HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Spin

Old
10-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
The Spin

Did anyone else notice Markov's new move? You know, the one where he stops and spins away from a fore checker. Anyone know what I mean? Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it.

Streit did it too once, but Markov's been doing it every game for the last 3-4 games.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:13 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Yeah he did it to the right of Aebischer right beside the net it was dangerous, but exciting, Brisbeois did the same play later in the game as well.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:15 PM
mcphee

Glad you mentionned that, I noticed last night, I didn't know Serge Savard was coaching our D. That was his trademark move.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:18 PM
JMMR

I thought it was Denis Savard that the Savardian Spin was all about. Thats cool how they both did it though.

Old
10-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Yeah, that's a puck protection move. I was surprised to see it pop out in play.

You need to be quick on your feet and have good puck handling to do it. I could do it if the forechecker didn't have that long a reach or wasn't very very skilled at ripping the puck.

It is a very effective move that went out of style during the 80's.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Denis Savard's was an offensive move. Some guy did it in a shootout this year.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Denis Savard's was an offensive move. Some guy did it in a shootout this year.
Think that was Shannon on the Ducks.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I thought it was Denis Savard that the Savardian Spin was all about. Thats cool how they both did it though.
Serge Savard used it on a regualr basis. Often it was a set play that would see Robinso head up ice for a lead pass when Savard started to spin. Danny Gallivan made it famous by calling it a Savardian spinorama. Denis Savard, waterbug that he was, used every move and deke that the human body would contort to. At some point, younger fans attributed the spinorama, Savardian name to him, an issue that always annoyed someone as anal as myself.

I think Doug Harvey used a similar move, from things I noticed on old film.

Old
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Yeah he did it to the right of Aebischer right beside the net it was dangerous, but exciting, Brisbeois did the same play later in the game as well.
I remember Breezer doing that, except when he gave the puck to the opposing defender, and the spin was to try to get back into the play.

EquabaleAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:44 PM
JMMR

Thanks Mcphee. I will now tell people the Savardian Spin is Serge not Denis.
I hope Markov starts doing it all the time.

Old
10-22-2006, 03:44 PM
bayrider

Markov's been doing that for the last few games now.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

The best part is that he never loses the puck when he does it

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:52 PM
RC51

Yep it's all about Carbo doing his job, teaching what he knows.

Don't think for a moment that this is all Carbo knows.

Give it another week and you will see others around the league try this move. Other good coaches will pick up on it. Both to try to do it and to try to find a way to defend against this move.

When it's done well it can leave the forechecker without his shorts and it's also good at the blueline on a powerplay if the penilty killer is not very carefull.

SO far the Habs have one of the very best PP units, the faceoffs are also way up and now this!! What's next?

By the way, this Savardian Spinarama is due to a Serge Savard move and the phrase was coined by Danny Galivan the Habs TV announcer at the time.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yep it's all about Carbo doing his job, teaching what he knows.

Don't think for a moment that this is all Carbo knows.

Give it another week and you will see others around the league try this move. Other good coaches will pick up on it. Both to try to do it and to try to find a way to defend against this move.

When it's done well it can leave the forechecker without his shorts and it's also good at the blueline on a powerplay if the penilty killer is not very carefull.

SO far the Habs have one of the very best PP units, the faceoffs are also way up and now this!! What's next?

By the way, this Savardian Spinarama is due to a Serge Savard move and the phrase was coined by Danny Galivan the Habs TV announcer at the time.
They're going to have Steve Shutt move in with Ryder so he can not only bury the close in shots, he can knock every flying puck into the net baseball style. Talk about 2 players with some simialrity to their games.

Quick question. Why will Ryder not score 60 goals ?

Answer. Guy Lafleur's 55 years old.

Old
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
larue*

Yep set play. But be careful,,,,we now have video,,,unlike years ago,,,,Markov will have to pick his times doing this or he might just do it to the right guy at the wrong time, or the wrong guy at the right time....lol

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
RC51

the trick to this spin play is what the forechecker sees.
He is comming hard at the defenceman. The defenceman shows him the puck to his left, the forechecker adjusts his angle because that puck looks very tempting. As the spin starts the forechecker's momentum takes him right out of the play even if he has the breaks on. The defenceman is on his way up-ice 15-20 feet in front of the forechecker. Show it then take it away.

As I said the key is what the forechecker thinks he sees.

Now Savard took this one step better, if the forechecker adjust his angle way to the right because he figures it's the spin play and he will cut him off at the pass on the right, Savard would watch the forechecker at the start of the spin and if the angle changes Savard would just stop the spin and go left with the puck, leaving again the forechecker chasing on the wrong side.

The only thing the forechecker should do is control is speed, don't come at the defence full tilt, be prepaired to ram the defencman reguardless of where the puck is. Stay in control of your speed and keep the defenceman in front of you.

But in the heat of battle this is hard to do.

Last edited by RC51: 10-22-2006 at 04:48 PM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:48 PM
A1
Everything is awful

Yeah I kinda laughed when I saw Markov pull the Spinorama off twice and then Brisebois do it near the end of the game -.-

On a sour note, last night marked the return of the Zednikian One-hand-on-the-stick-swing-behind-the-net-then-lose- the-puck-o-rama. This moved was executed by none other than Saku Koivu

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Yeah I kinda laughed when I saw Markov pull the Spinorama off twice and then Brisebois do it near the end of the game -.-

On a sour note, last night marked the return of the Zednikian One-hand-on-the-stick-swing-behind-the-net-then-lose- the-puck-o-rama. This moved was executed by none other than Saku Koivu
There is nothing wrong with having that Zednik move in your arsenal. The problem was that it was all Zednik would do. Ever. If he had the puck coming into the offensive zone, you knew that's how it would end up.

And indeed, I was just commenting to a friend today that Markov has been using this little move all season. I definitely didn't see that from him last year.

And he does it well. Great puck control. Keep it up Andrei, and just get your defensive play back up to the level you're capable of!

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Me and my dad were talking about this too. Against Chicago it worked to perfection on the powerplay because of how agressive the forwards were to rush to point. I remember one play where Markov spun at the blueline and the forward went right by him, so Andrei had the whole lane to shoot, but he passed it off instead . Hope he keeps it up though, it's very effective if you can do it the way Markov can!

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Rayne*

I'm just glad Markov has been performing the spin correctly and not coughing it up in Briseboisian fashion.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Ipousse Lapuck

Could someone youtube the move because i missed the last to games for a conference an i don't remember if he did it against calgary

Ipousse Lapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:53 PM
ryanghg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post

Ahahahaha

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote