at the time.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
We won't be picking Wiggins, Parker, Smart or whoever with the Pelicans pick though. That will be our own. I know trading Holiday will probably improve OUR pick but I'm basing on Noel + Pelicans pick for Holiday and taking our pick out of the equation. We we're like a Top 5-7 pick WITH Holiday next year. Without him we'll challenge for the worst record in the league.

The Pelicans will be a borderline playoff team next year adding Holiday, a healthy Eric Gordon, to Vazquez and year older Davis and Rivers. Add in the fact that they just signed Tyreke Evans to an offer sheet and have interest in Iguodala, I'd be shocked if that pick they gave us is higher than 10th. (Regardless, even if the Pelicans are god awful for some reason that pick is top 5 protected. So at the absolute best is the 6th pick next year.)

I think Noel can be a solid player but I don't see superstar. That is if his knees hold up and he puts on weight. I think he maxes out at Camby or Tyson Chandler. That's not terrible, but not franchise changing. As for MCW. I think his max potential is Holiday but more likely just a solid starting PG. He's a better passer than Holiday but nowhere near the shooter and Holiday is probably a better defender too.

I'm starting to come around to the trade a little bit from where I was originally (which was irate) but Holiday was still young enough to be here for the tank and turn around.

When your best player is a pg it is time to trade your pg. Never has a pg led a team to the championship. And the nba is filled with so many talented young pg's. I like jrue but this deal was a no brainer for us . There are more talented pg's than 6 11 atheletic bigs that can protect the rim like noel.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

So the Pelicans got Tyreke Evans in a sign and trade today. I don't think that 2014 1st round pick is going to be that good anymore.

Closed Thread