HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Craig Conroy for on 2nd line ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2006, 01:38 PM
  #1
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Craig Conroy for our 2nd line ?

Rumour is Los Angles is shopping him .
2nd line center we could desperatly use .
$2.394 million . He is Cabro type player
I'd definailty love Conroy on this team


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303407

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:42 PM
  #2
TroyM
Registered User
 
TroyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Can't say I'd mind having a guy like Conroy if the price is right! It would take another opportunity from a youngster who might be ready but damn, in my opinion Conroy is welcome on the Habs any day! Definitely wouldn't give up much for him though.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:44 PM
  #3
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Rumour is Los Angles is shopping him .
2nd line center we could desperatly use .
$2.394 million . He is Cabro type player
I'd definailty love Conroy on this team


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303407
I'd love to have Conroy. he should've never left. I think he's a natural for our 2nd line. I think though, Doug, that we should ban phrases like 'Carbo, or Gainey type player. All the coaches in the league appreciate hard working 2 way players. Let's ban that one and maybe, 'since we all know that Sheldon wants to play in California'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:45 PM
  #4
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Rumour is Los Angles is shopping him .
2nd line center we could desperatly use .
$2.394 million . He is Cabro type player
I'd definailty love Conroy on this team


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303407
Yes I would. What about the cap? And it seems they want prospects or youth. Anyone of you ready to get rid of Perez or Pleks for him? Or is the prospects asked are more in the line of 2005-2006 picks????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:46 PM
  #5
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
that would mean bonk on the 4th line again. I don't know if i'd want him there given how well he has played on the 3rd.

Give Pleks his chance.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:47 PM
  #6
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'd love to have Conroy. he should've never left. I think he's a natural for our 2nd line. I think though, Doug, that we should ban phrases like 'Carbo, or Gainey type player. All the coaches in the league appreciate hard working 2 way players. Let's ban that one and maybe, 'since we all know that Sheldon wants to play in California'.
sorry mcphee it wont happen again

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:49 PM
  #7
les Habs
Registered User
 
les Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Country: United States
Posts: 9,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Give Pleks his chance.
Agreed. It's too early to give up on him and that line just yet.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
  #8
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Wont happen. No way Conroy is delt to the habs.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
  #9
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
I'd definitely take Conroy. He'd be ideal.

Question is, what would you have the Habs give up for him?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
  #10
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Conroy? Do it!

Send Lats to Jr. Bonk with Begin, Murray. Pleks with Perez and Johnson. There's a hockey team.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:53 PM
  #11
les Habs
Registered User
 
les Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Country: United States
Posts: 9,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Conroy? Do it!

Send Lats to Jr. Bonk with Begin, Murray. Pleks with Perez and Johnson. There's a hockey team.
Never thought about Lats to Junior. IMO that needs to happen. His appetite has been wet, now let's not rush him.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
  #12
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
sorry mcphee it wont happen again
no offense, we all do it. We should start a list of clicheed statements and the worst offenders have to donate $ to charity. Add in how players become 'dominant' after every good game.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
  #13
Goalie3636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
I'd rather see us go after Yanic Perrault in free agency first,, before we have to give something up for Conroy. Perrault is a beast in the face-off circle and is a great set-up man for Kovalev.

Goalie3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
  #14
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie3636 View Post
I'd rather see us go after Yanic Perrault in free agency first,, before we have to give something up for Conroy. Perrault is a beast in the face-off circle and is a great set-up man for Kovalev.
Are you kidding me?

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:01 PM
  #15
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Always been a fan of Conroy. Would look very good at center for the Habs. That being said, who do you give who both doesn't create a hole bigger than the one we're trying to fill and has enough value to interest LA? Furthermore, Conroy is getting up there as far as critical NHL age is concerned. Somehow my guess is Plekanec would need to be the player going back the other way along with a prospect and I wouldn't do that for a 1-year rental.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:06 PM
  #16
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Always been a fan of Conroy. Would look very good at center for the Habs. That being said, who do you give who both doesn't create a hole bigger than the one we're trying to fill and has enough value to interest LA? Furthermore, Conroy is getting up there as far as critical NHL age is concerned. Somehow my guess is Plekanec would need to be the player going back the other way along with a prospect and I wouldn't do that for a 1-year rental.
I'd hate to see a guy like Perez, or Pleks be moved. I've come to appreciate them both and hope their numbers refect their efforts soon. When your team takes on a mindset of agressively forechecking, creating turnovers, you hate to move the speed that gives you that style. Both players may end up being stat disappointments, but it may not matter.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
  #17
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
We don't have the cap space. I'd say it's worth a look if we can get all our D healthy again, and therefore move one of them (not neccesarily to LA, but somewhere else perhaps), but right now we're in too much of a bind unless Dandenault has to be put on long-term IR which doesn't appear to be the case.

Any team would love to have Craig Conroy on it. But it doesn't appear realistic at this point, as we can't trade any of our D right now. I guess we could try and deal Bonk to get the cap space (both C's, both play similar roles except Conroy would provide more O), but obviously not in exchange for each other.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:11 PM
  #18
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
We don't have the cap space. I'd say it's worth a look if we can get all our D healthy again, and therefore move one of them (not neccesarily to LA, but somewhere else perhaps), but right now we're in too much of a bind unless Dandenault has to be put on long-term IR which doesn't appear to be the case.

Any team would love to have Craig Conroy on it. But it doesn't appear realistic at this point, as we can't trade any of our D right now. I guess we could try and deal Bonk to get the cap space (both C's, both play similar roles except Conroy would provide more O), but obviously not in exchange for each other.
It's true that we don't have the cap space. We need to look inside our organisation for the solution to our second line. Pleks might still be that solution!

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:26 PM
  #19
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'd hate to see a guy like Perez, or Pleks be moved. I've come to appreciate them both and hope their numbers refect their efforts soon. When your team takes on a mindset of agressively forechecking, creating turnovers, you hate to move the speed that gives you that style. Both players may end up being stat disappointments, but it may not matter.
I agree, especially regarding Plekanec. But both players are pretty good fit for this team and its system regardless of immediate production. Not that Conroy wouldn't be mind you, but what do you do next year when Conroy is just one more UFA to fit under a 44M cap? I think we don't have the ressources to absorb such a deal long term.

A kings fan has suggested Kostitsyn on the rumor board and I could see that working better.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:30 PM
  #20
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Perezhogin's quickly becoming a favourite of mine, not to derail this topic.

I hope he gets some better quality ice time with some offensive-minded players, though.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:35 PM
  #21
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Perezhogin's quickly becoming a favourite of mine, not to derail this topic.

I hope he gets some better quality ice time with some offensive-minded players, though.
It would be nice to know what he'd do long term with Kovalev, I guess, but watching him right now, you wonder if he is just going to be a different style player than we envisionned. I've always brought up Brylin or even Rejean Houle as guys who were key contributors but not stat guys. Maybe Perez will be that type. I've wondered that about Plekanec too.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:37 PM
  #22
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 50
I don't really see how it would be feasible, but it would certainly take care of our 'smiling after goals' dilemma.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:40 PM
  #23
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Yeah, I like your comparison for Plekanec (Brylin), though I think Plekanec's got a little more offensive flair and strength to his game, but he's a guy you can see playing in all sorts of situations in different positions.

Perezhogin's got a pretty nice release on his wrister. He isn't afraid of going to the net and sets shop in the high slot while his linemates are cycling. Sometimes you see him about to put it all together to make a terrific shift.

I think Plekanec's out of his comfort zone right now while Perezhogin's not being challenged enough to bring it offensively. But who knows, if Ribeiro was still around I might be saying the same thing about Plekanec not being challenged enough offensively..

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:44 PM
  #24
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,331
vCash: 500
Conroy isn't really an option, IMO. You could have talked about dealing Ribeiro for him once upon a time, maybe. But instead we felt that our depth on D was a bigger issue than the 2nd line C issue, and we took on Niinimaa's contract instead. So now there just isn't room for Conroy. And maybe that's not such a bad thing... 35, 1 assist, and the kicker, the absolute killer: another year at $2.4M left after this year. Just looking at the thread about our UFA situation next summer, well, having Conroy's deal stuck on the books would just be more headaches. He was a good player, and I'd suggest he could still be a useful player... sort of like Bonk is for us right now... but we've already got Bonk. No need to clone him, and particularly not when we have no cap solution for the move to begin with. Non-starter, IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:48 PM
  #25
GSK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uzbekistan
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Conroy is a good 2-way.

But Kovalev got now 3-3-6, Samsonov 2-24...Its just time to Plekanec to wake up, he got 2 assists, ok right but what about Conroy?

0-1-1 in 8 games...

So give Plekanec a chance.

Thank You!

He's not bad at all... he got offensive upside for sure. Bash me if you want, but I'm still thinking that Plekanec can get 45-50 points this season and that without a lot of PP time.

And for Perezhogin, no doubt he'll end up with better number then last year, he palayed so far better then just 2 points, he got 2 or 3 posts I think and misses a great oppotunities last game. Perezhogin will be in the top-6 next year for sure and got some PP time this year. He can be a 30 goals scorer and 60-70 for sure.

Plekanec is 23, turn 24 in October 31th.

Perezhogin is 23 for all season.

Don't trade young players who's playing well like that. Last year Plekanec finish the year with 29 and 19 for Perez in both 67 games. They'll inscrease by 20 points each for sure.


Last edited by GSK*: 10-22-2006 at 02:57 PM.
GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.