HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 04:13 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 500
Was looking through his old tweets and he said: if he was on the wings he would beat the crap out of shaw then punch bickells teeth in. LOL

Old
07-02-2013, 05:03 AM
MDN

Just read an article with an analysis of McCarron, I liked the pick last night, I like it more now.

Link to the article - http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...rst-round-pick

Old
07-02-2013, 05:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Whats Grant comments on him?
He spent the last 2 weeks propping him up..

Which is WHY I am baffled not seeing him since the Draft. Someone knows if he decided to hang his keyboard?

Old
07-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
People here seem to play this guy up because he was drafted by the Canadians. If he was so good with this size he would have gone tops ten. The only reason he went in the first is because of his size. If he was six feet 180 he would go much much later. Go ahead blast me

The Canadians wasted a first round pick for a maybe fourth liner.

What a disgrace
Nobody mentions that he doesn't have any flaws. It is a risk. A risk that some teams beleived was worth it. Some others don't. We'll see who will be right in a few years.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:58 AM
HatTricK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
Just read an article with an analysis of McCarron, I liked the pick last night, I like it more now.

Link to the article - http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...rst-round-pick
Really interesting read, thank you for the sharing.
I don't know anything about player development. I was just hoping he would go to the OHL so he could play more, I thought it would help him improve better than staying in College but after reading this I've changed my mind.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow, and I hope I'm wrong....I believe he'll choose Western Michigan. I'm really perplexed as to why the Habs doesn,t really want to give the kids a clear indication as to where to play. I mean, maybe they do it and we don't know about but in the public, they keep saying that they'll let the kid play. And in this article, McCarron even goes beyond that and says something along the lines of "I'll ask the Habs what they think of the situation but "I don't know if that's going to be the determining factor...."

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/01/bi...gan-university

Old
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Funny you couldn't spell Canadiens, then...
What ?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:47 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
What ?
I think he means that a "real fan" would know how to spell Montreal Canadiens.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
He spent the last 2 weeks propping him up..

Which is WHY I am baffled not seeing him since the Draft. Someone knows if he decided to hang his keyboard?
He was around. Popped in for a few posts. Keep in mind, he was very busy during draft weekend. He was keeping his eyes on the draft and checking in with TSN 690 at the same time. I don't blame him for wanting to take a well-deserved rest now that the draft is over.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-02-2013, 07:20 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, and I hope I'm wrong....I believe he'll choose Western Michigan. I'm really perplexed as to why the Habs doesn,t really want to give the kids a clear indication as to where to play. I mean, maybe they do it and we don't know about but in the public, they keep saying that they'll let the kid play. And in this article, McCarron even goes beyond that and says something along the lines of "I'll ask the Habs what they think of the situation but "I don't know if that's going to be the determining factor...."

he seems such like a bit of a doucher though. wouldn't surprise me if he chose WM 'cause of the parties. london is clearly his best option hockey-wise.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
he seems such like a bit of a doucher though. wouldn't surprise me if he chose WM 'cause of the parties. london is clearly his best option hockey-wise.
If I remember correctly, he had already committed. If he is now second-guessing himself and asking for Bergevin and Timmins' advice, it's not for nothing. That tells me he wants to take the best route possible, hockey-wise, and could end up playing in London. That's a far cry from being a "doucher."

Old
07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
onice

Quote:
I'm really perplexed as to why the Habs doesn,t really want to give the kids a clear indication as to where to play. I mean, maybe they do it and we don't know about but in the public, they keep saying that they'll let the kid play. And in this article, McCarron even goes beyond that and says something along the lines of "I'll ask the Habs what they think of the situation but "I don't know if that's going to be the determining factor...."

Marc bergevin said on camera he had a preference but did not want to divulge it before speaking to McCaron.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Gally11

It seemed pretty obvious they preferred the OHL the way they smiled at some of the OHL questions.. And based on what they wanted Tinordi to do

Old
07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Marc bergevin said on camera he had a preference but did not want to divulge it before speaking to McCaron.
His pereference is the OHL that's for sure. London will be so good again next season.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Et le But

Well, maybe they want him to play for a winner.

Andy Murray is probably going to win Wimbledon after all.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Grant McCagg

No use in the Habs saying their intentions for him before it's been discussed with McCarron. It's a no-win situation, as ultimately, it's up to the player. The Habs don't want to create ill will with any other organization.

As for the Peters fellow saying the Habs didn't draft him to be a fighter..... I'd disagree with that. They didn't draft him to be just a fighter, but they are not going to discourage him from dropping the gloves either. That's part of the package.

Also disagree with his opinion that playing in London could result in him being pigeon holed as a fighter - the Hunters don't throw their prospects to the wolves. Was Tinordi asked by the Hunters to fight all the time? Mac will be asked to play an important role with the Knights if he goes there, and would likely play with Horvat and Domi on a scoring line.

That said - I want him to fight a few times next season as he clearly WANTS to fight when the time calls for it. You are not going to learn how to fight playing college hockey as well as you will playing in the OHL.

The first thing McCarron asked Trevor T about development camp was "will they allow fighting"?

I hope he skates up to Lucic some day and floors him. Are the odds good that he will be able to do it? Probably not, but the odds of him being able to hold his own with Boston's "tough guy" are higher if he goes to play in London.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Will he be apart of the American team in Malmo this winter?
He's going to their August evaluation camp (so is Vail), so he's on the radar.

If he does well there, his performance in the fall will determine if he makes it or not. With it being in Sweden, which means the international sized rink, it might not be as necessary for the US to have a player of his ilk on the club as it would be on a NA rink.

Looking at some of the tweets McC has favorited, there are bunch from London fans begging him to commit to London back in late May...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The first thing McCarron asked Trevor T about development camp was "will they allow fighting"?
This may be signature worthy, awesome.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:28 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
No use in the Habs saying their intentions for him before it's been discussed with McCarron. It's a no-win situation, as ultimately, it's up to the player. The Habs don't want to create ill will with any other organization.

As for the Peters fellow saying the Habs didn't draft him to be a fighter..... I'd disagree with that. They didn't draft him to be just a fighter, but they are not going to discourage him from dropping the gloves either. That's part of the package.

Also disagree with his opinion that playing in London could result in him being pigeon holed as a fighter - the Hunters don't throw their prospects to the wolves. Was Tinordi asked by the Hunters to fight all the time? Mac will be asked to play an important role with the Knights if he goes there, and would likely play with Horvat and Domi on a scoring line.

That said - I want him to fight a few times next season as he clearly WANTS to fight when the time calls for it. You are not going to learn how to fight playing college hockey as well as you will playing in the OHL.

I hope he skates up to Lucic some day and floors him. Are the odds good that he will be able to do it? Probably not, but the odds of him being able to hold his own with Boston's "tough guy" are higher if he goes to play in London.
I think him going to London is the right choice. You want him to learn how to fight and you want him to play in a league where he will be allowed to throw big checks without being penalized for it all the time. The Hunters have an excellent track record with developing prospects and there is no harm in him going there.

If he does round out a line with Horvat-Domi, he will get to learn how to play with top talents, another thing we want him to learn how to do before he gets to the NHL level. He will be able to perform the role for them we will want him to perform for the likes of the Gally's in the coming seasons.

Most of all, he's going to learn how to win. This is the team that will be going to the Memorial Cup for the 3rd straight season, he'll play a lot of hockey, he'll win a lot of games and I want that thirst for winning to be instilled in our team. One thing is for sure, we've got a lot of winners coming into the organization.. Collberg, Fucale, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and Bournival. I really hope that I can add Mike to the list. We want competitors and winners.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
HockeyFan87

I would prefer that he goes to the OHL tbh.

Yes, Andy Murray is a good coach and he will work with McCarron to improve his skills no doubt, but so does the Hunter brothers (they did it with Tinordi) and in addition, he will be able to drop the gloves, which he says is an IMPORTANT part of his game. I don't think the Hunter brothers will push McCarron to always fight and to play like an enforcer. I think they will rather work with him in the areas where he wants to improve like they did with Tinordi but they surely won't stop him to play his style of game (agressive, physical and likes to drop the gloves). And that is without saying that his game seems better suited to the OHL than the colleges.

At the end of the day, I just don't want this guy ending up like Komisarek in the NHL, a guy who plays though that gets humiliated in a fight when facing a though customer in the NHL.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:

McCarron is awesome!!! That's why i'm pretty sure he's going to London.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Clearly habs would want him in london its no coincidence they compared him to Tinordi... who himself was brought to London... the question only remains, does McCarron want to play junior hockey in canada?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Clearly habs would want him in london its no coincidence they compared him to Tinordi... who himself was brought to London... the question only remains, does McCarron want to play junior hockey in canada?
If he didn't, would he have really asked Timmins and Bergevin what they think he should do between going to London or going to WM?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Dagistitsyn

Not that it really matters much because I'd rather him become a top 6 powerforward than a goon, but has he ever even fought before?

The first thing he asked Timmins about the Development camp was "Will there be fighting?" .. and I see a lot of people hoping he can become our Lucic. Just because he's huge doesn't mean he will be a good fighter. There's lots of giant goons who actually are terrible at fighting. I like that he is eager to prove that he can, but.. has he fought yet? Pretty sure there's no fights in the league he played in.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Not that it really matters much because I'd rather him become a top 6 powerforward than a goon, but has he ever even fought before?

The first thing he asked Timmins about the Development camp was "Will there be fighting?" .. and I see a lot of people hoping he can become our Lucic. Just because he's huge doesn't mean he will be a good fighter. There's lots of giant goons who actually are terrible at fighting. I like that he is eager to prove that he can, but.. has he fought yet? Pretty sure there's no fights in the league he played in.
THere has been fighting in the league he's played since he became a junior player.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Can't believe I'll say that....I mean I am a NCAA fan but I always prefer our prospects to play in the CHL ....but geez do Andy Murray have SOLID arguments....

https://twitter.com/Habsfuture/statu...14896225898497
RT @WSpy: Coach of the Michigan Bronco's on TSN690 now, says they just measured Mike McCarron recently at 6'6" 240lbs with very low body fat

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/sta...15236706918400
Andy Murray: "If McCaron plays 2yrs at WMichigan he'll work on speed & skill. He will be playing in NHL in 2 years, maybe even 1yr from now"

Will McCarron be a circus show where he'll concentate in fighting while in order to make him a top 6, make him indeed concentrate in his speed and skills....I know he could do that in London too....but then, will the fighting help him to develop or will it make him more a sideshow than anything else. I'm on the fence...wouldn't be oppose to see him in Western Michigan even if they are MY enemy....
I read an article that if he goes to Murray, he'll become a better player and if he goes to London he'll become a better fighter.

I'd prefer we focus on him becoming a better player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We said the same thing about Tinordi. He didn't turned bad! He worked on his defensive game, transition game + physical game. I prefer London A LOT more.

And the Hunters brother trade a lot to make sure they draft McCarron. They won't let him go this easy, espicially on a mémorial cup season.
Are they contenders for the cup this year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
And if McCarron really wants to be the next "Lucic", he better go to the OHL!!
I don't want him to be the next Lucic. He's big enough and powerful enough already, I'd prefer that we make sure he can play the game. He can learn and grow into the fighting later. Right now we should hone his skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
LOL i laughed so hard at that.
Well, he is kind of a mongoloid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akipa View Post
Top Shelf Prospects did not like this pick whatsoever. They had him ranked as the 60th prospect and think the Habs reached quite a bit to grab him. It was all due to his size.

Full Profile: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-60/
On the positive side, players with size sometimes aren't projected to do much and develop over time. Corey Perry, Lucic... both guys that weren't seen as being great. One thing about size is that no matter what you have that behind you. You can't teach six foot six and 250 pounds. You either have it or you don't. So maybe this guy just has to grow into his body.

If it is a reach right now, there's certainly reason to do it. And let's face it, these are the kinds of gambles you can take when you're drafting at 25th overall. It's not like we passed over Seth Jones to take him.

Closed Thread