HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Vincent Lecavalier - Signed in Philly

Old
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
you're correct his short list includes, Detroit, San Jose, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Florida, Ottawa, Anaheim, Calgary & New York Rangers
I can see him wanting to stay in the East for the travel schedule but that said I think if they had the space the Ducks would be a good fit.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
you're correct his short list includes, Detroit, San Jose, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Florida, Ottawa, Anaheim, Calgary & New York Rangers
That's not exactly a short list.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:27 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
That's not exactly a short list.
The Predators are never on any top players short list

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

From the looks of it, 18 other teams aren't on the list either.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The Predators are never on any top players short list
....or long list for that matter

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:34 PM
thecloser

I don't know about that list.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Nitrous Mafia

his short list is the entire NHL

minus the preds

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:26 PM
WartracePred

But Nashville is such a wonderful place. I can't imagine why high profile players wouldn't want to live here. Unless you're married to Carrie Underwood, you probably aren't listing TN as a destination. Too many people on the Preds message board confuse what they want with reality.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:41 PM
oreilly22

It's happening guys... This is the player apocalypse that Poile foretold. Lecavelier bought out, guys like Seguin, Vanek, Letang, and Petro rumored to be on the market, and the deepest draft since the talent flood of 2003. If we make some intelligent splashes this year, then it should put us over the hump. Hopefully Poile was waiting to pull his big moves until he saw something like this would come to pass.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
It's happening guys... This is the player apocalypse that Poile foretold. Lecavelier bought out, guys like Seguin, Vanek, Letang, and Petro rumored to be on the market, and the deepest draft since the talent flood of 2003. If we make some intelligent splashes this year, then it should put us over the hump. Hopefully Poile was waiting to pull his big moves until he saw something like this would come to pass.
How great would it be to hear a recognizable name listed when the PREDS sign a free agent???

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:40 PM
thecloser

I can't wait for tomorrow!

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:08 PM
hockey diva

Small hockey market in the South = no worshiping fans, no big endorsements, no best table at a restaurant when you walk in, no god like status, no bright lights. Don't let the aw shucks act fool you. They want the recognition and dare I say fawning attention that the their brethren get in Canada and other big markets. These guys have egos and Nashville doesn't pump them up worth a damn.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
But Nashville is such a wonderful place. I can't imagine why high profile players wouldn't want to live here. Unless you're married to Carrie Underwood, you probably aren't listing TN as a destination. Too many people on the Preds message board confuse what they want with reality.
This.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:22 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Small hockey market in the South = no worshiping fans, no big endorsements, no best table at a restaurant when you walk in, no god like status, no bright lights. Don't let the aw shucks act fool you. They want the recognition and dare I say fawning attention that the their brethren get in Canada and other big markets. These guys have egos and Nashville doesn't pump them up worth a damn.
Unless you are a football player. Hockey players not so much. I was in Subway 2 seasons ago for lunch when we were in town for the HABS game Markov and Nokalienen were in there getting food. I walked in said hi and the guy at the counter asked who they were. I told him they were NHL players he asked what sport that was (facepalm).

The big difference I think is that hockey players are given media training early on so they learn how to deal with the media so that they somewhat say the right things I am not sure if MLB and NBA and NFL players get that.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 06-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.
29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:26 AM
tserberis*

I've traveled a lot of US, I've seen a lot of cities and towns, why is Nashville such a great place in your opinion guys?

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
I've traveled a lot of US, I've seen a lot of cities and towns, why is Nashville such a great place in your opinion guys?
You get the best of both worlds here. Small time feel with big city benefits. People here are polite and leave stars alone, not just hockey, all stars. The nightlife is incredible too, now more than ever. Not to mention our ratio to beautiful women to ugly is way higher than most places I've been outside of Ole Miss campus. Cost of living is lower than most major metropolitan areas. Always something to do here, especially if you enjoy live music, not just country either, all types of music. It's also very family oriented here. Weather is good most of the time.

We have our downsides, but that's a list of some of the things I love about Nashville.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 AM
cleangene

So Vinny at least is MEETING with the Calgary Flames and not the Preds. C-A-L-G-A-R-Y for cryin' out loud, and not even meeting with the Preds.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 AM
RaiderDoug

I think the lack of interest from FA's has alot more to do with our lack of success and the perception that we're a small budget team than anything do with Nashville.

FA's don't want to play for a cash strapped team that appears more content with saving money than actually playing to win. We can argue all we want, that's the perception of this franchise around the league and will stay that way until we show that we're not. Like it or not, teams that spend are seen as teams that are trying to win - teams that hover around the floor or below the midpoint are not.

FA's don't want to play for a team that isn't seen as a real contender (let's face it, our best year ever was a near sweep in the 2nd round).

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Ever think that maybe the predators are not interrsted in the ageing player? We already have two 30 something centers on the team. Going acter a 3rd one doesnt make sense when poile's plan has said to bemlooking to go younger. Isnt that why errat wanted a trade? Now if we could swing a trade with boston to get seguin, that would be awesome!

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I've never really understood why top players don't ever seem to consider the Preds in free agency. On one hand I sorta get it, because of the lack of tradition as a contender in the past, but everything else is just sorta puzzling. We haven't had elite success, but anyone that knows the league knows we're a generally competitive team that makes the playoffs more often than not.

If I was a player, I'd at least want to look at a team that has a foundation and knows how to win. We generally fit that bill. As far as where a player wants to live and all that, let's be honest, unless it's a place that truly stands out one way or another, a player doesn't really care that much more often than not, I would assume. Unless it's somewhere like New York, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Florida, or maybe Vancouver or Toronto I don't think location really stands out much. IMO, those cities and areas are very appealing to a lot of people as far as being able to live there and tend to stand out in a player's mind over other locations, especially for someone with a lot of money.

And speaking of money, yes, Nashville is a great city to live in and we have a lot going for us, but a lot of that means nothing to an athlete that has a boat load of cash. Doesn't matter where someone signs. A player can sign in Detroit, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Columbus, wherever, and find a great neighborhood with great schools for his family and live a great life. On the topic of Columbus, I was never really mad at the fact that top FAs never seem to sign here until Jeff Carter signed in Columbus. Sure, he was traded that year but he still voluntarily chose to sign with a team newer than us with no winning tradition whatsoever.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

if VLC isnt meeting with us I would bet money its because Poile talked to his agent and found out what he's looking for and its either a one year deal with an eye on retiurning to Tampa or a 5 to 7 year deal at huge money.

neither of those scenarios make sense for us. we arent a cup contender next year and if we are looking to draft Barkov then paying VLC #1 C money for 5-7 yrs doesnt make sense either.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if VLC isnt meeting with us I would bet money its because Poile talked to his agent and found out what he's looking for and its either a one year deal with an eye on retiurning to Tampa or a 5 to 7 year deal at huge money.

neither of those scenarios make sense for us. we arent a cup contender next year and if we are looking to draft Barkov then paying VLC #1 C money for 5-7 yrs doesnt make sense either.
well, I made this post yesterday.

and then we didnt get Barkov, so now we have the roster spot and money to make a huge offer, the kind of splash you know the owners would love to make. Anyone think there is another team that could offer him 7x7?? Yeah, that would be an overpayment, but it would work especially if it was backloaded to increase as webers money decreases

I know it probably wont happen, but how amazing would it be if we swooped in and snagged VLC at the last minute??

It would make the Kariya signing look like Radek Bonk...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:04 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Any deal with VLC should not surpass 2 years

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Any deal with VLC should not surpass 2 years
then you can forget it.

if you want a guy like this you will overpay, massively.

unless he wants a 1 year deal so he can go back to tampa, I cant see him taking a short deal and potentially uprooting his family again in two years.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
NoNecksCurse

go ahead and close this thread... lol lecavalier to nashville? when hell freezes over... actually, no free agent worth a **** is coming here. work the trades poile. we will get a 3rd line 40 point shmuck in FA and march on to october...

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote