HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL [Jets re-sign Little/Wheeler/Bogosian]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
  #251
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Well I look at it this way, the 4th line is supposed to be a high energy line that causes mayhem in the offensive zone.

The rangers 4th line on paper was supposed to be

C - Halpern - 37 years old
RW - Asham - 33 years old
LW - Rupp - 33 years old

Halpern was always a pretty good skater, but honestly, how is a line like that supposed to actually be effective?
even worse to watch on the ice. the 3rd line wasn't any better.

Unfortunately, I still see the same issues in the current bottom 6. Drastic and huge issues for this club moving forward. They must be banking on a ton of kids breaking out next season otherwise things could get really ugly.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:48 PM
  #252
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
even worse to watch on the ice. the 3rd line wasn't any better.

Unfortunately, I still see the same issues in the current bottom 6. Drastic and huge issues for this club moving forward. They must be banking on a ton of kids breaking out next season otherwise things could get really ugly.
I agree. They don't have any 4th line types on the team outside of Dorsett, who I'm not even particularly fond of. Boyle, love him or hate him, is much better suited to a 3rd line defensive role than a 4th line energy role.

I know they are desperate for Zuccs production, but i still think they should move him for one of the top 4th line guys, like a Ryan reaves. Someone who will cause mayhem almost on his own

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
  #253
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I agree. They don't have any 4th line types on the team outside of Dorsett, who I'm not even particularly fond of. Boyle, love him or hate him, is much better suited to a 3rd line defensive role than a 4th line energy role.

I know they are desperate for Zuccs production, but i still think they should move him for one of the top 4th line guys, like a Ryan reaves. Someone who will cause mayhem almost on his own
Huge fan of Reaves, but I think trading Zucc is very risky now. He stepped in effectively as a top 6 player fresh from KHL and was one of the best players down the stretch. I would love Reaves, but I'd want to keep Zucc on the roster. Trading him creates an even bigger hole on the top 6.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
  #254
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Huge fan of Reaves, but I think trading Zucc is very risky now. He stepped in effectively as a top 6 player fresh from KHL and was one of the best players down the stretch. I would love Reaves, but I'd want to keep Zucc on the roster. Trading him creates an even bigger hole on the top 6.
Yea I know what you are saying and cant really disagree. But reaves or a player like that has to be on their list to find. They just can not keep plugging in below average 30+ year old enforcers thinking they are good energy players. One of the wing spots is ok, but not both. Dorsett, IMO, is not a great enough skater that a guy like Asham can play opposite him, they need a better skater.

I'm still curious what they do about the centers. They have nobody who fits that 4th line role.

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:00 PM
  #255
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Yea I know what you are saying and cant really disagree. But reaves or a player like that has to be on their list to find. They just can not keep plugging in below average 30+ year old enforcers thinking they are good energy players. One of the wing spots is ok, but not both. Dorsett, IMO, is not a great enough skater that a guy like Asham can play opposite him, they need a better skater.

I'm still curious what they do about the centers. They have nobody who fits that 4th line role.
Dorsett was very undisciplined and was embarrassing with his antics in the series vs. the Bruins, but I'm willing to give him a chance at a 4th line role. He was coming off of injury, so that really hindered his performance. 4C is also a need right now, but I think Boyle will fill in that role for at least next season now that it's confirmed Brad Richards is retained.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:07 PM
  #256
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Dorsett was very undisciplined and was embarrassing with his antics in the series vs. the Bruins, but I'm willing to give him a chance at a 4th line role. He was coming off of injury, so that really hindered his performance. 4C is also a need right now, but I think Boyle will fill in that role for at least next season now that it's confirmed Brad Richards is retained.
Until Richards continues to prove he's terrible. Then they have center issues again.

Still need a good skating and physical wing to play along side Dorsett. Nobody in the system really has that skill set. Maybe mashinter, but he was brutal in his time in the NHL last year

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
  #257
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,029
vCash: 500
young kids stepping in to fill out the roster is what the best teams can do. put a great team with a few holes, stick kids in if they can handle it, and let the stars carry the load.

im fine with putting a few kids in.

Inferno is online now  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
  #258
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
young kids stepping in to fill out the roster is what the best teams can do. put a great team with a few holes, stick kids in if they can handle it, and let the stars carry the load.

im fine with putting a few kids in.
Well do they have a guy in the system that can play the energy role and only get 5-7 minutes a night and that not stunt his development? You don't want a guy like Kreider or Miller doing that, you want them playing significant amount of minutes

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
  #259
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Dorsett was very undisciplined and was embarrassing with his antics in the series vs. the Bruins, but I'm willing to give him a chance at a 4th line role. He was coming off of injury, so that really hindered his performance. 4C is also a need right now, but I think Boyle will fill in that role for at least next season now that it's confirmed Brad Richards is retained.
Exaggerate much? Embarrassing? This is hockey. It's a physical sport.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
  #260
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
young kids stepping in to fill out the roster is what the best teams can do. put a great team with a few holes, stick kids in if they can handle it, and let the stars carry the load.

im fine with putting a few kids in.
Leaf fan mod Mess has the best quote on that which I believe fits perfectly with what you're suggesting:
Quote:
There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Can you accept the consequences? Would it be better to develop them down in the minors and get big minutes instead of getting the 'Kreider Treatment'?


Last edited by Kershaw: 07-01-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
  #261
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 50
And what if the kids aren't ready? Throwing them to the wolves won't help their development, and the team will play like **** too. If they make the team during camp and the preseason, great. If they don't, then time in Hartford is what they need. I don't see the point in giving rookies roster spots they didn't earn.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
  #262
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Exaggerate much? Embarrassing? This is hockey. It's a physical sport.
He was playing like a weasel out there. Max Lapierre on a rough day. Diving, chirping, undisciplined play and generally looking like a tool.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-01-2013, 11:52 PM
  #263
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
As a Canadian who is staying in tonight to do homework, today feels much less of Canada day than it does Annual Kershaw Day. Every thread I go to, every post I read, it's Kershaw.

Cresto is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 12:40 AM
  #264
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Defense isn't an issue with Merill, Gelinas and Severson on the fast track. It's skilled forwards that the devils lack.
Fast track to what? At the NHL level, the Devils' defense is a mess. Expecting three unproven d-men to play in the NHL next season and fix that problem is unrealistic.

Besides, Tedenby, Josefen, Corrente, Urbom -- all those guys were on the fast track too at one point.

GWOW is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 02:00 AM
  #265
Sticky Fingers
Registered User
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
As a Canadian who is staying in tonight to do homework, today feels much less of Canada day than it does Annual Kershaw Day. Every thread I go to, every post I read, it's Kershaw.
LOL.

Sticky Fingers is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 03:01 AM
  #266
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Islanders buying out Dipietro. ... Will be paying him 1.2 mil per over the next 16yrs...
Read an interesting comment on the TSN story about this. Someone talking about DP being the top draft pick that year. I had to go back and look at who the Isles passed up on to pick DP and it was actually a pretty weak draft. Not that it excuses them for that terrible contract but still pretty interesting.

Picked 2 was Heatley, 3 was Gaborik. Then the Isles picked Raffi Torres at 5th
Some notable names passed on:

Scott Hartnell (6th)
Brooks Orpik (18th)
Justin Williams (28th)
Bryz (44th)
Visnovsky (118th)
Lundqvist (205th)


Last edited by truebluegoalie: 07-02-2013 at 03:14 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 05:27 AM
  #267
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 500
Why are the Isles using a compliance buyout for DP? 16 years of dead cap space must be a dream come true for them. After all Yashin was crucial for them to reach the cap floor for many years...

jniklast is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 06:28 AM
  #268
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Anyone who doesn't think Vinny L is going to the Leafs is a hack. I know it because I saw it on the main boards.

Look, I called him to the Leafs a long time ago, but this is silly. There's an entitlement complex for every player. The Leafs fans even thought they were frontrunners for Brad Richards.
I think the Leafs fans secretly employ intention and mind power tactics to attempt drawing big name players there in free agency. They're just not very good at it.

__________________
Ail is online now  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  #269
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
In all the trade possibilities with CBJ this year and last year, I was really lusting after their 1st round pick and getting the man they got in Wennberg.

Cresto is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:46 AM
  #270
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He was playing like a weasel out there. Max Lapierre on a rough day. Diving, chirping, undisciplined play and generally looking like a tool.
Uh, no. He was hitting and being engaged in the game like he should be. He fought a legit heavy in Thornton. He fought Campbell. He took on all in order to swing momentum. The guy is a heart and soul player who plays on the line. Honestly, what type of team would you like? Sweet and lovable?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  #271
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Uh, no. He was hitting and being engaged in the game like he should be. He fought a legit heavy in Thornton. He fought Campbell. He took on all in order to swing momentum. The guy is a heart and soul player who plays on the line. Honestly, what type of team would you like? Sweet and lovable?
He wasn't responsible though, he was bad defensively, and took like 3-4 penalties for stupid things.

Can't have 4th liners who take bad penalties.

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  #272
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
He wasn't responsible though, he was bad defensively, and took like 3-4 penalties for stupid things.

Can't have 4th liners who take bad penalties.
He was fine defensively. He took penalties because he was trying to make something happen for a team that was flat. It happens.

This is part of his game. This is part of players games who are physical and a pain to play against. It's either people accept it, or they will be disappointed. Or would people rather the team have no one willing to stir the pot a bit and get under the opponents skin?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 07:58 AM
  #273
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He was fine defensively. He took penalties because he was trying to make something happen for a team that was flat. It happens.

This is part of his game. This is part of players games who are physical and a pain to play against. It's either people accept it, or they will be disappointed. Or would people rather the team have no one willing to stir the pot a bit and get under the opponents skin?
If part of his game is taking bad penalties then he shouldn't be on the ice.

And I would not consider -5 to be "fine defensively"

slipknottin is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
  #274
emodwarf
Registered User
 
emodwarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston. Sucks.
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
If part of his game is taking bad penalties then he shouldn't be on the ice.
Should any of the Rangers been on the ice? They looked lifeless and deservedly lost to a better, and more determined, team.

Dorsett took some junky penalties but it's not like he took bad penalties while the Rangers were playing well.

At least he was trying.

emodwarf is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
  #275
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Should any of the Rangers been on the ice? They looked lifeless and deservedly lost to a better, and more determined, team.

Dorsett took some junky penalties but it's not like he took bad penalties while the Rangers were playing well.

At least he was trying.
Taking penalties for hooking and tripping or whatever else he got doesn't show he was trying at all, those are lazy penalties.

slipknottin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.