HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliotte Friedmann's 30 thoughts

Old
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Elliotte Friedmann's 30 thoughts

Quote:
6. Why did Jones fall to No. 4? Nothing personal. It's just that Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov and Jonathan Drouin have elite offensive potential. As defensive-minded as NHL teams can be, most will say you can't win the Stanley Cup if you can't score. The facts support the theory with the exception of 2011-12 -- the only season since Lockout II in which no team among the Top 10 in goals reached the conference finals.
Pretty much, dead last in Goals Scored last season, take a defenseman, after couple days of thinking about and rehabbing the alcohol out of my body, probably should've taken the short Swedish center that went to Carolina

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:10 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Pretty much, dead last in Goals Scored last season, take a defenseman, after couple days of thinking about and rehabbing the alcohol out of my body, probably should've taken the short Swedish center that went to Carolina

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Filipthefuture

And so starts the heavy drinking again ....... just when I was getting use to the fact that this was the right pick for us

Filipthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Predsrule

Lindholm is a great prospect indeed but can't pass up on jones for him.. Would be interested to see if car or clgy made any offers to move up... But with the info given again we had to take jones

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Shake your head all you want, the proof is in the pudding

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol at the proof.... It's July 2nd.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
glenngineer

And we're taking EF seriously? Isn't this guy a joke?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not to mention, hasn't Lindholm said he's playing in Europe next season? How would he help our scoring woes next season if he's not even in the NHL.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Jones will help our scoring out a ton. He will lead rushes and makes great passes out of the d-zone. He also is very good on the PP. While it may not be a flashy forward he was by far the BPA and I'm happy to have him.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
lol at the proof.... It's July 2nd.
Totally agree.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Lindholm is a great prospect indeed but can't pass up on jones for him.. Would be interested to see if car or clgy made any offers to move up... But with the info given again we had to take jones
And come on, Lindholm is going to be anyone's offensive savior? Jones was clearly the best pick at that spot in the draft.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Jones will help our scoring out a ton. He will lead rushes and makes great passes out of the d-zone. He also is very good on the PP. While it may not be a flashy forward he was by far the BPA and I'm happy to have him.
This.

Been wondering how good Jones is on breakout, that was our weakness last year.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
And come on, Lindholm is going to be anyone's offensive savior? Jones was clearly the best pick at that spot in the draft.
Lindholm will probably be a good 2nd like center in a couple years. He won't play this next season.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Shake your head all you want, the proof is in the pudding
What proof?

That Swedish center might solve our scoring woes.....In 2016-2017. He's contracted back to Sweden next year, 14-15 in the AHL, then probably a year or two to develop. And even then we better hope he turns into Giroux instead of a nice 50-60 pt guy which is the most likely scenario with Lindholm.

Meanwhile, we get the best player in the draft who will be playing on our team in 3 months, and hopefully helping to solve the real problem with our offense - the fact that only our top pair could turn the puck around and move it out of our zone.

Once the top 3 forwards all went, picking a project or a guy with limited upside is just, well,

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
This.

Been wondering how good Jones is on breakout, that was our weakness last year.
I can honestly say I didn't do all that much research on Jones before the draft because I thought we had no chance to get him. Since then though I have looked for everything I can find to see how he plays and holy ****. He handles the puck like a flashy forward does and makes long breakout passes with ease. His slap shot and wrister are deadly from anywhere on the ice. He also shows amazing patience with the puck and sees plays extremely well. After looking at him closer I am dumbfounded as to how he fell to 4...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
I can honestly say I didn't do all that much research on Jones before the draft because I thought we had no chance to get him. Since then though I have looked for everything I can find to see how he plays and holy ****. He handles the puck like a flashy forward does and makes long breakout passes with ease. His slap shot and wrister are deadly from anywhere on the ice. He also shows amazing patience with the puck and sees plays extremely well. After looking at him closer I am dumbfounded as to how he fell to 4...
Great to hear. thanks.

Haven't seen much of him other than the same highlights they show over and over.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Jubal

So the point of this thread is you want the rest of us to be as miserable about the pick as you are?

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
EF and Bobby Mac are my two favorite hockey writers. What he said is not inherently wrong, Dave is just twisting the words to justify his point. We would have been the laughing stock of the draft if we had drafted Lindholm / Monahan over Seth Jones.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
predfan24

If Poile would have taken Lindholm over Jones he should've been fired on the spot.

General consensus was

Tier 1

Jones
Mack
Drouin
Barkov

and way down here

Lindholm

No one will know for sure until there careers get going but you don't sacrifice quality for positional needs in the draft.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Yeah it's amazing he fell to 4 especially when you consider all 3 teams in front of us needed a player like him badly. His attributes are off the chart. He seems to have good hockey sense on top of all his physical talents as well. Just goes to show at least some GM's value franchise forwards over franchise D-men and maybe they are right. You can win the SC with an elite group of forwards and just a solid group of D-men and a good goalie but none of those 3 teams have anywhere close to the D corps they need be contenders so it's puzzling.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Yeah it's amazing he fell to 4 especially when you consider all 3 teams in front of us needed a player like him badly. His attributes are off the chart. He seems to have good hockey sense on top of all his physical talents as well. Just goes to show at least some GM's value franchise forwards over franchise D-men and maybe they are right. You can win the SC with an elite group of forwards and just a solid group of D-men and a good goalie but none of those 3 teams have anywhere close to the D corps they need be contenders so it's puzzling.
I am good friends with a Colorado fan and we talk hockey daily. He is pissed that they passed on Jones because they need a d-man. He said the only downside is that he is right handed and they are stacked with right handed d-men right now.

Even with Jones playing the right side I still do not know how you justify in todays NHL going for another elite center over an elite d-man. You can't win the cup without defense and colorado still doesnt have one...

Old
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Elliotte Friedman is no joke. I agree with Cashville in that Friedman, MacKenzie (and I'll add Lebrun and Allen) are the best of the best. For me, Friedman's 30 Thoughts are up there with Peter King's MMQB column for NFL news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
EF and Bobby Mac are my two favorite hockey writers. What he said is not inherently wrong, Dave is just twisting the words to justify his point. We would have been the laughing stock of the draft if we had drafted Lindholm / Monahan over Seth Jones.
I agree with Cashville again. Dave is trying a bit too hard to make his point, even though it's a point I can get behind conceptually regarding the need for offense. Having said that, like I mentioned in the blog, once Poile was on the clock with the three forwards gone, I fully believe that Seth Jones was the right choice.

Oh, and to better illustrate the need for offense, Friedman's point number 7 in that article was even more on point (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
7. Otherwise, only five of the 28 Stanley Cup semifinalists since 2006 were not a Top 10 scoring team: Anaheim Ducks (15th in 2006); Edmonton (13th in 2006); Carolina Hurricanes (16th in 2009); Montreal Canadiens (23rd in 2010); and Boston (11th in 2013).
To be fair, that same list should be compiled with goals against in mind.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote