HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Miller+ for Simmonds.
Sign a top 9 center
Stafford for top-4 veteran defenseman.
Call it an offseason.

I'll do a line up:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Foligino-XXX-Ennis
Leino-Grigs-Simmonds
Ott-Porter-Scott/Larsson
Larsson has a legit shot, too. Perhaps he takes Grigs/Scott/Porter spot. He'll likely be the first call up when injuries hit.

Ehrhoff-Myers
XXX-Pysyk
Weber-Mcnabb

Enroth/Hackett/Veteran UFA
Not going to get Simmonds for Miller

dont forget Armia
Dont need a top 4 Dman.
Risto can start right away.

zero interest in a vet goalie as a UFA. First off there is nobody out there I would care to want. The only way they get a vet goalie is in a swap for Miller like Miller for halak/Hiller + something else.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Djp

My lineup projections:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigorenko-Armia
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Foligno-Flynn
Scott
Tropp, Porter, Adam, Gerbe are battling for the final spot.

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Myers-Weber
Ruhwedel-McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth

I do believe Miller gets traded. IfMiller is dealt then Leggio gets a shot. Vanek possibly gets dealt...Today they can start negotiations with him and see where they stand.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
My lineup projections:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigorenko-Armia
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Foligno-Flynn
Scott

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Myers-Weber
Ruhwedel-McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth

I do believe Miller gets traded. IfMiller is dealt then Leggio gets a shot. Vanek possibly gets dealt...Today they can start negotiations with him and see where they stand.
I don't see the point of keeping Risto as the 7th. As our top pick, I want him playing lots of hockey and developing correctly. I'd prefer it if he stayed overseas for this year if he's not cracking our top 6.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
My lineup projections:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigorenko-Armia
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Foligno-Flynn
Scott

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Myers-Weber
Ruhwedel-McBain
Ristolainen

Miller
Enroth

I like the offensive lines. I still think a 2/3 center is needed, and I'm not sure Armia will be ready for NHL play at the start of the season.

I don't like the defensive pairings. Too much youth. Too much blah. There's a need for a veteran defenseman.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Prospector74

Anyone want to claim Ballard off waivers? 2 years at $4.2M wouldn't kill us, would give the kids a little less pressure, and he could be moved at the deadline 2 seasons from now if we're not competitive.

Djp posted about this in the Ballard thread on the main boards but I didn't see it here so throwing it in for comment.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Anyone want to claim Ballard off waivers? 2 years at $4.2M wouldn't kill us, would give the kids a little less pressure, and he could be moved at the deadline 2 seasons from now if we're not competitive.

Djp posted about this in the Ballard thread on the main boards but I didn't see it here so throwing it in for comment.
I'm not against it, especially if they're dumping other high-priced players.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
McTank

Quote:

Wouldnt be a bad move, even if he's just a 7. I think I'd rather sign Lydman and let the kids fill out the lineup but ballard might be better than McBain

Old
07-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't see much more movement, aside from a possible Miller trade. Up front I expect Vanek to at least start the season in Buffalo, Leino to be healthy, Armia to go to Rochester for a year, Grigorenko to stay and learn/struggle on the fly (protected by playing with vets), Larsson to make the team and allows Ennis to move to LW, and Flynn, Kaleta, and Tropp to revolve around the bottom two RW spots. Scott will fill in as necessary.

On defense Ristolainen will make the team, forcing Ruhwedel to Rochester. McBain and McNabb will take turns with Ristolainen as healthy scratches. Pardy or maybe another vet LHD is signed on a two-way deal for a call-up option.

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Ennis-Larsson-Flynn
Foligno-Porter-Kaleta
Scott, Tropp

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
McNabb-Pysyk
McBain, Pardy?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

If we deal both Miller and Vanek, we'll be about $7M under the cap floor. Which is probably more than we'll spend on RFAs. So some FA or waiver claim is definitely in order.

I don't know if Ballard is the guy. Ideally, you want someone with strong work ethic, leadership skills, and a positive mentor figure all around.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I don't know if Ballard is the guy. Ideally, you want someone with strong work ethic, leadership skills, and a positive mentor figure all around.
Don't know too much about off ice performance/work ethic. What is the story on him in those areas?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

At 2 years the contract is meaningless. If we deal Vanek + Miller and consider dealing anyone else (e.g. Stafford) we need veteran contracts just to make sure we're over the floor.

As to the player himself, I'm not that hot on the idea. If we're going to add a guy I'd prefer it be one with a different style or one who's a better fit as a veteran.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Capslock17
McDavdian

So, we gonna sign anybody in FA, or what?

I was hoping they'd go after Horton years ago, but what are the odds they take a run at him now that he's going to "test the market"?

Also, any chance Briere comes back?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

I hope not. Why would we waste roster spots on old men and further stop us from tanking when we could let our young guys play and have them grow together.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Rhett4
Where my coach at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
I hope not. Why would we waste roster spots on old men and further stop us from tanking when we could let our young guys play and have them grow together.
Vets add stability and leadership to a team. You can't just ice a bunch of 20-year-olds and say, "Well, we want to suck, so this helps us." Adding someone (for no assets) to your roster doesn't make your rebuild worse.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Vets add stability and leadership to a team. You can't just ice a bunch of 20-year-olds and say, "Well, we want to suck, so this helps us." Adding someone (for no assets) to your roster doesn't make your rebuild worse.
It takes away a spot on the ice. There is no one on the market worth bringing in, theres a reason why these players are being bought out and let me put it this way, they are over the hill.

We have leadership in Ott, Vanek and Stafford if they stay.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Isn't the cap floor supposed to be 44 mil next season? With the roster I listed above (but with Vanek and Miller replaced by min contracts) the cap hit should total 45-46 mil.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Also, unless Vanek, Stafford, Leino, or anyone gets traded there isn't room for a UFA signing. I don't see the need if it's just to slot players in the line-up correctly, because those players are already there. If a long-term player wants to sign (maybe Filppula is all I can think, but I still wouldn't want him) then sure.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Rhett4
Where my coach at?

Quote:
It takes away a spot on the ice. There is no one on the market worth bringing in, theres a reason why these players are being bought out and let me put it this way, they are over the hill.

Chances are that the players that would be in that spot would probably be better off with another year of seasoning in juniors or the AHL anyway. Signing someone to fill a hole doesn't leave all your poor prospects out in the dark. In fact, it means you're not rushing them and icing 9 rookies, which is a good thing. Plus, injuries inevitably lead to call ups anyway. I don't think playing time for our young guys is going to be an issue...at all.

I imagine Darcy makes two depth signings in the next 10 days...nothing flashy, just some stability.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Chances are that the players that would be in that spot would probably be better off with another year of seasoning in juniors or the AHL anyway. Signing someone to fill a hole doesn't leave all your poor prospects out in the dark. In fact, it means you're not rushing them and icing 9 rookies, which is a good thing. Plus, injuries inevitably lead to call ups anyway. I don't think playing time for our young guys is going to be an issue...at all.

I imagine Darcy makes two depth signings in the next 10 days...nothing flashy, just some stability.
Why would I want to see a Sabres team of over the hill players. I rather watch the young kids progress. You seem to act like Buffalo is making a run to the playoffs so add thru free agency around them. I don't think playoffs should be in anyone's mind next year or the year after. Vanek and Stafford will both be here til trade deadline most likely. Unless they get traded there is NO need for anyone thru free agency to take up a spot.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Rhett4
Where my coach at?

Quote:
Why would I want to see a Sabres team of over the hill players. I rather watch the young kids progress. You seem to act like Buffalo is making a run to the playoffs so add thru free agency around them. I don't think playoffs should be in anyone's mind next year or the year after.
You're clearly not understanding my point, so there's no use in belaboring it. Carry on.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:55 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Why would I want to see a Sabres team of over the hill players. I rather watch the young kids progress. You seem to act like Buffalo is making a run to the playoffs so add thru free agency around them. I don't think playoffs should be in anyone's mind next year or the year after.
Presuming we deal Miller and Vanek, we have to sign some veterans just to get to the cap floor, so get over it.

Trust me, a bottom 3 finish is my #1 goal for next year, but I still think the right veteran can be really invaluable to the rebuild. These guys are top prospects because they learned how to play the junior game extremely well. That test is over now. The NHL is a different animal. Coaches can do a lot, but having an older player who is smart, confident and technically sound to observe can be invaluable. I want to say especially because our head coach is an NHL rookie, too.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

what have they been waitin for?

Old
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
You're clearly not understanding my point, so there's no use in belaboring it. Carry on.
no I totally get what your saying, season the kids in the AHL for another year but what I don't understand is what do you expect to accomplish by signing some washed up over the hill player for a a year or two? just to fill spots when you can have the kids in those spots ACTUALLY playing in the NHL and learning.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
no I totally get what your saying, season the kids in the AHL for another year but what I don't understand is what do you expect to accomplish by signing some washed up over the hill player for a a year or two? just to fill spots when you can have the kids in those spots ACTUALLY playing in the NHL and learning.
proper roster construction, role distribution, and leadership for a young team

not having a vet "over the hill" 3rd line center last year forced Ennis into a role he was ill suited for. that's not good for his development.

a lack of veteran 2 way forwards throughout the lineup hurt guys like Hodgson whose defensive games are not developed enough to carry the load night to night.

with the trade of sekera, we will have multiple rookie defensemen stepping in to starting roles... it would be good to add some veteran depth to ease the transition so that we don't have to pair 2 rookies together.

there are a lot of reasons... think about it

Old
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Believe it or not, rushing prospects to the NHL is not necessarily the best way to develop them.

Closed Thread