HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  #176
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,731
vCash: 50
If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this season... the entire management should be fired... Lowe/MacT/Howson and whoever else is back there.

I highly doubt it would happen because Katz doesn't have the balls to do so... but this should be the last kick at the can before everything is swept clean and an entirely new regime is brought in to replace the crap that will have lead to 8 straight years of failure.

1 season to turn this around. Talk is cheap... results and getting to the playoffs is all that matters.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:54 AM
  #177
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this season... the entire management should be fired... Lowe/MacT/Howson and whoever else is back there.I highly doubt it would happen because Katz doesn't have the balls to do so... but this should be the last kick at the can before everything is swept clean and an entirely new regime is brought in to replace the crap that will have lead to 8 straight years of failure.

1 season to turn this around. Talk is cheap... results and getting to the playoffs is all that matters.
Now that would be the bold I could live with.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
  #178
MrBigglesworth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The Good
-Getting rid of Tony Robbins.
-Not making any stupid moves and keeping the core intact.

The Bad
- Not drafting a #2C or a quality tender in the draft.
-Making a bunch of nonsensical promises about "bold moves", while doing nothing to address the immediate needs of the team, and instead using the "currency of choice" to trade down for quantity instead of filling one of the organizational needs with quality.

The Ugly
-Keeping the human cockroach on the coaching staff. Again. Embarrassing. Although, by all accounts, this was out of his control as Harold Ballard 2.0 likely intervened on Buckbeak's behalf.
Any excuse for an unwarranted Katz bashing.
"By all accounts" being...who, exactly? MacT and Bucky are VERY good friends. If there was a 'save' from above Eakins, I don't think it was the owner that made the call.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
  #179
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this season... the entire management should be fired... Lowe/MacT/Howson and whoever else is back there.

I highly doubt it would happen because Katz doesn't have the balls to do so... but this should be the last kick at the can before everything is swept clean and an entirely new regime is brought in to replace the crap that will have lead to 8 straight years of failure.

1 season to turn this around. Talk is cheap... results and getting to the playoffs is all that matters.
They should be, but they won't, and it won't have anything to do with Katz lacking the balls to do so.

They'll stick around because Katz is friends with them, and prides loyalty over anything else. Much like when Mact had to convince Katz to let him walk in 2009 as head coach(he wasn't fired), Mact will be here 5 - 10 years regardless of performance level.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:25 AM
  #180
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
To think that everyone and their dog thought that Katz was a savior for this team. We will never be held hostage by an owner again. (wrong) We will spend to the cap every year (wrong) We have a guy that is a business winner and wants to win badly and will do whatever it takes. (wrong).

Katz is a fan boy owner and is at least as bad if not worse than the Wang/Snow combo on the island. Just that fact that Kevin Lowe is still the firmly entrenched genius running this team is really all that needs to be said.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
  #181
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,923
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
You know how sometimes when you don't have kids you criticize people who do about how they raise them. "Well, my kid will never throw a tantrum in a store or wear a dirty shirt or scream on an airplane or act up in school." And then once you have them, when you're carrying them hollering and kicking out of Safeway you flash back to your own big mouth from your pre-kid days?

I think MacTavish had a weekend sort of like that.

That doesn't make him a bad GM. But I suspect he's going to sound a lot less like an HF poster when he talks about his plans at his next press conference.
This. Mact had an eye opener, but I wont right him off just yet. Great analogy, btw. been there.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:27 AM
  #182
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 500
Love that we're trying to grade Mac T's performance as this point.

The draft? Good to get some additional picks, and honestly it's such a crapshoot after the first round anyway, I'm fine with what he did.

He's obviously working hard and didn't get anywhere with trades, but we won't be able to tell how the 2013 draft has played out for at least a couple of years.

And even then, won't we be praising/blaming/cursing Stu and company? Mac earns his paycheque trying to work trades and sign free agents, it's really the scouting staff that are selling him on certain players.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
  #183
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Love that we're trying to grade Mac T's performance as this point.
He and the org set themselves up for criticism by the way they handled themselves after he was hired.

Anyone that thinks that trading down twice in this draft was plan A or plan B is being silly.

The fact that he failed to use his draft pick resources to add to the team means he now has two choices. He has to pay a hefty price in FA. Or he has to pay a hefty price when making trades (as in using existing good prospects closer to being nhl ready.)

He didn't even add by subtraction by moving Horcoff or Hemksy.

He made promises and projections, he stuck a fork in the previous gm for inaction. He is simply being called to task for his words.


Last edited by Beerfish: 07-02-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:38 AM
  #184
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,513
vCash: 500
Meh, MacT wanted to do something bold, but prices were too high, so he's waiting.

If anything, he should be getting kudos for not making any trades yet.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
  #185
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Any excuse for an unwarranted Katz bashing.
"By all accounts" being...who, exactly? MacT and Bucky are VERY good friends. If there was a 'save' from above Eakins, I don't think it was the owner that made the call.
Robin Brownlee actually.

Quote:
You couldn't be further off if you tried.

Buchberger is Daryl Katz's friend. Period.
http://oilersnation.com/2013/6/28/gr...age/2#comments

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
  #186
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,629
vCash: 500
this past weekend I give him a C-

failed to draft a C or a G with 2 second-rounders, opting to trade down
no significant trades were made to address D, big-winger, G or 3rd line center
failed to offload Horc, Hemmer or Belanger

but didn't make any stupid trades

HOWEVER, still plenty of time to make trades and change the team...these things don't happen overnight and may take a few weeks

talk to me in August

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
  #187
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
In the end MacT turned a 2nd round pick into 2 x 3rd round picks + 3 x 4th round picks.

Zykov
for
Yakimov+Slepyshev+Houck+Peltzer +Muir

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:45 AM
  #188
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Meh, MacT wanted to do something bold, but prices were too high, so he's waiting.

If anything, he should be getting kudos for not making any trades yet.
And how is this different at all, in the least from Mr Dithers Tambellini?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
  #189
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
In the end MacT turned a 2nd round pick into 2 x 3rd round picks + 3 x 4th round picks.

Zykov
for
Yakimov+Slepyshev+Houck+Peltzer +Muir
You mean Zykov or Hagg or Santini or Petin or Jarry or Bowey for the guys you listed.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
  #190
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And how is this different at all, in the least from Mr Dithers Tambellini?
Ideally you want something between Tambo and his polar opposite.

Paying a premium now for the sake of making trades now rather than later would have been just as inept as Tambo, but at the other end of the spectrum.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:51 AM
  #191
MrBigglesworth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Approx half the league did make trades and Mact was quite vocal about being active in that regard. Just talking about it isnt enough. Tambellini never got the benefit of that kind of tolerance.
So what do you want him to do? Make a bad trade for the sake of making one?

I don't get this attitude. Every report we've seen has said MacT was one of, if not the most, active GM out there. Obviously there wasn't a good deal to be made.

Whoever pointed out the Schneider, Clutterbuck, Bolland, and Coburn details was pretty bang on, IMO.
Schneider...we beat Jersey's offer, Gillis didn't want him in division.
Clutterbuck...not sure why the Wild would have chosen to deal him within the West when they got that kind of a package out of the East.
Bolland...sounds like they gave him the option of going home.
Coburn...Holmgren is obviously asking way too much. Klefbom + 2nd, someone reported?

If he'd done.. 7th overall + 2nd + Marincin as a 'can't say no' for Schneider, then Klefbom + 2nd for Coburn, then 1st 2014 + 3rd for Clutterbuck...the same guys would complain that he dealt all of our draft picks and our 2 best prospects.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, with some of you.

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 AM
  #192
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Ideally you want something between Tambo and his polar opposite.

Paying a premium now for the sake of making trades now rather than later would have been just as inept as Tambo, but at the other end of the spectrum.
Eh? Tambo never made trades, MacT has not made any trades. There is no difference so far. The great fear is that since MacT struck out on three pitches at the draft now he is going to have to over pay in FA or over pay trade wise.

Our viable trade assets before were 1st and 2 2nds this year plus good prospects like: (mps, marinicn, klefbom, etc) Now our viable assets are just the near ready nhl prospects and perhaps next years picks.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
  #193
MrBigglesworth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Robin Brownlee = "By all accounts"???

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
  #194
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
So what do you want him to do? Make a bad trade for the sake of making one?

I don't get this attitude. Every report we've seen has said MacT was one of, if not the most, active GM out there. Obviously there wasn't a good deal to be made.

Whoever pointed out the Schneider, Clutterbuck, Bolland, and Coburn details was pretty bang on, IMO.
Schneider...we beat Jersey's offer, Gillis didn't want him in division.
Clutterbuck...not sure why the Wild would have chosen to deal him within the West when they got that kind of a package out of the East.
Bolland...sounds like they gave him the option of going home.
Coburn...Holmgren is obviously asking way too much. Klefbom + 2nd, someone reported?

If he'd done.. 7th overall + 2nd + Marincin as a 'can't say no' for Schneider, then Klefbom + 2nd for Coburn, then 1st 2014 + 3rd for Clutterbuck...the same guys would complain that he dealt all of our draft picks and our 2 best prospects.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, with some of you.
1) He is the one that said he was impatient and was going to be bold and mused about using picks for live players, not the fans.
2) How is macT any different than our previous gm at all? Tambo said the same thing and did the same thing.

You either succeed in your task or you fail. for being such a 'smart' guy he set himself up for fail by the way he and the org talked just after he was hired.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
  #195
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
So what do you want him to do? Make a bad trade for the sake of making one?

I don't get this attitude. Every report we've seen has said MacT was one of, if not the most, active GM out there. Obviously there wasn't a good deal to be made.

Whoever pointed out the Schneider, Clutterbuck, Bolland, and Coburn details was pretty bang on, IMO.
Schneider...we beat Jersey's offer, Gillis didn't want him in division.
Clutterbuck...not sure why the Wild would have chosen to deal him within the West when they got that kind of a package out of the East.
Bolland...sounds like they gave him the option of going home.
Coburn...Holmgren is obviously asking way too much. Klefbom + 2nd, someone reported?

If he'd done.. 7th overall + 2nd + Marincin as a 'can't say no' for Schneider, then Klefbom + 2nd for Coburn, then 1st 2014 + 3rd for Clutterbuck...the same guys would complain that he dealt all of our draft picks and our 2 best prospects.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, with some of you.
It's always like that here though.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
  #196
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
To think that everyone and their dog thought that Katz was a savior for this team. We will never be held hostage by an owner again. (wrong) We will spend to the cap every year (wrong) We have a guy that is a business winner and wants to win badly and will do whatever it takes. (wrong).

Katz is a fan boy owner and is at least as bad if not worse than the Wang/Snow combo on the island. Just that fact that Kevin Lowe is still the firmly entrenched genius running this team is really all that needs to be said.
Yeah, let's go back to the EIG and rip up the new arena plans! Rah rah rabble rabble! We can throw some make up on that pig we call Rexall and watch as our team turns into Islanders v2.0

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
  #197
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You mean Zykov or Hagg or Santini or Petin or Jarry or Bowey for the guys you listed.
Sure.. ONE of them .. and no not the guy you come back in 3 yrs and say we couldve picked him ..

Zykov is who LA picked and was the BPA by most accounts .. Would have filled a need in EDM.. bigger skiled LWer \ Russian to compliment Yak (alos fits based on who we picked in 3rd round)

Jarry would be Moroz'ish pick

Hagg probably not since we got Nurse with 1st, Petan too small etc etc ..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
  #198
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Robin Brownlee = "By all accounts"???
A reporter going on the record saying Buchberger is friends with Katz?

Ya, Im gonna say that is reliable information.

Are you saying Robin is lying or making stuff up?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
  #199
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Sure.. ONE of them .. and no not the guy you come back in 3 yrs and say we couldve picked him ..

Zykov is who LA picked and was the BPA by most accounts .. Would have filled a need in EDM.. bigger skiled LWer \ Russian to compliment Yak (alos fits based on who we picked in 3rd round)

Jarry would be Moroz'ish pick

Hagg probably not since we got Nurse with 1st, Petan too small etc etc ..
It's amazing.

***** if we do something, ***** if we don't do something.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
  #200
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Sure.. ONE of them .. and no not the guy you come back in 3 yrs and say we couldve picked him ..

Zykov is who LA picked and was the BPA by most accounts .. Would have filled a need in EDM.. bigger skiled LWer \ Russian to compliment Yak (alos fits based on who we picked in 3rd round)

Jarry would be Moroz'ish pick

Hagg probably not since we got Nurse with 1st, Petan too small etc etc ..
These are all your projections and evaluations. The oilers could have picked any single one of the guys I listed. Hagg is a different kind of Dman than nurse and we already have a number of quality dman prospects. Petan too small, remember MacT;s skill mantra?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.