HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey Eras

Old
06-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

vCash: 500
Hockey Eras

Hello hockey historians,

I'm a rather young person, and was unable to live through the other eras of hockey. However, the older games that I am able to watch I can notice the difference. Such as the contrast from the clutch and grab days to the current NHL. I was wondering if poster would be so kind as to what separated the eras since the original six. I think I can put together why it was the original six era. Thank you in advance.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:46 AM
MS

I think there are 4 pretty clear post-1967 'eras' :

- 1967-79 - 'expansion era', turbulent period, new markets, WHA, introduction of the 20 y/o draft. Diluted hockey and low quality of play, probably the worst in history - rise of goon hockey. Clarence Campbell as NHL president.

- 1979-94 - 'offensive era', massive increase in scoring, huge overall improvement in quality of play, 18 y/o draft, Gretzky. John Ziegler as NHL president.

- 1994-2004 - 'dead puck era', decline in scoring and higher emphasis on defensive systems, unrestricted free agency and massive salary increases, Canadian teams in trouble. 4 teams (NJ, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas) dominate. Bettman as commissioner.

2004-present - 'cap era', salary cap, increase in scoring (temporarily), increased parity. Crosby and Ovechkin. Bettman still as commissioner.

The 1942-67 O6 era is pretty self-explanatory, as you say, and I think most people kind of consider 1926-43 to be an era - from the point where the NHL obtained the Stanley Cup and became the clear-cut top pro league through WW2 and the start of the O6 period.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:47 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

1967-1980 was an era of rapid expansion, especially after the WHA was formed and the NHL and WHA were racing to keep adding more teams.

The result was a huge imbalance of teams as the talent pool was stretched thin and the best teams had some really weak sisters to beat up on.

Also, the era of "goon hockey," partly because the additional roster spots opened up space for goons.

1980-1993 or so was an era of high-flying offensive hockey. The WHA folded in 1980, helping out the league's talent pool. The NHL started incorporating the European East-West game, and offensive defensemen who grew up watching Bobby Orr were plentiful. This was basically the Golden Era of playmaking centers and offensive defensemen. Defensive systems and goaltending struggled to keep up.

One major innovation during this time was the "short shift game," primarily pushed by Mike Keenan and the Flyers, it was adopted by every team by the early 90s. If you watch games from 1990, the pace looks very similar to today, but there is a world of difference between 1980 and 1990 - it's because of the shortening of shifts that occured.

1994-1997 was kind of a transition period from the offensive era to the dead puck era.

1997-2004 was "dead puck" hockey.

Edit: MS and I seem to have pretty similar ideas here. Didn't see his post before posting my own.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 06-30-2013 at 03:10 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:36 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Thank you in advance.
Arkansas Irishman huh? Alright Irishman. What opinion would you like me to express? That up until 66-67 the league was better? Cant really justify that as Boston, New York & Detroit were in fact pretty pathetic. Red Wings mid-pack, Roger Crozier, Alex Delvecchio, Howe & a few others holding er' down but weak tea. The 60's belonged to Toronto & Montreal. Chicago, despite its firepower with Hull, Glenn Hall et al, couldnt close a paper bag much less a deal or series. Pathetic Coaching. Toronto won playing Trap Hockey. Late 60's, Boston ascendant, Orr in full flight, Expansion. Its not hard to figure out, understand.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:02 AM
begbeee

Sorry for nitpicking, but these are certainly not hockey eras rather than NHL eras.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Arkansas Irishman huh? Alright Irishman. What opinion would you like me to express? That up until 66-67 the league was better? Cant really justify that as Boston, New York & Detroit were in fact pretty pathetic. Red Wings mid-pack, Roger Crozier, Alex Delvecchio, Howe & a few others holding er' down but weak tea. The 60's belonged to Toronto & Montreal. Chicago, despite its firepower with Hull, Glenn Hall et al, couldnt close a paper bag much less a deal or series. Pathetic Coaching. Toronto won playing Trap Hockey. Late 60's, Boston ascendant, Orr in full flight, Expansion. Its not hard to figure out, understand.
Born in Dublin, raised in Minnesota, going to school in Arkansas.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really enjoyed reading them and your other posts on the history board.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote