HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers Free Agency Targets 2013- Bold Moves?

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 09:27 PM
rasarhdasd

vCash: 500
I think we should be looking for someone to play with Petry on the 1st pairing, not J.Schultz. He's amazing offensively, but Petry is better suited for the tougher match-ups.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

I really don't think Horton and Clarkson will be very good fits for the team considering they'd slot into 3rd line RW. At their price, it's just not a very good investment. I'd like for the Oilers to trade for one of Nick Foglino, Shawn Matthias, Steve Ott, and Milan Michalek. They would add size to our top 6 and probably wouldn't cost much in a trade.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:32 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
I have a feeling a few of the unsigned UFA Oilers may find their way back onto the team when MacT discovers the trade and UFA market isn't quite as accommodating as he thought it might be.

Hopefully it works out better than that and they do manage to fill some of the many holes in the roster with good replacements... but it's probably unrealistic to think they can upgrade the bottom 6, get a decent backup AND improve the D with the assets they have to work with.

By far their biggest asset is the Katz checkbook... but even that can only do so much when 29 other teams are fighting for the same types of players and many of those teams are more appealing for various reasons already talked about at length (location, more competitive teams etc).

Old
07-01-2013, 09:43 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Go after Ference, Stalberg and Bozak in free agency
Then trade Hemsky + prospects/picks for Smith and Greening

Hall/Gagner/Yakupov
_____/RNH/Eberle
PRV/Bozak/Stalberg
Greening/Smith/Brown

Smid/Petry
N.Schultz/J.Schultz
Ference/Belov
Klefbom

Defense is still pretty weak but the bottom six is revamped with minimal moves

Old
07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
BestWestern

Jeremiah Jones: Fair enough, I wasn't really projecting Short term, more so long term. I think eventually Schultz will be a #1 RD and Petry #2 RD. I see Smid as a #2 LD. Therefore, in the long run, you're looking for a partner for Schultz, not Petry. Even if in the short run, this D man plays top pairing with petty, not Schultz.

Trafalgar Law:

Steve Ott is not a top 6 forward. Milan Michalek is a #1LW in Ottawa, meaning that he is more likely valued higher there, than here. Ottawa would most likely be unreasonable in their demands. I see Shawn Matthias as a 3LW/C trending upward, but may be a few years away from top 6 minutes/production. Interesting player though. Foglino is my guy though. #2LW (behind Gaborik), and checks off all the boxes we need to see out of a PWF top 6 winger.

Next to the moon:

I could see Jones back at a lower cap hit on the 4L. Other than that I don't see who else they could bring back.

Old
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestWestern View Post
armhandh01:

I really do hope we can move those players with some salary retention, but I don't think it would be wise to make this year our "spending" year. New contracts for Schultz, Yak, and Nuge are on the horizon. I wouldn't mind Horc playing out the year and getting traded at the deadline (if we're out of it) or after the season and freeing up money next summer for the extensions. That way, we don't have to rush and fill a centre spot this offseason, and can give prospects another year to develop.

I have a feeling that N. Schultz with some salary retention could be part of a 3 for 1 trade:

remember:

Brewer, Woywitka, 1st for Pronger?

what about:

N. Schultz (25% Retention), 1st, PRV for Tyutin?
That was not the exact trade and I would NOT give that much for Tyutin.

Last edited by Oilwings: 07-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
TransJenner

I sort of hope Oilers get Antropov, apparently despite being slow he moves intelligently and is really good along the boards. Even if they turn him into a winger. On top of being huge.

Players I really want are: Wiess, Antropov, Stalberg, Clarkson, Gordon or Lapierre, Smith for 3C.

Last edited by TransJenner: 07-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 400
I'd be alright with 2-3 of this list
Chipchura , MacAurther, Nystrom, Lovejoy , Hainsey, Lapierre , Griess ,Adam Hall , Cooke ( I just throw up in my mouth ) Scuderi , Weiss ( if on the cheap & 1 or 2 year deal ) , Stalberg

Old
07-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Craig MacAtaracts
Visually...

vCash: 855
Quote:
armhandh01:

I really do hope we can move those players with some salary retention, but I don't think it would be wise to make this year our "spending" year. New contracts for Schultz, Yak, and Nuge are on the horizon. I wouldn't mind Horc playing out the year and getting traded at the deadline (if we're out of it) or after the season and freeing up money next summer for the extensions. That way, we don't have to rush and fill a centre spot this offseason, and can give prospects another year to develop.

I have a feeling that N. Schultz with some salary retention could be part of a 3 for 1 trade:

remember:

Brewer, Woywitka, 1st for Pronger?

what about:

N. Schultz (25% Retention), 1st, PRV for Tyutin?
Tyutin is good but he's no Pronger

Old
07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
BestWestern

Nugie Boy:

How much would you pay Ference (and for what term) to be a 5/6 D-man?

Bozak:

"It is believed that Bozak is seeking $5.5 million per season, while Toronto is hoping to give him $3.5 million a year."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2934/tyler-bozak

For a #3C? No.

RE: Hemsky

Hemsky for Smith was the rumour circulating... and although I think that undervalues Hemsky I think you overvalue him. Especially considering the lack of forward depth that was exposed when all of Ottawa's F's got injured. They give up 2 roster players from an already sparse roster for a player who has missed roughly 1/2 of his games in the last 5 years? I don't think Ottawa makes that deal.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Chipchura , MacAurther, Nystrom, Lovejoy , Hainsey, Lapierre , Griess ,Adam Hall , Cooke ( I just throw up in my mouth ) Scuderi , Weiss ( if on the cheap & 1 or 2 year deal ) , Stalberg
Lovejoy is already locked up with ANH. I think with what CHI has already moved out, you can expect they have plenty of room to retain Stalberg.

Cooke has had a bit of a second wind the last couple years. I would be interested in making him an offer.

Scuderi, too.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

I could see Predators making a pitch for Hemsky now

Old
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Lovejoy re-signed I believe. And I only see Adam Hall as a fit Late in the summer if no one else can be found.

I really like the idea of Nystrom in the bottom-6 and Weiss, if he's willing to do a year or 2, might make a nice fit.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
BestWestern

Oilwings: My bad, Doug Lynch (former 2nd rd pick)

Armandh01: Interesting player; just not sure what the number would be like for him....

Oilers4cup: Lovejoy resigned w/ ANA before the draft IIRC...

knwledge: I know Pronger > Tyutin. I was simply comparing the structure of the trade.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
BestWestern

I can only see Weiss coming in if Gagner isn't signed. He's a #2C on several contenders, why be a #3C on a team that missed the playoffs?

Old
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Oilwings: My bad, Doug Lynch (former 2nd rd pick)

Armandh01: Interesting player; just not sure what the number would be like for him....

Oilers4cup: Lovejoy resigned w/ ANA before the draft IIRC...

knwledge: I know Pronger > Tyutin. I was simply comparing the structure of the trade.
There is a quote function.

Old
Matt19Oilers

One thing I had heard a bit about a few months back was potentialy swinging a deal to get Kulikov from Florida. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about him, but is that type of trade even remotely possible, or was that just a phase? Just interested to know.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Nugie Boy:

How much would you pay Ference (and for what term) to be a 5/6 D-man?

Bozak:

"It is believed that Bozak is seeking $5.5 million per season, while Toronto is hoping to give him $3.5 million a year."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2934/tyler-bozak

For a #3C? No.

RE: Hemsky

Hemsky for Smith was the rumour circulating... and although I think that undervalues Hemsky I think you overvalue him. Especially considering the lack of forward depth that was exposed when all of Ottawa's F's got injured. They give up 2 roster players from an already sparse roster for a player who has missed roughly 1/2 of his games in the last 5 years? I don't think Ottawa makes that deal.
I would be willing to overpay for Ference at around 3-3.5 mil for 2-3 years
Bozak I would go 4.5 mil per year for 3-4 years
If you added a prospect like Marincin along with Hemsky then Ottawa would probably do that deal

Old
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I can only see Weiss coming in if Gagner isn't signed. He's a #2C on several contenders, why be a #3C on a team that missed the playoffs?
But Nuge is likely not going to be ready for the start of the season, so as much depth at center as possible.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
One thing I had heard a bit about a few months back was potentialy swinging a deal to get Kulikov from Florida. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about him, but is that type of trade even remotely possible, or was that just a phase? Just interested to know.
FLA has some gem defence prospects. I think they will be careful to take their time & figure out what is what...but...Its a good bet Kulikov is going to be charted near or at the top of that list.

Alex Petrovic might be snaggable at some point, though.

I know this player very well. He is progressing. Not eye-poppingly fast...but...in the next few years he will be a prominent player. Book it.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
If you added a prospect like Marincin along with Hemsky then Ottawa would probably do that deal
Ference isn't a player I would over pay for. If your going to overpay...di it for a guy who can make a major impact.

Ference is an interesting option. Don't get me wrong. But for what he actually brings...you can really ONLY pay the "right price". That is exactly why/how he was such a good fit in BOS.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:05 PM
BestWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I wouldn't do that> Ference is going to be 35 soon, and he's shown signs of slowing down. Considering how much that detail may make negotiating extensions with Yak/Schultz/Nuge more difficult for, IMO, a marginal improvement on our D-corps. No thanks.

Bozak was offered 3.5 to play with Kessel and JVR. You think he takes 4.5 to play with PRV and Stalberg? I don't think so. Also, I doubt he'd even take 4.5 mill. His numbers have been inflated playing with Kessel, I bet he signs for $5M + in the open market. As far as salary impacting future extensions, see my previous point. No thanks.

That evens it out a bit... But I'm still not a big fan of Zack Smith. 3C who doesn't PK... I mean I *might* do that trade. Pretty close lol.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
skorf

Quote:

Skorf:

I think Clarkson has potential to be a Horcoff contract, but not Horton. Why? Clarkson had 2 good offensive seasons (Horcoff) but horton's first 6 NHL seasons were consistent (45-62 points) and his last 2 have been 32 points in 46 games and 22 points in 42 (followed by a playoff where he went 19 in 22). Consistent Offensive production throughout his career. If it's a cap friendly number, and the coaching staff thinks either he or Yak can play LW, i have no problem signing him to a 4 year + deal.

I really like Penner as a 3W option. Him and paajarvi would be a nice duo on that 3L. A cheaper Clowe.

Lander has to find his offence. He really started to get on track near the end of the year and playoffs in OKC. He improved, but by no means was racking up points. I think he needs another year to build upon that production in OKC. Good call-up option tho.

Yan Danis is not an NHL goalie. Phenomenal AHL guy, but I jsut don't think you can rely on him to win games when Dubnyk is struggling/needs a night off. Labarberra or Khudobin could probably be had for less than $2M, and I'd take them over Danis.

If we come out of FA with:

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
????-Gagner-Yak
MacArthur/Cooke-(Horc)-PRV
Smyth-Gordon-Richardson/Comeau

????-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
Belov-N.Schultz
Klefbom-Potter

Dubnyk
Labarberra

We have 2 holes in our roster (#1 LD and #2 LW). Horc is an average #3C with a big cap hit. I'd only move him if we can acquire an average 3C who is under 28 and with a small cap hit. Otherwise, Keep the Kaptain.

Surely MacT can make something happen via trade?
I'd prefer Clarkson to Horton. The last 2 years Clarkson has been just as good as Horton and if anything is steadily improving. Horton has kind of leveled off. I'd stay away from both these guys though, someone will likely pay them over 5 mil a season, and I do not want that to be us. A 4 year 22 million dollar deal could really hurt keeping our own guys. If we're shelling out 5+ million a year, I'd like someone a bit better coming back. And really Penner could do almost as much as Clarkson or Horton and fits in at LW.

Lander I'd prefer in the NHL. Sure he needs to get his offense on track but realistically we don't need offense from him, we need him to improve more on defense, PK, and faceoffs. I think playing a consistent 3rd/4th line role would help his development tremendously

As for a goalie, if we can get someone for less then 2 mil, I'm fine with that. Khudobin I bet gets more, Labarberra I think is a possibility. Just with backup goalies, I'd tend to think they'd resign with their own teams since they'd likely get the same $ offer and would still be a backup here.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:31 PM
BestWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
But Nuge is likely not going to be ready for the start of the season, so as much depth at center as possible.
Fair enough, I still don't see that as enough to convince Weiss that he should come to EDM for 1-2 Years, even if we overpay drastically.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I'm ready to overpay a bit for some free agents.

Closed Thread