HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Ive said before, I'll say it again. Acquiring these depth players isn't as easy so many, including Mact, have said.

I will not be the least bit surprising, that, after another dissapointing season (with much the same lineup) many will admit what others have already. Namely, it will take the trade of at least of the big 5 to balance this roster.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:38 AM
MrOiler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I'll wait training camp starts. If any of Hemsky, Horcoff, or Belanger are on this roster. Then he failed. Then I'll wait until the end of the season to assess again.
I agree with this.

It's way too early to get your panties in a twist. It's July 1st for crisakes.

Climb down from the ledge, folks.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
I agree with this.

It's way too early to get your panties in a twist. It's July 1st for crisakes.

Climb down from the ledge, folks.

So what you're saying here in a thread entitled "Mact's performance thus far", is that no one is allowed to display a negative opinion about the way he is going about his business without it being construed as hysterical overreaction?

Ok then.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
So what you're saying here in a thread entitled "Mact's performance thus far", is that no one is allowed to display a negative opinion about the way he is going about his business without it being construed as hysterical overreaction?

Ok then.
so what exactly has mact done so far to warrent this negative opinion? was it NOT overpaying for schnider, clutterbuck, and coburn? or maybe it was hiring the most sought after head coach on the market? no it's probably turning 6 draft picks into 10 in what is widely considered the deepest draft in the past decade.

many posters on here have just been waiting for any reason whatsoever to throw mact under the bus, not because of the job he's doing as gm, but soley because he's craig mactavish and part of the oilers "old boys club"

at least give the guy one full off-season to prove that he's a competent gm, if this team looks to be largely the same team as last year come spring training,then fine tear him apart, but jesus, free agency hasn't even started yet give the guy a chance to prove himself.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:22 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
MacT's performance can be summed up with one word... Poor.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:35 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
many posters on here have just been waiting for any reason whatsoever to throw mact under the bus, not because of the job he's doing as gm, but soley because he's craig mactavish and part of the oilers "old boys club"
Some useful truth right here folks.

I mean its become normal on this board to mock a guy for having won five SC in this town.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Blain was never offered a contract.

He is no longer Oiler property.

Also trade talks are never going to heat up for Hemsky and Horcoff. We will be lucky to find someone to take them off our hands without us having to eat half their salary or buy them out altogether.

Mactavish isnt "cleaning up" Tambellini's mess. Tambellini laid the foundation for this team. He got rid of a large pile of what seems like never-ending junk. The mess was always Kevin Lowe's, but somehow he is still making player personnel decisions on this team and Tambellini is unemployed.

Shows how badly dysfunctional the organization is.
Oh they will be offered for some extreme low balls , and only because Mac T said he was moving them to press which was a rookie gm mistake imo. Horcoff will be 1/2 salary retention for sure . I still think there are enough team under the cap that are interested in Hemsky for offensive reasons and only 1 year remaining on deal. But they should of been shopped quietly imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:43 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsOilersfan View Post
It's funny about all these 'tambo' haters. Sorry,but you guys don't have a freaking clue about what goes on behind closed doors. I'll say it again (and again and again) Tambo had NOTHING to deal with when he took over. Go ahead tambo haters, prove me wrong. Go back to the first year he was GM here and YOU tell ME what we had that if you were a GM you'd trade for. Our farm system was a joke, our future prospects NON EXISTENT. His mandate first and formost was to build a FARM SYSTEM - you can't do that if you trade away all your picks.

Tambo was not a bad GM - he was actually really good by NOT trading away future picks/prospects for a bunch of ahole hockey players who would only be here a year or two then leave.

MacT is now starting to see just how tough it is. NOBODY is lining up for Hemsky or Horcoff - If you were a GM would you offer good players/prospect them? One of our top 4 will need to be traded and it's still a bit too early to do it. You gotta give to get and the 'get' has to be worth it. No one is interested in making us better right now.

MacT did alright - I wanted Jarry though you never know down the road we could trade for him
I wasn't a Tambo basher.

I realized that Tambo needed to sit on his hands.
It's just retarded that they brought Mac-T in to do the same thing. Mac-T must do something otherwise Kevin Lowe is just showing off that he can't help but play favourites even if it means the end of someone's job or hurting someone's reputation.
I bet Tambo wouldn't have come to Edmonton if he knew K-Lowe was going to treat him like this.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:44 AM
JonQuixote

You know how sometimes when you don't have kids you criticize people who do about how they raise them. "Well, my kid will never throw a tantrum in a store or wear a dirty shirt or scream on an airplane or act up in school." And then once you have them, when you're carrying them hollering and kicking out of Safeway you flash back to your own big mouth from your pre-kid days?

I think MacTavish had a weekend sort of like that.

That doesn't make him a bad GM. But I suspect he's going to sound a lot less like an HF poster when he talks about his plans at his next press conference.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
so what exactly has mact done so far to warrent this negative opinion? was it NOT overpaying for schnider, clutterbuck, and coburn? or maybe it was hiring the most sought after head coach on the market? no it's probably turning 6 draft picks into 10 in what is widely considered the deepest draft in the past decade.

at least give the guy one full off-season to prove that he's a competent gm, if this team looks to be largely the same team as last year come spring training,then fine tear him apart, but jesus, free agency hasn't even started yet give the guy a chance to prove himself.
Nothing would be the word Im looking for. He promised us champagne and caviar and delivered happy pop and boiled hot dogs on stale buns.

Lol at everyone coming to the rescue for poor old mistreated Craig Mactavish. Ive been a fan of this team since before they were even in the nhl. Before Craig Mactavish or Kevin Lowe ever donned the uniform. I loved them and respected them both as players. They were both warriors.

That doesnt mean I cant have an objective pov when it comes to their misadventures in the front office. Gretzky was the best to ever play the game. Stuff I saw him do on a regular basis was truly something to behold. But he was a flop as a coach in the nhl. Does that mean I "hate" Wayne Gretzky? Does that mean I want him to fail? Does it mean that I cant wait to throw him under the bus?

That's a completely misguided and ridiculous notion. This team sucks and has sucked due to the poor decision making of Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish. Cup rings be damned. Ill be damned if I cant speak about it in an honest, straight forward manner because some "fans" cant handle the truth.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
You know how sometimes when you don't have kids you criticize people who do about how they raise them. "Well, my kid will never throw a tantrum in a store or wear a dirty shirt or scream on an airplane or act up in school." And then once you have them, when you're carrying them hollering and kicking out of Safeway you flash back to your own big mouth from your pre-kid days?

That doesn't make him a bad GM. But I suspect he's going to sound a lot less like an HF poster when he talks about his plans at his next press conference.
I don't know about that.

Mac-T was a coach here for long enough that we can describe him as an "Active Uncle" who should have had a good idea what actually being a "Dad" was going to be like.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:51 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I wasn't a Tambo basher.

I realized that Tambo needed to sit on his hands.
It's just retarded that they brought Mac-T in to do the same thing. Mac-T must do something otherwise Kevin Lowe is just showing off that he can't help but play favourites even if it means the end of someone's job or hurting someone's reputation.
I bet Tambo wouldn't have come to Edmonton if he knew K-Lowe was going to treat him like this.
Tambellini didnt sit on his hands. Neither did Craig Mactavish this past weekend. They ran into brick walls. You can "want" to make changes till you are blue in the face, but if you dont have the buy in, you cant get a seat at the table, and you are left watching with a handful of chips jingling around in your pocket.

Simply put we dont have the organizational depth to be throwing around picks/prospects/and quality nhl players in trade talks. So we are left trying to pawn off our rusty Pintos in hopes of snagging a Cadillac, only to find weve been handed the keys to a Gremlin. Rinse and repeat.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I don't know about that.

Mac-T was a coach here for long enough that we can describe him as an "Active Uncle" who should have had a good idea what actually being a "Dad" was going to be like.
I think Jon hit the nail on the head actually. Most of Craig's tonto-esque wheeling and dealing days came on the heels of the last lockout, where Lowe had miles of cap space to take advantage of cap strapped teams to pick off vets they didnt want to part with but could no longer afford.

No such luck this time thanks to the cap circumventing "compliance buyout" get out of jail free cards. That has pretty much stifled what Im sure was Craig's grand plans to pull off a Pronger 2.0 type deal.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:06 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Its pretty obvious these GMs want to take advantage of rookie MacT, and rightfully so. Holmgren wanted Smid for Coburn. So now do you blame MacT for not getting him.

MacT should make some deals with some weaker trading GMs like Feaster, Gillis and Snow before jumping in the ring with the big boys
I agree feed off the weaklings of the crop.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I think Jon hit the nail on the head actually. Most of Craig's tonto-esque wheeling and dealing days came on the heels of the last lockout, where Lowe had miles of cap space to take advantage of cap strapped teams to pick off vets they didnt want to part with but could no longer afford.

No such luck this time thanks to the cap circumventing "compliance buyout" get out of jail free cards. That has pretty much stifled what Im sure was Craig's grand plans to pull off a Pronger 2.0 type deal.
Fair enough.

I think if Mac-T is ever going to be "bold" he is going to have to take a look at moving some of the core pieces his predecessor put in place.
'
Guys like Eberle, Gagner and an assortment of prospects are the players other teams want to talk about.

I think...when Mac-T tries to spin the wares of guys like Pitlick and/or Lander...his traction is going to be put him right where he is right meow.

It's gonna come down to the same thing I said when we had guys like Schremp, Brule and MAP....you gotta **** or get off the pot sometimes with some of these guys.

Identify one (or more) of your top prospects who don't quite fit here...but...are an enticing idea for someone else...and exchange them in order to address "needs".

That's the idea of stockpiling draft picks, really.

Mac-T has already made it hard for himself...IMO...by making a verbal commitment to all his players with the exception of the two most obviously impossible pieces to get rid of.........

Hemmer & Horc.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:14 AM
thinlizzy

Mac T should not have basically said Horc and Hemmer were gone. Bad rookie move. Think it, not say it.

If no deals are to get done then what I would do is pick Eakin's brain and try and grab the best minors guys they can to fill some holes. I don't like what we have going into the next year so I would rather have eager players then dead weight we already have. Any change is welcomed.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

There are many reasons, all of which have been mentioned many times by quite a few people in this thread. Most of them are not in the simplistic vein "we didn't get the players we wanted" theme you want to make it out to be either. Furthermore, if we judged GMs by their ability avoid potential bad deals by not making any at all, then we should be enshrining Tambo in the Hall of Fame right now.

But this thread isn't "rate the GM for his entire year of work" or "rate the GM for the entire offseason of work", it's the "rate Mact's performance up to this point" thread, and surprise! Some people don't agree with your lollipops and sunshine take on the proceedings, nor does our disagreement with your take make us emotionally unbalanced idiots who are ready to throw ourselves off a bridge.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:27 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post

Summed up perfectly.

To contrast, Nill predicted the difficulty and insane prices of acquiring experienced puck movers, and struck quickly to overpay short term, for a former all-star before the frenzy. He also turned their 10OV into a value pick for a player, that dropped due to the hospital he was born in, who could possibly contribute in the top six next season. 2 moves and Dallas is probably a markedly better team.

I can't blame MacT for the position he's been put in. Lowe is so arrogant that he hasn't learned, over years, what MacT has learned in a few months. He's a step up from Lowe and Dithers, despite not doing all that well so far

Last edited by Sheikyerbouti: 07-02-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Baggers

Re: Tambo

I didn't think he was as bad as many here made him out to be either - I'm pretty sure his mandate was to lose, acquire high end talent through the draft, and not make any major screwups that would hurt the Oilers' cap - but his inability to turn Hemsky, Whitney, Khabby, etc. into picks plus having the team go into a tailspin after the trade deadline sealed his fate.

I also hated the hire of MacT, but I do like that he didn't get taken advantage of at the draft and parlayed 6 draft choices into 10.

Fact is, trading for Schneider would have hurt the Oil more than it helped, Chicago wasn't trading Bolland within the conference, and neither was Minnesota (in regards to Clutterbuck).

The only move that was possibly questionable was choosing Nurse over Nichuskin, but on that one I'm more than willing to give the team's scouting dept the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, if he doesn't fill any holes over the next week, I'll probably join the chorus calling for his head.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:26 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post

I also hated the hire of MacT, but I do like that he didn't get taken advantage of at the draft and parlayed 6 draft choices into 10.
There are no quick fixes for this team. In fact, there are probably not even fixes. I'm happy that MacT's impatience hasn't really produced results.

I think this team will go as far as the young guns will carry them. And this year's disappointment is due to the fact that they're still so damned young. The only thing that's going to fix this team is time.

And when it gets fixed, I'm sure whoever is left standing in management is going to stand there and take credit. "See, where Tambellini went wrong was that he brought in Belanger and Whitney and Khabibulin, the wrong type of players. He didn't fix our depth. But I, I brought in Peverly and Hainsey and Emery, the right type of players. I fixed our depth."

And Pierre Maguire will say "they finally get it!"

Meanwhile, Hall and Yakupov will be scoring 40 a season and won't be turning it over like epileptic Hemskies whenever they line up against veteran stars, Schultz will stop bleeding scoring chances against, Eberle will settle and go back to taking away the puck more than giving it up, RNH will grow into a top-centre with the help of a better shoulder and guys like Paajarvi and Petry will stabilize into reliable, useful players.

Things that they're all going to do no matter what. Management can help them a little bit, but all they can do is support them.

This team will get into the playoffs on their backs, when those players are ready. With or without a Nathan Horton or a David Bolland. Just like the Islanders did this year.

And once you're there, that's when you start risking big prices like 1st round picks or 23 year old forwards, in order to acquire stuff to put you over the top. Whatever that may be at the time.

In the meantime, you make low-investment, low-risk moves to help the process along. And you remain patient.

This team has 3 1st overall picks, a handful of other stars in the making that are practically just as good, and a few damned solid players with 1st round pedigrees that are still getting better. The future is going to happen, and soon.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:48 AM
JaredCowenFan
BROOCCKK LESNAR

Good. I hope he does a deal to land Coburn, involving Hemsky in it and whatever else. Love most of the Draft picks, including Nurse! Love the kid!

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:17 AM
Petes2424

When they traded down for all the extra picks, it told me one of two things were happening. Either they just wanted more lottery picks in later rounds hoping for the best (which some teams actually do) or that they have a plan, they trust in their scouting and they really studied that 120 player lot and had some good information to go on. Howson took a lot of grief with the Jackets but I trust his evaluations in a lot of areas. He's a good hockey guy. After the picks they made, it seems as though there was a plan. One player I really thought would fit well was Tyler Bertuzzi but he went pretty high. I thought a 3rd for him would've been a great pick but not to be.

I like what he's done so far. There's a commitment there and there shouldnt be any panic until a team is actually fielded. I thought Carolina made a good trade picking up Sekera and Im not sure if he had a shot at obtaining him. The Clutterbuck thing just wasnt gonna happen. Not for what Minn received for him. Let's see who he signs in UFA. I have a couple of guys I think they should really pursue.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Nail and Nuge

People that are accusing posters of impatience are missing a major point:

Currency. The reason so many are angry is that a major resource to acquire talent is now gone. Our draft picks, specifically our second round picks (according to MacT) were bargaining tools to acquire depth now.

We are now forced to wait for a UFA class that is far from impressive to improve our team.

Lastly, I don't understand why we are comparing the Oil to the other teams when looking at activity levels. More than the massive majority, the Oilers needed (and made a statement of need) to acquire depth now.

What happened to exposing ourselves to risk to acquire talent? Just because the Bolland, Clutterbuck, Schneider, Sekera were the only trades, does not mean there weren't other trades available.

MacT's tenure post-Eakins acquisition has been a failure.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:38 AM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
There are many reasons, all of which have been mentioned many times by quite a few people in this thread. Most of them are not in the simplistic vein "we didn't get the players we wanted" theme you want to make it out to be either. Furthermore, if we judged GMs by their ability avoid potential bad deals by not making any at all, then we should be enshrining Tambo in the Hall of Fame right now.

But this thread isn't "rate the GM for his entire year of work" or "rate the GM for the entire offseason of work", it's the "rate Mact's performance up to this point" thread, and surprise! Some people don't agree with your lollipops and sunshine take on the proceedings nor does our disagreement with your take make us emotionally unbalanced idiots who are ready to throw ourselves off a bridge.
tambo didn't make significant deals because he was afraid of getting his pee pee slapped by lowe if the deal turned out bad for the oilers, plain and simple. tambo had no balls.

sunshine and lollipops are the last ****in things i would use to describe the oilers organization right now, but that doesn't mean i'm ready to write off mact before he's even had any kind of a chance to prove himself in the gm position. the guys had 3 months so far to try and fix the disaster of a roster he inherited from a coward of a gm. so if were to rate his performance so far, i would rate it as inconclusive.

at least wait till the start of the season before you declare him the worst gm EVAR!!!! if hes turns out to be as bad as you guys think then i'm sure you'll have plenty of chances over the next 5 years or so to make mact voodoo dolls that you can desacrate to your hearts delight.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Again I get we need results but again, it's been as some posted ten weeks. Off season just began.

So put away the ****ing pitchforks and be a bit more patient.
MacT quote "I am not patient."

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote