HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
Sooooo ........ It's time to fire MacT eh?? There is ONLY one person in this Org that should be fired, and that's KEVIN LOWE!!!!

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:46 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Sooooo ........ It's time to fire MacT eh?? There is ONLY one person in this Org that should be fired, and that's KEVIN LOWE!!!!
This just in-----Kevin Lowe has being re-signed for 10 years!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This just in-----Kevin Lowe has being re-signed for 10 years!
All that inside info you have, how about squeezing MacT for more info.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
skorf

B+

Great
1) Signing Belov, Mac said he was going to get immediate help, maybe we didn't get it in the draft but Belov will be with the Oilers this year and is an immediate upgrade
2) Not trading for Clutterbuck, I really wanted him but I would not want to have tried to beat the Islanders package.
3) Drafting the 2 Russian guys in the middle rounds. Sounds like those guys are friends and friends with Yakupov. If it was not for the Russian factor those guys would have had a good chance to be first rounders. Even if it is a 50% chance that they come over in 2 years. That is still better odds then other middle round guys have to make the team. And getting them together I would said increases the odds of them coming over

Good
1) Not trading for Kennedy, he's a decent role player but we could find a comparable player in free agency or some team in a cap crunch later who will want to give someone up cheaply, no reason to give up a 2nd rounder for him.
2) Not drafting a goalie, I'd have loved to get Fucale in the second but he went one before us. (not trading up, can't really grade it since we don't know the asking price) The remaining goalies are not any different then the ones we have developing now. I wouldn't want to waste a pick and have 5 instead of 4 developmental goalies that maybe could make the NHL (Hoivenen, Bunz, Roy, and Tiimhoma or however you spell it)
3) Not trading back up for a first, I know some people wanted to trade back up for a 2nd line center type of player, but the asking price likely was way too high. I think only 2 first round trades off the top of my head (18 + 20 swap) and the schneider one. Likely it was not worth the asking price. I know when Feaster (mid round 1st range) was being interviewed after the 2nd pick, he said that there were several offers on the table but they wanted a guy (I assume most picks were that way) so it wasn't for the lack of teams trying to move up just no one wanted to move down.
4) Not overpaying in trades. We want to improve now but there is no reason we should mortgage the future for help now. I think he's seeing some of the issues the previous regime had, we have our young guys that we want to keep and very few other assets that teams are interested in. Would giving up MPS and a high pick be worth it to get Coburn, when we could sign someone like Brewer or someone comparable to around the same amount of money. I'd rather not have us make the trade.

Average
1) New coach, I like that he went out and got a guy that he wanted and a guy with the philosophy he likes. Worst thing is to have a GM and coach with different goals. With that said, I'm not a big fan of the hire since I think he's overrated and a byproduct of the Toronto media coverage.

Bad
1) His interview, yeah he seemed flustered and I think the major reason was they honestly thought either Monahan or Lindholm would be there. When neither were, they were on to plan C and management was split as to exactly what plan C was going to be.

Horrible
1) being too opened mouthed, as fans we love to hear the rumors and I think he is trying to give hope to a fan base that has endured some recent losing. But you do not want to show your cards and he needs to not talk to the media so much

Ungradeable
1) Not trading for Bolland, Chicago supposedly took less to get Bolland where he wanted to be plus it's in the other conference. We have no idea what we would have needed to offer to get it done but I would guess it'd have had to be considerably more.
2) Not moving Hemsky and Horcoff... I'd guess almost no one wants them, Hemsky should have been traded at the 2012 trade deadline and Horcoff became untradeable after he signed that contract; nothing Mac can do about that, he can look into finding them a new home now and see what he'd have to package to get it done
3) Schneider trade, Vancouver did not want to deal with us, not his fault
4) He is new to the job, we still have a few weeks to make some trades and all of free agency. I'd rather have a patient GM then one who goes and makes a drastic move in panic. The best GM's sit back and wait for a good opportunity and then pounce.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

It's stupid for people to expect a complete turnaround in only ten weeks. Especially when the draft was only yesterday.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

D- could improve next few weeks.
Organization gets a ...P ...... for being pathetic.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It's stupid for people to expect a complete turnaround in only ten weeks. Especially when the draft was only yesterday.
Not a turn around. But if you can't use one of the biggest days for GMs to do their job to do ONE thing to improve this teams shot at this season it is a concern. All other GMs in one place with draft picks at their higher value and he didn't do nothing. Not earth shattering but it is a concern.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
thinlizzy

Not a happy camper but I will see what he can do over the summer. I think Mac T went into this draft thinking he had all the angles. One huge problem is that Lowe has pissed off so many other GM's it is almost impossible for them to get that taste out of their mouths. As well, very few players want to come to play for the Oilers due to the repeat turmoil in every aspect of the organization.

I think Mac T was so focussed on Coburn that it gave him tunnel vision and he really did not pay enough attention to Bolland, Clutterbuck, etc at the time to get into the mix. He was too busy going back and forth with Holmgren that he probably missed the chance to pitch a deal. I can't believe that they missed Coburn's limited no movement clause in his contract. That is a huge fail in attention to detail.

As someone has stated not many dance partners and Mac T looked a bit pissed and frazzled at the same time during the interview. Finally, people are starting question the long standing scouting staff of this organization. Stu didn't look much better in his interview other then agreeing with the person asking the questions. He didn't come off as very polished to say the least. JMO

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Not a happy camper but I will see what he can do over the summer. I think Mac T went into this draft thinking he had all the angles. One huge problem is that Lowe has pissed off so many other GM's it is almost impossible for them to get that taste out of their mouths. As well, very few players want to come to play for the Oilers due to the repeat turmoil in every aspect of the organization.

I think Mac T was so focussed on Coburn that it gave him tunnel vision and he really did not pay enough attention to Bolland, Clutterbuck, etc at the time to get into the mix. He was too busy going back and forth with Holmgren that he probably missed the chance to pitch a deal. I can't believe that they missed Coburn's limited no movement clause in his contract. That is a huge fail in attention to detail.

As someone has stated not many dance partners and Mac T looked a bit pissed and frazzled at the same time during the interview. Finally, people are starting question the long standing scouting staff of this organization. Stu didn't look much better in his interview other then agreeing with the person asking the questions. He didn't come off as very polished to say the least. JMO
Yep, i'm sure that's the reason why no trades could happen.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Not a turn around. But if you can't use one of the biggest days for GMs to do their job to do ONE thing to improve this teams shot at this season it is a concern. All other GMs in one place with draft picks at their higher value and he didn't do nothing. Not earth shattering but it is a concern.
So you'd rather they give up Paajarvi for Clutterbuck? (Side note, but how much of a pain in the ass is Martin/Clutterbuck going to be?!)

07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
misfit

I'm not too concerned about the lack of trades at this point. The free agent "interview" period and the buyout deadline is really going to have a major impact on what teams are going to do with their rosters, and a lot of things are still up in the air until that period starts/ends. Obviously the draft coming and going removes a lot of the potential trading chips MacTavish has at his disposal, but that doesn't mean he can't make trades. I do think he should've been able to beat the Leafs' offer for Bolland and would've been wise to do so. He's just too perfect a fit for our needs. That was a big dissapointment for me.

As for MacT saying what he wants in the media, that doesn't really bother me either. I mean, if he's talking trades with other GMs (and by the sounds of it, he's talking to everyone), he's going to be talking about what he wants to accomplish with them. So if he's already telling the opposing GMs what he's looking for, what difference does it make if the media and the general public also know?

07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
B+

Great
1) Signing Belov, Mac said he was going to get immediate help, maybe we didn't get it in the draft but Belov will be with the Oilers this year and is an immediate upgrade
2) Not trading for Clutterbuck, I really wanted him but I would not want to have tried to beat the Islanders package.
3) Drafting the 2 Russian guys in the middle rounds. Sounds like those guys are friends and friends with Yakupov. If it was not for the Russian factor those guys would have had a good chance to be first rounders. Even if it is a 50% chance that they come over in 2 years. That is still better odds then other middle round guys have to make the team. And getting them together I would said increases the odds of them coming over

Good
1) Not trading for Kennedy, he's a decent role player but we could find a comparable player in free agency or some team in a cap crunch later who will want to give someone up cheaply, no reason to give up a 2nd rounder for him.
2) Not drafting a goalie, I'd have loved to get Fucale in the second but he went one before us. (not trading up, can't really grade it since we don't know the asking price) The remaining goalies are not any different then the ones we have developing now. I wouldn't want to waste a pick and have 5 instead of 4 developmental goalies that maybe could make the NHL (Hoivenen, Bunz, Roy, and Tiimhoma or however you spell it)
3) Not trading back up for a first, I know some people wanted to trade back up for a 2nd line center type of player, but the asking price likely was way too high. I think only 2 first round trades off the top of my head (18 + 20 swap) and the schneider one. Likely it was not worth the asking price. I know when Feaster (mid round 1st range) was being interviewed after the 2nd pick, he said that there were several offers on the table but they wanted a guy (I assume most picks were that way) so it wasn't for the lack of teams trying to move up just no one wanted to move down.
4) Not overpaying in trades. We want to improve now but there is no reason we should mortgage the future for help now. I think he's seeing some of the issues the previous regime had, we have our young guys that we want to keep and very few other assets that teams are interested in. Would giving up MPS and a high pick be worth it to get Coburn, when we could sign someone like Brewer or someone comparable to around the same amount of money. I'd rather not have us make the trade.

Average
1) New coach, I like that he went out and got a guy that he wanted and a guy with the philosophy he likes. Worst thing is to have a GM and coach with different goals. With that said, I'm not a big fan of the hire since I think he's overrated and a byproduct of the Toronto media coverage.

Bad
1) His interview, yeah he seemed flustered and I think the major reason was they honestly thought either Monahan or Lindholm would be there. When neither were, they were on to plan C and management was split as to exactly what plan C was going to be.

Horrible
1) being too opened mouthed, as fans we love to hear the rumors and I think he is trying to give hope to a fan base that has endured some recent losing. But you do not want to show your cards and he needs to not talk to the media so much

Ungradeable
1) Not trading for Bolland, Chicago supposedly took less to get Bolland where he wanted to be plus it's in the other conference. We have no idea what we would have needed to offer to get it done but I would guess it'd have had to be considerably more.
2) Not moving Hemsky and Horcoff... I'd guess almost no one wants them, Hemsky should have been traded at the 2012 trade deadline and Horcoff became untradeable after he signed that contract; nothing Mac can do about that, he can look into finding them a new home now and see what he'd have to package to get it done
3) Schneider trade, Vancouver did not want to deal with us, not his fault
4) He is new to the job, we still have a few weeks to make some trades and all of free agency. I'd rather have a patient GM then one who goes and makes a drastic move in panic. The best GM's sit back and wait for a good opportunity and then pounce.
I can get behind most of what you said here. It's nice to see someone with thought out arguments instead of OMGFIREMACTHESAWFULRAWR.

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:17 PM
topchowda

Its pretty obvious these GMs want to take advantage of rookie MacT, and rightfully so. Holmgren wanted Smid for Coburn. So now do you blame MacT for not getting him.

MacT should make some deals with some weaker trading GMs like Feaster, Gillis and Snow before jumping in the ring with the big boys

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Can't be overstated that the GIF that MacT inspired here alone is worthy of an A grade.

If he actually does any trades and improves the team that's just gravy at this point.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ive pointed out the good and the bad, as well as the ugly. So far. Which is the subject of the thread. I dont see how that is out of line. Mact made promises he hasnt been able to deliver on. That is pretty plain. The draft was one of the core opportunities for us to fill holes in the lineup. Mact has said there will be turnover of approx eight players in the lineup. So far we have possibly added one in Belov, who is a relative unknown. More unknown than such additions like Strudwick, Foster, Potter, etc.

Ive addressed Belov earlier. We dont know if he addresses a significant need or not at this point. As for Slepyshev and Yakimov, they may or may not ever set foot in NA with the intent to play hockey. As per the bolded, what is it that makes them "great bets"?

Until yesterday Ive never heard of two of them. Houck is decent, but still a big question mark as to whether or not he will ever play a game in the nhl. Personally I would have preferred to address a need with a more promising player such as Jarry or possibly Zykov, who was rated by some as a first round pick.

Talk is cheap and so far that is pretty much all he has done. Despite specifically talking about using the draft and some of our picks to address IMMEDIATE needs on the club, his so called "bold" moves. There was none of that yesterday. Strike one.

I havent been given the opportunity. Give me a couple million dollars (Ill settle for 500k) and a Rolodex with all the gm contact numbers and then you could assess my performance. Of course I wouldnt be foolish enough to broadcast all the moves I planned to make beforehand, but to each his own I guess.

Nobody put a gun to Craig's head telling him to "give us ze information", he volunteered that all on his own, most likely in an attempt to assuage the masses from donning pitchforks and torches and storming the castle. These guys have been in charge more or less for the balance of 10+ years. They really have nobody to blame but themselves for the mess they find themselves in.

No more are they constrained by internal budgets that pale in comparison to their peers. They have a level economic playing field for the most part. As level as its been in the last 25yrs. The time for excuse making is done. We need results. Or gtfo of the way and get someone who is qualified to clean up the mess they have made.
I'm with ya bro. All these excuses r part of the problem. U can pick apart every non-trade and justify not making it. But, we r working on 4 years and at least two dozen non-trades. Either, this organization gets too attached to its players or Klowe has blackballed the team by openly tanking. They haven't made a deal that improved team since Visvovsky. Is that a record?

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Again I get we need results but again, it's been as some posted ten weeks. Off season just began.

So put away the ****ing pitchforks and be a bit more patient.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
He said he was going to do x and instead he did y. Semantics don't change that.
Undoubtedly, he was unsuccessful with what he had hoped and was attempting to do at the draft. I'm not disputing that, merely pointing out that he did do some good things and that not a lot of teams moved much of anything significant. The period of major movement hasn't occurred yet. Teams are trying to mitigate losses under the cap crunch.

Quote:
The KHL is a much different game than the NHL. Not a lot of body contact over there. How many of us had even heard of Belov before the Oilers were reported to be in the running to sign him? He has been sold as a physical guy with a cannon from the point. What he does over here is yet to be seen and any proclamations of slotting in the top four are premature.
Belov has a style well suited to the NA game. He hits hard and frequently punishing the opposition with his physical play. This is needed on the Oilers blueline. He's been likened to Staois, which is a solid NHL defenseman.

Quote:
They are both currently under contract in the khl. Whether or not they come over here is yet to be seen. Even if they do, the minute they find it less than appealing they can always go back to the khl. That is the risk that you sign on for with these players.
They are both under contract for a year. The KHL is a good league, better than the AHL, so it should help their development, making them more NHL ready. Both players have expressed interest, as MacGregor indicated, in coming to play in the NHL. Yes, the could always go to the KHL, but it's no longer simply Russian players leaving the NHL to play in other leagues, and usually players who leave do so because they don't find success in the NHL. Hihgly competitive players usually want to play in the most elite league in the world.

Quote:
Ive heard of both of them and have seen both play, although only in international play/Subway series. Not particularly struck by either of them, but I'm sure they have seen them more than myself as well as live of course. That said we don't have a very good record for finding anything useful outside the first round as Everest has already pointed out.
Here are some picks that I think hold some promise, who were drafted outside of the first round since 2008 (when MacGregor took over as head scout): Hartikainen (6th round), Lander (2nd round), Roy (5th round), Marincin (2nd round), Blain (4th round), Davidson (6th round), Musil (2nd round), Simpson (4th round), Gernat (5th round), Khaira (3rd round), Zharkov (3rd round), and Gustafsson (4th round). I'd suggest that their are some potentially useful NHLers in that bunch.

Quote:
If he agreed, then why did he do it? Either he was stretching the truth in some pr exercise gone wrong or he really believed he could accomplish something significant at the draft. The exact opposite happened. That is significant and should be noted imo.
I don't think it was a PR stunt; I think that it was MacT having a frank and honest discussion with fans about what he wanted to accomplish. I'm not sure why you spin it that way, but it's fine if that's how you see it. I won't convince you otherwise.

Quote:
I believe he had a hand in personnel decisions. We saw that with Renney in Oil Change. I believe they acquired Potter on his recommendation. I cant believe Mactavish never enjoyed the same access. The point being Mactavish had a pretty good kick at the cat already. Eight years. And now he is back for more. Again with zero experience. Im of the opinion that fans should be demanding more from the organization. I think Lowe, Mact and anyone/everyone else associated with them have had MORE than enough time to right the ship.
Potter was acquired on Renney's recommendation, because he had previously played for Renney, iirc.

Quote:
Seven years and counting without even one solitary playoff appearance is more than any fan should have to bear, without significant change, and that means cleaning house, top to bottom. Its time for real change. Not picking out a scapegoat at the end of the year and sacrificing him on the Gretzky statue and pretending that's good enough.
It's been a long stint. However, making trades for the sake of making trades won't improve--and are likely to worsen--the club. Trades usually have to somehow make sense for both sides. Edmonton's trouble, it seems, is that they have a lot of untouchable young talent and a roster with a bottom six that no one really wants. Elite talent vs. quite a few subpar roster players. MacT would have a lot of dance partners, if he decided to move one of the core pieces. The difficulty for MacT is trying to improve without moving core pieces. I'm alright with keeping our core pieces in place, drafting well, and evolving this team. If MacT exhausts all his options first, then I'm okay with moving a core piece or two fill out the roster. We are nearing that time, but I don't want to get burned on it either, and I would rather MacT did what he could to fill out the roster in other ways.

Quote:
In the end we get what we deserve. If we keep buying what these guys are selling then we aren't going to see real change. I'm not buying what they are selling.
Again, we differ. MacT has a hard road ahead of him, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack. I don't doubt his intelligence or commitment to making this a better hockey team. I'm aboard to see this thing through to reap the rewards. I really don't want to see John Davidson-like impatience cost us a key core player. Any player moves need to be intelligently made, improving the club for the present with an eye on the future.

We are very near the end of the rebuilding process. I think that the Oilers will make the playoffs this season under MacT and Eakins, and I would be disappointed if MacT succumbed to fan pressure and dealt any of our core players to get there, when with a little bit more patience, we can have our cake and eat it too.

Help on defense is arriving from our system: Klefbom, Marincin, and Fedun this coming season and Nurse, Gernat, and possibly one or two of Simpson, Blain, and/or Davidson the following season. With that stockpile of capable d-men, MacTavish can begin to interest other GMs in some deals.

MacT has a hard road ahead of him, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack 10 weeks in. I don't doubt his intelligence or commitment to making this a better hockey team.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Again I get we need results but again, it's been as some posted ten weeks. Off season just began.

So put away the ****ing pitchforks and be a bit more patient.
I think many r overreacting to the criticism. We r not saying Mact needs to be fired. We r saying his goal of acquiring an NHL player at the draft was not realized and, therefore a fail. That is all.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
I think many r overreacting to the criticism. We r not saying Mact needs to be fired. We r saying his goal of acquiring an NHL player at the draft was not realized and, therefore a fail. That is all.
That's fair, but it's also fair to say that not all that much really happened at the draft, and not much that would have really helped us at the asking price. No trade is better than a dumb trade, at least it doesn't set you back. Adding significantly to the prospect cupboard is smart.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Sheikyerbouti

IMO, it's too early to tell.

MacT regime has shown difference in philosophies from the previous regime by letting the scouts pick BPA, and placing an emphasis on development over winning at the AHL level. I think that's a positive

Negatively, he's looked green as hell in interviews. Announcing Horc and Hemmer were gone before they were gone, and making bold promises before he understood the market, is the type of hubris that had plagued the Oilers in the Lowe area.

Other than Coburn the major rumours involving the Oil were about Clutterbuck and Schneider, whom under no circumstance were being traded to Edmonton, so I question if all this trade talk MacT was having was useful (certainly not fruitful)

It's concerning to me that on a team with little 'tradeable' assets other than draft picks and franchise players, we are now trying to rebuild the roster through UFA after trading for more draft picks. That's more of the same and something MacT said he would avoid. McKenzie said MacT would be happy not drafting at all, so we are very obviously already onto plan B

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Trade talks are going to heat up for Horc and Hemmer at some point, probably after the UFAs go. I think everyone was jumping the gun a little with anticipation for draft day, myself included. Deals will happen over time. We should know from past experience how slow the trade process is. Besides the non-existent trades, I do think the draft--when viewed strictly as a draft--was a success.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:00 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I'll wait training camp starts. If any of Hemsky, Horcoff, or Belanger are on this roster. Then he failed. Then I'll wait until the end of the season to assess again.
That's a pretty big order. I think you better be prepared to be disappointed.
Belanger may be easy enough to get rid of, but Horc and Hemsky will be tough to move.

-------------------------------

Regarding MacT's performance ... seems a bit premature to be grading him long before he's had the chance to assemble even one opening day roster.

So far I think his biggest mistakes were coming out with the comments about Horcoff and Hemsky. The "broken spirit" comments were odd and probably made an already difficult to move player even harder to trade. I cannot see any GM in this league trading anything for Horcoff. Its gotta be as close to an unmoveable deal as you can find in the NHL. No choice but to buy him out and I hope MacT will lobby Katz to agree to that. Knowing how MacT and Katz love Horc though I fully expect to see him "captaining" this team when the puck drops in September. If MacT is somehow able to get rid of Horc that will be a miracle the likes of which we haven't seen Lowe fleeced the Blues.

Firing Krueger was a big move. The accolades/criticism from that decision will now fall on his shoulders. In that respect I'm glad Eakins was hired because now nobody can turn around and say the head coach was Tamby's hire.

I'm not super excited that MacT is the GM, but I'm going to give him a season before I participate in any fire MacT threads.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I remember the comments as well about "giving the scouts the day off"(paraphrased).

Is it confirmed that MacT actually said that... or just inferred by the "fact" that MacT was apparently in on so many trade deals/conversations?

Anyway... then comes time for the actual draft and he makes the scouts work harder than they have in years and they end up picking 10 flavours of ice cream when they thought they'd just have a take the Chocolate Sundae with the cherry on top and call it a day.

So yes, obviously the team went from plan A to B to C and maybe even X, Y, Z when they realized all the conversations they were having weren't actually going to lead to any deals for any roster players.

I'm sure I also read a comment that MacT himself said he was making a lot of phone calls... probably too many by his own estimation.

To me it sounds like he's a really eager beaver... keen as mustard to get right in there and "right the ship" that Tambo scuttled.

I'm sure he has lots of ideas and an overall solid philosophy on what "should" be done... but he's also had literally just a few weeks of experience as a GM and likely quickly learning (like anyone new to a job) that it's not as easy as they first thought it might be.

Some of those crusty, "streetwise" GM's have been in this business for many years... and in some cases... decades... and they very likely know the lay of the land in the NHL much better and the values of assets and picks more precisely than MacT does as well.

Steals and great deals are few and far between.

I'm sure MacT knew it wasn't going to be as easy as unscrewing 8 old, blown lightbulbs and replacing them with fancy new fluorescent models... more efficient, economical and better in every way... but he probably didn't realize the price was so much higher than those older models and it turns out there was a very limited availability of those better models as well... plus EVERYONE else seems to want them.

Turns out it's still pretty dark in MacT's Olde Trading Shoppe after the draft.

Luckily the days are long in Edmonton in the summer so there's still time to get things shining more brightly before the start of another long winter ahead... days are already getting shorter though and the clock is ticking... WINTER IS COMING.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
That's fair, but it's also fair to say that not all that much really happened at the draft, and not much that would have really helped us at the asking price. No trade is better than a dumb trade, at least it doesn't set you back. Adding significantly to the prospect cupboard is smart.
U r right. That is also fair.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Blain was never offered a contract.

He is no longer Oiler property.

Also trade talks are never going to heat up for Hemsky and Horcoff. We will be lucky to find someone to take them off our hands without us having to eat half their salary or buy them out altogether.

Mactavish isnt "cleaning up" Tambellini's mess. Tambellini laid the foundation for this team. He got rid of a large pile of what seems like never-ending junk. The mess was always Kevin Lowe's, but somehow he is still making player personnel decisions on this team and Tambellini is unemployed.

Shows how badly dysfunctional the organization is.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote