HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
After listening to Timmins, I like hearing him say he sees him having the "Jarred Tinordi" type of development. Size / Mobility. Says skating is not an issue at all. I'm warming up to this pick.
A lot of people who doubted this pick will absolutely love him after he steamrolls a couple Bruins in his first game against them..

Old
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

McCarron vs Lucic

Old
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Him being big and intimidating is all fine and dandy, just hope he finds somewhat of an offensive game in order to be appropriate on a 3rd line. Would hate for him to round out to a 4th line tough guy. Wouldn't even call him a goon, he sounds like a nice kid.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Him being big and intimidating is all fine and dandy, just hope he finds somewhat of an offensive game in order to be appropriate on a 3rd line. Would hate for him to round out to a 4th line tough guy. Wouldn't even call him a goon, he sounds like a nice kid.
His ability on the boards and his apparent offensive instincts will help him develop some solid production. And lets not forget we have some high end playmakers that will make him better. Its not like he'll have to do everything himself. Hell be the happy recipient of some beauty galchenyuk passes and juicy rebounds in the slot. Its his intangibles which make him top6 material IMO

Old
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Well even Pronman, who the toughness brigade here often dismisses because he values puck possession and skill over toughness and intangibles and uses a lot of advanced stats for his methodology, believes this guy has top 6 upside and a good deal of offensive skill (he also has him ranked 47th overall for what it's worth).

There's a chance he ends up nothing more than a plug or worse, as there is with every pick, this one more than most but we had good luck with a project a few years ago in Tinordi, and I can accept a forward version of Tinordi even if isn't an outstanding offensive player.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Bourdon101

The thing I've seen and have heard from many people that concern me the most is his release. It is slow, but the shot is powerful. In the nhl he may not have the time to use this asset of his play. If he cannot get a better release he cannot snipe, that is clear to me. And thus it will be hard for him to be the 30 goal scorer that Lucic and other PF's are.

Its a small but very important thing in today's nhl where shooting lanes are quickly filled and goalies are well positioned.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon101 View Post
The thing I've seen and have heard from many people that concern me the most is his release. It is slow, but the shot is powerful. In the nhl he may not have the time to use this asset of his play. If he cannot get a better release he cannot snipe, that is clear to me. And thus it will be hard for him to be the 30 goal scorer that Lucic and other PF's are.

Its a small but very important thing in today's nhl where shooting lanes are quickly filled and goalies are well positioned.
I heard this too.

The biggest thing that stands out about Lucic skill-wise is his release. While his brute strength obviously helps, the reason Lucic was able to improve so much is how quick his release is.

Supposedly McCarron has more overall offensive talent than Lucic did at the same age, but with a slow release he will struggle to be a plus offensive player. You can't be a power forward at the NHL level if you can't get your shot off.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I heard this too.

The biggest thing that stands out about Lucic skill-wise is his release. While his brute strength obviously helps, the reason Lucic was able to improve so much is how quick his release is.

Supposedly McCarron has more overall offensive talent than Lucic did at the same age, but with a slow release he will struggle to be a plus offensive player. You can't be a power forward at the NHL level if you can't get your shot off.
I've read articles on both ends of the scale, at the start of the year Mike's had abilities to work on. Since that time until the end of the season his deficiencies have caught up to speed for a player of his dimensions, his shot has improved to the point of being a strength. I think that over the season I may have read everything that was written about McCarron's progress and it's all been good enough to consider him a significant riser over the last three months.

Mike's skating is much better than most big men at this age, which is also a plus and being physical is just his game.

The Hab's have been following his progress obviously, it's too bad they didn't draft Diaby at #55 for nine picks later,( David Poile noted for his prowess with drafting the best defencemen every year it seems.) with Nashville's 2nd pick OV in the draft picked who else but Johnathan I. Diaby. Diaby as one tough defenceman, will soon be on Nashville's core group. The De la Rose, Fucale and Lekhonen Picks were all good BPA picks as well just we didn't get Diaby too!

Old
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
From the video, he showed some slick hands on his goal (even if it was weak by Desrosiers) to push the puck with his reach. His shot did seem to have a quick release there but it wasn't heavy, I think it is more a question of coordination and adjusting to his body.

Encouraging signs of the video was his play along the wall and that he always went right to the front of the net. There's no Latendresse issues here, people, he knows where he needs to go to be successful. He will be a fine complementary player and will definitely help keep Galchenyuk from wearing down in the play-offs by doing the heavy lifting on the boards.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
When you watch the U18 highlights of him he looks ridiculously huge - somehow even bigger than the 6'5'' he already is...

I am not sure he'll end up a good fighter, he is after all not from a league/system where it is common, but he should be fun to watch if he can be physical.

I would be really happy if he becomes a more physical, more offensive version of Bryan Boyle.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
When you watch the U18 highlights of him he looks ridiculously huge - somehow even bigger than the 6'5'' he already is...

I am not sure he'll end up a good fighter, he is after all not from a league/system where it is common, but he should be fun to watch if he can be physical.

I would be really happy if he becomes a more physical, more offensive version of Bryan Boyle.
He is 6'6 now

Old
07-01-2013, 08:11 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

He looks like a football player

Old
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
He is 6'6 now
6'6, 240lbs and low body fat.

Keep in mind, he's 18. Plenty of time (about 2-3 years) to grow even bigger.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
As somebody mentioned though, he didn't exactly destroyed the Combine. So despite the low body fat, though he wasn't top 10 in that either but surely not far, he will have to continue training as he surely intented to. As the heaviest prospect, you would have thought that he would have dominated the strength exercices...But then, we don't know everything, could have not be 100% and so on. And some will also take it positively by saying that he already has the frame, imagine when the muscles will be even stronger....

Old
07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
6'6, 240lbs and low body fat.

Keep in mind, he's 18. Plenty of time (about 2-3 years) to grow even bigger.
its just so eerie how similar he is to tinordi and how we want him to develop the same way, AND even eerier that he can play FOR london as well if he chooses

i REALLY hope he makes the decision tinordi made, hell i hope he asks him a bit of advice!

you heard mike say he likes to fight and wouldnt be able to at college, GET your ass to london so you can play on a GREAT team, play LOADS of games to adapt to NHL schedule lifestyle, and go on to play in the mem cup no matter what!

not knocking the NCAA system or what andy murray can do over there, but its CLEAR even on timmins face hes hoping mccarron chooses the london knights

Old
07-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As somebody mentioned though, he didn't exactly destroyed the Combine. So despite the low body fat, though he wasn't top 10 in that either but surely not far, he will have to continue training as he surely intented to. As the heaviest prospect, you would have thought that he would have dominated the strength exercices...But then, we don't know everything, could have not be 100% and so on. And some will also take it positively by saying that he already has the frame, imagine when the muscles will be even stronger....
Exactly, imagine when he's finally done with our training camp and they send him home with WHAT to work on, how to follow healthy diet, what exersizes to do, ..he's going to be getting PRO treatment when it comes to fitness from now on, lets just hope he follows thru on it all, ..especially working out at the great facilities the habs have

Old
07-01-2013, 08:47 PM
icerocket

Did we draft our bear hunter?

Old
07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
He looks like a football player
Built like an NFL tight end.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

McCarron
Tinordi
Thrower
Dietz
Crisp

That's some nastiness and physicality in our prospect pool. Now i want the Habs to trade for McIlrath. **** that would be nasty lol

Old
07-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Weren't you the guy who was saying that drafting the best player available is stupid and that we should be drafting according to need?
I do recall him being on the 'draft Reinhart #3' and 'Tinordi hate' boat.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post

McCarron vs Lucic

Golden !!! Lolll

Seriously this pick if he turns out he is a lot smarter than we think now... who knows if he can become an offensive star at 6'8 260lbs..

Just imagine that during the playoffs.......

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 07-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I hope that I'm wrong, but to me this guy screams Brian Boyle winger version.
Boyle doesn't have 1/10th of McCarron's mean streak. The next Boyle of this draft is Gauthier.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:22 PM
jedimyrmidon

Are there any differences between Michael McCarron and Tyler Biggs? In other words, will we be defending mediocre junior production?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Are there any differences between Michael McCarron and Tyler Biggs? In other words, will we be defending mediocre junior production?
McCarron has good hands, very good skater for a big guy, and good hockey sense...Tyler Biggs has...a Wendel Clark lunch box??...

Old
07-01-2013, 10:33 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People here seem to play this guy up because he was drafted by the Canadians. If he was so good with this size he would have gone tops ten. The only reason he went in the first is because of his size. If he was six feet 180 he would go much much later. Go ahead blast me

The Canadians wasted a first round pick for a maybe fourth liner.

What a disgrace

Closed Thread