HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

vCash: 500
Updated Earthcam Pics

June 30th:

June 29th

Old
07-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Crease

Quarantining the cement floor. I suppose they're going to be ripping it up from inside the tent to avoid getting debris everywhere?

Old
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Ready4show

Much like the design of the Roman Coliseum, MSG IV Architect Charles Luckman utilized an oval shape for the original Loge, First & Second Promenade seating tiers. This configuration along with the multipurpose nature of the event floor resulted in the compromise of patron sightlines, especially for Hockey.

The rink is basically a rectangle situated inside of a 9’ high oval bulkhead wall that surrounds the MSG event floor (Bud & Bud Light signs are affixed to this bulkhead in the corners). The dimension from the dasher boards to bulkhead wall is approx. 26’ on the center ice axis. While the 9’ high bulkhead wall causes no visual obstructions at center ice, this is not the case in the corners where the bulkhead wall curves inward and closer to the dasher boards. The B to B distance shrinks to approx. 14’ on the corner axis resulting in a view of the Hockey rink that is eclipsed by the bulkhead wall in all corners of the rink.

This is why player benches, five rows of seating and a cross aisle fit within the B to B space at center ice while fewer seating rows fit between B to B in the corners. Just because the number of seating rows diminish as you get closer to the corner does not mean that the sightlines will work. It is the head of the patron seated in the front row (either actual or phantom) that you ultimately have to be able to see over. Long story short is that the innermost bulkhead wall is too high and situated too close to the rink corners.

Similar configurations exist at the LA Forum (another Luckman design). The same is also true of the Rosebowl in Pasadena, CA, although on a larger stadium scale. Again, the playing area (Soccer) cuts into the seating area resulting in obstructed sightlines in the corners.

The only way the Garden could have addressed this issue during the renovation would have been to either gut the entire cylindrical structure from 5Th floor up and start from scratch with a more traditional seating configuration such as Boston, NJ, etc. or by raising the playing floor elevation about 3’ so that better sightlines could be achieved in the corners. (Same end result as lowering height of bulkhead wall by 3'). Either scenario however, would come with some big negatives. Gutting the entire building would have resulted in a full closure for a prolonged period forcing NYR & NYK play elsewhere for at least one year while raising the floor would have negatively impacted the seating capacity on the temporary fill risers extended for events other than Hockey.

But what did we expect for a Billion dollars?

Old
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
June 30th:

June 29th

Right now the pics of the bridges under construction reminds me of a dividing wall that will seperate the rich lower bowl season ticket holders from the lowly poor single game ticket holders & will allow us to not be able to see the people below us.

Just how I see it today. Might be diffrent looking when it's done.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3133
Wasn't the ceiling/roof going to be raised higher up?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
07-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Wasn't the ceiling/roof going to be raised higher up?
I have heard a few people mention that, I don't remember that ever being in the renovation. I know they replaced the roof, it was detailed on the MSG renovation series. I don't think they rasied it.

I thought that the lower bowl was suppossed to be angled higher like the upper bowl. That's not somthing that happened either.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:36 PM
ratdog07067

Maybe they were talking about raising the ceilings in the concourses? I remember seeing something about phase 3 including a restoration of the ceiling.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog07067 View Post
Maybe they were talking about raising the ceilings in the concourses? I remember seeing something about phase 3 including a restoration of the ceiling.
The concourses need to be wider, not higher.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The concourses need to be wider, not higher.
Yeah, if only they could lower them 3 feet and make them 3 feet wider. that would be huge. lol

Old
07-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, if only they could lower them 3 feet and make them 3 feet wider. that would be huge. lol
Something tells me we're stuck with them--god forbid the Garden ever has an emergency in the middle of an event.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Something tells me we're stuck with them--god forbid the Garden ever has an emergency in the middle of an event.
I actually wondered how the new MSG (upper concourse specifically) is actually code compliant. I could see hundreds being trampled to death easy.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:37 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
I actually wondered how the new MSG (upper concourse specifically) is actually code compliant. I could see hundreds being trampled to death easy.
There are exit stairs at the top

Old
07-01-2013, 09:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
There are exit stairs at the top
Yeah, I get that there are stairs. But the areas between the exits are quite narrow and cram packed with fans. Stairs or not, if there's a fire or other emergency it will not be pretty. There's just too many people in too small a space.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Yeah, I get that there are stairs. But the areas between the exits are quite narrow and cram packed with fans. Stairs or not, if there's a fire or other emergency it will not be pretty. There's just too many people in too small a space.
It will probably be just as crammed as any given section. If there are two bridges—both with 500—and the people split up on each bridge going in different directions with the exits, you will only have 250 people.

Leaving the Garden is already a *****. I can't see it getting much worse if there's an emergency.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
It will probably be just as crammed as any given section. If there are two bridges—both with 500—and the people split up on each bridge going in different directions with the exits, you will only have 250 people.

Leaving the Garden is already a *****. I can't see it getting much worse if there's an emergency.
There's a big difference between leaving after a game and during an emergency. People panic.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
There's a big difference between leaving after a game and during an emergency. People panic.
True, but it will probably be proportionally just as bad as every other section as it would be during a non-emergency.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Sorry, I was referring to the concourses outside the upper bowl...not the fan bridges. But those could be crowded too.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

Quote:
Sorry, I was referring to the concourses outside the upper bowl...not the fan bridges. But those could be crowded too.
Oh. I posted this a while ago, I think. It probably took me about a half hour to leave the Garden, sitting in the upper 200s. Those staircases are way too small.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

When can we expect the unveiling of the new jumbotron?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
When can we expect the unveiling of the new jumbotron?
Probably when it's back in stock on Amazon.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM
ratdog07067

Walked by Penn/MSG yesterday. There's not much to see in the lobby area as everything is completely boarded up. I did notice a little gap in the sheet covering the window of the north side entrance to the suites. Managed to stick my phone up to the glass and got this pic. Looks like everything is really being torn up -

Old
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
coatjones
Debauchery #1

Send a message via AIM to coatjones
This might sound naive, but the walls in the upper concourse behind the food venues look temporary. Either that or they look shoddy. Hopefully they weren't completely finished. OR they heard the complaints from how tight it was and do something about it.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatjones View Post
This might sound naive, but the walls in the upper concourse behind the food venues look temporary. Either that or they look shoddy. Hopefully they weren't completely finished. OR they heard the complaints from how tight it was and do something about it.
That whole concourse is supposed to be extended to the outer wall, with windows here and there to the outside

Old
07-06-2013, 08:22 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4show View Post
scenario however, would come with some big negatives. Gutting the entire building would have resulted in a full closure for a prolonged period forcing NYR & NYK play elsewhere for at least one year while raising the floor would have negatively impacted the seating capacity on the temporary fill risers extended for events other than Hockey.

But what did we expect for a Billion dollars?
How would a thing like that infected the ice quality?

Last edited by fredrikstad: 07-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
07-06-2013, 09:45 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
How would a thing like that infected the ice quality?
It depends if we're talking bird flu, spanish flu, or ebola

Closed Thread