HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

who else feels our PK is becoming overrated?

Old
10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
canada_habs2006

vCash: 500
who else feels our PK is becoming overrated?

I don't know if it's me, but the commentators are always praising and complimenting our penalty kill, saying how its the best in the NHL and stuff, but i feel like the stats don't really mean much at this point.

i mean, Yes for sure we've improved from last year, but i think its more that the teams we have faced haven't been able to get their powerplays going, and the goals just haven't come on their powerplays so far.

I would say our PK by the end of the season should remain in the top 10, but not the top 5.

canada_habs2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:46 PM
henri2014

Well right now we have a great PK. Im really confident when we have a penality that we wont get scored on, we dont give the other team many chances.

We arent giving the center of the ice to the team and tahts why we are so good. Having guys like carbo and jarvis must have an effect on pk for sure.

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:48 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
How many shots did the avs get on Aebischer last night while on the power play. The Habs clog the shooting lanes.
I believe it is tough to overrate the habs 2nd overall PK.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
les Habs

I don't think it's overrated. If we're first in the league I don't see how that's overrated.

les Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
mcphee

I guess the way it works is that you're #1 until you're not. #'s don't lie, though there are clutch categories like defending on the pk while a goal ahead in the 3rd.

I don't know if anyone remembers Carbo being mic'ed last season where he told Gainey that until they were willing to block shots, they wouldn't get better. The Begin's and Murray's set a good example. They seem to attack the puck on the perimeter now, whereas under CJ, they would collapse down low. I remeber watching The Canes slaughter them during the season, mainly on the PP, woth Staal and co. scoring at will from the point. Add in the fact that the CH have players like Higgins and Plekanec who are fast enough to force turnovers on the point, and Bonk and Johnson who read each other so well on the pk.

I don't see hwy they won't be a good unit all year.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
x-bob

I think it will start to go down soon that's for sure. We were very lucky yesterday not to get scored on more on the PK.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Well if we're aggressive on it, it will never be overrated 'cause it works. I believe we saw a little more of a passive PK lately and that won't be good. But if it's not good, at one point, it will show on the stats. 'Cause it's not like other stats, the numbers in that case tells the story. If it's not good, it means they'll score, which means we'll drop.

If it's something right now, it's underrated, 'cause nobody talks about us, or would expect this and we're 1st.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006 View Post
I don't know if it's me, but the commentators are always praising and complimenting our penalty kill, saying how its the best in the NHL and stuff, but i feel like the stats don't really mean much at this point.

i mean, Yes for sure we've improved from last year, but i think its more that the teams we have faced haven't been able to get their powerplays going, and the goals just haven't come on their powerplays so far.

I would say our PK by the end of the season should remain in the top 10, but not the top 5.
Quick question for you...don't you think it's possible that the teams we have faced were not able to get they powerplays going because we were good on the PK?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

You saw last nights game I hope. Guys like Murray and Begin were getting in all the shooting lanes while Johnson and Bonk would clear it the second they got the puck. Koivu and Higgins always look for an offensive break which has so far resulted in 3 goals(Technically, the Rivet goal last night was mostly set up on the PK)

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006 View Post

I dont think so....But I am concerned that last night we had 2 penatly kills that spent the whole 2 minutes in the defensive zone. But on the 2nd one Colorado barely got a shot.

Now..you are saying that the teams we faced havent had their powerplay going. What about the other PK arround the league? did you check for that too? Did you watch other teams on the penalty kill enough to say we are overrated? What about the other teams....then who is underrated? It's hiligh subjective and I really think overrated is definetly not the right word.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Kirk Muller*

I don't think it's been over-rated, the pkers have been very effective.

However, I find the penalty kill to be over-rated in general. Fans and commentators give too much praise whenever a PK unit clears the puck down the ice or kills off a penalty. The fact is that the PP is not supposed to score (only 20% of the time), yet I've often heard the RDS commentators talk about "miracles" whenever Montréal kills off a penalty and fans cheers loudly any time the puck goes out the zone.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I don't think it's been over-rated, the pkers have been very effective.

However, I find the penalty kill to be over-rated in general. Fans and commentators give too much praise whenever a PK unit clears the puck down the ice or kills off a penalty. The fact is that the PP is not supposed to score (only 20% of the time), yet I've often heard the RDS commentators talk about "miracles" whenever Montréal kills off a penalty and fans cheers loudly any time the puck goes out the zone.
Miracles ? Maybe they described a save as miraculous ? I don't think you can over estimate the effect of the special teams in the game now. As long as nearly 50% of the game is spent on the pk or pp, both huge importance. In fact if a player can't play on either, he will have a hard time being of much value.

Old
10-22-2006, 02:56 PM
goalchenyuk

i enjoy the fact that the Habs are for now first for the PK and not so far for the takeoffs ( mise au jeu ? ) . Two things where Carboneau was very good .

I saw the otherday a report where he was teaching the centers , how to played the faceoffs , and the result is very very good .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:58 PM
larue*

Ahhhh stats.........dont you love em. Me I dont care.....but I will tell you one thing.......it is nice to sit back at home (cold beer in hand) watching us kill penalty after penalty..............for now that is.

I just hope it continues.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Miracles ? Maybe they described a save as miraculous ? I don't think you can over estimate the effect of the special teams in the game now. As long as nearly 50% of the game is spent on the pk or pp, both huge importance. In fact if a player can't play on either, he will have a hard time being of much value.
No, I've heard Houde get carried away and say "miraculeux!" whenever a penalty is killed off against a team with a decent offence or powerplay.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Talent Analyst

With Bonk-Johnson , Begin-Murray , Koivu-Higgins and have Carbonneau , Jarvis and Muller ... how cannot be in the top of the league ?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well if we're aggressive on it, it will never be overrated 'cause it works. I believe we saw a little more of a passive PK lately and that won't be good. But if it's not good, at one point, it will show on the stats. 'Cause it's not like other stats, the numbers in that case tells the story. If it's not good, it means they'll score, which means we'll drop.

If it's something right now, it's underrated, 'cause nobody talks about us, or would expect this and we're 1st.....
I don't think it's a matter of being passive or aggressive, it's knowing the team you're playing against and adapting.

We were really passive last night against Colorado, cause you have to be. They have no big shot from the point, so we let them pass around the perimeter and took away the down low. Anytime there was a hint of trouble, all 4 guys were in the slot. It worked awesome.

Coaching is huge on special teams, and our staff excels at that part of the game. We've got mini-Carbo's out there. Active sticks, clogging up passing lanes and blocking shots.

And anyone who doubs whether Garth Murray has a place on this team should watch that game again. He was excellent on the PK. Much smarter player than he's given credit for.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Taupy

Don't forget that we also have the 2nd best PP.

2nd in PK
2nd in PP

I hope that we continue in that way. I'm very confident this year.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:03 PM
RC51

It's not over rated.

Carbo is having everyone play his zone. a 4 zone PK, one for each player. Don't chase, leave the player on the outside, stay in your personel zone. Take away all the passing lanes including the cross ice lanes. Keep your stick ON THE ICE at all times.

The Habs killed off a few penilties that had them stuck in thier own zone for almost the full two minutes and yet nobody scored.
When is the last time you saw this?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
i enjoy the fact that the Habs are for now first for the PK and not so far for the takeoffs ( mise au jeu ? ) . Two things where Carboneau was very good .

I saw the otherday a report where he was teaching the centers , how to played the faceoffs , and the result is very very good .
pssst faceoff, [ help from the tete caree]

Koivu made the comment that in his entire career, he had never been instructed on faceoffs. Strange ehh ?

I don't know that Carbo and co. are going to be great coaches though I'm pleased so far. I like the attn. to detail that we've seen.

It's easy to be overly optimistic after a good start and a big comeback win in a game none of wanted them to lose, but it's fun right now.

Old
10-22-2006, 03:19 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
pssst faceoff, [ help from the tete caree]

Koivu made the comment that in his entire career, he had never been instructed on faceoffs. Strange ehh ?

I don't know that Carbo and co. are going to be great coaches though I'm pleased so far. I like the attn. to detail that we've seen.

It's easy to be overly optimistic after a good start and a big comeback win in a game none of wanted them to lose, but it's fun right now.
Yeah I remember playing this pickup game against our bosses at work. I played center and I learned this trick all myself. I kept winning the faceoff in their zone dlike staight back to the defence played ended. This happend 3 times in a row. All I did was the reverse draw and it went right to him the defence and shot on goal and whistle. Well after three tries I notice a center change for the other team (real show boater saying I am going to put and end to this). I laughed......I just put my stick down knowing he was going to pull mine away and shot the puck in the net. It was funny. My point is you dont have to be taught faceoffs. It is one on oneand once you watch a few vids or just watch the opposition you can easily win your share.
Thanks for listening and have a nice evening...........

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:41 PM
korky00

Why do everything has to be overated on this board???? I mean..can't we just have a good PK ?..noooo..of course not...

korky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
oop007*

You can't really say it's overrated. It's based on stats... fact. It's more-so luck then being overrated. Montreal has been playing very well on the PP and PK, but some of the PK's were just plain lucky.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
With Bonk-Johnson , Begin-Murray , Koivu-Higgins and have Carbonneau , Jarvis and Muller ... how cannot be in the top of the league ?
Methink along the same lines.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Drive425

I don't think the PK is overated. Considering who is behind the bench and the considerable improvement in faceoff percentage we should have a very effective PK. I'd say(barring major injuries)it should remain in the top 7 most of the season.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote