HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Laforge on 930 CJCA

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 07:27 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Patrick Laforge on 930 CJCA

I listened to the interview yesterday and he was optimistic that Edmonton was a strong candidate for the 2006 IIHF WJC.

Another thing of note is that he said that Edmonton was moving in the direction of getting another WHL team. He said there is nothing concrete going on, but discussions take place regularly.

What do you think about WHL coming back?

Do you think that the Agricom is a good enough venue for a WHL team?

Well, tell you this...if I win the Super 7 on Friday, I will invest in bringing a WHL team back.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
If there is a new WHL team to come to Edmonton they need to have an arrangment with the Oilers/Rexall place like the Flames&Hitmen do with the Saddledome.

Good lord, the WHL can work in this town but put it in a good facility and share the same marketing departments for pete's sake! Some cross promoting would go a long way.

I've got my fingers crossed BIG TIME! That's a job with my name all over it.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:52 AM
barto

Good luck, Guy, although it seemed to me that you had some good momentum going on the Oilers front!

If Edmonton does get another WHL franchise, it would definitely be with the Oilers' blessing, if not investment. Last time (the Ice) there was pretty much zero interest from the Oilers organization in helping out the junior team as I recall, which was frustrating for those of us who wanted to see the team(s) succeed here.

I heard Laforge on the TEAM 1260 but didn't hear him say anything about another WHL franchise, so thanks for passing on that little tidbit!

Bart

Old
01-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Oilhitch

I wouild love to have a WHL team in Edmonton again. I was not happy when the Ice moved. Im surpried that Edmonton hasnt tried to get a team in the past year. It would be huge if there is a strike next year.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I wouild love to have a WHL team in Edmonton again. I was not happy when the Ice moved. Im surpried that Edmonton hasnt tried to get a team in the past year. It would be huge if there is a strike next year.
There's supposed to be a new 10,000 or so seat rink being put in at WEM in the next few years as part of the next phase of development, this is where the rumored junior team would end up, or so I have heard in past discussions.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
There's supposed to be a new 10,000 or so seat rink being put in at WEM in the next few years as part of the next phase of development, this is where the rumored junior team would end up, or so I have heard in past discussions.

That's the first I've heard of that, not that I'd doubting you. Any links that explain more what that scenario would look like? Where the heck would they put it? Can you imagine the traffic problems? Especially in November and December???

Why wouldn't they just share Rexall Place? Wouldn't that just make sense?

Old
01-07-2004, 01:18 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
That's the first I've heard of that, not that I'd doubting you. Any links that explain more what that scenario would look like? Where the heck would they put it? Can you imagine the traffic problems? Especially in November and December???

It was definitely reported at the time that WEM submitted their plans, as they were asking for some rezoning (again) for that and some other ideas they had. Not sure how far along those plans are, if at all, but it was definitely proposed. Unfortunately my failing memory means that I can't recall where on the site they had proposed putting it, but yeah, traffic could be pretty crazy. Still, it's pretty bad around Rexall before & after games - could it be any worse around WEM??? (yes, I guess it could)

Bart

Old
01-07-2004, 01:18 PM
The Rage

Quote:

I hear reports of that as well, in the Edmonton Journal (although I think 10,000 seating capacity was not what was said--it was less than that). As for Rexall, the arena is too big for junior hockey.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I hear reports of that as well, in the Edmonton Journal (although I think 10,000 seating capacity was not what was said--it was less than that). As for Rexall, the arena is too big for junior hockey.
It works in Calgary. They only use the lower bowl.

Traffic would be even worse because the Mall is a tourist trap (Rexall isn't) plus can you imagine the congestion around Christmas time!?! Those of you who don't live here can't imagine how busy traffic is around the country's biggest mall when everyone and their dog is Christmas shopping.

How long ago did these plans get announced?

Old
01-07-2004, 01:37 PM
The Rage

Quote:

Traffic would be even worse because the Mall is a tourist trap (Rexall isn't) plus can you imagine the congestion around Christmas time!?! Those of you who don't live here can't imagine how busy traffic is around the country's biggest mall when everyone and their dog is Christmas shopping.

I guess they could only use the lower bowl, but I think that would still be a bad thing (it would definately take away from the atmosphere). I mean, for Argos games, they only use the lower bowl, and that stadium is still far from a great place to see a game (I know there are also other issues at work).

As far as traffic goes, you're right, it would be a problem. I can't explain that, but I do know that such a thing is planned. I think the plans were announced 6 months to a year ago.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:57 PM
The Rage

Here it is: http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0103/page7_update.html

8,000 seat arena.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I guess they could only use the lower bowl, but I think that would still be a bad thing (it would definately take away from the atmosphere). I mean, for Argos games, they only use the lower bowl, and that stadium is still far from a great place to see a game (I know there are also other issues at work).
Financially it should take some money pressure off the Oilers to have another tennant paying some of the bills you would think.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:25 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Financially it should take some money pressure off the Oilers to have another tennant paying some of the bills you would think.
From the Oiler's perspective, I guess having the junior team at skyreach would be a good thing. But who knows if the team playing at WEM will be owned by the Oilers? Certainly if a non-Oilers owner had control of the team, Skyreach would not be a great place (the Drillers found that out).

Old
01-07-2004, 06:13 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
it would be better if the second team played in the Rexall Place. The reason being is not only shared costs but also a double income for the stadium itself, repairs and upgrades for the stadium would become quicker as there are two regular fixtures.

Also like Guy said it makes more sense to share the admin departments since that is another cost reduction thus giving this second franchise the chance to suceed financially due to lower fixed costs.

Old
01-08-2004, 03:47 AM
oilerdynasty

Quote:

Sorry, I have to call BS on you on that one. I've been to Hitmen games and they use every seat in the building, upper and lower bowls.

As for West Ed. That is a pipe dream of the Ghermezians (sp?). They need a rink like another hole in the head and the taxpayers have already been on the hook for enough of that mess. Let them work on some more parkades.

For the "you heard it hear first", the Tri-City Americans will be on the move here.

Old
01-08-2004, 03:49 AM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
If there is a new WHL team to come to Edmonton they need to have an arrangment with the Oilers/Rexall place like the Flames&Hitmen do with the Saddledome.

Good lord, the WHL can work in this town but put it in a good facility and share the same marketing departments for pete's sake! Some cross promoting would go a long way.

I've got my fingers crossed BIG TIME! That's a job with my name all over it.
Absolutely right, the Tri-City Americans (Edmonton Canadians) will have to have a working agreement with the Oilers. And the Oilers wouldn't hurt by having extra dates in Rexall.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:35 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Am i correct in assuming that the Edmonton Investors Group owns both Rexall Place and the Edmonton Oilers ?

Old
01-08-2004, 05:01 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
Am i correct in assuming that the Edmonton Investors Group owns both Rexall Place and the Edmonton Oilers ?
Altho the Oilers get revenue from Rexall for 'the name', Northlands owns the property.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:48 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Altho the Oilers get revenue from Rexall for 'the name', Northlands owns the property.
Right - the Oilers get to play there for...what $1 a year or something? And I believe they get concession and parking revenue for their games, plus the naming rights. Northlands gets everything else - rock concerts, figure skating championships, etc.

That sweet lease deal for the Oilers is up this year, isn't it? It seemed to me they worked out the end date on it to be the same as the end of the current CBA, so that if there wasn't a favorable change to the CBA, the Oilers would essentially 'go away' (move, fold, whatever) with no lease deal hanging around. But (I assume) if there WAS a favorable CBA, then the Oilers would be expected to pay something more reasonable for playing at Rexall. And if you really want to get dreamy, there could even be talk of a new arena for the Oilers IF there's a good enough CBA to warrant a long-term commitment like that... <sigh>

Bart

Old
01-08-2004, 06:53 AM
barto

Quote:

Yeah, but those issues can be mitigated to some degree. There could be very few home games scheduled around Christmas, for starters.

I guess for traffic I was thinking of a couple of things. First of all, there are DOZENS of different exits you could take to get away from The Mall, unlike the Agricom parking lot.

Second, the expectation would probably be that not everyone would be in as much of a hurry to leave right away, but to stay and shop (depending on the time) or go for a drink at one of the many lounges, etc.

Come to think of it, for evening games, most stores would be closed before the game would be over, so getting OUT would be fairly easy. It would be harder to find parking BEFORE the game, while there were still shoppers around.

The big Christmas rush is really only 2-3 weeks out of the year, though - the rest of the time it wouldn't be all that bad, IMO. But I guess we'll see...I think it would make more sense logistically (and probably financially) for a WHL and NHL team to share the same facility, but something *could* work with a different facility like a new one at WEM as well.

Bart

Old
01-08-2004, 07:06 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I have the answer! Build a 18,000 seater in WEM! Then the Oilers and the WHL could play there

That would be pretty cool. Go to Tony Roma's or somewhere for supper, then walk across some part of the mall, go to the Oiler game, then go to hooters or something after the game for drinks! That would seriously kick ass!!!

Old
01-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdynasty
Sorry, I have to call BS on you on that one. I've been to Hitmen games and they use every seat in the building, upper and lower bowls.

For the "you heard it hear first", the Tri-City Americans will be on the move here.
Been down to CGY twice this year (Hitmen VS Portland Winterhawks and WHL VS Russia) and both games only the lower bowl was used.

The bit about Tri-Cities... is that specualtion or do you have inside knowledge? Is it public knowledge? I'd like to learn more about it. Somewhere I thought I read that it was Prince Albert?

Old
01-08-2004, 09:08 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I have the answer! Build a 18,000 seater in WEM! Then the Oilers and the WHL could play there
That would be fun IF as part as the process they Do The Right Thing and get the damn LRT to go there. Even Vancouver figured out the need to get to Lougheed Mall.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Obsessed

They should put it somewhere close to the new Anthony Henday. That way you can use Yellowhead, Whitemud or A.H to get to the game rather than packing onto W.Gretzky for 30 min or rerouting through downtown( from the south) its seriously inconvenient with all the BS on the Cap bridge and all. Hell why dont they build a 18,000 seater closer to the airport? Lots of room out that way...?

Old
01-08-2004, 03:06 PM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
Been down to CGY twice this year (Hitmen VS Portland Winterhawks and WHL VS Russia) and both games only the lower bowl was used.

The bit about Tri-Cities... is that specualtion or do you have inside knowledge? Is it public knowledge? I'd like to learn more about it. Somewhere I thought I read that it was Prince Albert?
That would be a change over last year then, sat in the "upper deck" in Calgary when I saw my cousin with the Raiders play the Hitmen. Going to miss he Giants there this year though.

What I can tell you about PA or Tri-City is speculation based on some facts.

PA:Community owned, loses money hand over fist, won't sell the Raiders in a million years no matter what.

TC:Attendene isn't strong. Owners include Brian Burke and one Glen Sather. It is the least secure franchise in the WHL.

Closed Thread