HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Options for Offensive Center

Old
10-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Options for Offensive Center

Well let's look at our 2nd line and try to solve the problem of the "center"
The players i'm suggesting don't necessarly mean I'm interested in getting them. I'm just showing you the possibilities that the Habs have of filling in the offensive center role if they want.

Here is what we can do:

From Within the team:

Tomas Plekanec (if the line continues to produce like they did on Saturday)
Radek Bonk
Mikhail Grabovsky (I think it's a decent try if u wanna keep Bonk on 3rd line)
Alex Kovalev (moving him to center)
Mike Johnson(see above)

Options on UFA market:

Yannick Perreault
Jason Allison

Trade Options(potentially available, now or later in season)

Viktor Kozlov
Tyler Arnason
Mike Comrie
Pavel Datsyuk (don't know if Det willing to trade him or not)
Sergei Federov
Bobby Holik
Olli Jokinen(if Flo is out of playoff run..would they trade him and rebuild again?)
Mike Modano(D has lots of centers + Gainey/Stars connection)
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jeremy Roenick
Joe Sakic (if Col falls out of playoff race)
Brad Richards (if Tampa falls out of playoff race)
Vincent Lecavalier(see above)
Mats Sundin(see above)
Alex Tanguay (Flames coach called him out last week?)
Peter Forsberg (Flyers struggling, last year of contract)
Robert Lang

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:44 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think it is still to early to worry about getting something from outside the team. Maybe at the 1/4 point of the season and the team is having major offensive problems but not now.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:46 AM
hab

could not see many of these players moving. I could see tanguay going though,we

pretty much knew he was not a calgary type player, just a bad fit all around...

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, from that list of external options, I could only really see Roenick, Kozlov, Arnason, Comrie, Lang, or maybe just maybe Modano as realistic possibilities. The others are either unavailable or too cap-unfriendly for us to get (unless maybe it was right at the deadline, but I'm not going to look that far down the road yet there's still too much that could happen in the meantime.)

So out of Roenick, Kozlov, Arnason, Comrie, Lang or maybe just maybe Modano (well, if he truly is disgruntled about the captaincy thing, although doesn't seem very likely anymore)....

I really truly don't see any option there that represents an improvement on what we have. Lang and Modano are the two most interesting, and probably not coincidentally the least likely to be available even in that diminished list.

End of the day, I think Bonk, patience with Plekanec, moving Johnson, etc, those internal options are far preferable. You'd have to break something that ain't broke in order to try to fix the C mini-problem via trade. That'd just be creating another (potentially larger) problem IMO. I'd give it lots more time to sort itself out, and hey, in the meantime, we are 4-1-2 afterall, eh? No worries.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I mostly agree with Blind Gardien. For instance, Jokinen would be perfect, but I'd be shocked if he got moved under any circumstances short of him publicly demanding a trade.

On the other hand, names like Forsberg, Lecavalier and Richards are, I think, possibilities. Obviously, something would have to go very wrong in TB or Philly for them to be available, but my thinking is that if they were somehow to get on the market, these are the kinds of guys that Gainey would make a serious push for.

In other words, the team will probably exhaust internal possibilities before even considering Kozlov or Roenick, but if there was any chance to get a top center, even through a blockbuster, that's the move Gainey would try to make. The Habs are solid overall, but probably not super-contenders, perhaps like Dallas was until they got Nieuwendyk for Iginla way back when.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:29 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Tanguay can not play centre.
And as of right now the Canadiens should not be changing too much.
Look for the thread are we not 4-1-2

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
TroyM

I don't its that much of a problem but just on some of those options, there are two combinations on this team that it would take a lot for me to think of breaking up after 7 games:

Higgins and Koivu are incredibly offensive players who compliment eachother perfectly, and Bonk and Johnson have created an incredible defensive duo who can bother people with strong puck control and decent offensive minds. So all that leaves in my opinion is Plekanec, Grabs isn't ready, and Kovalev I just don't like the thought of him at center. For me Plekanec can do the job better than anyone else OR easier, as it doesn't involve breaking up our other winning combinations. Moving wingers around may be a better option, switching Sammy and Perez for instance could spark something.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:34 PM
les Habs

Well looking only at within the organization or at the UFA market, I think we stay with Pleks. We're only how many games in and these guys will start to click. It'll happen. Pulling guys from other positions or lines who are performing or in Kovalev's case are starting to perform would be a mistake. That'd be making at minimum two changes to fix one problem.

UFA's? Perreault is the more realistic option if you ask me. He did pretty good with Nashville last season and will be another asset on faceoffs. Still I say stick with Pleks for now.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:08 PM
goalchenyuk

Gainey was rumoured few time , to look after Lang , but to get him , he would have to make cap space . The idea was to trade Bonk for draft choice ( washington ) , but by now , Bonk plays too good to do that trade .

Option number two ; Lecavalier , but how to make enough cap room ? so that it isn't a valide option exepted if Gainey would do a mega deal . But looking how the team is doing , you won't see that .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:17 PM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Tanguay can not play centre.
And as of right now the Canadiens should not be changing too much.
Look for the thread are we not 4-1-2
tanguay is a center who was moved to the wing

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
les Habs

Well I'd love Lecavalier if the cap went up again. Problem is we'd have to give up too much. I don't want us to move guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Markov.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gainey had a trade already prepared in case we lose one of our veterant center. Plekanec has still to show consistent offense this season, and we all know that Koivu will be injured at one point or another this season.

Now that Bonk has reportedly some kind of back problem, maybe we could see something happen in the short term...

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
Well let's look at our 2nd line and try to solve the problem of the "center"
The players i'm suggesting don't necessarly mean I'm interested in getting them. I'm just showing you the possibilities that the Habs have of filling in the offensive center role if they want.

Here is what we can do:

From Within the team:

Tomas Plekanec (if the line continues to produce like they did on Saturday)
Radek Bonk
Mikhail Grabovsky (I think it's a decent try if u wanna keep Bonk on 3rd line)
Alex Kovalev (moving him to center)
Mike Johnson(see above)

Options on UFA market:

Yannick Perreault
Jason Allison

Trade Options(potentially available, now or later in season)

Viktor Kozlov
Tyler Arnason
Mike Comrie
Pavel Datsyuk (don't know if Det willing to trade him or not)
Sergei Federov
Bobby Holik
Olli Jokinen(if Flo is out of playoff run..would they trade him and rebuild again?)
Mike Modano(D has lots of centers + Gainey/Stars connection)
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jeremy Roenick
Joe Sakic (if Col falls out of playoff race)
Brad Richards (if Tampa falls out of playoff race)
Vincent Lecavalier(see above)
Mats Sundin(see above)
Alex Tanguay (Flames coach called him out last week?)
Peter Forsberg (Flyers struggling, last year of contract)
Robert Lang
Some of those trade options look doubtful to me. Florida has a fair shot at the playoffs and wouldn't be eliminated by the trade deadline. Even if it were, the team has progressed and would want to retain Jokinen for a run next season. Brad Richards is having a miserable season so far and is way overpriced. Sundin would never be traded to the Habs...period. Victor Kozlov isn't as good as Plekanec. Detroit wouldn't trade Datsyuk. Lang will be a year older than he was when he was first discussed. The Flyers would be giving up hope if they traded Forsberg, and with 3 points they aren't that far behind the Habs, who have 10. Sakic is a fixture in Colorado. The Habs would be taking a big chance with Nieuwendyck, who's brittle at this age. Holik wouldn't help that much offensively, and besides Atlanta will be (actually, is) a playoff rival for the Habs. Tyler Arnason flunked with the Senators. Roenick is over the hill.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Chris Chelios

Viktor Kozlov Just signed by NYI they wont trade him
Tyler Arnason You really want him?
Mike Comrie We had Ribeiro ..
Pavel Datsyuk Not available!
Sergei Federov Done
Bobby Holik Makes too much,we dont have enough cap space
Olli Jokinen Not available
Mike Modano hes done
Joe Nieuwendyk hes done
Jeremy Roenick hes done
Joe Sakic colorado franchise player , they wont trade him ever
Brad Richards will cost too much and makes too much
Vincent Lecavalier see above
Mats Sundin Leaf franchise player , they wont trade him ever
and if they do , not to montreal
Alex Tanguay Calgary just got him m they wont trade him this season
Peter Forsberg Makes too much money and Philly is building the team around him, they may shopping for a goaltender now .. humm
Robert Lang The only possible option IMO

Chris Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Pascal

agreed with habs insider.

and i really don't think we "need" a C just yet.. let's see how pleks does after 25 games.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
and i really don't think we "need" a C just yet.. let's see how pleks does after 25 games.
Not yet, but at some point before the trade deadline Gainey will make a move for a center.

Bob is a no-nonsense kind of guy and there is NO WAY he goes into the playoffs with the same weakness that killed him last playoff.

And no, trading Ribeiro wasn't his solution.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
LePoche69

I don't know much about trades, I don't think much about trades. And in a way, I don't care. I like our team, and I always liked seeing a team trying hard to make adjustments from itself.

That said, surprisingly maybe, I wouldn't be overly surprise if Gainey makes a move sonner than later, let's say between game no. 15 and game no. 25. Why? To me, Gainey is from the old school who prefers to make trades when everything goes well rather than when everything goes wrong. I remember reading an interview with I don't remember who between Arbour and Savard. Anyway, he was saying that when things go well, it's easier to pinpoint your true weakness, therefore allowing you to make a trade. Moreover, when things go well, I guess that the other GM doesn't try to rob you the same way 'cause you're not in a panic situation. Anyway, it's just for the sake of discussion...

Are things going well? Mmmm...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Maxpac

Perfect fit would be Nathan Horton imo

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Gainey should take a slow but sane route to making the Habs contenders. I don't want to see them make a desperate play for someone who might not even want to stay with them when his contract expired. Getting a 35-year-old Modano doesn't neutralize the fact that the Penguins have 18-, 19-, and 20-year old potential (perhaps real) superstar caliber centers in Staal, Malkin, and Crosby. Where would the Habs be if Modano defected or retired after they gave up several good young prospects to acquire him? Up the creek without a paddle.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
Perfect fit would be Nathan Horton imo
True.

I would trade Plekanec and high ranked prospect like Chipchura and pick for him.

I love that guy, I don't if Florida would trade him (everything can happen, Carolina have trade JJ for a some ****..)

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
True.

I would trade Plekanec and high ranked prospect like Chipchura and pick for him.

I love that guy, I don't if Florida would trade him (everything can happen, Carolina have trade JJ for a some ****..)
Hey HF willnot.......I think you should think more about tiding up your rearend then even thinking about getin rid of Pleks. You speak no english biatch.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
goalchenyuk

for me the best option would be Lecavalier , but it's not realistic .

Second option would be Marleau . I know that by now , they ask a lot for him , but may after playing several games their expectations can decrease .

Old
10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Any interest in Brendan Morrison? I doubt he's traded, but with his salary($3.2 mil) the Canucks may shop him in order to save some cash to get Sami Salo signed long term.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:40 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Some of those trade options look doubtful to me. Florida has a fair shot at the playoffs and wouldn't be eliminated by the trade deadline. Even if it were, the team has progressed and would want to retain Jokinen for a run next season. Brad Richards is having a miserable season so far and is way overpriced. Sundin would never be traded to the Habs...period. Victor Kozlov isn't as good as Plekanec. Detroit wouldn't trade Datsyuk. Lang will be a year older than he was when he was first discussed. The Flyers would be giving up hope if they traded Forsberg, and with 3 points they aren't that far behind the Habs, who have 10. Sakic is a fixture in Colorado. The Habs would be taking a big chance with Nieuwendyck, who's brittle at this age. Holik wouldn't help that much offensively, and besides Atlanta will be (actually, is) a playoff rival for the Habs. Tyler Arnason flunked with the Senators. Roenick is over the hill.
25 games !!!

With the training camp Pleky has close to 10 games with that line , and he still a non-factor that has no clue of how being effective with his linemates .

And don't take it as i say that he plays bad , but simply that he 's not a good complement of the others .

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 10-22-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old
10-22-2006, 06:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
Hey HF willnot.......I think you should think more about tiding up your rearend then even thinking about getin rid of Pleks. You speak no english biatch.
Pleky is a cheap good overall forward player , but nothing that makes him untradeable . He,still didn't prove his offensive abilities and we have Lapierre who is knoking at the door , that can plays similar defensive game .