HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NYI] Rick DiPietro

Old
07-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Slicknitty
Hockey Jesus

vCash: 391
I always knew this contract wouldnt work. Damn, hopefully all these buyouts for these crazy contracts make the gm's think twice before handing them out.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Such a great start, was a great goalie and now this. I truly feel sorry for the guy. I think some people don't realize how good he was before flaming out like this. I really hoped he could have pulled it together but apparently its his time. I think he should just stop playing personally. Its going to be hard for him to stop but he just has to.
Great post. Ironically his injuries really kicked in during the All-Star competition he was in.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
That post is bacon wrapped filet mignon . lol!
You have to add in the creamed spinach, then it's perfect. Peter Luger's man, Peter Luger's.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:19 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Great post. Ironically his injuries really kicked in during the All-Star competition he was in.
he is going to earn and has earned millions of dollars which he doesnt really deserve at this point.

He will be fine even if he calls it quits

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
DiPietro better be laughing all the way to the bank with this one...
Better be careful. Don't wanna trip over yourself in a hurry.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
glad someone remembered this.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Mehar

Wang was a fool to give this contract to Dipietro in the first place. I shook my head 6 years ago when the contract was given, however i could have never forseen how much of a bad move it would turn out to be. Isles have a history of bad moves with this contract and Yashin's contract being the prime examples. Wish Rick all the best in the future though, and that is a nice chunk of change arriving every year for Rick for not playing hockey.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Lol at people saying congrats islanders, they signed a goaltender to a terrible contract that they now have to pay him to not play. This will be the only money wang will spend this summer, snow won't be able to sign any UFAs
Compliance buyouts come out of players share if revenue

Don't expect the cap to emrise next season... Buy outs will keep it down

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Frosty415
Stay Frosty

vCash: 738

He was good at one point.

Frosty415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Darth Milbury

We still have Dipietro? But, it is believed that he will be traded to the Nucks.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
People need to realize Rick would probably give up the $1.5M for the next 16 years in a heartbeat if it meant he could get his career back on track. He's that dedicated to the game and to his team. That's why it's all a bit bittersweet. He was a damn good goalie at one point. But after signing that silly contract, as luck would have it, his hips and knees both went. He's also had about 4 concussions over his career.

But that one knee (left, if I'm not mistaken) was very problematic. After multiple surgeries, he still had considerable swelling over stretches. You can tell he tried to adjust his game a bit, but from being away for so long and not being able to adjust, you can tell he just could not get it right. His positioning always looked off...and his reaction time was terrible. That never improved over the years.

Another team could take a chance on him for sure...low risk contract. But know full well you can probably never rely on him to take over as starter. That was my problem when he was still considered part of the Isles' future. You need to rely on your starting goalie to stand on his head throughout an entire season and hopefully deep into the playoffs. Considering Rick's injury history, there was very little confidence he could carry the team for very long stretches. Not on those knees and hips.
Agreed. I hope he catches on somewhere.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Good news for Islander fans. Dropping this dead weight contract must make all of you happy.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Congrats to Islanders fans! Was worried they wouldn't do it!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
Congrats Islanders and their fans. Is there any more Milbury crap that still needs to be shed from the team, or is this finally it?
Just Charles Wang. Nothing major.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Wang was a fool to give this contract to Dipietro in the first place. I shook my head 6 years ago when the contract was given, however i could have never forseen how much of a bad move it would turn out to be. Isles have a history of bad moves with this contract and Yashin's contract being the prime examples. Wish Rick all the best in the future though, and that is a nice chunk of change arriving every year for Rick for not playing hockey.
They weren't good moves but both also suffered horrific injuries that really derailed their careers (Yashin with the sliced wrist that really took away his best asset, and Ricky with all the knee and hip injuries). Those moves aren't that bad if Yash and Rick (mostly Rick as the Yashin money looks ridiculous even today), stay healthy.

Feel bad for Rick as he is the ultimate competitor. I doubt very much that we will see him in the NHL anytime soon, but you never know. Wish him the best of luck and hope he can deal with this.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Why would Wang use a compliance buyout on him? He always tried to find ways to circumvent the cap floor and by artificially inflating his payroll. I thought he would use a normal buyout to count a 1.5M$ on the cap hit without actually taking a roster spot.

Luiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why would Wang use a compliance buyout on him? He always tried to find ways to circumvent the cap floor and by artificially inflating his payroll. I thought he would use a normal buyout to count a 1.5M$ on the cap hit without actually taking a roster spot.
With the move he may not want to handcuff the franchise that far into the future.
Islanders have a strong TV contract it has always been the arena weighing the team down. If they can put a winning team on the ice on a consistent basis it will generate revenue.

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Scissons View Post
With the move he may not want to handcuff the franchise that far into the future.
Islanders have a strong TV contract it has always been the arena weighing the team down. If they can put a winning team on the ice on a consistent basis it will generate revenue.
Personally I am surprised he didn't use a normal buyout. If and when the cap goes up to 80M+(which I am guessing happens within 5 years), 1.5M will be minimal if an owner wants to spend to the cap limit

Only reason I don't see Wang using a normal buyout is somebody somewhere told him it decreases the value/namebrand of the team. I am guessing more then hindering the team if it wants to spend to the cap max, they just want to ride the franchise of Dipietro's name being brought up in any fashion(ie they don't need everybody saying for the next few years how Dipietros caphit is putting them over the cap min, much like how Yashin's name still gets brought up on occasion how his caphit is being used to get them over the cap min). Sort of an out of site out of mind.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:00 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
DiPietro better be laughing all the way to the bank with this one...
I have no doubt this crushed his heart. There's no chance he's "laughing all the way to the bank"

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Capslock17
McDaigle

I'd love to say I feel sorry for DP, but I dont.

Guy dosnt have to work another day in his life.

Capslock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I never knew how handsome DiPietro used to be.

Yes homo.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:15 AM
alphahelix

Players who haven't even entered the league yet will play their entire career and retire honorably before the NYI are through making annual payments to the estate of Rick Dipietro, Esq.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:15 AM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I wonder if anyone will give him a shot when he's a free agent. There's gotta be a team stupid enough to do it, right?
Holmgren

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Episkey
Nitrox

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
I'd love to say I feel sorry for DP, but I dont.

Guy dosnt have to work another day in his life.
Agreed, kind of amazing that he will be making 1.5 mil a year until he's 47 doing absolutely nothing.

Episkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Ha, good for Islanders, but I'm really curious to see what DiPietro will do now.
nhl network panelist

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote