HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas

Old
07-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Yea a lot of people suddenly willing to throw around 4m+ on a question mark and acting like it's no big deal.
If it's just one year and the Flyers have signed everyone else they wanted/are available, then $4m is no big deal.

The big deal is flexibility going into 14-15.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

I don't think Thomas gets 4 million on a 1 year deal. I'm thinking more like 3 million to 3.5 max. He won't be that expensive. Maybe he even takes less than that. I'm 99 percent sure with the rumors swirling before and again yesterday, Thomas will be our staring goalie.

He and mason will give us a great 1-2 punch if mason keeps up his play from last year. 50 games give or take a few and 32 for mason. Not a bad split. Let mason get his confidence back, ease him into the role. I don't want to just throw him into the fire

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:10 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If it's just one year and the Flyers have signed everyone else they wanted/are available, then $4m is no big deal.

The big deal is flexibility going into 14-15.
True, agreed. It's it one year/4m and it's the last one to get in, good stuff.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:37 AM
JoeFlyer

Straight up I don't like Thomas as a person but as someone said what he has to do is stop the puck, his politics are his (so long as they stay his, which for the most part in Boston they did).

I can see the attraction of having him but I'm not convinced its the right move. Presumably we signed Mason to at least give him a shot and Thomas I would think is a certified no.1, so how much time would Mason get? Then again at 39, how much could Thomas play? I suppose so long as that could be worked out (maybe plit their time more or less 60/40 and then ride Thomas in the playoffs - presuming we make it and presuming the levels of play of both are good) then I it could work. Also depends on the deal, I guess Tim played with Rask trying to take his spot so knowing that we've signed Mason with the view of giving him a shot is not so bad.

Essentially I don't want us to forgo giving Mason a shot for a 39 year old who certainly isn't going to be arround for too many years. As for cap hit I think it's important to remember that the cap has come down so I would imagine that goalies will see a bit less in salary numbers. With a few goalies about this year, and not so many teams desperate, Tim's return should depress the wage demand of other guys too...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I don't really even understand why the politics argument is relevant at all...God forbid every famous person isn't a bleeding heart. The only real issue that matters is at 39 can this guy play, and if so how much is he worth. It would be interesting to see if teams have workouts for him before he signs a contract.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I'm no fan of his political views but that doesn't matter.
But his shenanigans with meeting the president shows a "me first" mentality. Not a team first mentality.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

I really don't care about his political views or his "me first" mentality. My only concern is what happens if he turns out to be a flop. What does he do then? Does he turn into Bryz 2.0 and just ***** and complain constantly? Say incredibly stupid things and just drive people crazy?

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
I really don't care about his political views or his "me first" mentality. My only concern is what happens if he turns out to be a flop. What does he do then? Does he turn into Bryz 2.0 and just ***** and complain constantly? Say incredibly stupid things and just drive people crazy?
So we don't play him, who cares? Even if he is a flop, a floppy Thomas would be a great backup. We have cap space, he presumably won't be looking for a long term deal and we have a promising young guy who wants to start in Mason. I don't see much of a risk here.

If he sucks, get rid of him next summer and find someone else. By then we'll have a more clear understanding of where we stand with Mason.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:27 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
I don't really even understand why the politics argument is relevant at all...God forbid every famous person isn't a bleeding heart. The only real issue that matters is at 39 can this guy play, and if so how much is he worth. It would be interesting to see if teams have workouts for him before he signs a contract.
I think the problem is that he has the potential to make it an issue out of it because it has happened before. We should be worried about his play in net most but you should factor in the that he has the capacy to be a disruptive influence. THB, like I said before, I don't really think he would be...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
So I guess Tim Thomas would have your approval if he supports gay marriage.
The point is not what he supports or not. He has an opinion as does everyone, but sports and politics shouldn't mix. Keep your political agenda to yourself.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
I think the problem is that he has the potential to make it an issue out of it because it has happened before. We should be worried about his play in net most but you should factor in the that he has the capacy to be a disruptive influence. THB, like I said before, I don't really think he would be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
The point is not what he supports or not. He has an opinion as does everyone, but sports and politics shouldn't mix. Keep your political agenda to yourself.
He has for the most part of his career. I don't think two incidents define a player; the White House incident I think was a singular event where he was given a platform by winning the cup. He doesn't seem to go out of his way to make his viewpoints known.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He could be Hitler for all I care as long as he stops the puck.
Wonder what Bryz thinks of Hitler...I think Mussolini would "stand on his head" as a goaltender.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I don't want a 40 year old goalie coming off a year of not playing.

I don't want another off-ice distraction.
The only way he becomes an off-ice distraction is if the flyers win the stanley cup while Obama is in office. FFS, he isn't goose stepping around in his underware while he is home or w/e.

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I'm no fan of his political views but that doesn't matter.
But his shenanigans with meeting the president shows a "me first" mentality. Not a team first mentality.
Not at all IMO. It shows that if he doesn't like or believe in something he is passionate about, he won't fake it for anyone. GOOD FOR HIM, and I welcome an honest, REAL person anyday over a fake one. And he just happens to be a pretty dang good goalie too boot.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Mota

It really depends on the contract for me. If it is a 1 year deal for around 2 mil I think it could be a great signing. I know hes old, but some guys are just freaks and seem to perform at a high level even into their 40s (St Louis, Selanne, Jagr). Lets not forget, at 37 this guy put up the best SV% in history and led his team to a cup. Obviously, we cant expect that here, but the point is he still probably can perform. I think the year off might actually benefit him, especially if the alternative was playing in a condensed season. I also think it would be good for Mason. It doesnt put all the pressure on him but it gives him and opportunity to show he can be the goalie of the future.

I think not signing him based on his political views is ridiculous. The only reason it was an issue is because the media made it an issue. Those in the media with opposing views wrote negatively about it, and those who agreed with his views wanted to hear more from him. If he helps us win a cup, he can snub any politician he wants for all I care.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
laforest
R.I.P Buster

If Timmy comes here he should do fine!

laforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I love how people think Thomas just sat on his ass the entire season he took off

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Jabba the Thomas.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I love how people think Thomas just sat on his ass the entire season he took off
Seriously. He's watched every episode of the Price is right for the last 365 days.

07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Jabba the Thomas.
could we sign his rancor to be our goon?

Old
07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Zac Rancaldo.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
BackWithaVengeance

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...trigued-flyers

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Zac Rancaldo.
Nice try.....but, no.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

And so the Philadelphia Beat Writers start their "off ice" reporting.

I swear there will be a version of Flyers TMZ with Panaccio, Miller, Seravalli, Carchidi and Eklund wearing a Wrestling Mask.

"His strong right wing Republican viewpoints and snub of President Obama embarrassed the Bruins’ organization in 2011.

Given what the Flyers went through with Ilya Bryzgalov’s wide range of comments, most of which concerned the vast expanse of the universe and our role in it, you’d have to wonder whether the Flyers would take a chance on Thomas.

Then again, fans in Philadelphia don’t seem to care about what their athletes say provided they “put up” on the field of play. Or in this case, on the ice.

Which is to say, the two-time Vezina Trophy winner’s politics or beliefs would likely fall on deaf ears if Thomas is playing well in goal."

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
And so the Philadelphia Beat Writers start their "off ice" reporting.

I swear there will be a version of Flyers TMZ with Panaccio, Miller, Seravalli, Carchidi and Eklund wearing a Wrestling Mask.

"His strong right wing Republican viewpoints and snub of President Obama embarrassed the Bruins’ organization in 2011.

Given what the Flyers went through with Ilya Bryzgalov’s wide range of comments, most of which concerned the vast expanse of the universe and our role in it, you’d have to wonder whether the Flyers would take a chance on Thomas.

Then again, fans in Philadelphia don’t seem to care about what their athletes say provided they “put up” on the field of play. Or in this case, on the ice.

Which is to say, the two-time Vezina Trophy winner’s politics or beliefs would likely fall on deaf ears if Thomas is playing well in goal."
While I deplore his political slant and I do believe he would not be distraction free..I think he has way more character to back it up on the ice although there is a risk.

What is ironic is that when Thomas was being shopped the offseason prior to him winning the cup I started a thread vouching that the Flyers sign him and also noted how Meltzer thought the idea of signing Thomas was intriguing. The howls about how he was a medical basket case and old were pretty pronounced by a lot of fans. My argument was that the risk was no greater than going with Leighton and Boucher. Now things have come full circle and he's older and had a year off and still won't be cheap in years and cash yet there is more interest..go figure.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote