HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks qualify Weise, Tanev, Schroeder, Lain, Sweatt, Archibald, Rodin, and Sauve

Old
07-02-2013, 09:43 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Incorrect. We need a 3C for the third line. Schroder is not a viable option there, unless we want to be a lottery pick next year...
Schroeder at 3C makes us a lottery pick? Really??

07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Incorrect. We need a 3C for the third line. Schroder is not a viable option there, unless we want to be a lottery pick next year...
Schroeder on the 3rd line is fine, at least in the regular season and with another year under his belt, he could become even better.... and it still doesn't make sense to trade him until you have a better replacement

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Schroeder on the 3rd line is fine, at least in the regular season and with another year under his belt, he could become even better.... and it still doesn't make sense to trade him until you have a better replacement
Yeah, at some point he needs to be given a shot. It was long a criticism of Vigneault and the team in general that youngsters never seemed to be given a chance. Well, Schroeder has a big one this year.

07-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It was reported yesterday that the Canucks and Weise were closing in on a deal for an extension; so I don't think he's accepting his QO.

We don't want Schroeder or Tanev to, either, because that would just leave them on 1-year deals. Try and get them locked up to something with a bit more term at a reasonable hit.
Supposedly, the cap was really going to climb after this coming season. Management may be asking them to accept just their qualifying offers to save space and expressed intent to make it up to them next year. Dunno if they would play ball, but it would be shrewd way on management's part to figuratively pull money out of their ass.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Schroeder at 3C makes us a lottery pick? Really??
My thoughts exactly..

People forget our center situation from early last year so quickly..

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
My thoughts exactly..

People forget our center situation from early last year so quickly..
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Ebbett - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Ebbett - Booth
Higgins - Burrows - Hansen

For lengthy portions of the season, those were our lines. Somehow we qualified for third, tied with LA and two points ahead of San Jose. But now we're not even a playoff team. Indeed, how people forget.

To those I ask, take Richards, Bergeron and Couture away from their respective teams for 30 games of the season. Then tell me how well you anticipate they play.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Verviticus

i guess they didnt qualify lain or archibald? weird

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
? I thought Schroeder was great in his stints with Higgins and Hansen.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Oh last season, nm then.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Verviticus

hes good hockey player

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i guess they didnt qualify lain or archibald? weird
https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/statu...75114466500608
Quote:
Besides Tanev and Weise, #Canucks also qualified Jordan Schroeder, Bill Sweatt, Kellan Lain, Anton Rodin, Darren Archibald & Yann Sauve.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
biturbo19

*Edit. Nevermind then. A bit late on that. lol.

Glad to see Sauve and Archibald back. Might as well give Sauve one last year at least to show something. And Archibald seems certainly worth keeping.

Sweatt i guess makes sense to keep around as something of a 'veteran AHLer' for the club, though i don't really see much of any NHL utility there. Too much of a tweener really.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

EDIT there we go.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

We qualified Sauve? FFS

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

I though Rodin was already gone.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I though Rodin was already gone.
He is, but qualifying him means we retain his RFA rights for when/if he returns.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:20 PM
thedavid

Somewhat surprised we didn't qualify Joslin, but I imagine age played a factor and an extension could probably still be worked out. Even so, nice to clear some dead weight contracts in Rai and (Stefan) Schneider.

I would've liked to see Sauve and Rodin go unqualified as well but they were both 2nd round picks so we shouldn't be too surprised by that.

thedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Intoewsables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
He is, but qualifying him means we retain his RFA rights for when/if he returns.
Yeah, no harm in retaining his rights just in case he suddenly figures it out over in Europe.

Not a fan of qualifying Sauve. Waste of a contract spot if he accepts.

Intoewsables is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:30 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Of course we qualified Sauve, who did you think was going to fill in for Edler after we trade him?

No but seriously, imagine if a second round pick was able to be slotted into a roster spot five years after his draft year?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
We qualified Sauve? FFS
Why so sour on qualifying a fairly recent 2nd round pick?

Obviously Sauve's development hasn't been what was hoped for...but he's a 23 year old kid with all the tools to be a good, cheap bottom pairing defenceman...who essentially missed a year of development because he got run down in a crosswalk on the street.

He's got size, mobility, a nice shot and decent passing ability. He may be an 'all the tools, no toolbox' guy, but why not qualify him and find out for sure? It's not as though we're rubbing up against the contract limit at this point. Might as well give it at least another year to see what shakes loose. If he ever 'gets it', he'll be a very useful player to have in the organization. A home-grown bottom-pairing guy on a near minimum deal would be a nice thing to have. I still think there's a longshot he bounces back this year and gets back on track for that role eventually.

Sweatty Bill is the one i could care less on a QO for. He's further along in his development and honestly...there just doesn't seem to be any more upside there. It looks pretty close to a finished product...and it's basically a classic 'tweener'. 'Not skilled enough for the top-6' but 'not big/gritty/utilitarian' enough for the bottom-6. Basically a career AHL tweener. I don't mind keeping him around for the time being as something of an 'AHL Vet' right now, but i don't see him ever being the sort of player who is particularly useful to the Canucks as anything other than a '3 game call up when the roster is decimated' type guy.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Why so sour on qualifying a fairly recent 2nd round pick?

Obviously Sauve's development hasn't been what was hoped for...but he's a 23 year old kid with all the tools to be a good, cheap bottom pairing defenceman...who essentially missed a year of development because he got run down in a crosswalk on the street.

He's got size, mobility, a nice shot and decent passing ability. He may be an 'all the tools, no toolbox' guy, but why not qualify him and find out for sure? It's not as though we're rubbing up against the contract limit at this point. Might as well give it at least another year to see what shakes loose. If he ever 'gets it', he'll be a very useful player to have in the organization. A home-grown bottom-pairing guy on a near minimum deal would be a nice thing to have. I still think there's a longshot he bounces back this year and gets back on track for that role eventually.

Sweatty Bill is the one i could care less on a QO for. He's further along in his development and honestly...there just doesn't seem to be any more upside there. It looks pretty close to a finished product...and it's basically a classic 'tweener'. 'Not skilled enough for the top-6' but 'not big/gritty/utilitarian' enough for the bottom-6. Basically a career AHL tweener. I don't mind keeping him around for the time being as something of an 'AHL Vet' right now, but i don't see him ever being the sort of player who is particularly useful to the Canucks as anything other than a '3 game call up when the roster is decimated' type guy.
Sauve is dumb as a sack of hammers and has regressed every year he's been pro. He was playing in the ECHL last season.

I don't think there has ever been a player who was a high draft pick, then an AHL regular who flamed out at that level and ended up in the ECHL for a long stretch .... who then ended up coming back and making the NHL.

The guy is a stone cold, outright bust.

But if we needed some warm bodies in the AHL, fair enough. But that's the thing - we already have too many middling prospects competing for about 3 spots down there. Andersson, Tommernes, Polasek, Blain are all guys who are #4-6 defenders at that level.

What we need is another 1 or 2 high-end AHL defenders to fill out the roster. Not more competition for an already over-crowded bottom pairing.

This feels like the same reluctance to admit mistakes that led to keeping Ballard around forever and the Luongo saga dragging on, albeit on a tinier scale. But then maybe I'm a bit shellshocked after the events of the past week.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
TBIF

Sauve will get it together this year, Rodin will figure his crap out in europe.

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Free Kassian

Weise is better than Tanner ****ing Glass.

Free Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Eh, indifferent on qualifying Sauve. I thought he'd be gone, but I suppose our ECHL squad could use depth.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
vanwest

Sauve has been a disappointment. A couple of years he lookedlike he might hav e a shot and then got hit by the car and missed most of training camp.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote